Author Topic: Vanguard makes 1,800 EFTs commission-free  (Read 3201 times)

Vyse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Friendship was the real treasure all along
Vanguard makes 1,800 EFTs commission-free
« on: July 02, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »
https://investornews.vanguard/coming-in-august-the-largest-commission-free-etf-lineup-offered-to-investors/

Pretty neat, but the number is a little daunting to look through. Anyone have any specific EFTs they are excited about? Personally I've been looking for something that would partially insulate me from the US market (not for the majority of my funds, of course).

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Vanguard makes 1,800 EFTs commission-free
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »
RSP would be nice and IJS is more value focused than VSS.

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »
I use SCHF (developed markets ex-US) and SCHE (emerging markets) for the international component of my AA.

These trade commission free at Schwab.  Don't know if anything comparable is offered by Vanguard, though I guess I'd be surprised if there wasn't.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:11:02 PM by ILikeDividends »

Kalergie

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 02:47:50 AM »
Does anyone know if Non-US people can make use of this at all?

koopafish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »
Does this mean that these ETFs are now cheaper than VTSAX?

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 09:22:42 AM »
Sweet! I'm not so excited for Vanguard so much as I hope this will migrate to other providers.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 01:43:17 PM »
I use SCHF (developed markets ex-US) and SCHE (emerging markets) for the international component of my AA.

These trade commission free at Schwab.  Don't know if anything comparable is offered by Vanguard, though I guess I'd be surprised if there wasn't.

VEA & VWO

10 year returns VS index.
VEA = +0.09%*
VWO = -0.11%

I prefer looking at the returns VS index instead of the expense ratio, because it accounts for 1. how well they are tracking the index, 2. the expense ratio, and 3. any securities lending income.

*VEA has actually outperformed it's index by 0.09% on average per year over the past 10 years. This is largely thanks to the securities lending income it brings in, and since Vanguard operates at cost they give this income back to the investors in the form of extra dividends.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 02:02:40 PM »

It might.  You need a $10,000 minimum to buy VTSAX, after that of course, adding additional money is free. 

If VTI was commission free, it would make the barrier to entry lower, and thus lower less expensive. 

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 06:02:52 AM »

VEA & VWO

10 year returns VS index.
VEA = +0.09%*
VWO = -0.11%

I prefer looking at the returns VS index instead of the expense ratio, because it accounts for 1. how well they are tracking the index, 2. the expense ratio, and 3. any securities lending income.

*VEA has actually outperformed it's index by 0.09% on average per year over the past 10 years. This is largely thanks to the securities lending income it brings in, and since Vanguard operates at cost they give this income back to the investors in the form of extra dividends.

Do you have a preference on the time period you look at for this?  Seems to vary pretty widely.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 04:21:18 AM »
It might.  You need a $10,000 minimum to buy VTSAX, after that of course, adding additional money is free. 

If VTI was commission free, it would make the barrier to entry lower, and thus lower less expensive.
You can only buy VTSAX at Vanguard, and with a Vanguard account buying VTI is commission free already.  All Vanguard ETFs are already commission free, but next month Vanguard will be offering many other ETFs at no cost as well.

I think this means that ITOT, with 0.03% expense ratio and 3451 stocks, becomes a better value than VTI, with 0.04% expense ratio and 3610 stocks.

I like having access to more ETFs at $0/trade, but it's a strange move for Vanguard.  John Bogle didn't like ETFs because holders of ETFs tend to buy and sell them more often.  And he's probably even less enthusiastic about people doing that for free, which will encourage it.  Plus funds like ITOT will cost $0/trade, and being cheaper than VTI, will probably receive more investment dollars going forward.

Maybe VTI will learn to get a bit leaner, and lower it's expense ratio to 0.03%?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!