Author Topic: VTI only vs VGT + VTI + VXUS  (Read 860 times)

nkt0

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 191
VTI only vs VGT + VTI + VXUS
« on: August 24, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »
I'm currently holding 20% VGT + 50% VTI + 10% VXUS. But i'm considering moving to 80% VTI only. The other 20% is in a mix of cash, bonds, and REIT ETFs.

Thoughts? Advice?

Bernard

  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • *
  • Posts: 25
Re: VTI only vs VGT + VTI + VXUS
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
I hold VGT, VOO, and VTI on the Vanguard site, and of those, VGT is the winner, VOO, the follow-up, and VTI only gets 3rd place.

At the current market vibe, I'm a fan of taking in as much money as possible. Once the market gets super volatile, a correction possible, I'd probably take a more conservative approach.

caffeine

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 122
Re: VTI only vs VGT + VTI + VXUS
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »
Just curious, do you purchase the ETF's through Vanguard or a different broker? And do you manually rebalance?

nkt0

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 191
Re: VTI only vs VGT + VTI + VXUS
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »
Just curious, do you purchase the ETF's through Vanguard or a different broker? And do you manually rebalance?

I have a Vanguard account. I manually rebalance.

MustacheAndaHalf

  • Handlebar Stache
  • *****
  • Posts: 1692
Re: VTI only vs VGT + VTI + VXUS
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »
During 2008, the US Stock Market and REITs lost -37%, while the bond market gained +5%.  REITs shouldn't be included in your 20% bond allocation.

Andy R

  • Stubble
  • **
  • Posts: 206
Re: VTI only vs VGT + VTI + VXUS
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 11:28:31 PM »
What about a third options of VTI + VXUS which would lead you to the classic 3 fund portfolio