Author Topic: Boston  (Read 110617 times)

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Boston
« Reply #200 on: June 11, 2015, 12:44:45 PM »
Also, you folks who say you can't attend should probably email me also so we can collate email addresses for people and make some sort of email list for going forward

cam513143

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »
I live in Quincy and definitely interested in a meetup!  Won't be able to make the 13th one so soon, but I'll have to keep checking back to see the updates!

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2015, 09:09:56 AM »
Update, meeting time is at noon this Saturday I've lost count of how many are coming, something like 7+.  Again email me at address I posted previously or PM me with your email address if you want to come to this or future meetups and we'll get an email list going soon enough.

RupeDawg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2015, 10:58:37 AM »
I saw this too late but I would be interested in a meeting.

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2015, 07:55:13 AM »
Thanks for coming everyone.  A couple things:
We're going to make a Google Group starting with the email addresses.  I just want to check on the name.  DC folks use "DC Mustachians" (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dc-mustachians) shall we go with "Boston Mustachians"?

When shall we do the next one?
July?  18th or 19th is my vote

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2015, 12:19:16 PM »

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »
Mid-July meet-up anyone? Per discussion in the Google Group, put your availability date/times here: http://when2meet.com/?3176696-8XE9h

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »
Looks like we're probably doing Saturday July 18th at noon at my house.  Join the google group for details

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: August 06, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
Hey all -

Just want to make sure everyone's aware of the Free Fun Fridays (highlandstreet.org)?  To add to the goodness this summer with free concerts, movies and shakespeare.

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2015, 09:25:33 AM »
We have settled on a third Saturday schedule for the next few months (once the weather gets cold we'll re-evaluate, maybe continue monthly or maybe drop back a bit till the spring).
There's a (probably small) propossed meetup happening this Saturday Aug 15th.
Then we have decided on the dates: Sept 19, Oct 17, Nov 21. 

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »
Next meetup:

This Saturday, August 15, at noon, BYO picnic lunch here: https://goo.gl/maps/3ERHx
Orange Line accessible.
If the weather forecast changes for the worse, PM me or join the Google group to get the rain location.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2015, 01:43:20 PM »
(Mods, feel free to delete if you think it necessary)
I apologize for hijacking the thread, but I have a quick question that I feel a bunch of Massachusetts Mustacheans would be able to answer better than anyone. I don't want to derail the thread so if you could send me a message, I'd really appreciate it!

Does anyone know what the software job market is like in Boston? SO is heading to graduate school in a few weeks, and I'd like to avoid 5+ years of long distance. I've seen a lot of job postings, but I know there's a LOT of new grads coming out of MIT, Harvard, Boston College, Tufts, et cetera. I'm guessing there's huge competition for a lot of these jobs?

I can live pretty happily on a small budget, so even with the increased COL I'm not too concerned with getting a high salary, just a steady job where I can gain experience. I have 1 year of experience in .NET/c#, as well as a BS in math/minor in cs with good GPA (3.75).

Thanks guys! If all goes well, maybe I can come to the next meetup ;)

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2015, 02:36:10 PM »
You might not be able to get a job on every street in town, but, every other street is hiring software engineers.

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2015, 04:51:13 AM »
Yes, the software job market is hot in Boston.  For more opinions, see this thread from earlier this year: Tech workers in the Boston area.

On salary, don't sell yourself short---be sure to research (Glassdoor, etc) for the appropriate salary.  Boston is one of the highest paid markets for software engineers.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2015, 08:56:01 AM »
Yes, the software job market is hot in Boston.  For more opinions, see this thread from earlier this year: Tech workers in the Boston area.

On salary, don't sell yourself short---be sure to research (Glassdoor, etc) for the appropriate salary.  Boston is one of the highest paid markets for software engineers.

Thanks for the link! I didn't know about that thread.

bop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2015, 08:28:14 PM »
I just joined the Boston Mustachians Google group, and will try to attend the meetup on Saturday.  Hope to meet some of you then! 

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »
Reminder we have a meetup this Saturday September 19th.

Upcoming dates: Sept 19, Oct 17, Nov 21.

Details in the google group.

Nancy

« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2015, 06:24:13 AM »
Yes! I'm around in the morning/early afternoon.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:25:46 AM by Nancy »

Nancy

« Reply #218 on: November 19, 2015, 01:12:56 PM »
Anyone interested in a free ticket to the White Reaper/ together Pangea concert at The Middle East Upstairs on 11/21? PM me.

Claimed!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 04:34:08 AM by Nancy »

TJ_Foxboro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »
I just joined the Boston Google group.. I am a newbie to MMM stuff and will try to attend future meet ups.

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2016, 09:54:06 AM »
I just joined the Boston Google group.. I am a newbie to MMM stuff and will try to attend future meet ups.

Cool, just found out about this. I joined as well. I'm not a newbie to MMM, but am a newbie to Boston.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2016, 01:48:11 AM »
I just went through everything in MA with Boston in the group name. What exactly is the group name? Thanks for posting about it.

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2016, 02:13:38 AM »
I just went through everything in MA with Boston in the group name. What exactly is the group name? Thanks for posting about it.

Here's the Google group:

We now have a Google group:
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/boston-mustachians

FIREtowin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2016, 09:48:25 PM »
Hi all,

I just requested to join this group as well! If it's still active, please let me know!

Jadot88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »
Hey Everyone just joined the MMM forums and am a new to this whole concept but am absolutely loving it.  I have requested to join the google group and will hopefully meet some of you soon

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: February 17, 2016, 08:55:13 PM »
How did I miss this?  :)

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2016, 08:01:43 AM »
I'm so excited, I'm getting my first dog!!! Yay! But with a dog comes the need for dog supplies.

The way this works is, I'll meet the dog, and if we get along, I'll take her home with me that day. That means I can't buy a lot of what I need in advance, because if I don't adopt her, the dog I end up with might be a different size. I'm going to borrow a crate from my parents for a couple days and then order one online, but where should I get everything else: collar, id tags, leash, food, treats, a few toys..... any suggestions for a chain or a store local to the Somerville area? I know I'll have to lay out some money, and I'm ok with that (I've budgeted for it, of course,) but I don't want to overspend if I can help it.

Thanks!

(I might not be at this weekend's meetup - I'll be busy with dog prep!)

AMMW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: March 02, 2016, 09:22:45 AM »
Lurker here, just signed up for the group as well!

MMMarbleheader

• Stubble
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
Going to Join as well.

Love to meet some like minded people!

turtleguy150

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: March 29, 2016, 07:00:41 PM »
Newbie here looking to join up, I just applied to the Google group!

Kell7279

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: July 13, 2016, 09:14:25 PM »
Been a lurker on the forums for quite a while, but I just signed up for the Google group! I'm really excited about Mustachian meetups in Boston :)

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »
I'm moving (back) to Boston in two weeks, and would be happy to meet up with other Mustachians in the area :)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2016, 06:24:31 PM »
Does anyone in the area use RingPlus for their cell plan? If so, how is it? It looks too good to be true, so I'm wondering about signal quality, including for phone calls. Thanks!

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #233 on: October 28, 2016, 10:45:28 AM »
Hey all, do you want a great deal on an apartment in Davis Square? Or maybe you know someone who does? I'm moving to the suburbs and I'm looking for someone to take over my lease! I'm giving notice to my landlord on Monday - if no one shows interest before then, they'll be raising the rent a lot. Here are the basics, and I can definitely send photos if you're interested and you can come visit.

Large (700+ square feet) 1 bedroom
Corner unit - lots of windows
3rd floor, elevator, nice views
EIK with window
Laundry in Basement
3-4 minute walk to the T and Davis Square (https://goo.gl/maps/f41gHtUtwqM2)
Locked storage unit in basement
Only $1575 including heat!
Move in Dec 20 or later

Please spread the word! If anyone is interested, please email chocolateraindrops44@gmail.com

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #234 on: November 01, 2016, 08:05:24 AM »
I'm moving! Woo hoo! But now I need to hire movers. Can anyone recommend someone local who's reliable and reasonably price? Thanks!

(Moving myself isn't an option - I'm definitely hiring movers, I'm just not sure who.)

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
Hi, NestEggChick.

When I moved in August, I used these folks:

http://www.dnvanlines.com/

I found them to be extremely competent with helping me plan the move, and the young men who executed all the work were sweet, helpful, eager to do a good job, and just plain wonderful to work with.  I did not shop around and get lots of prices, however.  Once I spoke to the staff initially, I knew I wanted to work with them and didn't look any further. 

Hope that helps.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
That's so great! Thanks Beardog!

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #237 on: November 13, 2016, 02:48:52 PM »
I could use some help from mustachian-minded local folks. Sadly, I only have 1 pair of pants that fits, and that's just not enough. Does anyone have recommendations for a place to get inexpensive jeans? I'd like them to last a few seasons, but they don't need to be super sturdy - I'm sure I'll be a different size in a few years, anyway (which is why I only have the 1 pair right now.) I'm looking for low rise skinny jeans, probably a size 6 or 8. Thanks!

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2016, 12:29:33 PM »
Bump.
We still have an active group with monthly meetups
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/boston-mustachians

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2016, 07:19:20 AM »
I could use some help from mustachian-minded local folks. Sadly, I only have 1 pair of pants that fits, and that's just not enough. Does anyone have recommendations for a place to get inexpensive jeans? I'd like them to last a few seasons, but they don't need to be super sturdy - I'm sure I'll be a different size in a few years, anyway (which is why I only have the 1 pair right now.) I'm looking for low rise skinny jeans, probably a size 6 or 8. Thanks!

There is a Goodwill in Davis Square Somerville accessible by red line T. They have sales all the time like $1 for any item of clothing, but their regular prices are cheap anyway. I got a $1 pair of jeans there that I have been wearing daily ever since. They have a ton of womens' jeans in all sizes. The pair I bought were longs, which are hard to find in retail stores. Be prepared to spend some time hunting. The clothing is not sorted by size.

jwbof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2016, 02:12:35 PM »
Did you end up using Ringplus and what is your experience? 275 minutes of sprint is quite a good deal for free. If you have internet at home, then you can probably use a separate VOIP for minutes and even SMS.

I use republic wireless, which also uses sprint when not on VOIP, and have not had any issue, so I imagine ringplus would be fine since it's also VOIP + sprint. I evaluated this option but thought that the ads might be distracting.

SingingEcologist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2017, 06:39:23 AM »
Would love to meet some like-minded folks! Is this group going to meet again?

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #242 on: February 09, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »
Would love to meet some like-minded folks! Is this group going to meet again?

The group meets monthly, but arranges meet ups via the Google Group linked above.

SingingEcologist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2017, 05:14:49 AM »
I did sign up to be a member of the group. I'm new to forums and a total technophobe, so I'm not sure what happens next. Does my application need approval? Will I get an email?
Thanks!

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #244 on: August 15, 2017, 11:05:22 AM »
bump.  We are still active.  Up to 170 members on the google group and meetups once a month or so.

koi140

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2018, 09:45:59 AM »
Hey guys! I just introduced my roommate to being a badass and we're hoping to meet up with some of you! Is https://groups.google.com/d/forum/boston-mustachians still active?

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »
Yes, the group is very active - - meetups about once / month. The Google group is used almost exclusively for coordinating the meetups.

drbliu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #247 on: June 21, 2019, 07:58:34 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm relatively new to Boston (1 year) and recently found out about https://groups.google.com/d/forum/boston-mustachians. I'd love to meet up with some of you. How can I apply to join?

Redyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2019, 06:28:36 AM »
Hi, I've been lurking the forums for a while now and want to get more involved/meet up with like-minded individuals. I'm from west of the city, but can I also join this group?

playdough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #249 on: December 05, 2019, 09:13:29 PM »
Hey there, wondering how to apply or access the Google Groups for MMM meet-up in and around Boston?  The link a couple ppl posted on here gives you an error message.  Would love to make time to meet some MMMers IRL at an upcoming event. Thx!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!