Author Topic: Belleville Barnhouse Sleepover - Ontario  (Read 12423 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Belleville Barnhouse Sleepover - Ontario
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »
Attention Toronto, Ottawa, Kingston, anywhere crowd... have we got an event for you.

WHAT: Its a slumber party! Just like when we were 15, only now we're older, funner, and there are no parents. We may even dig up some fun stuff to do on the town.

WHERE: Belleville Ontario CANADA, where frankly, there isn't a whole lot going on. Belleville is about 2 hours east of Toronto, and about an hour west of Kingston Ontario. 7.5 hours to Boston, 7 hours to NYC, 9 hours to Washington DC, 6 hours to Detroit (According to Google)

WHY: Prospector just bought a rental property, and this seems like a great thing to do while its empty and in need of renoes.

WHEN: October 15-16th Arrive anytime on either day. Its a sort of drop in event.

WHO: Guest list so far includes
  • Prospector (By default)
  • CanuckExpat - tentative
  • Dee - tentative
  • Retired@63 - tentative
  • Daverobev - tentative
  • Cantwait

IDEAS!!!
- I think it would be fun to have Saturday dinner be a bring-what-you-can costume event. Wear something silly. Lets have fun!
- If you bring a bike, we'll point you at the waterfront trail for a ride along Lake Ontario.
- Take a canoe for a paddle on the pond.
- Be awed by conversation and stories from fellow mustachios.
- On Sunday Morning we will have a Spaghetti bridge competition. Lets see what team can build the strong bridge using nothing but pasta and hot glue guns.

Other stuff you really need to know:
- We take possession of barnhouse on the 14th, so at this point it is unclear whether we will have power. Or internet. Or gas. Basically we will be cooking on campstoves and BBQs.
- Barnhouse is currently furniture free. It will likely continue to be furniture free when you arrive. Bring your own cot/airbed/whatevs. If you bring an airbed, be ready to inflate it using your car.
- Barnhouse is currently appliance free. There is no fridge. Coolers rule! There is no stove. BBQs are awesome!
- Barnhouse is 100 years old and has "character" - I'd appreciate your advice on what character to retain - or not.
- Barnhouse has a mostly fenced lot. It should be OK for kids, but I'd shy away from bringing pets. At this point it is unclear whether we got the lobster trap in the front yard with the house. If the sellers kept it, we will NOT be fishing for lobsters.
- I respect all people, cultures and preferences. I'll do my best to accommodate you if you have a special need. Please let me know in advance. If I can't accommodate you with food/sleeping arrangements, I sincerely hope you'll still come for at least a visit during the day.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:54:09 AM by Prospector »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Belleville Barnhouse Sleepover - Ontario
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »
This sounds like so much fun.  I'm really going to try to make this work out.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:23:55 PM »
I know it's far from Mustachian but I cannot resist sharing that my partner and I once had a really excellent meal at The Beaufort Pub http://www.thebeaufortpub.ca/index.html. I highly recommend it to those who find themselves in Belleville.

Great location for most of the population in Ontario, Prospector -- you've made it manageable for the GTA peeps to mingle with the Ottawa peeps!

I will definitely try to come by for part of the weekend.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:50:39 PM »
Dude, this sounds Awesome! Between this and the Chicago meeting of lady folk I'm jealous.

I have tons of camping Gear (mats and coolers, stove, etc.) and an RV. But I cant' make up there.  I'm in DC metro and Google map said 8.5 hours so your 9 guess is about right. No idea how long a border crossing takes though.

Anyhow just posting to follow and see how it progresses. Sounds fun!

Oh, and I've yet to post in you Boring journal but I've been reading. Congrats on the Rental!!!!

csr

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:54:16 PM »
This is such a crazy but cool idea! A nice middle ground between tent camping and hotels. Potluck on the first night sounds like the perfect plan.

Btw, is the barnhouse semi insulated?

I was looking at the Trip Advisor thing, and Tyendinaga Cavern and Caves looks intriguing!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 10:14:53 PM »
I'm tentatively in.  I hope I haven't decluttered all my sleeping bags.   Air mattress might have been a flood casualty and needs an outlet.  Maybe I can borrow one from DD.  I have chairs and a cooler.

Do we have indoor plumbing?  I'm sorry, I am a softy now.

Canoeing!!!!  My knees won't mind if I take enough Advil.

Anyone want to learn how to spin?  I can bring my spindle kit that goes to fairs (and a wheel, and a rigid heddle loom if people are into crafts).

Missy wants to know if she can come.  She has a crate, she loves everyone, everyone loves her.  She wants to expand her friendship circle. To be honest, her friendship circle is the whole world, she just hasn't met everyone yet.

Good timing, the next weekend I have to go to the center of the universe.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 05:16:02 AM »
Dude, this sounds Awesome! Between this and the Chicago meeting of lady folk I'm jealous.

I have tons of camping Gear (mats and coolers, stove, etc.) and an RV. But I cant' make up there.  I'm in DC metro and Google map said 8.5 hours so your 9 guess is about right. No idea how long a border crossing takes though.

Anyhow just posting to follow and see how it progresses. Sounds fun!

Oh, and I've yet to post in you Boring journal but I've been reading. Congrats on the Rental!!!!

Good point on the border crossing. Folks should allow time for that. Coming from the east, I suggest crossing at Kingston/the 1000 islands since it will likely be the least congested option. Of course, everyone has Google maps and its usually not too far off the mark for best routing. I believe Americans need a passport to come into Canada. Not entirely sure though since I'm not an American.

Allow 30 minutes for the border. Sometimes its 2 minutes, sometimes there is a line up. Sometimes its awful. Normally its about 15 minutes if you hit at the off-peak.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:19:24 AM by Prospector »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 05:18:23 AM »
I know it's far from Mustachian but I cannot resist sharing that my partner and I once had a really excellent meal at The Beaufort Pub http://www.thebeaufortpub.ca/index.html. I highly recommend it to those who find themselves in Belleville.

Great location for most of the population in Ontario, Prospector -- you've made it manageable for the GTA peeps to mingle with the Ottawa peeps!

I will definitely try to come by for part of the weekend.

Dee I added you in as tentative - looking forward to seeing you there!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 05:21:39 AM »
This is such a crazy but cool idea! A nice middle ground between tent camping and hotels. Potluck on the first night sounds like the perfect plan.

Btw, is the barnhouse semi insulated?

I was looking at the Trip Advisor thing, and Tyendinaga Cavern and Caves looks intriguing!

Insulation is one of the mysteries of the barnhouse. There is some in the attic... the house inspector forgot to check in the walls (worst inspector ever). There are batts stuffed into the stud bays at the basement ceiling. It seems comfortable. I assume it has all the easy spots insulated. You won't freeze to death.

I'm tentatively in.  I hope I haven't decluttered all my sleeping bags.   Air mattress might have been a flood casualty and needs an outlet.  Maybe I can borrow one from DD.  I have chairs and a cooler.

Do we have indoor plumbing?  I'm sorry, I am a softy now.

Canoeing!!!!  My knees won't mind if I take enough Advil.

Anyone want to learn how to spin?  I can bring my spindle kit that goes to fairs (and a wheel, and a rigid heddle loom if people are into crafts).

Missy wants to know if she can come.  She has a crate, she loves everyone, everyone loves her.  She wants to expand her friendship circle. To be honest, her friendship circle is the whole world, she just hasn't met everyone yet.

Good timing, the next weekend I have to go to the center of the universe.

Bring the spinning stuff!!

If you need to you can use my 12V air pump. No big whoop.

Yes we have indoor plumbing. The shower is on the main floor for inconvenience. The bathroom is a lovely shade of peacock blue. And the shower even has a window, except that it has no window.

I'm comfortable with dogs, but leaving Bernie at home because I know how she is in crowds. I think Old Miss will be OK, and if there is any issue the barnhouse garage or basement, or someplace will be a spot for dogs to go and chill???? I think she'll be fine.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:30:21 AM by Prospector »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 07:57:07 AM »
Bring the spinning stuff!!

If you need to you can use my 12V air pump. No big whoop.

Yes we have indoor plumbing. The shower is on the main floor for inconvenience. The bathroom is a lovely shade of peacock blue. And the shower even has a window, except that it has no window.

I'm comfortable with dogs, but leaving Bernie at home because I know how she is in crowds. I think Old Miss will be OK, and if there is any issue the barnhouse garage or basement, or someplace will be a spot for dogs to go and chill???? I think she'll be fine.

Well if I don't sweat too much while canoeing I can probably survive without a shower (shower Saturday morning before departure, Sunday evening when I get home.

Missy will be a frenzy of greeting everyone (the younger the better, she loves loves kids and they love love her) and then will collapse somewhere.  Crate means she can chill anywhere if necessary, it is her safe place.  I'll bring her rope too so she can be tied if we are all outside.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 10:59:57 AM »
I should warn you that its just a pond across the road. I don't think you can build u pa sweat because to walk around the pond would be more convenient than paddling on it.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 02:10:51 PM »
So this is the weekend *after* thanksgiving? This year I assume! In less than a month, in fact.

I'm interested. Are children a "no"? I'm assuming so. I'd have to clear it with my wife.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 02:20:27 PM »
So this is the weekend *after* thanksgiving? This year I assume! In less than a month, in fact.

I'm interested. Are children a "no"? I'm assuming so. I'd have to clear it with my wife.

Well, I'm bringing at least one of my kids, but they are used to this sort of thing, and I assume ARS is bringing Babyspy, but she's backpacked everywhere and SEEN things. So as long as you are hip with your kids spending a weekend in a Housebarn... why not?

Yes, a mere 3 weeks from now we will be enjoying each other's company in the glow of candlelight over a cold buffet served on a plank table resting on sawhorses.

I'll add you to the tentative list.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 02:39:43 PM »

Well, I'm bringing at least one of my kids, but they are used to this sort of thing, and I assume ARS is bringing Babyspy, but she's backpacked everywhere and SEEN things. So as long as you are hip with your kids spending a weekend in a Housebarn... why not?

Yes, a mere 3 weeks from now we will be enjoying each other's company in the glow of candlelight over a cold buffet served on a plank table resting on sawhorses.

I'll add you to the tentative list.

Sounds great - might be the three of us, then! I'll check in with DW tonight.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 05:42:02 PM »
Because the buttertart debate started up again over on Sailor Sam's journal, I thought it was time the true recipe was pulled from the family vault to bring culinary joy to the world.

OK, the official version from Miramichi, New Brunswick, circa 1950 (or earlier, could be much earlier because it is from my grand-mother and she born about 1882/83) with lots of detail because I first typed it for DD:

This makes 12 buttertarts, using the frozen Tenderflake tart shells, with a bit of filling left over – if you are feeding a group, make it double. Put the tarts on a cookie sheet for support. If you are making your own pastry then shape the tart shells in a muffin pan with small muffin openings, not the huge ones.  You are aiming for about the same size as the Tenderflake tartlets. They usually end up a bit deeper.  Just do one batch at a time, if you have two trays in the oven the top tray may not have the pastry cook fully on the bottom.

Turn on oven to 375oF just before you start, it will be up to heat by the time the buttertarts are ready to go in.  If using frozen Tenderflake shells separate them and put them on the cookie sheet so that they are thawed by the time you are ready to put the filling in. 

1/3 cup butter, melted (low heat in microwave works well)
1 cup brown sugar, packed (use a dry measuring cup, not a liquid one)
2 tbsp milk or cream (cream is better)
1 egg, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla (real not artificial)
½ cup currants, washed and well drained (not other kinds of raisins, currants or nothing!)(can be omitted but then they are not real buttertarts)

Melt butter, add sugar and mix well, you don’t want to find little lumps of sugar as you are filling the pastry shells.
Beat egg well, add cream (milk).  Add vanilla and mix well.
Add egg mix to butter sugar mix and mix well – stir slowly at first, mix is thick and the two tend to stay separate. You can add the currants here, but I find they distribute better if some go in the bottom of each pastry, and then the mixture is poured over them.  The currants sink to the bottom anyway.  And this way, you can use ½ the currants, and make 6 with and 6 without.  Wipe off any filling that was spilled on the cookie sheet, it will burn on in the oven.
Fill pastry tarts no more than 2/3 full (I find I can get away with ¾ but do not overfill, the mix bubbles as it cooks and if the shells are too full it spills over).
Bake 15 minutes if using Tenderflake tart shells, longer if using muffin pans (20 to 30 minutes depending on size, top should be browned, bubbling and looking a bit crusty).
Take out of oven very carefully as the filling is still soft and can spill.  Let cool fully (on a rack, still on the cookie sheet) before moving or eating.  They freeze well, so can be made ahead of time.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 05:47:18 PM »
Kids - Missy is coming and she loves kids.  Please bring kids.  Make my dog happy.  ;-)

Only caveat, kids do not get to walk Missy, she is much stronger than they are.  She is not a Golden Retriever, and she can pull.

How deep is the pond?  Can you bring a net and we pull up fun stuff from the bottom?  I guess I should bring rubber boots for getting in the canoe?  Its a good thing I have a hatchback, my packing list is getting longer and longer.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 06:01:39 PM »
Oh, I didn't realize this was for this fall, three weeks from now.  The only date you'd been talking was fall 2017:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/

Unfortunately I can't make it that quickly, will still be on the other side of the world.  ;)

Was planning on making my next fall plans around this.

Didn't cross my mind that, duh, you should already have the barnhouse rehabbed and rented by then, until you just said 3 weeks from now, and I went, huh?  :P

My bad.  Hope you all enjoy.  Still hoping you put together something for 2017, as in the other thread.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 06:35:11 PM »
Oh, I didn't realize this was for this fall, three weeks from now.  The only date you'd been talking was fall 2017:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/

Unfortunately I can't make it that quickly, will still be on the other side of the world.  ;)

Was planning on making my next fall plans around this.

Didn't cross my mind that, duh, you should already have the barnhouse rehabbed and rented by then, until you just said 3 weeks from now, and I went, huh?  :P

My bad.  Hope you all enjoy.  Still hoping you put together something for 2017, as in the other thread.

Silly ARS!!! I was wondering how you would be here so fast. This will be the dry run for that. We're all getting matching tats that say "Barnstock 2016" You're totally missing out.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 06:46:11 PM »
You're totally missing out.

I know, I'm bummed!  Make the 2017 thing happen!  :)

Longwaytogo

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
You're totally missing out.

I know, I'm bummed!  Make the 2017 thing happen!  :)

I was thinking you were in Asia but then I was like, well he has all those miles so who knows.

I'm still interested in 2017 as well

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »
Fun! Next year would be good. (I typically need a looooot of notice)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 09:15:04 AM »
That's another thread... but it will be in the Algonquin park area.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 08:36:25 AM »
So its check in time - We are at 15 days to the sleepover... Its not too late to sign on, and not too late to back out, but the intensity of the deal is weighing on me. Of course that has nothing to do with you. All the intensity you need to focus on is whether you get the master bedroom or get stuck in the hall closet.

I call dibs on the bedroom with the Disney stick-ons on the walls. I'm not sure if Beauty and the beast were inclusions though. I may be disappointed.

Anyway - changes to the guest list are welcome! Especially ones that mean more friends coming by!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »
You have to keep me on tentative, but it's looking like we won't quite make it up there that fast (still to be determined). If we do, I happen to have my undergrad 10 year anniversary roughly down the road from there that weekend as well, so I might be double booked (guesses as to where I went?).

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »
You have to keep me on tentative, but it's looking like we won't quite make it up there that fast (still to be determined). If we do, I happen to have my undergrad 10 year anniversary roughly down the road from there that weekend as well, so I might be double booked (guesses as to where I went?).

Kingston is a lovely town.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »

Kingston is a lovely town.

Ding Ding. So if we make it up to Ontario in time, I might be spending time there.
Though it's probably less awkward to explain why I don't currently have a job to a gathering of mustachians then it would be to repeatedly do it at a 10 year college reunion... 

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 01:06:39 PM »
I was actually looking for a rental in Kingston when this one came up. I love that town. So much positive vibe about it.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 01:23:48 PM »
I'm still probably up for it, ha. Looks like we're going to Kingston to go on a boat this weekend, I'll see if we can look round there for rental stuff... I'm just reading '4 Hour Work Week' and, while a lot of it doesn't speak to me, it has got me on the "damn, I need more passive income" train of thought. And as I live here, I might as well leverage here (Canada), IF I can get something to make sense...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 01:31:36 PM »
The Big question for everyone is whether ExPat went to RMC, Queen's, or St. Lawrence College.

He mentions both "College" and "Undergrad" so it could be any one of the three. Although of the bunch, RMC is the only "College" offering an "undergrad" that I know of. Intrigue.

At the Barnstock weekend we will form teams and settle the matter through a dual elimination Jello thumb-wrestling competition. (Provided that we can find jello, a heat source to boil it in, and a cold space to get it to set in).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 05:25:24 PM »
I'm on the Queen's Team.  And dibs on whichever bedroom is closest to the bathroom (older body).  Kingston is neat.  Belleville, not so much.  The County is beautiful.

I'm going to be in Belleville this Saturday.  Totally separate reason, but I figure it is a good test drive.  If I can survive it I can make the sleepover. Prospector, are you there in the afternoon? 

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »
Not this weekend - but the weekend of BarnStock, I'll be there bright and early on Saturday.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 06:38:38 AM »
Not this weekend - but the weekend of BarnStock, I'll be there bright and early on Saturday.
I won't be, it is at least a 3 hour drive without stops.  Might be there for lunch, should be there before dinner.  ;-)

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2016, 06:38:15 AM »
OMG I almost missed this as I've been been neglecting the journals due to...life.
Would love to come AND I'm just down the road in Kingston!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2016, 07:53:32 AM »
Perfect!!!

Consider yourself added - are you sleeping over or just coming for a drop-in? And how many are you? Kids are welcome  -as long as they don't drink too much.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »
Just me and I'll play it by ear on the sleepover part; I'm just an hour away.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2016, 03:07:23 PM »
Just me and I'll play it by ear on the sleepover part; I'm just an hour away.

Sounds Great!! Can't wait!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2016, 12:59:35 PM »
How many attendees could bring a bike? Would it be fun to go on an exploratory doodle along the waterfront trail on Sunday morning?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »
Just back from the barnhouse - what a shambles!!! They're packing but not really and there's crap EVERYWHERE!! Anyways, it looks like this is really happening and I'll own a barnhouse by the weekend. Yippeee!!

Official Poster is below. Print and place on your dashboard for executive parking.

Also, um, concierge desk is not available, but I am confident that we will have all utilities hooked up!!! I know this is a perk many were not expecting. I am pleased to announce that we (probably) will even have working toilets! And possibly a fireplace outside if they don't manage to sell it.

This thread has been quiet for the past few days, so I need to recount - if you are coming out please signify with an uplifted hand. Or just, like, reply and say you are still in. I will reply to you with the closest thing to an address I can, since barnhouse is sortof hard to find. Please also let me know what/if you are bringing stuff for (potluck) dinner. Remember appliances are unclear at this point, so a cold buffet is our best bet.

After taking our final tour of barnhouse today, we bummed around town and found REID's DAIRY where ice cream cones are $1.00!!! I highly recommend bringing $1.00 (+ tax) and find that there this a high probability of an ice cream based outing at some point on the weekend. I found the salt-taffy caramel flavour to be delicious. We also discovered the world's awesomest park ever, right next to the world's biggest bridge ever, and the waterfront trail. Bike are recommended.

Finally, in a fortuitous turn of events, Momma and the boys will be attending (which means Bernie the wonderdog is coming too) so we are a family of 4 plus dog.

Poster below...

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
Doesn't look very barn-y to me; but I'm in!
I'll bring some kind of salad for the potluck I guess.
And a dollar.
😊

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »
I'm in, I think (I may be getting that wisdom tooth out after all on Tuesday so I may be feeling invalidish instead) and so is Missy the 10 year old puppy.

I was going to bring a quinoa/wild rice salad (so I have food I can eat) but what are we doing for protein?  And breakfast?  My regular portable meals are the basics - cheese chunks and cherry tomatoes and carrots, crustless quiche, hard boiled eggs, but those don't work for large groups.  Are we doing hot dogs on the fire?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2016, 05:31:34 PM »
I'm in, I think (I may be getting that wisdom tooth out after all on Tuesday so I may be feeling invalidish instead) and so is Missy the 10 year old puppy.

I was going to bring a quinoa/wild rice salad (so I have food I can eat) but what are we doing for protein?  And breakfast?  My regular portable meals are the basics - cheese chunks and cherry tomatoes and carrots, crustless quiche, hard boiled eggs, but those don't work for large groups.  Are we doing hot dogs on the fire?

I'll supply one breakfast - a flat of eggs and a slab of bacon should be manageable. We will bring a coffee maker and some sort of juice-like drink. But please, I can't stress enough that we will be the worst hosts ever. All we have to offer is an empty box to meet and sleep in.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2016, 06:14:43 AM »
I wasn't suggesting you should supply food!  I am wondering about cooking  ;-)  Will there be a functional stove?  Should I bring frypans and utensils and paper towel for the bacon?  I can bring low-carb gluten-free beef/venison chili* for dinner if there is something to heat it with.

*ingredients: ground beef, ground venison, tomatoes (diced and crushed from cans), onions and garlic sauteed in lard, chili powder.  Maybe mushrooms.  If you want kidney beans you have to add them, I don't put them in chili.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2016, 07:45:14 PM »
I get no credit for the poster? Dude....

I want my 37 minutes back....(pout)

Do Snacky, and Scrubby, and Swick, and, and so many other Canadians know about this meetup??
I hope y'all have fun. You still have time to die from your cold AND rise from the dead!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2016, 08:39:55 PM »
G-Dog - I'm so sorry - I thought I said you made it. Now I feel like a total schmuk. A billion million apologies!

Folks, the poster is G-dog's work. Thank her for me, would ya!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2016, 08:42:18 PM »
I wasn't suggesting you should supply food!  I am wondering about cooking  ;-)  Will there be a functional stove?  Should I bring frypans and utensils and paper towel for the bacon?  I can bring low-carb gluten-free beef/venison chili* for dinner if there is something to heat it with.

*ingredients: ground beef, ground venison, tomatoes (diced and crushed from cans), onions and garlic sauteed in lard, chili powder.  Maybe mushrooms.  If you want kidney beans you have to add them, I don't put them in chili.

We will bring a bar fridge, a couple of butane-powered hot plates and one electric hotplate (if i can find it) but I really doubt there will be an oven. No other appliances will be there on purpose - however based on the condition of the house at teh walkthrough, I would not be surprised if teh current owner is forced to abandon an untold number of things... which could make things interesting for us.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2016, 08:43:24 PM »
G-Dog - I'm so sorry - I thought I said you made it. Now I feel like a total schmuk. A billion million apologies!

Folks, the poster is G-dog's work. Thank her for me, would ya!

If I had a dollar for every time I thought I had written something in a note, rather than just thinking about it....
You were in the depths of your man old delerium, short on oxygen and drowning in mucus. You are more than forgive.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2016, 08:44:34 PM »

We will bring a bar fridge, a couple of butane-powered hot plates and one electric hotplate (if i can find it) but I really doubt there will be an oven. No other appliances will be there on purpose - however based on the condition of the house at teh walkthrough, I would not be surprised if teh current owner is forced to abandon an untold number of things... which could make things interesting for us.

Is there a pool on how many vermin you will find? Broken toys?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2016, 08:47:38 PM »
So far no mouse poops discovered, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we end up with some snap traps popping. It is country-esque.

I find myself hoping that the current owner leaves behind their fire-grate. They have a nice little outdoor woodstove that I hadn't noticed before. Fingers crossed that we get it. It wasn't out with their yard sale.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2016, 07:17:39 AM »
Do Snacky, and Scrubby, and Swick, and, and so many other Canadians know about this meetup??

Um, they may well know, but Canada . . . . they are a few 1000 km away.  ;-(   Belleville is a 2+ hour drive from Toronto or Ottawa, they are much further west.  If they wanted to fly into Ottawa I would happily drive them to the sleepover, but I doubt they are up for that!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2016, 07:19:04 AM »
So far no mouse poops discovered, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we end up with some snap traps popping. It is country-esque.

I have snap traps from the drowned baby mouse incident.  Should I bring them?  Missy might catch a mouse but I am not sure she would know what to do with it once she had it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!