Author Topic: Boston MA - late Aug/early Sept  (Read 1372 times)

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
Boston MA - late Aug/early Sept
« on: August 01, 2018, 07:44:19 AM »

Hello;

I'll be visiting Boston (for work) sometime late August, maybe early September - I never been in Boston before! It is a business trip, but I think I'll stay for an extra couple days to explore.

I am looking for tips of places to visit, museums? Some local food I "have to" try? I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you

jimsteets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Boston MA - late Aug/early Sept
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:20:49 AM »
Not a big restaurant guy. 

But if you are around on a Saturday check out Haymarket ... its a farmers market and its really cool to see.

Anytime spent walking / biking the Charles River, Harvard Yard, Freedom Trail is great.

I am usually in the area on the weekends and would be into a quick mustachian meet and greet...

Let me know!

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:35:40 AM »

Thank you for the tips, I received some more details since I posted: I'll arrive on Monday 27th, return on Friday, so I will only have some evenings to check things out.

@jimsteets, thank you for the tips, I will investigate the trails, would not mind a walk after work at all. My hotel is actually in Burlington - but I will have a rental car - maybe next time I can get an extended stay and enjoy a full weekend, if that happens, we can definitely do a mustachian meet and greet!

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 11:16:10 AM »
I’d do Freedom Trail (downtown walking tour, very full day if you do it all, several hours if you skip the long walks to USS Constitution) and if you’re into Revolutionary history at all, lots of history out by Minuteman park (near Hanscom airport). For just evenings, I’d skip the Cape, but might consider Plymouth for some of the Mayflower history. (I think the Mayflower replica is not there currently though.)

For a local food favorite, consider Woodmans about 25 minutes north.

Boston MFA is good, as is the Museum of Science. I find the Aquarium a disappointment compared to other cities with world-class aquariums. Harvard Yard and square is a nice place to visit and walk. MUseum of Natural History and glass flowers exhibit is cool. MIT is not as pretty, but not terrible. MIT Museum is probably not open at a helpful time.

If you want to park in West Cambridge for your river or Harvard area walks, PM me and I can advise where to do that for free and a short walk. Parking is a pain in most of Boston and Cambridge. I recommend visitors to the city against a rental car. (For Burlington, you do need it, but it’s a liability in the city proper.)

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 07:33:00 PM »
I'd also add in the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum (they also have a nighttime event with music/cocktails which is fun).

If the weather is nice, you can take a ferry out to the Harbor Islands.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »

Thank you so very much for the recommendations!

@sokoloff
Woodmans of Essex offers Fried Clams! I have never seen fried clams in my corner of US. They also offer clam cakes. I am intrigued and will definitely check this one out.

You are correct the ship (Mayflower) is not there at the moment, bummer.

The Boston MFA is open late Wed-Fri, so many things to see. I could spend a couple days there.   

Thank you for the heads-up regarding parking: I might just Uber my way to avoid unnecessary frustration.

@westtoeast
Isabella Stewart Museum did not have any performances the week I'll be there, but on Thursdays is open until 9PM, so I could visit and see part of the collection.

I liked the idea of taking a ferry, I checked this one: https://www.bostonharborcruises.com/harbor-cruises/historic-sightseeing-cruise/, they have one that leaves at 5PM. Another "sunset cruise" leaves at 7Pm, but I'm thinking is a lovers/honeymoon type of cruise.

@SeaKayEl
I looked up The Friendly Toast menu, and found some very local-sounding options like Anadama bread (never heard of before), an option to add-on a bottle of Real Maple Syrup for $2.00 (from NH), and New England Clam Chowdah. I think I'll visit this one for sure. As for the sweets... I'm trying to keep my figure... ;) still I will try to pick some up and impress my new co-workers with my newly acquired good taste in local fare!

Thank you all for your so helpful tips, I am looking forward to this trip. Next time I'll try to book the flight in a way I stay for the weekend as well. SO MUCH to see and do - I just hope I won't fall in love with the area too much: way too expensive for this LCOL gal ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!