Author Topic: Boston  (Read 110618 times)

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Boston
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2015, 07:35:14 PM »
Seems too cold for the esplanade just yet. We can host again in the meantime. Fill out this schedule poll using your forum name if you're interested in coming. I'll tally up the results and pick a time in a week or two.

http://doodle.com/gfiwg29z8s98uzq7

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
Seems too cold for the esplanade just yet. We can host again in the meantime. Fill out this schedule poll using your forum name if you're interested in coming. I'll tally up the results and pick a time in a week or two.

http://doodle.com/gfiwg29z8s98uzq7
Thank you for hosting! I just filled out the poll. Let us know what to bring!

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
Boston area MMM Meetup
Sunday, April 12, 2pm
PM for details

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2015, 08:13:26 PM »
Our meetup is tomorrow, and the weather is looking pretty good. We'll at least throw the windows open, and if we feel like it, we can head to a park for some sun (though I am plenty sunburned from today, oops).

Send me a message if you want to come and haven't gotten directions yet.

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2015, 01:46:41 PM »
Oops, missed this (just discovered this thread).  Anyway, I will be joining you peeps in future meetups. 

Thomas, 35yo Dad living in Somerville with a toddler

rusbac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »
Hello Boston!

Just started growing my 'stache and would be interested in participating in future events.  I'm living in the Foxboro area.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »
It's almost free entertainment time in the city - all the outdoor movies, concerts and plays you could want!  (I just looked and it doesn't appear that the schedules are up yet, but I anticipate they'll start around mid-June or mid-July, depending on the event.)

Until then, how about an MMM gathering?

Monday, June 1 dinner picnic after work in the Common or Park?  We had batted this idea about in the fall but I don't think it ever happened.

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
I could do the following week but alas not the week of June 1st.  Should use doodle or when2meet?

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2015, 02:52:13 PM »
It's almost free entertainment time in the city - all the outdoor movies, concerts and plays you could want!  (I just looked and it doesn't appear that the schedules are up yet, but I anticipate they'll start around mid-June or mid-July, depending on the event.)

Are you suggesting more frequent gatherings? Cause that would be neat. The Summer after the Winter.

If so, we could generally drop the scheduling polls for the summer, and if someone can't make it to a few in a row, they could organize something themselves and use a poll.

I'm game for a dinner picnic.

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »
A friend of mine puts together a calender of free events in Boston every summer. I figured this is a group who will really appreciate it! It's here:
https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=5qpjq791pdfuvb806b4qkkktm4@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York

I love the idea of a picnic dinner!

Nancy

« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2015, 12:37:50 PM »
6/1 dinner picnic works for me

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »
June 1st works for me. 

JinBoston

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2015, 04:39:07 AM »

Another Bostonian here!   I can't do 6/1, but will hopefully catch up with you all at a later date.

-Jeff

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2015, 08:11:45 AM »
I can't do June 1st, so you folks have fun with that. 
But I would like to propose hosting a BBQ in my "drive-yard" on a weeknight in July (maybe a Wednesday or Thursday)?  My house is conveniently located 20 minutes walk from Harvard, Porter, or Inman Square's.  I have space for 10 people easy.  Does that sound compelling?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »
More frequent gatherings sounds great as not everyone can make every event.

For the June 1, where do people want to meet - Common or Park?  Can people do 5:30 or would 6 be better?

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2015, 09:11:07 AM »
Afraid I'll be away on 6/1, but looking forward  to meeting/catching up with you guys soon!

Nancy

« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2015, 11:27:52 AM »

For the June 1, where do people want to meet - Common or Park?  Can people do 5:30 or would 6 be better?

I'm not sure where these are...and I feel foolish admitting it. I'm flexible on time. Thanks!

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »

I'm not sure where these are...and I feel foolish admitting it. I'm flexible on time. Thanks!

I can do any time after 5-ish, so 5:30 works for me.   "Common" definitely means Boston Common.  I assumed "Park" to mean Norman B. Leventhal Park, a popular picnic area in Downtown Boston (CommonCents, please correct if I assumed incorrectly).

Between those choices, I'd rather meet on the Common, so we have the option to play frisbee or do other sports.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2015, 01:04:32 PM »

I can do any time after 5-ish, so 5:30 works for me.   "Common" definitely means Boston Common.  I assumed "Park" to mean Norman B. Leventhal Park, a popular picnic area in Downtown Boston (CommonCents, please correct if I assumed incorrectly).

Between those choices, I'd rather meet on the Common, so we have the option to play frisbee or do other sports.

Sorry, I used the wrong term.  I meant Public Gardens versus Boston Common.  Both basically same location, just one offers more Frisbee options and the other more flower viewing options.  Common it is. 

FrugalThrift

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2015, 07:07:09 AM »
More frequent Boston events sounds awesome. 

If some of the future dates are organized anytime on Saturdays, this may work best for those who commute from outside of Boston to attend. 

Thanks for organizing this!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
More frequent Boston events sounds awesome. 

If some of the future dates are organized anytime on Saturdays, this may work best for those who commute from outside of Boston to attend. 

Thanks for organizing this!

The prior two were on weekends, so I was angling for a midweek change up, thinking it might be easier for commuters.  More frequent events at different times will likely solve that problem.

On a very random note, any bakers coming to the June 1 event?  I have some sourdough starter that I can bring to share out if anyone wants to try it out. 

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2015, 09:50:38 PM »
On a very random note, any bakers coming to the June 1 event?  I have some sourdough starter that I can bring to share out if anyone wants to try it out.

Not interested in sourdough at the moment.   But, you remind me:

Anyone interested in kefir grains?  They turn milk a low-lactose, mildly fuzzy drink.  Let me know now/soon, so I have time to grow enough to share.

Bruno

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »
Anyone interested in kefir grains?  They turn milk a low-lactose, mildly fuzzy drink.  Let me know now/soon, so I have time to grow enough to share.
Aehm, yes! But I won't make it to the meetup in Boston - I live close to Worcester and have a 3mo old baby.
Any chance I could pick up some grains? I'll be in Boston June 9th. Thanks!

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2015, 03:19:30 PM »
Aehm, yes! But I won't make it to the meetup in Boston - I live close to Worcester and have a 3mo old baby.
Any chance I could pick up some grains? I'll be in Boston June 9th. Thanks!

Bruno, check your private messages, we may be able to meet separately.  Maybe do a Worcester meetup?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:24:24 PM by Able was I ERE »

FrugalThrift

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Worcester meetup
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2015, 03:48:02 AM »
How about meet-up in Worcester (or Boston) Saturday June 13th at noon?  Please add me to the Worcester meet-up list.

Nancy

« Reply #175 on: May 30, 2015, 06:26:13 AM »
Unfortunately, I'm out for 6/1 (got roped into helping a family member). Have a great time, and I'm excited for the next one!

cleverusername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: May 30, 2015, 07:12:16 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to Boston and just stumbled on this thread.  Is it cool if I tag along?  I usually work until 6pm, but I can swing by the common shortly after work.  Where in the common are you planning on meeting?

Thanks!

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2015, 03:53:35 PM »
Someone suggested another meetup on June 13. That's LGBT Pride in Boston, so if you do that, plan accordingly!

Now, as for 6/1, they're predicting rain. Does anyone have an indoor venue to suggest as an alternative, or should we just schedule it for another day?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: May 31, 2015, 06:59:25 PM »
Someone suggested another meetup on June 13. That's LGBT Pride in Boston, so if you do that, plan accordingly!

Now, as for 6/1, they're predicting rain. Does anyone have an indoor venue to suggest as an alternative, or should we just schedule it for another day?

Ugh, the rain derailed my Sunday gardening plans (although my decluttering efforts were fruitful instead).  I'm game for a reschedule rather than try to picnic in the rain.

Is the 13th set or can we r/s it?  We scheduled a meetup on the LGTB parade last year as I recall.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2015, 04:43:33 AM »
Instead of cancelling, can we find an indoor space to meet?

Some indoor spaces:
Boston Public Library
One of the many food courts around: City Place, Quincy Market, South Station, Museum of Science, Cambridgeside Galleria, Prudential Center(?)
A building atrium
A hotel lobby
Some area on an open-campus college, like MIT or Harvard, don't know about BU or Emerson

I'm not familiar with the library, so I suggest City Place. It's just south of the Common, with an alleyway entrance across the street from the burial grounds.

CommonCents, what do you think?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2015, 07:46:16 AM »
I think I should have brought my dinner with me after all!

It's ok.  State transportation building?  I'm not sure of the hours, but there's a small food court downstairs where we could sit and chat, plus it's still close to Park Street for those on the red/green lines.  My office (I work for the state) holds public meetings in the rooms upstairs.  ETA: Google says hours till 8PM.  10 Park Plaza

I'd be happy to hang out in a hotel lobby, but I admit I'd feel odd having an indoor picnic at one.  I'd nix the Boston Library (a beautiful place though) because we probably shouldn't bring food or significant conversation there.   

Anyone know an open building on Suffolk campus?  That's right downtown.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2015, 11:05:22 AM »
Go ahead and make the call. I'm fine with the State Transportation Building if you are. It's a bit late, but if you or someone else commits to meeting, I'll come. I also didn't bring dinner from home, but if it's in a food court, I'm fine with ordering something. Or, feel free to postpone, and next time, we'll plan a rain location.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: June 01, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »
Go ahead and make the call. I'm fine with the State Transportation Building if you are. It's a bit late, but if you or someone else commits to meeting, I'll come. I also didn't bring dinner from home, but if it's in a food court, I'm fine with ordering something. Or, feel free to postpone, and next time, we'll plan a rain location.

If no one else responds yes (in which case I'll meet up) and you're really ok rescheduling - with a rain location, then I'd appreciate that.  I had a really emotional week last week, both ups and downs.  I'm worn out by everything.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:32:27 PM by CommonCents »

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2015, 12:45:03 PM »
Sounds like rescheduling is best. Everyone stay tuned for our next attempt...

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2015, 02:02:15 PM »
I metioned up above that I'd like to host a outdoor grilling meet up at my place in Somerville not far from Havard Square.  Any interest in that this summer?

Also, Friday 7/24 is a good free event.  It's the Somerville Urban Campout.  Where you pitch a tent in Lincoln park and make smores/play games.

FrugalThrift

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Boston Meetup - Saturday June 13th at 1pm (location???).
« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2015, 04:56:05 PM »
Sounds like at least several people would be interested in June 13th for reschedule.  There seems to be some preference for early afternoons as well. 

Proposal: Saturday June 13th at 1pm MMM Boston area Meetup

velocistar237, would this work OK for you, or a better time on June 13th?  How about Able was I ERE?  If you can come, please post / re-post your interest.

Not from Boston myself, so not sure where we'd meet.  I'd be open to any location that day personally.  Indoor may provide a weather contingency.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:06:05 PM by FrugalThrift »

Nancy

« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2015, 04:26:16 AM »
I'm interested; however, there is a chance that a fam member will celebrate her birthday on 6/13. So I'm in for now.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Boston Meetup - Saturday June 13th at 1pm (location???).
« Reply #187 on: June 02, 2015, 04:36:19 AM »
velocistar237, would this work OK for you, or a better time on June 13th?  How about Able was I ERE?  If you can come, please post / re-post your interest.

Not from Boston myself, so not sure where we'd meet.  I'd be open to any location that day personally.  Indoor may provide a weather contingency.

That works for me. MIT's campus would work well if you don't mind hunting for parking, and there are plenty of indoor alternates there. Further out would be better for driving and parking, something like the park at Assembly Square. Or, you could team up with Thomas below if it works for him, though 1pm might not be the best time for a cookout. I'll think some more about it.

I metioned up above that I'd like to host a outdoor grilling meet up at my place in Somerville not far from Havard Square.  Any interest in that this summer?

Also, Friday 7/24 is a good free event.  It's the Somerville Urban Campout.  Where you pitch a tent in Lincoln park and make smores/play games.

Definitely interested in both. Do people have to register for the campout? I imagine it's gotten popular.

cleverusername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2015, 04:59:52 AM »
June 13th sounds great.  I'd really like to meet fellow mustachians in the Boston area. 

Thanks for the info on the Somerville Urban campout!  That sounds awesome!  I've wanted to camp in a park, but was afraid of getting arrested!

Speaking of free events, have you guys gone to the Boston Bike Party events?  There is a ride on the 12th and it is usually a lot of fun.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2015, 08:10:12 AM »
I think I'm out.  But have fun.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:31:27 PM by CommonCents »

Nancy

« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2015, 12:21:37 PM »
trobertson, a cookout in Somerville sounds great. Thanks for offering to host!

MIT would be a good location for a potluck- there are picnic tables in shade in front of the Student Center with green space for Frisbee (Kresge oval). We wouldn't have access to barbecue pits and wouldn't be able to drink alcohol without a permit, but  there are plenty of indoor spaces as well (open tables in Stata Center/Lobby 7/Student Center).

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
Re: Boston Meetup - Saturday June 13th at 1pm (location???).
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2015, 05:21:37 PM »

That works for me. MIT's campus would work well if you don't mind hunting for parking, and there are plenty of indoor alternates there. Further out would be better for driving and parking, something like the park at Assembly Square. Or, you could team up with Thomas below if it works for him, though 1pm might not be the best time for a cookout. I'll think some more about it.

I can't make 1pm on the 13th, but could tentatively show up later if you guys are still there (4pm or so).  Having a yard sale for upcoming move that day.

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2015, 12:00:52 AM »
June 13th 1pm potluck sounds good to me.  I saw MIT/Assembly square thrown out as meeting points.  I also saw people liked the BBQ idea.  If it makes it easy, I'm happy to host on the 13th if people want to come this way (union square somerville).  I have parking for around 3-4 cars if need be. 

goodma81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2015, 06:10:34 AM »
My wife and I (and 1 yr twins) would like to come out to this meetup on the 13th.  We live near Inman Sq, so any of the proposed locations would work for us.

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
If this is actually going to happen in four days someone is going to have to be a point person.  How about if you're interested email me:  "thomas.james.robertson" at the old gmail with dot com on the end.  I check email pretty religiously with my smart phone so I can connect anyone who emails me. 

When (if) you email me indicate if you would prefer MIT or my house at near Union/Inman.

velocistar237: Seems you've been doing this for awhile, if you already have contacts maybe we could utilize those?

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
I won't be able to attend the 13th meetup.   Enjoy, I'll catch another one.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »

Likewise.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2015, 10:39:44 PM »

Likewise.

Me three, unfortunately. Look forward to meeting/catching up with folks soon.

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
Hey, I encouarge anyone on this thread to email me and I'll try to collate emails together to make this sort of planning easier (many people go days/weeks without checking this forum).  Maybe in the near future we can have some sort of google group or something.

"Thomas.James.Robertson" at ye ol g of the mail dot com

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »
So far we have 6 or 7 people who are planning to attend.  We're meeting at my house at 1pm Saturday (unless I talk people into doing noon).  Email me to RSVP and for the address
thomas.james.robertson      AYAT  g AND mail DOTTT  com

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!