Author Topic: Any Clevelanders?  (Read 10141 times)

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
Re: Any Clevelanders?
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »
4/17/17 El Arepazo 6:30pm MMM Cleveland attendees so far (8):
craiglepaige +2 coworkers
mies (wife not attending due to gluten uncertainty)
homestead neohio
frugal heights +1
lamil

I still count 8, but carcarn was a "possible" and said he'd give an update.  I'll send him a PM.

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2017, 01:52:01 PM »
Perfect 😉
-The conqueror will always become a slave to his conquest.

- Eres Un Esclavo Financiero
https://youtu.be/GO1Fsp4cUTQ

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »
I will be there.
Less is more.

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »
Place is a bit crowded. Owner's son said he'll have a table ready by 6:25ish.

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »
I had to park on the street, parking lot was full. Hopefully once a few people leave soon, there be some parking for everyone else. Sorry.

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »
Big thanks to CraigLepaige for setting this up for us. I really enjoyed meeting everyone. If we do another meet up, I hope I can remember everyone's real name :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:01:55 PM by mies »
Less is more.

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2017, 07:35:55 PM »
I had a lot of fun - it took my mind off my super insane work schedule and helped me refocus on important things in life. Thank you guys!

Next time maybe we can have a potluck in a park when the weather is nice.

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2017, 07:58:25 PM »
I had a lot of fun - it took my mind off my super insane work schedule and helped me refocus on important things in life. Thank you guys!

Next time maybe we can have a potluck in a park when the weather is nice.

Being an international spy is difficult, glad we were able to give your mind a break :)

We were talking as we were leaving and I'm down to host a meeting at my place. Everyone can bring something and just hang outback. We can discuss it further down the line.

I'm also down to meet at a park as you said. Hope you guys liked the food.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2017, 05:33:58 AM »
I'm also down to meet at a park as you said.  Hope you guys liked the food.

I had a great time, though there was a certain something missing.  The walls were plenty orange, though, and that mostly made up for it.  The pupusas were awesome and it was a good place for an initial meetup of 8 folks.

Do you guys like to hike?  We could do a meetup at a park where we eat a potluck dinner then walk a few miles.  There are a few trails in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park that would be nice, but I'm always open to exploring new trails others know about that are closer in to Cleveland.  I might be the furthest south of the attendees last night, and CVNP is south of me.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2017, 05:43:10 AM »
Sorry I missed it, sounds like it was a good time.

Our appointment went well. We're looking at another minor surgery and that's it. There's a little bit more information to gather, but it looks like the cancer was earlier than we initially thought. So if they can biopsy with clean margins, she'll be cancer-free.

I'm also down to meet at a park as you said.  Hope you guys liked the food.

I had a great time, though there was a certain something missing.  The walls were plenty orange, though, and that mostly made up for it.  The pupusas were awesome and it was a good place for an initial meetup of 8 folks.

Do you guys like to hike?  We could do a meetup at a park where we eat a potluck dinner then walk a few miles.  There are a few trails in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park that would be nice, but I'm always open to exploring new trails others know about that are closer in to Cleveland.  I might be the furthest south of the attendees last night, and CVNP is south of me.

Yes! I've been wanting to get out more, but work, life, parenting, excuses, etc.
The first step is acknowledging you have a problem, right?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/digging-out-of-a-hole/

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2017, 05:43:52 AM »
I am up for hiking. Count me in. Any hiking location works for me.

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2017, 06:00:21 AM »
NoStache - glad to hear your news. Sending positive vibes your guys' way.

I'm glad you guys liked the food, and yes the walls are a bit bright lol. They kind of wake you up.

I'm down to hike. Haven't really done it in years. If someone else wants to come up with a date and place and we can make it happen.

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2017, 07:30:22 AM »
I'd be willing to go hike CVNP. As long as I don't have any existing plans, I can attend.
Less is more.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2017, 07:39:12 AM »
@NoStache glad for what sounds like good news given what you know.  Hoping for a successful minor surgery and peace of mind all around.

OK, would-be-hikers, I can suggest a few hikes for CVNP.  These all have picnic areas if we want to have a potluck or brown bag dinner first.  Others are welcome to suggest hikes further north (more centrally located).   In the spirit of getting something on the calendar, how about Tues May 16, 6:00pm, weather permitting?  We can start later if needed based on work schedules and travel time, but we need enough daylight to hike after eating.

Ledges Trail is really nice, good rock outcroppings and overlook, 2.2 miles.
https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/upload/Ledges_2016.pdf

Brandywine Gorge Loop Trail is nice, too, and when hiked clockwise you see Brandywine Falls near the end.  1.4 miles.
https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/upload/Brandywine-Falls-Area-Trails-2016-2.pdf

For something more rigorous, there is the Plateau Trail, which is 5 miles.  This might be a bit too much for a weeknight if eating together or for new hikers, but Oak Hill trail is 1.8 miles at the same location.  If we have a big group, we could eat then split into two smaller groups based on how far people want to hike.
https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/upload/Oak-Hill_2013_final_for-web-5.pdf

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »
OK, would-be-hikers, I can suggest a few hikes for CVNP.  These all have picnic areas if we want to have a potluck or brown bag dinner first.  Others are welcome to suggest hikes further north (more centrally located).   In the spirit of getting something on the calendar, how about Tues May 16, 6:00pm, weather permitting?  We can start later if needed based on work schedules and travel time, but we need enough daylight to hike after eating.

I'm up for CVNP, but I'll be in Syracuse that week.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2017, 10:10:30 AM »
I'm up for CVNP, but I'll be in Syracuse that week.

Let's try to set a date that you could make it, since you had to miss out on the first one.

I can't do the week of 5/8.  Is the week of May 1 too soon for people?  I could do Monday May 1 or Tuesday May 2.  10 day forecast is showing 60% chance of rain, but that can change a lot between now and then.  I'm fine hiking in all weather, but not everyone might be, and dinner in the rain is no fun.

If that doesn't work, we're looking at the week of May 22.

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
Hey guys, sorry I could not make it. 

As an idea for hiking I will through out the suggestion of joining a hike of the Cleveland Hiking Club.  You do not need to be a member to attend and the nice thing is that the hikes are planned and organized so you do not need to plot out a route etc.  Once on their website just go to Hiking Schedule tab, and maybe one of those could work out.  My wife and I have been members for a bit over a year and it's a nice Mustachian option and it is also the oldest active hiking club in the country about the celebrate it's 100th anniversary soon, so it was certainly a surprise find when we came across it.  It makes for a super easy hiking plan as you just get to show up and enjoy and they offer so many hikes every day of the year that there is usually something you can find that fits with your schedule and interests.  For this group it might be a good thing to look in to because I think most of you are West Siders and a majority of the hikes seem to be in that area.  That's the only downside my wife and I have had with it is it is tough to spend 45-60 minutes driving to a hiking location.

http://clevelandhikingclub.org/

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2017, 05:41:22 PM »
Oh wow I had no idea. Thanks for the link..

As far as May 2nd, I won't be able to make arrangements that soon since I'll be out of town till the 28th. So once I get back it's going to be a bit hectic.

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2017, 06:03:41 AM »
Maybe let's punt to early June?

Iam-Claire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2017, 05:27:47 AM »
Sonofabitch

I haven't been on the forums lately, and I'm bummed that I missed this. Hopefully I find out about the next meetup before it happens!

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2017, 06:51:15 AM »
Maybe let's punt to early June?

We waited more than 2 years from the initial post to the first meetup, so I think we can wait 2 months between the first and second meetup.  Again in the interest of getting something on the calendar, new proposals Mon June 5 6pm or Tues June 6 6pm.

@caracarn - We missed seeing you there, hopefully a future one will work out.  The Cleveland Hiking Club looks great as a resource for LOTS of local hikes.  They have annual 26 and 40 mile hikes!  I think a focused Mustachian meeting separate from club hikes is still of interest for those who want to talk FIRE strategies and share stories and motivations with a group who "gets it", especially if we plan to share a meal together.

@Iam-Claire - glad to hear there is another Cleveland MMMer interested, we'll try to set a date pretty far in advance so you know about it.

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2017, 07:33:46 AM »

@caracarn - We missed seeing you there, hopefully a future one will work out.  The Cleveland Hiking Club looks great as a resource for LOTS of local hikes.  They have annual 26 and 40 mile hikes!  I think a focused Mustachian meeting separate from club hikes is still of interest for those who want to talk FIRE strategies and share stories and motivations with a group who "gets it", especially if we plan to share a meal together.

Just tossing it out to make people aware, even for their own personal enjoyment.  We were surprised when we stumbled upon it.  We were just googling "cleveland hiking" trying to figure out new places to walk and found that gold mine.  Not pushing for CHC, but just adding some adjustments to what we've seen happen that might make it seem less unlikely to work for your purposes.  In most cases on the hikes people are walking and talking in small 2-4 person groups as it is hard to hear further than that, so if people wanted to talk with a group that "gets it', they can easily do that.  If the hike does have a meal at the end, it is still individual groups sitting down at tables however they want, so the MMMers who wanted to hang together could easily do that and no one would be offended.  It's not like we show up at a restaurant and have them set up a long table for 30 or something.  Just food for thought, as if we piggybacked on these once in a while it removes virtually all the planning other than saying a group of us are headed for a given hike.  I find it gets me out hiking a lot more than I otherwise would because it is so simple, and I get to meet 20-30 people each time (that's about the average I see on a given hike).  Might also get some converts to MMM lifestyle as many times people overhear what is being said and join in to learn more.  We've learned some pretty interesting things about a lot of topics on these hikes. 

With regards to making it out for me personally it is just a challenge being married with a lot of kids.  Always something needs to be done at home and I'm usually not home until 6:30 at best so the weeknight meetups will almost never work for me.  Maybe one of these days.  My wife is OK with frugal, but not enough to meet a bunch of people talking about it.  I mentioned the Monday event to her that I was unable to get to and she just rolled her eyes and told me it was fine if I wanted to hang out but she had zero interest.  Monday she had errands and I ended up having to pick up some stuff on the way home so it just was not working on the calendar.  Not sure if a lot of the other folks that made it are kidless, but we find our time to socialize is just tough right now beyond anything within 30 minutes of the house, and this location was just too far.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:38:54 AM by caracarn »

FrugalHeights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »
May is super busy for me, but June works great.
Previously proposed Jun 5 or 6 at 6pm works.
Hiking works too for last week of May or later. It seems to be better to do during a weekday (probably goes without saying). Any hiking place is good for me.

Iam-Claire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2017, 05:28:05 AM »
Thanks! Now that I know something is in the works I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread.

I'm in Shaker Heights but I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance for a meetup.

Iam-Claire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2017, 03:06:02 AM »
Any update?

caracarn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2017, 05:46:00 AM »
I do no think anything is planned by anyone. 

L2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2017, 10:43:51 AM »
Just checking in. New Cleveland member here.

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »

Welcome! Are you an east sider, west sider, or somewhere else? If you prefer not to say, it's cool :)
Less is more.

L2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2017, 06:23:58 AM »

Welcome! Are you an east sider, west sider, or somewhere else? If you prefer not to say, it's cool :)
Thanks. I am presently a "near west-sider" in Edgewater. Will be moving in a few months to Brooklyn, which i guess is still Westside.

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2017, 02:44:41 PM »

Thanks. I am presently a "near west-sider" in Edgewater. Will be moving in a few months to Brooklyn, which i guess is still Westside.

Nice! I'm on the west side also. I know a few other posters are as well. Good to see more locals on the board.
Less is more.