Author Topic: Welp, I'm going to take a stab at timing the market  (Read 169880 times)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
Re: Welp, I'm going to take a stab at timing the market
« Reply #300 on: June 04, 2019, 09:01:31 AM »
So actually would been just fine sitting out for some very long periods when the market went nowhere... 1965-1983, 1999-2013

Wrong.  Times when the market when nowhere and also times when it dipped are actually the best times to invest because you're buying cheap.  Putting money in when it's going up or has already gone up is actually worse. 

When the stock market was stagnating in the early 80s my grandfather was buying 30 year treasury bonds with double digit coupon yields. But that really isn't an option today.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: June 04, 2019, 09:05:33 AM »
So actually would been just fine sitting out for some very long periods when the market went nowhere... 1965-1983, 1999-2013

Wrong.  Times when the market when nowhere and also times when it dipped are actually the best times to invest because you're buying cheap.  Putting money in when it's going up or has already gone up is actually worse. 

When the stock market was stagnating in the early 80s my grandfather was buying 30 year treasury bonds with double digit coupon yields. But that really isn't an option today.

Oh sure, that would have been a great investment.  And to give another example, my parents had a mortgage in the 80's with interest rates in the 16% range, and with a mortgage that high, it makes sense to pay it down.  But nowadays, interest rates are low so stocks make the most sense.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #302 on: June 04, 2019, 09:30:50 AM »

This is the fallacy with only looking at market peaks and valleys.

Why do you completely overlook all of the time between those? If you're buying all those dips, you're making money on the way up. VERY few people lump sum invest at the top and then withdraw everything all at once.

It's why the 4% rule works. Sometimes you withdraw a little bit when the market is down, and sometimes when it's up. But because it's mostly up, you're not completely bankrupt just because of a recession.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #303 on: June 04, 2019, 09:43:28 AM »
I've been wondering about the markets.....the S&P has been going up for 10 years or so and apparently things never tend to go up for that long....there tends to be a depression of some sort every ten years or so....I'm in the UK and with Brexit in Oct....I'm unsure as to whether to wait to buy some investments in the next year or so, or just invest now accepting that it'll go down, but over 10 years come back up.

Hmm, tricky.....

There is a chinese proverb about the best time for investing was 20 years ago, the second best time is now.....I just think markets all might go down in next year or so.....

I have been only been casually following the brexit stuff. Am I reading this right: you are assuming markets in Britannia will tank if brexit happens? Why would this be the case? It might be bumpy, but over the long term the UK will likely benefit. Look at the U.S. When we broke away from an over-bearing, uncaring gov't our economy took off. The same could be for you. In this case it would be bloodless.

On another note, buy now!

I'm not sure that comparing the United States colonial uprising 200 plus years ago against the British to the UK leaving the EU today makes any sort of sense.  The situations are not comparable just about any way you look at them.

There's an awful lot of information saying that Brexit is a bad idea long term for the UK.  Don't take my word for it, check out the UK government's own reports (https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/the-governments-own-brexit-analysis-says-the-uk-will-be).  Or check out what economists are overwhelmingly saying (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/28/economists-reject-brexit-boost-cameron, https://piie.com/publications/working-papers/brexit-everyone-loses-britain-loses-most, etc).  The economic evidence appears to be heavily against Brexit.

Can you provide the sources you're using that say otherwise?

When the American colonies were at the brink of independence (in the 1770's), their citizens were already among the most affluent in the world.

Chuck Ditallin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #304 on: June 04, 2019, 11:52:37 AM »
Northern Ireland certainly isn't staying in the EU. Eire is staying in the EU.

I'll also point out that economists were predicting disaster for the UK economy immediately if the referendum result was in favour of leaving the EU; they were completely wrong.

They may or may not be correct about the consequences should the UK leave the EU with no deal, but their track record on Brexit-related matters leaves much to be desired.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #305 on: June 04, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »
1.8% real GDP growth for UK in 2017.

Compared to US figure 0f 2.2%.

Is all of that difference attributed to Brexit? probably not.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #306 on: June 04, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
Northern Ireland certainly isn't staying in the EU. Eire is staying in the EU.

I'll also point out that economists were predicting disaster for the UK economy immediately if the referendum result was in favour of leaving the EU; they were completely wrong.

They may or may not be correct about the consequences should the UK leave the EU with no deal, but their track record on Brexit-related matters leaves much to be desired.

To me, this is one of the fascinating things about Brexit.   The Good Friday Agreement prohibits a hard border between Northern Ireland and EU member Ireland.   So how do customs work between the UK and the EU if there is no hard border?   One solution would be to leave the border open between NI and Ireland, and have the hard border around the rest of the UK.  But that makes NI more like EU member Ireland than a UK member.    The Good Friday Agreement does allow for re-unification of NI and Ireland, and there is now some popular support for just that:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2019/02/united-ireland-now-looks-increasing-possibility

Similarly, Scotland has a strong, but minority, independence movement, and Scotland would like to remain in the EU.   Maybe this is the issue that forces the Independence issue for Scotland as well.   

appleshampooid

• Bristles
  • Relentless Snacker
« Reply #307 on: June 05, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »
Similarly, Scotland has a strong, but minority, independence movement, and Scotland would like to remain in the EU.   Maybe this is the issue that forces the Independence issue for Scotland as well.
The last referendum was fairly close (45 vs 55 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Scottish_independence_referendum) so I wonder if they vote again sometime soon, if the EU issue will tip the scales. 

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: June 05, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »
To me, this is one of the fascinating things about Brexit.   The Good Friday Agreement prohibits a hard border between Northern Ireland and EU member Ireland.   So how do customs work between the UK and the EU if there is no hard border?   One solution would be to leave the border open between NI and Ireland, and have the hard border around the rest of the UK.  But that makes NI more like EU member Ireland than a UK member.    The Good Friday Agreement does allow for re-unification of NI and Ireland, and there is now some popular support for just that:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2019/02/united-ireland-now-looks-increasing-possibility

This is also my perspective as a UK citizen that has been abroad so long that I only half count, but I could move to Scotland long enough to vote to remain in the EU.

EDITed to add for clarity: there is a small but real chance that a hard Brexit could be the motivation for a unified Ireland and an independent Scotland.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 12:54:01 PM by PDXTabs »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #309 on: June 05, 2019, 02:28:49 PM »
The rationales for Brexit are so emotional - no more rules and bureaucracy from Brussels! (As if the rules and bureaucracy from London are a different form of rules and bureaucracy that would change everyone’s lives for the better.)

Meanwhile in the big picture the British Empire which once spanned the globe, led world culture, and made English the language of world trade is about to become a minor European country occupying only the southern portion of an island, having lost the Scots, their status as a financial center, and apparently all ambition. Perhaps by the same logic Wales will secede too. Try to imagine how many people lost their lives trying to defeat or defend this empire which in the end folded itself like a bad hand at cards.

Lest we gloat, the U.S. will be the next victim of divide-and-conquer.

How crafty of the Russians to use our own inventions against us.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #310 on: June 06, 2019, 07:57:08 AM »
Truthfully, UK lost its status as the leading world power in the 1960's when it became clear that Pound-sterling was not going to remain as the world's reserve currency. Brexit won't be helping.

The US could have been in a position to strike a grand trade deal with UK, but I just don't think Trump has the skills to assemble a team that could honestly accomplish this.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #311 on: June 06, 2019, 09:17:24 AM »

To me, this is one of the fascinating things about Brexit.   The Good Friday Agreement prohibits a hard border between Northern Ireland and EU member Ireland.

It doesn't.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: June 06, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »
Truthfully, UK lost its status as the leading world power in the 1960's when it became clear that Pound-sterling was not going to remain as the world's reserve currency. Brexit won't be helping.

The US could have been in a position to strike a grand trade deal with UK, but I just don't think Trump has the skills to assemble a team that could honestly accomplish this.

Wales and England could join as the 51st and 52nd state.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #313 on: June 11, 2019, 08:35:21 AM »
Britain is popular here, but I cannot imagine Wales being desirable when people realize that they have this whole other distinct language.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: June 20, 2019, 12:06:02 PM »
Surely by now, junioroldtimer must be getting close to a break even point?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: June 20, 2019, 01:04:15 PM »
Surely by now, junioroldtimer must be getting close to a break even point?

Hahahah, no.

Let's update!

junioroldtimer sold 892.949 shares on February 7th at $67.59 each, converting $60,354.43 into cash.

On June 19 the closing price was $72.264, meaning that he had cost himself $4,509.39 after ~4 months of trying to time the market, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid on 3/21 plus $236.36 dividends not paid on 6/17 totals $5,079.36.  He's literally farther behind today than at any point since making the decision to bail on the markets back in February.

He's had a couple of chances to get back in with less than $1000 in losses, but so far there hasn't been a single moment when he could have broken even on his attempt at market timing.  He needs about an 8% drop in the index to end up back where he started.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »
Are you suggesting that the top was not in?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: June 20, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »
Any time I think I'm smart enough to time the market, I find the graph below very helpful.  If following my own logic/insight, I would have sold during a LOT of world events that seemed like they would tank the market, but in fact had no effect at all:

Can someone explain the SNL crisis between 1987-1991 to me? Did a popular cast member leave?

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #318 on: June 20, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »

Can someone explain the SNL crisis between 1987-1991 to me? Did a popular cast member leave?

Savings & Loan crisis

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: June 20, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »

Savings & Loan crisis

I prefer if it were a Saturday Night Live crisis.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: June 20, 2019, 01:32:17 PM »

I prefer if it were a Saturday Night Live crisis.

Well the prime years were 1980-1985, so I guess it kind of coincides for you.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #321 on: June 20, 2019, 01:34:36 PM »

Oh sure, that would have been a great investment.  And to give another example, my parents had a mortgage in the 80's with interest rates in the 16% range, and with a mortgage that high, it makes sense to pay it down.  But nowadays, interest rates are low so stocks make the most sense.
My parents had a ridiculously high interest mortgage on a house they couldn't sell in the early 80's.  My super rich CEO uncle famously told my dad that we would never see mortgages below 12% again.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #322 on: July 24, 2019, 02:24:41 PM »
We need an update in lieu of Sol...

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #323 on: July 24, 2019, 02:33:27 PM »
I'll give it my best shot...

junioroldtimer sold 892.949 shares on February 7th at $67.59 each, converting $60,354.43 into cash.

On Feb 14 the closing price was $68.85, meaning that he had cost himself $1,125.11 after one week of trying to time the market.
On Feb 22 the closing price was $69.98, meaning that he had cost himself $1,866.26 after two weeks of trying to time the market.
On Mar 01 the closing price was $70.28, meaning that he had cost himself $2,402.03 after three weeks of trying to time the market.
On Mar 08 the closing price was $68.62, meaning that he had cost himself $919.73 after four weeks of trying to time the market.
On Mar 15 the closing price was $70.56, meaning that he had cost himself $2,652.05 after five weeks of trying to time the market.
On Mar 22 the closing price was $69.49, meaning that he had cost himself $1,696.60 after six weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $2,030.21.
On Mar 29 the closing price was $70.43, meaning that he had cost himself $2,535.97 after seven weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $2,869.58.
On Apr 05 the closing price was $71.94, meaning that he had cost himself $3,884.32 after eight weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $4,217.94.
On Apr 12 the closing price was $72.35, meaning that he had cost himself $4,250.43 after nine weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $4,584.04.
On Apr 19 the closing price was $72.16, meaning that he had cost himself $4,080.77 after ten weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $4412.38.
On Apr 26 the closing price was $73.09, meaning that he had cost himself $4,911.21 after eleven weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $5,244.82.
On Jul 24 the closing price was $74.55, meaning that he had cost himself $6,214.93 after twenty three weeks, plus $569.97 in dividends not paid is $6,784.90

Friends don't let friends time the market.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »
Or maybe he's bought back in? Found an alternative investment? @junioroldtimer ?

Last Active: July 23, 2019, 06:39:14 PM

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #325 on: July 24, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »
Or maybe he's bought back in? Found an alternative investment? @junioroldtimer ?

Last Active: July 23, 2019, 06:39:14 PM
[/b]

So, I'm guessing he's quietly visiting this thread and taking the relentless humiliation on a regular basis?

lowroller4111

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #326 on: July 24, 2019, 08:22:11 PM »
never ever ever time the market... stay the course!  People sometimes are their own worst enemy when it comes to investing.   As JL Collins once said... the best investment performers are DEAD PEOPLE because they never touch their portfolio and just let it sit there.  The next best performers are those that FORGOT they even had a portfolio LOL!

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #327 on: July 24, 2019, 11:17:09 PM »
The problem with market timing is that the market takes six small steps forward for every single double size step back. Even if you correctly predict a crash and would have come out 20% ahead - with great timing on the bottom buy - , you will still spend twice as long watching the market creep up as you will in the duration of the eventual crash. Watching, waiting, wondering, as every month, for a year, the market crawls higher, questioning, second guessing, surely it was a bad call and it is time to capitulate, it has been two years, two and a half, you give up and buy back. Finally 3 years later a small crash gives you a lower entry point. It is the protracted waiting wrongness that will psyche people out even if they would have been right, coupled with the knowledge that they would be lucky to have as high as a 50% chance of ever being right.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #328 on: July 25, 2019, 08:21:30 AM »
I wonder why stop loss orders and protective puts are not as popular as jumping in and out of the markets in response to media reports? An inability to hold two conflicting thoughts at once?

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #329 on: July 26, 2019, 07:08:08 AM »
So, I'm guessing he's quietly visiting this thread and taking the relentless humiliation on a regular basis?

Yuck, I hope not! We all make mistakes, and it's far better to learn from them and move on, than to feel constantly humiliated. I've certainly made much bigger ones than the ~$6800 one here.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2019, 08:21:29 AM »

Yuck, I hope not! We all make mistakes, and it's far better to learn from them and move on, than to feel constantly humiliated. I've certainly made much bigger ones than the ~$6800 one here.

me too.

I bought Lehman bros.
no way would they crash....... ooops.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2019, 09:32:18 AM »

me too.

I bought Lehman bros.

Part of the reason I never, ever, ever try to stock pick.  Boneheaded moves like that are exactly my wheelhouse.  Haha.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #332 on: July 26, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »

me too.

I bought Lehman bros.

Part of the reason I never, ever, ever try to stock pick.  Boneheaded moves like that are exactly my wheelhouse.  Haha.

to make it worse I actually was going to invest that money in a stock that tripled from 2006 to 2009 but I took the advice of Merrill and bought 12k of lehman instead. that 12k and dividends in my initial choice would be worth about 70K today instead I got nothing.... sigh...

thats why I now invest in vanguard instead..

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: July 26, 2019, 06:35:54 PM »

me too.

I bought Lehman bros.

to make it worse I actually was going to invest that money in a stock that tripled from 2006 to 2009 but I took the advice of Merrill and bought 12k of lehman instead. that 12k and dividends in my initial choice would be worth about 70K today instead I got nothing.... sigh...

thats why I now invest in vanguard instead..

That’s nothing, an old colleague of mine told me he inherited around 40k, not sure how long ago this was though.  He said he didn’t know what to do with it, so he put the whole thing in Apple stock.  The stock price took a huge dip almost immediately and he vowed to sell as soon as it went back up to the 40k, which he did.  ...and today that 40k would have been like 900k or something like that. 

cl_noll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #334 on: August 05, 2019, 06:36:44 PM »

I'll give it my best shot...

On Feb 14 the closing price was $68.85, meaning that he had cost himself $1,125.11 after one week of trying to time the market.
On Feb 22 the closing price was $69.98, meaning that he had cost himself $1,866.26 after two weeks of trying to time the market.
On Mar 01 the closing price was $70.28, meaning that he had cost himself $2,402.03 after three weeks of trying to time the market.
On Mar 08 the closing price was $68.62, meaning that he had cost himself $919.73 after four weeks of trying to time the market.
On Mar 15 the closing price was $70.56, meaning that he had cost himself $2,652.05 after five weeks of trying to time the market.
On Mar 22 the closing price was $69.49, meaning that he had cost himself $1,696.60 after six weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $2,030.21.
On Mar 29 the closing price was $70.43, meaning that he had cost himself $2,535.97 after seven weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $2,869.58.
On Apr 05 the closing price was $71.94, meaning that he had cost himself $3,884.32 after eight weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $4,217.94.
On Apr 12 the closing price was $72.35, meaning that he had cost himself $4,250.43 after nine weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $4,584.04.
On Apr 19 the closing price was $72.16, meaning that he had cost himself $4,080.77 after ten weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $4412.38.
On Apr 26 the closing price was $73.09, meaning that he had cost himself $4,911.21 after eleven weeks, plus $333.61 in dividends not paid is $5,244.82.
On Jul 24 the closing price was $74.55, meaning that he had cost himself $6,214.93 after twenty three weeks, plus $569.97 in dividends not paid is $6,784.90

Junior Old-timer nears the break even point!  WILL HE BE PROVEN RIGHT?

On Aug 05 the closing price was $70.62, meaning that he had cost himself $2,178.92 after twenty six weeks, plus $569.97 in dividends not paid is $2,748.89

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2019, 07:06:03 PM »

On Aug 05 the closing price was $70.62, meaning that he had cost himself $2,178.92 after twenty six weeks, plus $569.97 in dividends not paid is $2,748.89

I'm assuming he's kept that cash in a high yield savings, so it is definitely getting pretty close to break even.

nsmall

• Stubble
« Reply #336 on: August 05, 2019, 10:45:29 PM »
Junior Old-timer.  Its time to jump back in.   

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: August 07, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »
I had lunch with one of the perma-bears in the office today. He sees global ascendancy of China causing decreasing prices and labor costs, implying that there will be very little demand to propel growth forward for the next twenty years.

I told him that I'm 80% stocks, and he thought I was bearing some serious risk. I might be.

PatronWizard11

• Stubble
« Reply #338 on: August 14, 2019, 08:00:39 PM »
did you put your money into something else or sitting for the market to return to your break even price or go down further?

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #339 on: August 15, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »
The suspense is killing me

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #340 on: August 15, 2019, 01:30:41 PM »

I'm assuming he's kept that cash in a high yield savings, so it is definitely getting pretty close to break even.

All that stress & toil, only to 'merely' break even in the end.  Assuming he even CAN break even at this point.

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #341 on: August 15, 2019, 02:42:04 PM »

All that stress & toil, only to 'merely' break even in the end.  Assuming he even CAN break even at this point.
Assuming he realized capital gains when he first sold, he's possibly a lot further away from a break-even reentry point than where the market is now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:44:21 PM by ILikeDividends »

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #342 on: August 15, 2019, 03:48:55 PM »

The basis of selling shares was "Russia" and "Impeachment", if it dips below the sell price... it's because of luck, not correct predictions.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #343 on: August 15, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »

On Aug 15 the closing price was $70.64, meaning that he had cost himself $2,723.49 after twenty six weeks, plus $569.97 in dividends not paid is $3,293.46

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2019, 04:08:46 PM »

What happened to sol?

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #345 on: August 15, 2019, 04:29:22 PM »

What happened to sol?

He left the forum about a month ago and never came back

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: August 15, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »

What happened to sol?

He left the forum about a month ago and never came back

Just MIA, or was there a reason?

solon

• Handlebar Stache

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #348 on: August 15, 2019, 10:40:19 PM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/where-is-sol/

First they came for boarder42 and I didn’t speak up because I’m not aggressively paying down my mortgage...

Then they came for sol and I didn’t speak up because I didn’t have a vitamix...

Somebody is systematically taking out walruses.  If we don’t do something soon, nobody will be there to speak up for us

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #349 on: August 15, 2019, 11:15:05 PM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/where-is-sol/

First they came for boarder42 and I didn’t speak up because I’m not aggressively paying down my mortgage...

Then they came for sol and I didn’t speak up because I didn’t have a vitamix...

Somebody is systematically taking out walruses.  If we don’t do something soon, nobody will be there to speak up for us

Godwin and Niemöller saw what you did there.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:23:59 PM by markbike528CBX »