Author Topic: What fund(s) in a UTMA?  (Read 900 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
What fund(s) in a UTMA?
« on: January 15, 2019, 05:40:08 PM »
Hey all,

Wondering what you would suggest as far as types of funds to be buying in a UTMA. We have accounts for each our son and daughter - currently most of it invested in the Total Market. We have a few other funds in there from my dad which I would probably sell and just invest in Total Market unless it's better investing in something else like an International Index Fund.  I stumbled across this thread, https://www.bogleheads.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=265935, and the first answer seems to be geared towards Tax Gain Harvesting, which I don't have any experience with but think I get the idea as it pertains to minors - basically sell off funds with capital gains up to the max [untaxable] amount allowed for minors.
We know Intl index funds are commonly suggested for taxable accounts and Total Market/S&P500 is great for Roth/Traditional/401k and most others. I just wasn't sure, with UTMAs, if there is a certain type of fund that works out best or if it really matters much.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:44:34 PM by jeromedawg »

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What fund(s) in a UTMA?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 07:01:51 PM »
Our kids UTMA accounts look like their parents taxable accounts: a mix of Berkshire, VTI, VEA and VWO (or VXUS). Tax efficient. Low fees. Diverse mix. If I did it again I’d probably go simpler and do just Berkshire and VT.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Re: What fund(s) in a UTMA?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 06:57:07 AM »
We have UTMAs for each of our four kids. They're all 100% invested in ITOT (S&P 1500 index fund). Our oldest is 7, so she has plenty of time for an aggressive allocation. I might start transitioning into some bonds when she's about 5 years out from college.