Author Topic: Austin, TX meet-up  (Read 15714 times)

Hunny156

• Bristles
Re: Austin, TX meet-up
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2017, 08:03:43 PM »
Do you recall the name of the round Rock meetup?

I set up a group on Facebook, Austin area Mustachians.  Please join!!

Great! But how do you feel about making it a private group? I myself and I would imagine others would prefer to keep the mustachian stuff unknown to coworkers/bosses for example and an open group shows up on your profile (I think).

I considered making it private, but then it won't be searchable, so joining would be difficult.  Perhaps start as a closed group, then switch to private once it's a bit more established?

BogleBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »

Great! But how do you feel about making it a private group? I myself and I would imagine others would prefer to keep the mustachian stuff unknown to coworkers/bosses for example and an open group shows up on your profile (I think).

I considered making it private, but then it won't be searchable, so joining would be difficult.  Perhaps start as a closed group, then switch to private once it's a bit more established?

It's your group so up to you. Nothing stopping you from having two groups though, right? One private, one open.

I would think most people will find out about the FB groups here too.

If there's both a private and an open group I would imagine events could be posted in both groups. I'm not a facebook pro though so I don't really know the best way to do this stuff.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2017, 08:26:11 PM »
OK, so my group is a closed group, which means that someone can search for the group and see who is in it, but not see posts.  The next level would require someone to either friend me or someone else in the group in order to get in.  Not practical for this purpose, in my opinion.  But you are welcome to start your own group and see how that goes?  I'm not interested in "owning" any group, so everyone who joins is being made an admin, so they would all have full rights to the group.

So far, I've got four members!  Lol.

Bicycle_B

• Pencil Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2017, 07:55:01 AM »
Fwiw, I am comfortable with IRL meetups where I tell individuals who I am, but prefer not to have my actual identity visible in MMM online groups.  To me the ability to say more of what I want comes from maintaining anonymity to some extent. 

I guess it was years ago when Facebook was so egregious about opening up people's privacy settings but it just doesn't feel like a private space to me.

AustinKat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2017, 08:16:58 AM »
<delurking> I just applied to join the Austin FB group. My name has "Kat" in it, so you'll know it's me. ;) <relurking>

BogleBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »
Fwiw, I am comfortable with IRL meetups where I tell individuals who I am, but prefer not to have my actual identity visible in MMM online groups.  To me the ability to say more of what I want comes from maintaining anonymity to some extent. 

I guess it was years ago when Facebook was so egregious about opening up people's privacy settings but it just doesn't feel like a private space to me.

I'm on the same page as you. I could do a secret facebook group that isn't searchable/discoverable by just anyone or an email list where everyone is BCC'd though.

Also don't mind talking to people IRL and deciding what to share with them, but do mind this info about me being easily found by anyone online.

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
I abandoned social media a long time ago due to the excessive drama load. Please crosspost any finalized(ish) plans here.

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE:2017 "Without music, life would be a mistake.
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2017, 10:10:11 PM »

The Round Rock Wealthbuilder's Meetup
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children: http://www.financiallypossible.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/TripSeibold

FIexec

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »
I abandoned social media a long time ago due to the excessive drama load. Please crosspost any finalized(ish) plans here.

+1 I never joined social media... so are we going up to Liberty Hill?

bertdtx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2017, 09:28:45 PM »

+1

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »
Still open to doing something at my house, but if y'all wanted something a little more central, how about Blue Baker in the arboretum?  They have a huge indoor seating area, perhaps get together early afternoon?

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2017, 08:29:37 PM »
Blue Baker is fine, though naptime is 1-3PM.

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »
Still open to doing something at my house, but if y'all wanted something a little more central, how about Blue Baker in the arboretum?  They have a huge indoor seating area, perhaps get together early afternoon?

Ah, I miss going to Blue Baker and getting their day old breads.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children: http://www.financiallypossible.com/

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »

FInding good bread has been a challenge.  Hubby really likes their version of Italian Bread, so we will often run in when nearby to check on the day old bread.  I've got hubby trained now, he works in College Station from time to time, which is where Blue Baker originated.  Last week, he came home with two loaves of Day old Italian bread.  It's now portioned out and in the freezer, for the next time he wants a sammy.  :)

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »

I've got hubby trained now, he works in College Station from time to time, which is where Blue Baker originated.

Freebirds originated there as well. I attended Texas A&M.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2017, 03:43:52 PM »
Show of hands, who is available to meet at Blue Baker on 2/4 at 3 PM?  Or shall we defer to another time and place?

BogleBoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2017, 03:47:22 PM »
Show of hands, who is available to meet at Blue Baker on 2/4 at 3 PM?  Or shall we defer to another time and place?

I'm out of town that weekend, but I'm here this weekend and the weekend of 2/11.

lilieng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2017, 05:14:19 PM »
Here's a direct link to the Facebook group in case anyone's having trouble finding it!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/389828901354772/

We will cross-post but it's easier to coordinate with people on a format that isn't these forums (the email notifications aren't great, people forget to check back)

lilieng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2017, 07:39:02 AM »
ANNOUNCEMENT: MEETUP:
Feb 4th (Saturday)
1:00pm
The Blue Baker (in the Arboretum)

Hope to see you there!

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »
Hope y'all are having fun! - naptime just started.