Author Topic: Alabama  (Read 4812 times)

austin.y

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Alabama
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »
I've converted my girlfriend and a few friends to mustachianism, but are there any others out there in the Huntsville/Madison area?

AL_Goatee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:47:29 PM »
I am trying to become mustached.  Just discovered the web page a couple weeks ago and I am loving it.  Unfortunately I have lots of bad habits to break.

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Not a lot of us in this state unfortunately. I'm in Mobile, at least for the next 18 months. Would love to meet others in the area!

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 02:20:59 PM »
Are there any opportunities for IT professionals in Alabama? I hear cost of living is very low there. Wouldn't mind moving there! :)

Of course, wife has plans to move to Europe, but if that doesn't pan out, I wouldn't mind going to Alabama at all.

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »
Are there any opportunities for IT professionals in Alabama? I hear cost of living is very low there. Wouldn't mind moving there! :)

Of course, wife has plans to move to Europe, but if that doesn't pan out, I wouldn't mind going to Alabama at all.
I can't speak to the IT opportunities, but I can speak to the low cost of living. Mobile county has 10% sales tax and the expected insurance costs of living in a flood zone on the gulf of mexico. We feel like we spend about as much living here as we did in Miami. If you are thinking about this state, I'd recommend Huntsville, Birmingham, or the Fort Payne/Lookout Mountain areas. Mobile has been consistently mismanaged for the past few decades and the city is having a hard time reviving downtown.

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »

I can't speak to the IT opportunities, but I can speak to the low cost of living. Mobile county has 10% sales tax and the expected insurance costs of living in a flood zone on the gulf of mexico. We feel like we spend about as much living here as we did in Miami. If you are thinking about this state, I'd recommend Huntsville, Birmingham, or the Fort Payne/Lookout Mountain areas. Mobile has been consistently mismanaged for the past few decades and the city is having a hard time reviving downtown.

Good to know. I am not looking to move at the moment, but I would want to stick to the south and the mid west if I ever want to move.

onionscelerypeppers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:27:55 PM »
Not a lot of us in this state unfortunately. I'm in Mobile, at least for the next 18 months. Would love to meet others in the area!

My fellow Mobilian! How many of us are there?

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 03:14:43 AM »

Wow, you’re the first I’ve heard of! Are you new to the area?

onionscelerypeppers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 10:20:52 AM »

Wow, you’re the first I’ve heard of! Are you new to the area?

PM'd you!

Babybalrog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 02:34:51 PM »
From Mobile also, but living out of state at the moment. I'll drop by for the holidays.
and COL is way cheaper in Mobile than up here in an "average" part of the country. Housing prices for one. At least out west of Cody.

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »
From Mobile also, but living out of state at the moment. I'll drop by for the holidays.
and COL is way cheaper in Mobile than up here in an "average" part of the country. Housing prices for one. At least out west of Cody.
Yeah, we were able to find cheap housing, but man, that 10% sales tax is a killer when most of your budget is consumables! And it's not like we get a lot of services for it. Schools are poor and outside city limits municipal maintenance functions rare. Its been tough not having many peers here as well, but maybe that would be different if I lived downtown.

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 11:52:15 AM »
Hi. I'm in Birmingham myself. DW is from Huntsville so we venture there every once in a while.

RethinkTheRatRace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rethink The Rat Race
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 06:26:30 PM »
My wife and I are up in Huntsville. I’d love to work out a meetup but I think I’d have better luck joining in with a Nashville meetup.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!