Author Topic: Any Clevelanders?  (Read 48535 times)

joet86

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Any Clevelanders?
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
I seem to be the only person with a Mustache in Cleveland, OH. Prove me wrong!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
Re: Any Clevelanders?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
I'm about an hour and a half from you, an hour north of Pittsburgh just inside the PA border.

buckeyenuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Everything in moderation, including moderation.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:55:54 AM »
I am a Clevelander answering your call from a few years ago. I hope that by now there may be a few more in beautiful NE Ohio. I would be interested in meeting other like minded folks in the area.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:19:38 AM by buckeyenuts »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
Not Cleveland, but close enough. If NE Ohio is going to meet up, count me in.

cmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
Southern suburb here!  We're a little too old to consider early retirement, but we like frugal living and enjoy reading the blog and forums here.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:16:24 PM by cmk »

buckeyenuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:48:32 AM »
I want to offer an invitation to all for the NE Ohio Bogleheads group, which meets about every 2-3 months. The group is mostly focused on investing philosophies developed by Jack Bogle, the Founder of Vanguard Investments. There is a mix of group members, but most are near retirement age or retired. However, the low-cost index investing message is very appropriate for all ages (including me at 30 something). It is a very casual and low stress group interested in educating members (i.e. no sales people or financial advisors there). I am hopeful to increase the age diversity of the group as I am one of the younger members.

Here is a link:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=133162
The next meeting is December 13th (weather permitting) in North Royalton. Check out the link above for more info or to be added to the group email distribution for updates. 

Brooks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Pretend to Be Poor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
Akron, OH here!

Ajmsbu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 10:30:26 AM »
Euclid, OH here!

buckeyenuts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »
Just wanted to give a reminder and update to any folks in the Cleveland, Ohio area. We will be holding a Bogleheads meeting on Saturday December 6th at 10am at the North Royalton Library. This is 1 week earlier than what I posted in a previous post. The main topics of conversation will be long term care insurance and firecalc, but this very knowledgeable group will offer insight on any other finance or retirement related topics that you may have. I am planning to ask insight into IRA allocation strategies for folks with a goal of ER. I read a very intriguing article by the mad fientist advocating a strategy to contribute to traditional IRA during working years and spend early retirement re-characterizing into Roth classification as a way to minimize tax burden. Typically the meetings are geared towards folks in retirement or pre-retirement phase, but I'm also available after the meeting (I'm in my 30s) if anyone wants to discuss FIRE topics for younger folks. Hope to see you all there!     

Spoom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
We're just outside of Cleveland.  Too bad we missed the Bogleheads meeting since I'm just getting into that stuff now.  Might be up for a meetup!

georgec

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 07:52:28 AM »
Kent, OH here.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 08:11:02 AM »
I'm still in NE Ohio. Keep me in the loop.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 01:05:37 PM »
Add another to the list of NE Ohioans.  I've actually attended a Boglehead meeting as well and am hoping to make the next one.  The environment in that meeting is a bit stiff though, it would be great to have a more informal meeting.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 05:55:50 AM »
Add another to the list of NE Ohioans.  I've actually attended a Boglehead meeting as well and am hoping to make the next one.  The environment in that meeting is a bit stiff though, it would be great to have a more informal meeting.

Another in NEOhio.  Not sure if I'm up for a Bogleheads meet if they bash on 4% SWR.  I'm not down for 2% SWR and 10 or 12 more years to get it.   I might attend one to learn more on the investing side and see how it is, but would prefer a MMM meetup, and less formal.  I draw the line at "wearing shirts with buttons" to fit in.

A bunch of NE Ohio folks weighed in on this thread, too. 
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/can-i-really-bike-to-work-(44-miles-round-trip)-in-ne-ohio/

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 06:05:23 AM »
Another in NE Ohio

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 06:13:48 AM »

Another in NEOhio.  Not sure if I'm up for a Bogleheads meet if they bash on 4% SWR.  I'm not down for 2% SWR and 10 or 12 more years to get it.   I might attend one to learn more on the investing side and see how it is, but would prefer a MMM meetup, and less formal.  I draw the line at "wearing shirts with buttons" to fit in.

A bunch of NE Ohio folks weighed in on this thread, too. 
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/can-i-really-bike-to-work-(44-miles-round-trip)-in-ne-ohio/

Nah its much more diverse and open minded than that at the local level.  You get people who invest "by the numbers," people who want to learn how to invest better, government employees, etc.  The meeting I went to was a good learning experience, they'll watch recent vanguard videos and discuss as a group as well as discuss different vehicles & instruments that people use and I learned about some more obscure things I had no idea about.  I didn't hear anyone mention a SWR the entire time I was there.  I also wore shorts/t-shirt and flip flops, although IDGAF what other people think of me but I wasn't the only one dressed that way.  Just the fact that you are there is usually enough for people to be accepting of you, especially so if you're younger since most of the Boglehead crowd is nearing the retirement age.

StubbleinOhio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 10:09:38 AM »
Brunswick, Ohio. Just southwest of Cleveland. Subscribed to updates in case anyone wants to meetup in the burbs.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 11:04:07 AM »
It appears that we have enough people interested in doing a meet up.  I would suggest hitting up a bar in the middle of the Ohio bermuda triangle (Cleveland, Akron, Medina)... but I don't really have any suggestions.  Maybe somewhere in Strongsville, Fairlawn or Parma?

cda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 03:47:17 PM »
Sorry this is off topic, but I'm hoping some Cleveland area Mustachians can help me and my husband choose a place to live.

We both work from home, so we could live anywhere. (But are choosing the Cleveland area to be near my family.) No kids. We could rent or buy, probably wouldn't want to spend more than $250,000 on a house, $180,000 or less would be awesome.

What Northeast Ohio city is closest to a Longmont? Right now we're staying with my parents in Stow, where you need a car to go anywhere.

It seems like the most walkable neighborhoods are around Case, Cleveland Heights, University Circle and also downtown, Ohio City/Tremont, and Lakewood. Did I miss any? These areas seem good, though they generally have higher taxes.

Then again we'd really like to be walking distance to some kind of wooded trail.

If you could live anywhere in NEO where would you live?

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 05:38:05 AM »
Sorry this is off topic, but I'm hoping some Cleveland area Mustachians can help me and my husband choose a place to live.

We both work from home, so we could live anywhere. (But are choosing the Cleveland area to be near my family.) No kids. We could rent or buy, probably wouldn't want to spend more than $250,000 on a house, $180,000 or less would be awesome.

What Northeast Ohio city is closest to a Longmont? Right now we're staying with my parents in Stow, where you need a car to go anywhere.

It seems like the most walkable neighborhoods are around Case, Cleveland Heights, University Circle and also downtown, Ohio City/Tremont, and Lakewood. Did I miss any? These areas seem good, though they generally have higher taxes.

Then again we'd really like to be walking distance to some kind of wooded trail.

If you could live anywhere in NEO where would you live?

Sounds like a wonderful plan!  Sadly, I'm not a native Ohioan so I'm not as familiar with the areas.  I think Solon might be a good option, but I think it might be too pricey.  I know all the levels of schools are packed together within a  half mile or mile of each other and the public library is right across the street so if you found a home in the neighboorhoods there you could easily walk/bike to all of those.  My wife and I are part of the Cleveland Hiking Club (if you are not familiar with it you should check it out.  Oldesy hiking club in the country.  Who knew in Cleveland?) and we did a hike in Solon last month and walked that area by the schools and there were lots of houses but my guess is from seeing them that they are over $250K, but there may be other neighboorhoods we did not walk there that might be in your range.  Back to the wooded trail situation, again I'd look at the CHC if you really want to find some great people to hike with and places to go.  They have between 10-20 hikes in the area every day, 365 days a year.  It's really fun and very Mustachian in cost ($80/year for a couple).

That's all I can offer.

cda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 07:07:40 AM »
Thanks caracarn! My husband has found a few houses he likes in Solon but I've been ruling it out because I didn't like driving there when I was in high school for some reason. I should definitely reconsider. Also that reminds me I wanted to look into joining the Solon Philharmonic, an "orchestra for professional and amateur musicians." That would be fun. Someone else recommended the Cleveland Hiking Club recently, I think one of my friends parents. Sounds pretty good!

MisterOwl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »
About 15 minutes from Cleveland. Getting a a group together to just brain storm would be awesome.

MontyRyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 05:14:07 PM »
Cuyahoga Falls, here - wife and I moved here from another state about two years ago. We are both engineers, hah. Would love to meet up with likeminded people. We live less than 15 minutes from a lot of different trails in the CVNP that we like to hike or bike on, and I'd assume that is probably a pretty common interest in this crowd.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »
I had the bright idea to start a group at meetup.com, but had no idea that it was not a free service.  Not sure that I want to spend $120/year when the other meetup groups that I came across seemed to meet once or twice and then had little traffic. 

I do like the idea of having a way to get together with other MMM folks, but this board does not seems to be the way to do it, so if anyone has an alternative that would work, let's talk about it!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 03:53:25 PM »
I'm from Cleveland. I grew up on the east side and live on the west side now. You know I'm legit' 'cause I'm talking about my side of town :)

I know there are a bunch of other Clevelanders on the board. There was a spirited discussion about he feasibility of bike commuting during the winter around here and a lot of people came out of the woodwork.

I'm guessing there just isn't enough interest to meet up with people in person. I'd be happy with a thread or two on here to discuss Cleveland specific things.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »
I'm from Cleveland. I grew up on the east side and live on the west side now. You know I'm legit' 'cause I'm talking about my side of town :)

I know there are a bunch of other Clevelanders on the board. There was a spirited discussion about he feasibility of bike commuting during the winter around here and a lot of people came out of the woodwork.

I'm guessing there just isn't enough interest to meet up with people in person. I'd be happy with a thread or two on here to discuss Cleveland specific things.

Also, you said "legit'", so that makes you legit'.

I started that crazy biking thread and was surprised how many folks came out to say they are in the area, or used to live in the area.  Someone interested in spearheading this could probably find the Cleveland/Akron area users on that thread, more users on this thread, and PM all those folks a link to a new thread in "Meetups and Social Events".  There is even a pinned post for Mustache Map which might identify others to PM.  We don't see every post, but there is a good chance PMs will get noticed.  I'd suggest trying to set it up 3 or 4 weeks out so people have a chance to find the post and get it on a calendar. 

I would be up for a scheduled hike at CVNP, depending on timing.  Between family and work I have some time for things like this, but not a lot, so timing may not work out, and that's ok.  But I've exchanged a number of PMs with caracarn, so would be nice to meet him and others.

Crazy biking thread link as a resource:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/can-i-really-bike-to-work-(44-miles-round-trip)-in-ne-ohio/msg925799/#msg925799

Iam-Claire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 05:08:25 AM »
Hi! I'm newish to the state. I'm on the east side of Cleveland. I'm always up for a meetup.

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 09:46:34 AM »
Seattle mustachian here: heading to Cleveland to work on the Clinton campaign. Would welcome the chance to connect with Cleveland-based mustachians while I'm in town (10/31-11/9).

Any iconic local joints or foods I need to sample to give me the quintessential Cleveland experience?

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 03:26:35 PM »
Are you going to be in the east or west side campaign office (Lakewood or Shaker Hts.)? That will help us give you some ideas for places to visit.

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 10:13:16 PM »
It looks like on the weekend, Mon and Tuesday I will work from this location 1368 E. 34th St.

On the weekdays, they've not yet assigned me to an office, but my guess/hunch is the Lakewood area. Can update when I know more!

Cheers,

A.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »
It looks like on the weekend, Mon and Tuesday I will work from this location 1368 E. 34th St.

On the weekdays, they've not yet assigned me to an office, but my guess/hunch is the Lakewood area. Can update when I know more!

Cheers,

A.

That part of the east side is a bit of a desert. If you head toward University Circle, there's Little Italy, check out Corbo's or Presti's for baked goods. Mama Santa's is also good. The art museum is also worth a visit (and free!), with a good cafe.

Slyman's Restaurant on St. Clair is good, but the hours are a little funky.

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2016, 09:30:25 AM »
Good stuff - many thanks!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »
NoStacheOhio good suggestions. If you end up in the Lakewood office, I would recommend checking out:

Melt for crazy grilled cheese sandwiches. They have locations on both sides of town, but the original is in Lakewood.
Voodoo Tuna for fusion sushi.
Barrio for tacos. They have downtown and Lakewood locations.

East 4th and W6th street have some good restaurants too. I don't eat downtown often, so I can't really recommend any of them personally.

Enjoy your stay in Cleveland!

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »
A fellow campaign volunteer lives in Little Italy and yesterday took us to an Italian bakery she likes. Turned out to be Presti's. I had the tamboli with spinach and sausage. So good. And so reasonably priced. Four dollars +. In Seattle, we don't have old school Italian places such as Presti's and even if we did, the price would be much higher. Probably $7+.

Hoping to try Slyman's today!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »
A fellow campaign volunteer lives in Little Italy and yesterday took us to an Italian bakery she likes. Turned out to be Presti's. I had the tamboli with spinach and sausage. So good. And so reasonably priced. Four dollars +. In Seattle, we don't have old school Italian places such as Presti's and even if we did, the price would be much higher. Probably $7+.

Hoping to try Slyman's today!

Nice! I'm glad you had a chance to try some places in Little Italy.

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »
Slyman's = super good stuff. Delicious sandwich and really nice people/vibe. Bonus points that it's right around the corner from the SEIU hall from which we are staging GOTV work.

Thanks for the tips!

Savethecash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2016, 10:28:39 PM »
Cleveland Eastsider here !!! What a great forum, my wife and I got started with this around one year ago and it enabled us to be completely out of college debt now. :-)

So we want to continue with this lifestyle and would love to hear from and meet with more mustachians in Cleveland. :-)

Best wishes

Amesenator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 02:00:03 PM »
Cleveland people, I'm now back in Seattle, licking wounds and wanting to hide under the covers, but I want to express appreciation to the residents of your city for their friendliness, warmth and appreciation to the out-of-state and foreign volunteers who came to Cuyahoga County to get out the vote for Clinton.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »
Cleveland people, I'm now back in Seattle, licking wounds and wanting to hide under the covers, but I want to express appreciation to the residents of your city for their friendliness, warmth and appreciation to the out-of-state and foreign volunteers who came to Cuyahoga County to get out the vote for Clinton.

I'm glad you enjoyed  your stay. I hope if you ever get to return to Cleveland, it is under better circumstances.

alexb2746

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 09:00:52 AM »
Might be late to this, but I would be interested in a meetup, although young (25) and new to the MMM ways. I rent in Stow for now and commute to Hudson for work by bike. I'll be here unless I get relocated, I moved here like 4-5 years ago.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 02:10:14 PM »
Hi NEO People,

I am down in Cuyahoga Falls but would be interested in a meetup sometime. Hopefully this page picks up traction again.

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2017, 03:02:44 PM »
I would love to meet up with MMMers in the greater Cleveland area.
I am in the city of Cleveland, but can drive to a meeting place within, say, an hour-drive radius.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
Hi NEO People,

I am down in Cuyahoga Falls but would be interested in a meetup sometime. Hopefully this page picks up traction again.

I am in the city of Cleveland, but can drive to a meeting place within, say, an hour-drive radius.

Welcome guys! I'm glad to see some more Clevelanders coming out of the woodwork.

We seem to be a reclusive bunch here in Cleveland. I don't know if anyone has ever had a successful meetup here on the Cleveland thread.

sixkids

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2017, 02:16:55 PM »
I claim Cleveland to people outside of Cleveland, but I'm in a western suburb of Avon.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2017, 03:02:16 PM »
I claim Cleveland to people outside of Cleveland, but I'm in a western suburb of Avon.

Close enough :)

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
Hi NEO People,

Welcome guys! I'm glad to see some more Clevelanders coming out of the woodwork.

We seem to be a reclusive bunch here in Cleveland. I don't know if anyone has ever had a successful meetup here on the Cleveland thread.

None that I have heard.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »
Hi NEO People,

Well let's change that - this month is extremely busy for us due to our dog watching side gig but we should be able to meet sometime in April.

How does everyone's schedule look? Anyone up for a meet-up in about a month?

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 03:50:32 PM »
Hi NEO People,

Well let's change that - this month is extremely busy for us due to our dog watching side gig but we should be able to meet sometime in April.

How does everyone's schedule look? Anyone up for a meet-up in about a month?

Do you have any ideas for an activity or where to meet?

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2017, 06:35:25 PM »
El Arepazo sounds great to me - I have never been there.

To summarize all suggestions, what do people think about:
6:30-9pm, at El Arepazo, Monday, April 17?

If we put something on the calendar, we are more likely to get together :)

If anyone is super eager to join but absolutely cannot make this time, please suggest alternatives.

I imagine that after getting to know each other at El Arepazo, we all may want to do something more mustache-an, like a picnic in a metro park in summer

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2017, 08:19:15 AM »
I'm over on East side, so the proposed location is a little far for me, but not sure I could make it next month anyway.  Work is quite busy.  Maybe most of the people on the forum are West siders.

As another suggestion, it might be possible to book a conference room at a library which would be free.  Just an idea for possible spots