Author Topic: Any Clevelanders?  (Read 48537 times)

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: The southernmost, shallowest, and smallest by volume of the Great Lakes
  • C:。ミ
Re: Any Clevelanders?
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2021, 09:14:10 AM »
I will be attending the virtual camp mustache in a couple of hours (from 1-6 eastern). It would be cool to see some Ohio people there. :)

They post zoom links about 5 minutes before each event on https://www.facebook.com/welovecampmustache

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2021, 04:33:33 PM »

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2021, 07:56:29 AM »
Is anyone attending the EconoMe conference in Cincinnati in November? They released the news that MMM is going to be one of the speakers. A buddy and I will be there, hoping to meet up with some others as well.

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: The southernmost, shallowest, and smallest by volume of the Great Lakes
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2021, 06:59:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing. It would be really cool to see Pete speak. I pulled up their site and read a bit of it. https://economeconference.com/

At first, I was having some trouble determining the purpose and target audience of this conference. They say: "We bring together thought leaders to guide us in questioning our assumptions about happiness, freedom, and prosperity through the lens of personal finance." So I was thinking it might be about promoting social change, in which case the target audience would be professionals and non-profit types? So naturally I was asking myself what's the benefit to an ordinary guy who's working on his own FIRE plans? Kept reading. Nope, it's for ordinary savers. It's going to build community and provide a lot of education, packed together into a two days.

OK, cool, but there's costs too. If I were to come solo from CLE, I think it would be a fairly expensive weekend. $200 conference fee (before fees and taxes), Friday and Saturday night in a hotel (assume $200), plus 330 miles each way, call it $330 in car costs. If the above costs could be reduced through carpooling and maybe some couchsurfing with local FIRE folks, I would carve out a weekend and pony up the registration fees. Any Clevelanders interested?

[Note: This is the point at which it would be super useful if we already knew each other... Anyone down for a meetup?]

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2021, 07:20:41 AM »
Seems like it is basically a FinCon competitor that is currently much smaller. Reading between the lines I think this is Diania's side hustle that she's using to help get herself to FIRE...

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2021, 07:56:24 AM »
blah blah blah...

[Note: This is the point at which it would be super useful if we already knew each other... Anyone down for a meetup?]

It's time to pull the trigger on a Cleveland meetup.

Rather than ask for opinions, I'm going to propose something for THIS MONTH (aka next week)!!!

Note: I'm sure there are better ways to do this and I welcome recommendations for more frugal meetups, better locations, and more convenient times. Please send them my way and we can plan better for our September meetup (tentatively September 28 until I get further feedback).

Location: Winking Lizard in Avon, Ohio (just off I-90 at Rt83)
Date: Tuesday, August 31
Time: 6pm-8pm (or later if people come and fun happens)
RSVP: by PM to me (so I know how big of a table to get and so I can give you my phone number)

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2021, 12:02:30 PM »
blah blah blah...

Rather than ask for opinions, I'm going to propose something for THIS MONTH (aka next week)!!!

Note: I'm sure there are better ways to do this and I welcome recommendations for more frugal meetups, better locations, and more convenient times. Please send them my way and we can plan better for our September meetup (tentatively September 28 until I get further feedback).

RSVP: by PM to me (so I know how big of a table to get and so I can give you my phone number)
I'm having a similar cost calculation to yours in that I am all the way over in Mentor so driving WAY over to Avon 2 hours round trip for a 2 hour meet up which might be you and I is a challenge especially on a work day.  Will see as it gets closer if the mood strikes me and I will PM you if that happens, but those are my thoughts.  I do love the idea of just setting up times though rather than trying to plan here because seems it is weeks between posts.

huntergatherer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2021, 02:51:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing. It would be really cool to see Pete speak. I pulled up their site and read a bit of it. https://economeconference.com/

At first, I was having some trouble determining the purpose and target audience of this conference. They say: "We bring together thought leaders to guide us in questioning our assumptions about happiness, freedom, and prosperity through the lens of personal finance." So I was thinking it might be about promoting social change, in which case the target audience would be professionals and non-profit types? So naturally I was asking myself what's the benefit to an ordinary guy who's working on his own FIRE plans? Kept reading. Nope, it's for ordinary savers. It's going to build community and provide a lot of education, packed together into a two days.

OK, cool, but there's costs too. If I were to come solo from CLE, I think it would be a fairly expensive weekend. $200 conference fee (before fees and taxes), Friday and Saturday night in a hotel (assume $200), plus 330 miles each way, call it $330 in car costs. If the above costs could be reduced through carpooling and maybe some couchsurfing with local FIRE folks, I would carve out a weekend and pony up the registration fees. Any Clevelanders interested?

I attended Econome 2020, and got to see some familiar faces within the FIRE movement, but the content is targeted to people who are less familiar with FIRE. It is more of a motivational event to draw people into the FIRE journey, rather than giving mind-blowing strategies and tactics to reach FIRE. 

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2021, 08:26:12 AM »
I attended Econome 2020, and got to see some familiar faces within the FIRE movement, but the content is targeted to people who are less familiar with FIRE. It is more of a motivational event to draw people into the FIRE journey, rather than giving mind-blowing strategies and tactics to reach FIRE. 
Thanks for sharing your experience. Perhaps this isn't the event for me, since I'm probably in the 2022 FIRE cohort.

I'm having a similar cost calculation to yours in that I am all the way over in Mentor so driving WAY over to Avon 2 hours round trip for a 2 hour meet up which might be you and I is a challenge especially on a work day.  Will see as it gets closer if the mood strikes me and I will PM you if that happens, but those are my thoughts.  I do love the idea of just setting up times though rather than trying to plan here because seems it is weeks between posts.
I totally understand and would feel exactly the same about driving to Mentor. Let's see if anyone shows on Tuesday and then after that we can talk about a better location for September.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2021, 12:48:05 PM »

Well that is a bit of a bummer as I am not new to FIRE but it gives me an excuse to go back down to my alma mater and catch-up with friends.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2021, 07:24:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. Perhaps this isn't the event for me, since I'm probably in the 2022 FIRE cohort.

I totally understand and would feel exactly the same about driving to Mentor. Let's see if anyone shows on Tuesday and then after that we can talk about a better location for September.
Was checking in to see the report, but nothing.   Assuming that means it was not a roaring success?

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2021, 08:47:10 AM »
I was considering going since that location is close to me, but I decided against it because of the recent COVID case increases. When the pandemic subsides, I’ll seriously entertain attending a meetup. I went to one 4 years ago and it was a lot of fun. Lots of smart, interesting, and funny people showed up.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2021, 09:10:31 AM »
So it seems out trend to meet is once every 4 years like the Olympics.   I wish I had a better idea (I do not or I'd suggest it) because the issues are real.    Traveling hours for a gathering at a restaurant or bar to chat about unknown topics is not a draw for most and I believe the results speak for themselves.   I believe the only way this works is regularly scheduled meetings with specific topics for each.   That way people can plan and also know if they are interested in the topic for that session.    I think without setting it up as a formal club will foster the same results.  I do not have the time currently to take that on as I volunteer in other groups (who function the same way and at least have mediocre attendance, hence why I am suggesting it) and am not looking to step away from those to open bandwidth for helping get a FIRE meetup operational, but maybe someone else wants to take the initiative and this idea will help.

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2021, 06:29:20 AM »
Was checking in to see the report, but nothing.   Assuming that means it was not a roaring success?

Naw...

Thanks for the nudge. I've been meaning to plan another one, but it seems I'm not really capable of maintaining a consistent presence in an online community. I get super excited and read everything for a few days, then I disappear for a few weeks/months. Maybe a meetup would solve that problem though. ;)

So it seems out trend to meet is once every 4 years like the Olympics.   I wish I had a better idea (I do not or I'd suggest it) because the issues are real.    Traveling hours for a gathering at a restaurant or bar to chat about unknown topics is not a draw for most and I believe the results speak for themselves.   I believe the only way this works is regularly scheduled meetings with specific topics for each.   That way people can plan and also know if they are interested in the topic for that session.    I think without setting it up as a formal club will foster the same results.  I do not have the time currently to take that on as I volunteer in other groups (who function the same way and at least have mediocre attendance, hence why I am suggesting it) and am not looking to step away from those to open bandwidth for helping get a FIRE meetup operational, but maybe someone else wants to take the initiative and this idea will help.
I'm trying not to be butthurt, but this sounds a lot like "wow, you sure f*cked everything up". It looked to me like nobody had made any effort in years. I thought maybe it would be worthwhile to see if people might come out of the woodwork if there was a formal date. Nobody offered any alternative ideas prior to the meetup (or since). This pep talk is not super-motivating me to want to continue trying to organize things.

I even considered reaching out to the NEOH ChooseFI people to see if they wanted to do a joint event.

But yeah, I'm not exactly feelin' it right now.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2021, 10:36:46 AM »
Not meant as anything against you, kudos for trying.  That is certainly not what I meant, just sharing how I evaluated making the trip for me personally and why I did not attend.  It does seem there is not a very active FIRE community here is CLE, at least not one that ever looks on MMM.   I may peek at the ChooseFI chapter as with their podcast they do seem to have more activity as a national community.   My issue (and perhaps others) is that I am well into the autopilot stage where I just sock away what I can and check on my NW to post here in the tracking threads, so I am not looking for new ideas.   That's also part of the "problem" with FIRE and simple personal finance.    Once you realize this is really not that hard, that it is all about maintaining a savings rate and keeping spending in check you can learn or teach someone everything they ever need in about an hour, so again not like an investment club where we pretended we could pick stocks and presented on them and made ourselves feel like we had control over the uncontrollable.   Once you realize there is no secret you are missing it all becomes pretty basic.

I would just like to meet like minded people who are frugal and savers.   To me that is the value of meetups to get more people in my life who are not spendypants.

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2021, 07:07:10 AM »
Not meant as anything against you, kudos for trying.  That is certainly not what I meant, just sharing how I evaluated making the trip for me personally and why I did not attend.  It does seem there is not a very active FIRE community here is CLE, at least not one that ever looks on MMM.   I may peek at the ChooseFI chapter as with their podcast they do seem to have more activity as a national community.   My issue (and perhaps others) is that I am well into the autopilot stage where I just sock away what I can and check on my NW to post here in the tracking threads, so I am not looking for new ideas.   That's also part of the "problem" with FIRE and simple personal finance.    Once you realize this is really not that hard, that it is all about maintaining a savings rate and keeping spending in check you can learn or teach someone everything they ever need in about an hour, so again not like an investment club where we pretended we could pick stocks and presented on them and made ourselves feel like we had control over the uncontrollable.   Once you realize there is no secret you are missing it all becomes pretty basic.

I would just like to meet like minded people who are frugal and savers.   To me that is the value of meetups to get more people in my life who are not spendypants.
Thanks for explaining. I was pretty feeling pretty cranky. I'm over it now. I've been keeping an eye on the ChooseFI folks and it looks like they are about to have an event. I'll post back here with a link if that happens.

I'm in very much the same boat as you. I could RE today, but working because I'm not convinced the stache is big enough, even though I sort of know it is. But also, I want to be traveling abroad and that's not really available for the moment. I can also do some good in the world by donating surplus income, which keeps me motivated.

I would also like to meet more frugal people and learn more about how they entertain themselves when not working.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2021, 04:28:32 AM »

Thanks for explaining. I was pretty feeling pretty cranky. I'm over it now. I've been keeping an eye on the ChooseFI folks and it looks like they are about to have an event. I'll post back here with a link if that happens.

I'm in very much the same boat as you. I could RE today, but working because I'm not convinced the stache is big enough, even though I sort of know it is. But also, I want to be traveling abroad and that's not really available for the moment. I can also do some good in the world by donating surplus income, which keeps me motivated.

I would also like to meet more frugal people and learn more about how they entertain themselves when not working.
So not checked the boards since at least this time as it was in my "new replies to post" feed.

Just reading the last line and also my last line, for some reason the thought hit me.  Not sure if it has any relevance but is my reality so tossing it there for folks to think on.

I think folks who truly "get" the FIRE movement and embrace it are then also ones who would have a hard time justifying just spending money to eat and possibly drink just to meet.  I'm not a big drinker (at all) so I never go to bars etc. except for a work event that was there and I had to attend.   I do like food so going out to get some with my wife is something we do to entertain ourselves.  For me I guess the challenge of the typical spots is what I shared above.   I'm regularly evaluating options in my life against each other.   Is that time that I need to be away from my wife and just doing what I do more enticing than not?   The biggest hurdle is there are no relationships in this group as friends or such that would change that equation so it becomes a very ow bar to not choose a MMM meetup over nearly any other known quantity.   As stupid as it sounds I'd me more likely to show up to a meetup at a library or park (when it's warmer) where there is not an expectation that I need to spend money on food etc. as it just removes one more reason in the equation to say I'm spending money needlessly with an unknown benefit.   To give you another example of how frugal folks entertain themselves, I read (free, library books great CLEVENET access), have some streaming for entertainment ($24.64/month for Hulu and Netflix, plus 3 year prepaid Disney+), and then play sims on my computer.   I do things like American Truck Simulator and Farming Simulator (coming up on 2,000 hours in that one).   With the latter found a terrific online community that hosts persistent servers that run in real time.   The server I am a farm manager on, has 6 of us, and they are from all over the world.   Some have had babies, been through COVID, job issues, child issues, in short just daily life.   There is a bond there that is a type of friendship and I find my self wanting to talk to the guy from Northern Ireland who is studying to get his CDL and change careers, or the one from Sweden who raises a few horses as a hobby with his partner and who has two little toddlers who've been sick for the last month.    Then we help each other out in the sim as I was helping him bale and store his hay just yesterday for hours.   I'd love to meet them in person.  Why?  Because I've gotten to know them and have a relationship.    So that meandering story that seemed a bit random come full circle to the point here.

I'm not sure that until people start connecting in some way that the tipping point will be reached to meet in person over any even slightly more than trivial distance.   As I said, if there were ten people here on the east side who set up a time and it took me 10 minutes to get there, I'm enough of an extrovert that I'd be there in a heartbeat.   After all I understand that great friendships can develop from random meetings too.  But for whatever reason that is not the hand I've been dealt in life right now, as everyone is over on the far more boring (IMO) west side.  For a non-Mustachian the west side is wonderful.   Lots for restaurants, places to shop, places to drink, places to waste money I'm not interested in wasting.   I love to virtually farm for hours and be on voice chat or typing chat with folks and get to know them while sharing an experience we all enjoy.  If someone we find a way to connect a group of us in a chat or some virtual activity then driving to me a blukraken who I know his real name is Joe and who used to play little league as a kid like I did and loves baseball and we can lament about the atrocity that seems to be coming to MLB with adding the DH to the National League then I have a bigger draw for me to get out of my house and meet him to talk about Mustachian things.   I've got to care about meeting you more than I care about reading the next chapter of that book with my wife or watching the next episode of Big Sky with her that has been sitting on our PlayOn server ($60 for lifetime commercial free playing of Hulu) for two months because we just are not that focused on TV.  But there is not even enough motivation for Clevelanders to get to a keyboard on their phone or their desk and regularly type out a few words here, so I think the barrier is just too high for a real meetup until that changes.

So that's me sharing my thoughts on why I think this thing never goes anywhere when folks try to set a date.   It's not you.   It's the barriers each of us have and the opportunity costs we all weigh that keep us choosing something else over meeting up.   I've seen it in journals on this board.   People have met, sometimes while traveling to the other side of the world, because of chats they have had here, but they talked every few days.   So let's flip the dynamic a bit and see if we can't get all of us feeling a bit more connected and wanting to meet that person behind the keyboard in person.   You've tossed out the first idea "what do frugal people do to entertain themselves".    I've shared mine.   Who's next?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!