Author Topic: Boston  (Read 110661 times)

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
Re: Boston
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »
Great idea!

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Who wants to try and get together the Boston metro crew again?

Definitely interested, but won't be able to host this time.  May I suggest a picnic in the park if no one else is able to host?

Kimbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2013, 05:29:49 AM »
I'm interested.  After spending almost a year reading MMM posts, it would be fun to meet like-minded people in RL.

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »
Fellow Bostonians and New Englanders - My wife and I hope that you and yours are safe following yesterday's tragic events.

For those of us in the city, it was a startling revelation to see folks who should have been overjoyed - the marathoners and their families, as well as visitors celebrating Patriot's Day - were instead bewildered, heartbroken, and completely disoriented in a city that had just suffered a deep wound.

As a transplanted New Yorker and Washingtonian, I was overwhelmed with the outpouring of heroism and compassion that flowed from our community in a fashion similar to what we witnessed in NYC and DC those years ago. We saw that folks responded immediately - event participants, police, members of the national guard, EMTs - as the chaos ensued: running into the smoke instead of from it. And then we opened our veins and our doors to those who needed it, showing that we're a big town: not a faceless city.

Stay vigilant; stay safe.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »
New to Forum Moustachian interested in summer meeting.  Anyone else game?

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 06:10:40 AM »
We're willing to host. If someone else wants to, please say so. Otherwise, I'll put up a scheduling poll in a couple of days.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2013, 08:29:58 AM »
Excellent! I've been wanting to organize something, but sadly my place is too small to host more than 3 or 4 people at most. Thanks for offering!

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
Something soon would be awesome ... We're moving into a new place downtown on 20 July, but would be happy to join the local crew sometime after that!

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
We're planning a pot-luck. Please share your availability on this Doodle poll:
http://doodle.com/ptgg773zmfxahgb7

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »
We're planning a pot-luck. Please share your availability on this Doodle poll:
http://doodle.com/ptgg773zmfxahgb7

Will review and append availability. I have got to meet that avatar ...

Michelle119

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
I found this blog in the last few months and just finished catching up on the articles. I'd love to meet up with some locals. I'm not sure of my availability yet for August though.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »
Thank you for organizing.  I just signed up.

Jerod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
Hello, I'm new to the forums but I've been a reader for 2-3 months now, I'm excited to actually meet some more people involved in achieving FI, especially ones with more experience.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2013, 12:34:31 PM »
We have a winner: Saturday, August 17 @ 3pm

PM me for location if I don't yet know you're interested. I'll send out notes to the list I have soon enough.

Bring your own item to grill plus one small item to share.  Feel free to respond with comments on what you'll bring.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »
Thank you for hosting, Velocistar.  I'll bring a salad with greens and whatever's in season at that time.  Looking forward to it.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2013, 06:29:25 PM »
I'll be driving over from Davis Square. If you need a ride, just message me here.

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »
We're much closer than predicted, too, coming from Cambridge/Northpoint. Do we need hot dogs??!!

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2013, 09:03:58 AM »
We're much closer than predicted, too, coming from Cambridge/Northpoint. Do we need hot dogs??!!

I like hot dogs. For what it's worth, I prefer the side-loading style bun.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2013, 08:00:59 AM »
Thanks Velocistar for hosting a fantastic meetup!

rosaz

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »
I missed the last one, but anyone up for a round 2?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2014, 02:03:23 PM »
Tentatively interested

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2014, 03:44:45 PM »
That would be great! My apartment is small, though. Would anyone else want to host?

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2014, 08:05:51 AM »
I think I could host in Watertown.  I'm directly on the 70/70A bus route and about one very walkable mile from Watertown Square where there are other bus connections.  There is ample on-street parking in the area.  If there is an interest, I will start a 'when2meet' site with some dates and times for people to select from.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2014, 08:35:18 AM »
Excellent! Sounds good, Beardog!

rosaz

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2014, 09:16:40 AM »
That would be great, Beardog!

Nancy

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2014, 07:24:38 PM »
Sounds great! Thanks!

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2014, 05:57:40 AM »
Great!  I've created a 'when2meet' listing here for people to indicate their availability:

http://www.when2meet.com/?1544646-xpywL

I'd like to try for a weekend afternoon between 1:00 and 4:00.  Once we have a critical mass of people signed on,
I will post the date here and PM responders with details.  Looking forward to it!

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2014, 04:57:50 AM »
Greetings, Boston Moustachians.

It looks like we have a date of March 15, from 1-4 for a get together here in Watertown.
I will PM everyone who has signed up on the weekend before with details.

~ Beardog

tim_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
I'm definitely interested in this! I'm relatively close to Watertown, so the bus route should be doable for me.

Is it gonna be a lunch thing? A pot-luck might be fun.

bachi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
I'd be interested in coming to the event! I RSVP'd on when2meet, not sure if that counts as "signing up" :).

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
I'm definitely interested in this! I'm relatively close to Watertown, so the bus route should be doable for me.  Is it gonna be a lunch thing? A pot-luck might be fun.
bachi

Hello tim_p.  I'm planning to provide some modest hors d'oeuvres and beverages and if people want to bring a small snack or drink, that would be great but not necessary.  But it's not going to be a lunch thing.

I'd be interested in coming to the event! I RSVP'd on when2meet, not sure if that counts as "signing up" :).

Hello bachi.  Please consider yourself 'signed up'.  (-:

Which brings me to a little pickle that I find myself in.  I don't have a way of knowing who you are if you didn't sign up with a distinctive MMM moniker name or haven't posted a reply here with a name that matches the one you used to sign up on the when2meet link.  So Nancy, Tim, Velocistar, PFGal, bachi and Tim - I know who you are.  Doing this for the first time, I did not think this part through so I'm going to need to ask the others of you to please PM me so I know who to send my location to. 

In the meantime, anyone else who sees this and wants to join us, please sign up on http://www.when2meet.com/?1544646-xpywL and respond to this post or PM me.  I will send out my location to everyone next weekend by PM.

Looking forward to meeting you/seeing you again.

Bostongirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
@Beardog, do you have room for one more? I am relatively new to Badassity but would love to be inspired by you all.

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2014, 04:46:14 AM »
Hello Bostongirl,

We most definitely have room for you.  I will be in touch with details over the weekend.

~ Beardog

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »
Unfort, I don't think I can make that weekend.  :(  But if things change, I'll let you know.

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2014, 06:42:16 AM »
Looking forward to the meetup today.

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »
Thank you for hosting, Beardog.  And thanks to everyone else that came and shared in the delightful conversation.

A suggestion was made for an outdoor meet-up when it gets warmer, perhaps on Boston Commons. 

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »
It was great seeing old friends and meeting new folks yesterday! Thanks for hosting Pam!

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »
Thank you for hosting, Beardog.  And thanks to everyone else that came and shared in the delightful conversation.

A suggestion was made for an outdoor meet-up when it gets warmer, perhaps on Boston Commons.

I'd be up for that.  I'm new to the MMM world, so it would be good to meet some other Mustaches.

racherinh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »
I saw that I just missed the last meet-up - how do people feel about picking a park and picnicking for the next one, now that the weather is improving? Maybe in May since you all got together just a few weeks ago?
Of course, in the US you can't drink in parks, so it couldn't be byob =(.

I would love to get information on the next meet-up. I have made some nice friends since moving to Arlington, but most of them think we're a little insane, especially for biking on Mass Ave or living with fewer bedrooms than we have children. I would love to chat about more Boston area frugal hacks - we're shocked at how expensive many things (like groceries) are here.

I hope everyone is enjoying our spring weather, and I hope to meet some of you soon.

FRFC3S

« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2014, 09:09:13 AM »
A picnic or biking sounds awesome.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
As someone who can't bike due to disability, I'd vote for a picnic :) Maybe the Arboretum would be nice?

Or if someone has a yard and is willing to host us inside if it rains, that would be even better. Does anyone have a yard?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »
As someone who can't bike due to disability, I'd vote for a picnic :) Maybe the Arboretum would be nice?

Or if someone has a yard and is willing to host us inside if it rains, that would be even better. Does anyone have a yard?

I can't if we're doing it in May, but we might be able to do it near us sometime if people don't mind being out of the city a bit.  Have to figure out when it might work - still settling in from the move.  We live about 0.5 miles from Horn Pond in Woburn, so can either picnic at Horn Pond or in our backyard.  It's about 1.5 miles from the closest train station.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2014, 08:42:46 AM »
That sounds great! If it's a day I can make it, I can drive 4 others from the Somerville area and/or from the train station.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:25:03 PM by PFgal »

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »
We'd be interested in attending the next meet-up. A picnic sounds like a great idea. Let us know when and where!

ericsodt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2014, 02:23:18 PM »
Any plans on meeting up again?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2014, 02:40:25 PM »
What about the weekend of June 14/15?  Can do it at our place if people don't mind blankets on the ground (or bringing their own folding chairs).  We haven't really gotten around to getting outdoor furniture yet. 

ETA: Here's the most recent photo I have of the backyard, following our mid-April storm.  Or we can do it at Horn Pond, as I suggested above, with ours as a rain backup.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:51:35 PM by CommonCents »

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2014, 06:51:08 PM »
What about the weekend of June 14/15?  Can do it at our place if people don't mind blankets on the ground (or bringing their own folding chairs).  We haven't really gotten around to getting outdoor furniture yet. 

ETA: Here's the most recent photo I have of the backyard, following our mid-April storm.  Or we can do it at Horn Pond, as I suggested above, with ours as a rain backup.

I'll check with the DW when she gets back from rock climbing, but I think we'd be down for that.  I even know where that is.:)

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2014, 10:53:08 AM »
What about the weekend of June 14/15?  Can do it at our place if people don't mind blankets on the ground (or bringing their own folding chairs).

That works for us! Would love to attend!

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2014, 05:55:37 PM »
I could make that :)

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »
It looks like June 15 is Fathers Day, so that won't work for us.  We could possibly to June 14.