Author Topic: 2024 Magical MOAB Meetup October 4 - 11  (Read 33702 times)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
Re: 2024 Magical MOAB Meetup
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2023, 10:40:49 AM »
PTF since apparently there is a need for a geologist next time. ;) Looks fun and hopefully October 2024 will line up better than 2023 didn't.
It would be amazing to have an expert tell us what we're looking at!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2023, 10:50:54 AM »
Oh, I'm def planning on coming again.  DH wants to come, but what to do with DS11 (who will be 12 and in junior high).  We can miss some school and get the nasty letter, but honestly, we've already gotten that this year due to illness (for both kids) and last year they missed 20 & 25 days (due to illness).  I was looking at flying like @314159 did this year, but I'm not sure it's much faster when you factor in layovers and rental car.  Hmmm... Also, I think spouse and kid would prefer a cabin to a tent.  I'm keeping my options open, also 'cuz the dog...she's old.  We cannot really leave her anymore, even with our sitter.

I think having the group site was great.  G8 was a good location.  I was in G9, it wasn't bad except for the lack of power.  I often charged my phone at the jury-rigged extension cord in G8 while I made my morning coffee.

I also liked the mellowness of the group chat.  Who's doing what tomorrow?  What do I feel like doing tomorrow?

Thanks for this feedback!  We will definitely have a HQ site again--hopefully G6 which has power.  And yes, the WhatsApp group chat works really well for this event.  That was @Cherry Lane 's brilliant idea last year.  :)

I'm really glad you enjoyed it and are planning on returning next year.  And maybe with your family!

PTF since apparently there is a need for a geologist next time. ;) Looks fun and hopefully October 2024 will line up better than 2023 didn't.

Yay--I really hope this works out for you!

I can guarantee that any hike you express interest in will immediately be very popular, as we all want to learn more about the geology of Moab!  :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2023, 10:53:16 AM »
It would be amazing to have an expert tell us what we're looking at!

Yes!!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2023, 11:04:06 AM »
Hi Chaplin if you took the train to Grand Junction, you could ride Kokopelli Trail from Grand Junction to Moab then Rim Rocker trail back. That would be an adventure!

https://www.blm.gov/visit/kokopellis-trail

https://rimrockertrail.org/

That would definitely be an adventure - thanks for the suggestion! It looks challenging for a bunch of reasons, not least of them being water and food. My bikepacking setup will need some tweaking to go four days unsupported, but it looks like a great option.

I did this ride maybe 15 years ago- well, at least the Kokopelli part. This is super fun, but the logistics are challenging. The most fun way to do it is to have a person who is willing to drive equipment/camping stuff to predetermined camping spots and just have the riding be fun.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 11:07:34 AM by Glenstache »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2023, 11:32:23 AM »
I predict large group hikes if you're there.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2023, 11:34:09 AM »
I predict large group hikes if you're there.

We might need to wire you up with a mic like a tour guide.

Kidding!  I don't want to scare you away!  :)

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2023, 03:08:56 PM »

You should go -- you'll have a fabulous time!  If you are driving, I may nominate you to be the Carrier of the Flotation Flotsam and Jetsom that I took there and back this year (random assortment of inner tubes and personal flotation devices in a big rubbermaid tub).  Sadly, I am feeling crunched for cash with my upcoming home repair/renovation costs and most likely will sit out next year. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2023, 07:36:30 PM »

You should go -- you'll have a fabulous time!  If you are driving, I may nominate you to be the Carrier of the Flotation Flotsam and Jetsom that I took there and back this year (random assortment of inner tubes and personal flotation devices in a big rubbermaid tub).  Sadly, I am feeling crunched for cash with my upcoming home repair/renovation costs and most likely will sit out next year.

SAD FACE.

October is a long way away, and I hope that you will feel less crunched by that time! :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2023, 07:49:09 PM »
A few random thoughts about next October... (I am dreading winter and hence, I am making myself feel better by dreaming about next Spring/Summer/Fall.)

I want to make it a new tradition that I spend some time on the Colorado River during each Magical Moab Meetup.  This past year, I was in a canoe (mostly!) and last year, I was on a paddle board.

I have some interest in spending time farther downstream.....

"Cataract Canyon contains 14 miles of rapids ranging in difficulty up to Class V. It is a particularly hazardous and isolated section of the Colorado River and is subject to extreme water level fluctuations."  Sounds pretty gnarly, so I would want to do it with a professional river guide.

OR

I think this looks amazing.  I'd have to start saving my pennies for it, though.  https://www.paddlemoab.com/labyrinth-canyon

If I were to do either of these, I'd have to extend my stay in the area...either in the pre-meetup or the post-meetup direction.  Of course, this depends on whether there will be a Crazy Canadian Caravan coming in from the NE, and whether I am part of it.

One other thought...when I was at Canyonlands (Needles District) a couple weeks ago, I was reminded how much I love camping there.  I thought I'd make the suggestion that some meetup-ers might want to spend a couple nights there either before or after the meetup in Moab.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2023, 10:58:15 PM »
Hi Chaplin if you took the train to Grand Junction, you could ride Kokopelli Trail from Grand Junction to Moab then Rim Rocker trail back. That would be an adventure!

https://www.blm.gov/visit/kokopellis-trail

https://rimrockertrail.org/

That would definitely be an adventure - thanks for the suggestion! It looks challenging for a bunch of reasons, not least of them being water and food. My bikepacking setup will need some tweaking to go four days unsupported, but it looks like a great option.

I did this ride maybe 15 years ago- well, at least the Kokopelli part. This is super fun, but the logistics are challenging. The most fun way to do it is to have a person who is willing to drive equipment/camping stuff to predetermined camping spots and just have the riding be fun.

That would be fun, but I think I'll use it as an opportunity or incentive to up my game a bit and make sure I can do self-supported.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2023, 05:34:30 AM »
  Probably going to rent the house at Lazy Lizard again.  It’s very basic and humble but comfortable house with all the normal house amenities and it’s about 1.5 miles from the campground.  The big advantages to it over a cabin at the campground were that it had 2 bathrooms, a living room, you don’t have to bring bed linens or towels, and a nice enough kitchen that we could make Thanksgiving dinner for 40!  We ate out a lot less this year than 2022!

It worked out to be approx $300/night divided by the # of people staying.  Most nights that was 6 people.  Theoretically, there are beds for 19.  10-12 would probably be ideal.

If you are interested, let me know.  It will help me decide if I want to do it again.

Log

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2023, 10:28:39 AM »
  Probably going to rent the house at Lazy Lizard again.  It’s very basic and humble but comfortable house with all the normal house amenities and it’s about 1.5 miles from the campground.  The big advantages to it over a cabin at the campground were that it had 2 bathrooms, a living room, you don’t have to bring bed linens or towels, and a nice enough kitchen that we could make Thanksgiving dinner for 40!  We ate out a lot less this year than 2022!

It worked out to be approx $300/night divided by the # of people staying.  Most nights that was 6 people.  Theoretically, there are beds for 19.  10-12 would probably be ideal.

If you are interested, let me know.  It will help me decide if I want to do it again.

If I end up making it out next year, I would definitely want to be in on this (:

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2023, 12:41:13 PM »

I'm definitely interested, particularly if DH and DS decide to come for all/ part of it.  They are less into camping...

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2023, 03:37:33 PM »
PTF. I am thinking a fun little campervan road trip to Moab might be in order! I haven't ever been but I feel 2024 is my year....

Awesome!!  Hope you can join us!

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2023, 07:16:08 PM »

I'm interested. I might be doing the Amtrak/bike thing for 2024 so for the time in Moab something nicer than my one-person tent will be a treat and this sounds more economical than splitting one of the cabins at Sun Outdoors. Plus, I can be very helpful in the kitchen.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2023, 09:07:57 PM »
DH and I would tentatively be interested in house sharing. Not entirely sure what are lives will look like by next Oct.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2023, 11:43:31 PM »

If I go (and I want to!), I would definitely be in.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2023, 06:29:07 PM »
The black Friday sale at the campground will be happening this week.  I'm going to go ahead and book for the Friday before Canadian Thanksgiving and just assume that is when we will be there.  If @NinetyFour schedules it some other time I'll figure it out at that point.  That would make it October 11-18, 2024.

@Dicey and others, what do you think?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2023, 07:10:47 PM »
The black Friday sale at the campground will be happening this week.  I'm going to go ahead and book for the Friday before Canadian Thanksgiving and just assume that is when we will be there.  If @NinetyFour schedules it some other time I'll figure it out at that point.  That would make it October 11-18, 2024.

@Dicey and others, what do you think?
94 said she would post something on the group chat. When I spoke to her, she didn't have any Black Friday info, so I'm glad it's been published now. FWIW, I'm not available on the 12th, so I think my vote would be for later in the month, as we talked about briefly. I can always mail the nametags ahead, if push comes to shove. I think I've even figured out how to make them double-sided, woo-hoo!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2023, 10:50:42 PM »
@Dicey I will be going to Moab in 2024, I can ferry the name tags if needed :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2023, 08:11:43 AM »

Woo hoo!!!!!!!  :D

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2023, 08:16:18 AM »
I posted the following on the 2023 Moab Meetup WhatsApp chat this morning:

Hey Moab Meetup alumni!  Looks like the campground will have a Black Friday sale—so we need to nail down the dates.

If you have looked at the Oct 2024 calendar, you have noticed that the holiday weekend is later in the month than usual, so I’m not sure when we should do the meetup!  Doing it later in the month is nice for some people who like to take advantage of the day off of work.  However, we run the risk of getting into cooler wetter weather.

Here are some options:

Option 1:  Oct 4 - Oct 11 (“normal” time frame)

Option 2:  Oct 11 - Oct 18 (this includes the holiday weekend)

Option 3:  Oct 9 - Oct 16 (hybrid)

As always, attendees can arrive/depart whenever they want, so even if we do Option 1, some folks may opt to stay longer to enjoy the long weekend...

What are your thoughts?

I wonder if I should construct a poll....

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2023, 09:55:45 AM »
Option 2 is easier for me. But I'll likely be able to make it for at least part of any option.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2023, 12:08:28 PM »
In!

Slickrock, here we come!

Sorry, I just saw this!! Never heard of Slickrock, but if it's MTB stuff......I can't wait. Will have the full squish with me.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2023, 12:56:35 PM »
In!

Slickrock, here we come!

Sorry, I just saw this!! Never heard of Slickrock, but if it's MTB stuff......I can't wait. Will have the full squish with me.
You are in for a treat.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2023, 01:16:26 PM »
Option 3 - October 11 to 18 works best with my w*#k schedule, but I will manage no matter what the group decides.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2023, 03:41:44 PM »
I'm voting in both places. Due to other community commitments, option 1 is the only one I can vote for, boo-hoo!

Thanks, @oneday, your ferrying services are well respected in these parts. We especially like the price!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2023, 05:15:36 PM »

Woo hoo!!!!!!!  :D

Yay! Not having a destination wedding this year really frees up the schedule.

I vote for option 2, that works the best with my normal work schedule. Hopefully a week later does not get into too much rain! Like LifeHappens, I will work around any of the schedules, tho.

@Dicey did you know I worked as a courier for a bit? So I am a professionally trained ferry-er. 😉 I suppose I could charge quite a bit. I was actually over the moon thrilled at the goodie bag you gave me last time. Totally unexpected and totally fun!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2023, 06:37:18 PM »
Let's do Oct 4 - 11 at the campground.

I will likely stay through the holiday weekend if it looks like others will.

Looks like the campground will start its Black Friday sale tomorrow!!

https://www.sunoutdoors.com/utah/sun-outdoors-moab-downtown
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 06:41:05 PM by NinetyFour »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: 2024 Magical MOAB Meetup October 4 - 11
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2023, 07:20:45 PM »
The sale is live now.  The promo code is 23BLKFRIDAY.  It's a sweet discount!

Be sure to read the cancellation policy--it is generous!!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2023, 10:15:39 PM »
On that note:

@meadow lark @Log @mm1970 @Chaplin @Tass y'all still in for house sharing? I am definitely going and definitely staying in the share house, if it is an option.

But if not, now is the best time to snag the camp sites, so it would be great to sort this out. Thanks all :)

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2023, 06:15:53 AM »
We will probably try again next year (being so close to Moab we can essentially decide last minute!). With the two toddlers in the campground I didn't get much time to spend with others, especially since we tend to be an early-to-bed-early-to-rise family.  It probably won't be much better next year, although a lot of that can be solved by staying off site this time around. Staying at the Lazy Lizard house sounds more ideal to get a room of our own.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2023, 07:00:51 AM »
PTF. 

I should be home in early October next year, and would like to pop in for a day or two.  I'm not sure I can convince myself to spend money on lodging (not a camper) when I'm so used to just making daytrips to Moab.  I looked at the camping cabins in the campground and they are pretty spendy.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2023, 07:44:13 AM »
Alright. I booked a cabin for October 4 (Friday) to October 8 (Tuesday). Currently have site 96 as it was the only one available, but I didn't pay a lock fee so who knows?

The Black Friday discount was $200! That pays for 2 pairs of trail runners :)

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2023, 07:49:08 AM »
On that note:

@meadow lark @Log @mm1970 @Chaplin @Tass y'all still in for house sharing? I am definitely going and definitely staying in the share house, if it is an option.

But if not, now is the best time to snag the camp sites, so it would be great to sort this out. Thanks all :)

Still interested and open for the dates we've decided! ETA: Bringing my DH, so count us as two!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 09:51:47 AM by Tass »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2023, 08:25:58 AM »
Alright. I booked a cabin for October 4 (Friday) to October 8 (Tuesday). Currently have site 96 as it was the only one available, but I didn't pay a lock fee so who knows?

Will you have an extra parking space to sublet? Asking for a friend ;)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2023, 09:38:17 AM »

I don't know?

Can anyone tell me if the cabins come with 2 parking spaces?

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2023, 09:59:52 AM »

I don't know?

Can anyone tell me if the cabins come with 2 parking spaces?

Technically they only have one right behind the cabin, but if people can snag both 89 and 90 we found that there was room enough to tuck an extra SUV in between those cabins. 

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2023, 10:10:51 AM »
On that note:

I'm keen to do this as a bike trip so the casa would be my choice. However, a different bike trip might be interfering with this one so it's up-in-the-air right now. Best to make plans without me and if there's room I'll jump in and share the costs. If that doesn't work I'll either find someone with room to spare in the campground or go to a BLM site.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2023, 01:44:30 PM »

I think 96 is the ADA cabin with a ramp instead of stairs.  It is listed separately from the other cabins.  So if you clicked on that cabin type you only got the option for 96.  But there should have been another cabin listing with 91-95.  I'm in 90 (90 and 89 are the pet-friendly cabins, yet another cabin listing).

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2023, 03:40:53 PM »
  I don’t think we are going to come back to Moab next year.  At least that’s my expectation right now, so I won’t be renting the house. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2023, 06:03:50 PM »
I hope that is not because there's bad news on the horizon.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2023, 08:10:33 PM »
  I don’t think we are going to come back to Moab next year.  At least that’s my expectation right now, so I won’t be renting the house.

Aww, bummer.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2023, 04:41:22 PM »
We have cabin 89 for the week, assuming they don't move us. It was the only non-ADA cabin available from the 4th to the 11th. We did not pay the lock fee since we don't care which cabin we're in. @2Birds1Stone sounds like there could be room for you based on @lhamo's comment.

Our daughter will be two and a half by then so if she's sleeping without a problem we'd be willing to open up the extra beds to others. If she's not, no one is going to want to deal with that. Maybe no one wants to deal with that regardless. Hah!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 04:48:12 PM by Mr. Green »

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2023, 11:43:51 AM »
Hi Peeps! I'm booked Oct 4th through the 8th in the rustic tents. Looking forward to it.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2023, 02:58:25 PM »
Hi Peeps! I'm booked Oct 4th through the 8th in the rustic tents. Looking forward to it.

Woo hoo!!!!  :D

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2023, 03:49:36 AM »
Hi All--

Just a quick reminder that the campground is now offering a Black Friday discount.  It looks like it will be live through Tuesday, November 28.  If you have any interest in attending the meetup and staying at the campground, I would suggest that you jump on this nice discount.  They have a generous cancellation policy in case your plans change.

If you go to the main page and scroll down a little and look on the right side, you will see "Rules and Regulations".  Included therein is the cancellation policy.  You will also find there an explanation of their vehicle/car pass/visitor rules.  If you are planning on sharing a site with another camper or parking your car at someone else's site, please familiarize yourself with these rules.  Let's do our best to follow these rules so that we can enjoy this campground in future years.

Thank you!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2023, 05:41:43 AM »
@NinetyFour @Mr. Green, I looked at the policy and it looks like it's $10/day for a vehicle pass. Possibly $10/day additional guest pass per person (not sure since it states that in FL and AZ at Annual Resorts the first 14 days of guest visit is free then $10/day starting the 15th day and beyond.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2023, 05:50:17 AM »
There is also this statement:

"Two vehicles, inclusive of one RV (other than for vacation rentals), are included with each reservation or agreement as determined by Sun Outdoors and as space allows."

That makes it sound like each site can get hang tags for 2 cars without paying anything extra, but I'm not sure.

I would say that if you need any clarification, you should call the campground at 435-259-6848.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2023, 06:29:35 AM »
I like their cancellation policy and just booked Deluxe Tent Site G1 for for full week of October 4-11 :)

It was $340 bucks, and I think it can accommodate 2 cars and up to 6 people, so if someone is interested in splitting the site just PM me in the future.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!