Author Topic: Boston  (Read 110615 times)

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
Re: Boston
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2014, 10:31:43 AM »
That's Pride weekend, so I wouldn't be able to make it (it's like Queer Christmas.) But if you end up doing it another weekend, I'd definitely come!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2014, 08:37:17 AM »
Thanks for the reminder re Father's Day - my family is postponing it this year so I forgot.  (We move around certain holidays when needed.)  The 14th then?  Sorry PFgal, I'm booked up on commitments, so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to host a different weekend until around August, though perhaps someone else can.  Or we could meet mid-week after work in the Commons perhaps?

mmmellen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
I would love to get together at Horn Pond on June 14th.  I am a recent reader of MMM and live in Woburn.  Please sign me up and let me know what I can bring!

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »
June 14 should work for us.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2014, 04:52:07 PM »
Mr. Frugalwoods and I are on board for June 14th!

tim_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2014, 08:59:32 PM »
I should be able to make it. I've never been to Horn Pond, but it looks beautiful from the pictures.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2014, 07:58:14 AM »
Great, let's plan for the 14th then!

Just to clarify, the picture was actually from our backyard, not Horn Pond.  The two options were:
1. Horn Pond (rain out option our place, close to Horn Pond)
2. Our place

I'll PM everyone by this evening, and maybe get email addresses so we can take the conversation there to pick the best time (noon?) and place.

jasmine93b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »
hi!  i am a newbie to the MMM community.  i live on the north shore in MA and on the central coast in CA.  i would LOVE to come to the boston mmm meetup in june!

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2014, 04:49:21 AM »
Great, let's plan for the 14th then!

I'll PM everyone by this evening, and maybe get email addresses so we can take the conversation there to pick the best time (noon?) and place.

I would love to come.   And depending on what time on the 14th, I may even be able to attend (earlier is better) .  Send me a PM if you're still taking input on exact time to meet.

Ree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Cats on Bikes
Boston
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2014, 09:42:33 AM »
I would love to come. If anyone would like to bike there together, I'll be coming from Somerville. I know there are several mustachians in the area.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:51:08 AM by Ree »

mmmellen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2014, 06:20:34 AM »
Have we decided on the time for our meetup?  The last I remembered was noon.  Is this correct?

Im very excited to meet people from the blog and share ideas!  Most of my friends/family either make and have lots of money and spend accordingly, or are in tons of debt and still go out to eat regularly.  I just found out one of my closest friends is $16,000 dollars in debt while making around 70,000/year!  We had just gone out to breakfast, which I had carefully adjusted my budget for, and I was shocked later to hear of her situation.

Can't wait to meet some like minded people.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2014, 08:53:30 AM »
Yes, I'm emailing out later today/tomorrow with more details.  Sorry for the delay!  I meant to do so this weekend but I got caught up with some other projects.

I had a request for earlier (due to a wedding) and a request for later (due to soccer), so I'm going to suggest we scoot it back to 11:30AM to try to accommodate both sides, but I'll put it in the email so that everyone can discuss it out there if they have additional comments.  I'm pretty flexible that day, so I can get there early and stay late to meet everyone.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2014, 11:51:06 AM »
A friend of mine puts together this calendar every year of free/cheap things to do in Boston. It just occurred to me, there's a group of people here who might really appreciate it! So here you go....

www.bit.ly/bostonsummer

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »
Thanks for the invitation. We'll be on the Vineyard, though, and unable to attend this meetup.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »
We REALLY want to come on Saturday, but we have (non-mustachian) family visiting from out of state and staying at our house. We still might be able to swing it, but I'm not sure... :( Is it OK if we just show up if we're able to?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2014, 08:38:57 AM »
We REALLY want to come on Saturday, but we have (non-mustachian) family visiting from out of state and staying at our house. We still might be able to swing it, but I'm not sure... :( Is it OK if we just show up if we're able to?

Of course!  No formal catered affair with a head count here!  I envision this as being particularly low key...eat (BYOL), relax, chat, and those who want to stay longer can walk around the pond or go to the playground section with kids, or we can go partway around to a spot where there's more space for frisbee, etc.  You have my number, so you can always call or text me to see status too.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2014, 09:25:04 AM »

Of course!  No formal catered affair with a head count here!  I envision this as being particularly low key...eat (BYOL), relax, chat, and those who want to stay longer can walk around the pond or go to the playground section with kids, or we can go partway around to a spot where there's more space for frisbee, etc.  You have my number, so you can always call or text me to see status too.
Ok, great! Thanks so much. I really hope we can make it.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »
I've been keeping tabs on the weather and it looks like rain is threatening for our meetup tomorrow.  Rain location is my place.  We do have a very nice backyard if we guess wrong and it turns out nice, although no outdoor furniture (table/seating) be warned.  Will everyone get an email via MMM PM system if I sent out the location (with address, if needed) on Saturday morning around 9:30/10ish, or should we decide today?  I'll email to the same smaller set (about 12) I sent it to about a week and a half ago, so if you didn't get that, and want the update, make sure to let me know. 

What's your risk tolerance for rain?  :)

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »
I can't if we're doing it in May, but we might be able to do it near us sometime if people don't mind being out of the city a bit.  Have to figure out when it might work - still settling in from the move.  We live about 0.5 miles from Horn Pond in Woburn, so can either picnic at Horn Pond or in our backyard.  It's about 1.5 miles from the closest train station.

I can't make it unfortunately - but we are neighbors!  I live in Burlington and my husband works in Woburn.

Small world :)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
My current plans might get rained out, so please email me the address for your place if you plan on being indoors. Thanks! What time?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »
I emailed everyone that we are moving to the rainout location, and with the address.  If you did not get the message, let me know.

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »
Anyone interested in meeting up after work during the week and hanging out in Boston Commons? 

A few people suggested it at the last week-end meet up, since many of us work in Boston or nearby. 

Here's a poll with some date options:
  http://doodle.com/5sdcbahm3sb5zrdf

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2014, 03:15:19 PM »
Sounds like a great idea!  I'm away the week of July 7-13 unfortunately though.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2014, 11:59:29 AM »
Sounds great! I filled out the poll. Was so sad to miss the last meet up :(

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
I also responded to the poll.

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2014, 08:25:02 PM »
I also was very sorry to miss the last one.  Looks like I am mostly available when others are not, but added a few days that work for me.

tim_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2014, 06:33:46 AM »
Looks like Friday evening's the best so far. Does that sound good for people, or should we try for a later week?

I was just at the Boston Commons on Saturday, and it was lovely.

Jules

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2014, 06:13:32 AM »
Hi everyone, I just responded to the poll, if this meetup is happening, I would love to join!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »
I'm back in town now!  Did you guys meet, or are you still working on scheduling it?

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
I'm back in town now!  Did you guys meet, or are you still working on scheduling it?

I never received any confirmation of a meeting date selection.

Nancy

« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2014, 10:24:36 AM »
Anyone want to meet up at the Kendall Square roof garden at 4 Cambridge Ct? I've never been so I figured I should. According to yelp, it's open sunrise to sundown 7 days a week and is atop a parking garage. What!?

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »
Anyone want to meet up at the Kendall Square roof garden at 4 Cambridge Ct? I've never been so I figured I should. According to yelp, it's open sunrise to sundown 7 days a week and is atop a parking garage. What!?
We'd definitely be up for that! What day/time are you thinking?

Jules

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »
Yes please, what a neat place for a MMM meet-up picnic!  I'm free most evenings, let's pick a date.

Nancy

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2014, 10:29:24 AM »
Cool! I'm free after work this week if that works. Next week we're going away. I can bring a salad if people want to eat.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2014, 07:53:13 AM »
A friend just told me about that the other day and I'd love to check it out! When were you thinking of having the meetup?

Nancy

« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2014, 10:31:06 AM »
Here's a poll with times to meet this week or weekend:
http://doodle.com/f78585abavt9ytnu

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2014, 08:02:47 AM »
How does kayaking or playing lawn games, followed by watching Raiders of the Lost Arc outside at North Point Park in Cambridge Wed Aug. 13th sound?

EF is hosting movie nights on Wednesdays in Boston.  I went last night to see Princess Bride and we had a great time.  Kayaking and lawn games start at 5:30.  Movie starts at 8ish, after it’s dark.  They have blankets if you don’t want to bring your own, and you can bring a picnic dinner.  I’m happy to give a quick 2 minute kayaking lesson if you want – I used to do whitewater kayaking.  More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/251265771749011/

tim_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2014, 08:13:29 PM »
That sounds awesome to me! I used to kayak when I was younger, and I've been wanting to all summer (and most of the spring, too).

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2014, 08:31:23 AM »
Unfortunately, the EF event is held weather permitting, and it doesn't seem like our weather is cooperating today.  :(  Even if it stops raining (and my weather widget seems pretty convinced it'll keep on) the ground will be pretty wet for sitting on for a movie, so I think they'll cancel it even if they haven't yet.  Bummer, I was really looking forward to it!

stblevins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2014, 10:35:55 AM »
Hi everyone, sorry to just jump in like this, but I'm a fairly new MMM reader in Taunton recent college grad and I'd love to be able to meetup with some of you guys and share ideas. Hopefully we can get something planned soon.

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2014, 08:01:03 AM »
It's been far too long since our last get together! My place is too small to host, but I thought I'd throw out the idea of a winter gathering, in case anyone else wants to offer up their home for hosting. What say you all?

Beardog

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2014, 08:18:49 AM »
I agree, it's been too long!  I hosted earlier this year, but my place is in a total state of disarray as I prepare to sell this spring.  Furniture is all in a pile in the center of the living room and dining room and the walls are stripped of wallpaper and need to be patched and painted.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2014, 12:12:48 PM »
Would love to join a meetup!  I'd have people over again, but I'm not too central so I'll defer to a more central location suggestion.

On other notes - does anyone want (an unopened box of) tinsel?  Fake candle lights for windows?  I'm in the throes of decluttering, and I'm pretty sure if we set it out the cat will eat the tinsel (it was from my single days).  If anyone wants any kitchen items (wine glasses to rolling pin) let me know as well...

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2014, 10:06:20 AM »
Good luck decluttering, CommonCents! I've been doing it too. It isn't easy, but it feels good to get rid of things!

What do the rest of you think about having another meetup?

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2015, 10:38:59 AM »
Good luck decluttering, CommonCents! I've been doing it too. It isn't easy, but it feels good to get rid of things!

I'd tunnel through this glacier for a meetup, if folks were interested ;-)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »

I'd tunnel through this glacier for a meetup, if folks were interested ;-)

Be great to see people and get out of the house for more than work+commute, but I am not so great about identifying low or no cost winter activities.  My ideas involve things like ice skating on the Common (not Frog Pond) which is pretty impossible now with the snow...

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
I'm in! I can't host because my place is too small, though. Does anyone else want to host?

tim_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
I am also in!

My place is decently sized, but is far from the T and has no parking. It's probably not an ideal option, but could work if it's the only.

aneel

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2015, 12:40:42 PM »
Did this already happen?  The esplanade will be a decent option soon.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2015, 01:00:39 PM »
Did this already happen?  The esplanade will be a decent option soon.

I'd be down for that. Bikeable, too!