Author Topic: Belgian Moustachians  (Read 31104 times)

TheShinyHorse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Belgian Moustachians
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »
Pannenkoek: another idea I had regarding the health insurance: if you work an interim contract for at least one day each year, you will be covered for the next year I believe. So there's an easy way to avoid paying the 3k/year.
I researched it a bit more and I think I will receive a pro rata pension. so if I work 12 years, it will be 12/45 (yes, this will be peanuts). If you work for 30 years, your pension will be upped to at least the minimum pension.
Oh, I looked a bit deeper into it, and you're right. The number of total active days is counted and then divided by the equivalent on 45 years: https://www.onprvp.fgov.be/NL/profes/calculation/career/fraction/paginas/default.aspx

I was confused by all the little different rules they have regarding pensions (vervroegd pensioen, minimum pensioen) and starting mixing up some concepts. My previous posts about this were also wrong.

• Minimumrecht per loopbaanjaar: starts when you work at least 1/3th for at least 15 year. If you work a little bit extra for 3 year, you can apply for that. Will probably add pennies to your monthly cheque.
  • Gewaarborgd minimum pensioen: at least 30 years working at least half-time. Confusing name because it's neither "guaranteed", nor a minimum (pro rata of this minimum still applied)
  • Vervroegd pensioen: Probably won't apply in the future any longer: https://www.socialsecurity.be/citizen/nl/pensioen/je-pensioen-als-werknemer/vervroegd-pensioen-werknemer
  • Rustpensioen, pensioenbonus, aanvullend pensioen, pensioensparen etc etc etc
Here you can find a good example for a typical employee: https://www.onprvp.fgov.be/NL/profes/calculation/example/paginas/default.aspx

I'm hoping they don't count accumulating index funds as "income" since there aren't any dividends. In that case I would pay 0.
They say: "De bijdrage die je als verblijvende moet betalen, is afhankelijk van je bruto belastbaar gezinsinkomen van 2018." But there isn't any 'bruto belastbaar inkomen' as accumulating (stock) funds aren't taxed :) (not sure if I understand all of this correctly)
No, nothing to worry about. I think dividends wouldn't count either, cause you don't pay "inkomstenbelasting" on them, rather "roerende voorheffing" (not counted with your income).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:02:44 PM by TheShinyHorse »

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #201 on: August 05, 2018, 08:54:46 AM »
Interesting thread guys. I'm a fellow mustachian/boglehead from Belgium aiming to be FI by age 35.

Read through the thread and learned a bunch of useful stuff. So if I understand it correctly there are 2 big disadvantages if I would retire at 35 and never work again:

• No pension at 67. Sucks a bit. So even though I've worked for 12 years and paid my taxes I don't receive any pension? Doesn't seem fair. Wait, think I misunderstood. I'll still get 12/45 right?
  • No health insurance anymore. But I could get a 'statuut verblijvende in BelgiŽ' and get comprehensive health insurance by paying a quarterly fee: https://www.cm.be/media/Bijdrage-verblijvenden_tcm47-45304.pdf. Is this correct? Not sure how the 'jaarinkomen' is calculated if your only source of income is selling accumulating index funds but this would mean max 725Ä per quarter currently.
35 is pretty ambitious for Belgium. Care to do a guest post on my blog explaining how you hope to get there?

Pannenkoek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »
Interesting thread guys. I'm a fellow mustachian/boglehead from Belgium aiming to be FI by age 35.

Read through the thread and learned a bunch of useful stuff. So if I understand it correctly there are 2 big disadvantages if I would retire at 35 and never work again:

• No pension at 67. Sucks a bit. So even though I've worked for 12 years and paid my taxes I don't receive any pension? Doesn't seem fair. Wait, think I misunderstood. I'll still get 12/45 right?
  • No health insurance anymore. But I could get a 'statuut verblijvende in BelgiŽ' and get comprehensive health insurance by paying a quarterly fee: https://www.cm.be/media/Bijdrage-verblijvenden_tcm47-45304.pdf. Is this correct? Not sure how the 'jaarinkomen' is calculated if your only source of income is selling accumulating index funds but this would mean max 725Ä per quarter currently.
35 is pretty ambitious for Belgium. Care to do a guest post on my blog explaining how you hope to get there?

I read your blog! Pretty funny and interesting to read. I must say I recognize myself in you as I'm not particularly ambitious (some even say lazy) myself. Maybe even lazier as I have no ambition to start meddling with options and all that. Seems like too much work.

Where I differ from you is that I'm not really that voyeuristic :). But I will tell you my (embarrassing) secret: I'm 30 years old and still live with my parents. This means I can transfer about 90% of my (pretty average) salary every month and put it into an index tracker (IWDA). I also started pretty young. Started reading MrMoneymustache and jlcollinsnh when I was 24 and started investing at 25. According to my calculations I will have about 500K at 35 assuming decent market returns (5-6%). Of course if I would FIRE at 35, this would mean a pretty no frills lifestyle at 15-20K per year so not sure if I will pull the trigger then.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2018, 11:15:46 AM »
Well, living at the parents definitely helps the savings rate!
I am living (and aiming) for a 20K lifestyle and I find my life to have more than enough frills! Funs doesn't have to be expensive. also, when you have all the time in the world you can get a lot of stuff a lot cheaper. Effort + time = money.

Pannenkoek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2018, 02:49:42 AM »
Well, living at the parents definitely helps the savings rate!
I am living (and aiming) for a 20K lifestyle and I find my life to have more than enough frills! Funs doesn't have to be expensive. also, when you have all the time in the world you can get a lot of stuff a lot cheaper. Effort + time = money.

If I have 500K I'll probably live on 15K the first years just to be sure in case of a poor sequence of returns in the beginning. If I see that even then my portfolio is still growing I'll loose the reins a bit.

But 15K would include:

- rent: lets say 750 per month or 9K per year
- health insurance: 3K per year? Forgot again that I probably don't have to pay because of no income. Damn you goldfish memory...
- utilities/food: 3,5K per year? (150 utilities and 150 food per month)
(- 0,15% wealth tax from the Belgian government: 750Ä per year :p)

So this is 15,5K 12,5K just covering my basic needs. I can probably lower that rent if I find someone that wants to live with me. In that case, I'll have about 7K for discretionary spending. Not too shabby. Maybe I can even buy a car and get children. Am I missing something important in my expenses?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:32:39 PM by Pannenkoek »