Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3139460 times)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #9100 on: April 27, 2022, 07:10:01 AM »
Like you, I've started to suspect the top will never be in when that paycheck hits my 401K.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #9101 on: April 27, 2022, 10:39:26 AM »
Like you, I've started to suspect the top will never be in when that paycheck hits my 401K.
Correct. The top is always the day after you put money in.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #9102 on: April 28, 2022, 01:27:58 PM »
Can I make a special request that the top still be in through tomorrow and Friday? I have some money going into the market on those days.

Thanks!
Your request has been formally rejected.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9103 on: April 28, 2022, 02:08:53 PM »
The US economy contracted, markets went... up???

My 401k buy is also tomorrow.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #9104 on: April 28, 2022, 02:18:16 PM »

I think the theory is that now the Fed might not have to tighten as much as previously expected.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #9105 on: April 28, 2022, 02:26:07 PM »

My 401k buy is also tomorrow.

You obviously missed the fact that Thorstach loudly proclaimed that the TOP IS IN!!!
Fear is back, VIX above 15, XIV breaking down. SPY to follow, earnings will be a reality check.

Headed straight for all time highs...

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9106 on: April 28, 2022, 02:27:22 PM »

I think the theory is that now the Fed might not have to tighten as much as previously expected.

I think that Diane Swonk, Chief Economist at Grant-Thornton, had some interesting comments here. Basically, housing, consumer spending, and business investment is still strong. So it is hard to say too many bad things about the economy.

That is mirrored here:
"The negative GDP number is a surprise, but not a material one," Moody's Analytics chief economist Mark Zandi told CNN in an email. "The economy continues to grow strongly and at a pace that continues to bring down unemployment."
"This is noise; not signal," Pantheon Macroeconomics chief economist Ian Shepherdson wrote in a report. "The economy is not falling into recession."
"Although GDP fell in the first quarter, the US economy is not in recession. Underlying demand remains strong, and the labor market is in excellent shape," PNC chief economist Gus Faucher wrote in a report. "Growth will resume in the second quarter."
- CNN: The US economy contracted. Don't panic

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9107 on: April 28, 2022, 02:45:05 PM »
Can I make a special request that the top still be in through tomorrow and Friday? I have some money going into the market on those days.

Thanks!

God damn it.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #9108 on: April 28, 2022, 03:57:31 PM »

Thanks!

God damn it.

Fingers crossed that your money goes in at the end of the day on Friday?  Now that Amazon has posted disappointing revenue growth (by shrinking), there should be a nice dip to finish off a hair-raising roller coaster week...

Shares of Amazon (AMZN) dropped after the company revealed a revenue forecast that missed analyst estimates as consumers curb online spending in the face of economic uncertainty and a return to in-person activities. The company also reported a loss on its investment in electric-vehicle maker Rivian Automotive.
Revenue: $116.4 billion vs. $116.43 billion expected
Earnings per share: $7.56 per share vs. $8.40 per share expected

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9109 on: April 28, 2022, 04:10:08 PM »

Thanks!

God damn it.

Fingers crossed that your money goes in at the end of the day on Friday?  Now that Amazon has posted disappointing revenue growth (by shrinking), there should be a nice dip to finish off a hair-raising roller coaster week...

Shares of Amazon (AMZN) dropped after the company revealed a revenue forecast that missed analyst estimates as consumers curb online spending in the face of economic uncertainty and a return to in-person activities. The company also reported a loss on its investment in electric-vehicle maker Rivian Automotive.

My 401(k) purchase does happen tomorrow, but I'm not stressing about it. The "God damn it" was just for lols.

The market's been whipsawing all year. I wouldn't be surprised if the market went down again tomorrow or went up another 2%. I don't need that money for several more years and I'm prepared for things to be crazy in the short term.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9110 on: April 28, 2022, 05:13:01 PM »

Thanks!

God damn it.

My 401(k) purchase does happen tomorrow, but I'm not stressing about it. The "God damn it" was just for lols.

The market's been whipsawing all year. I wouldn't be surprised if the market went down again tomorrow or went up another 2%. I don't need that money for several more years and I'm prepared for things to be crazy in the short term.
Maybe you should just dollar cost average over 5 days...

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9111 on: April 28, 2022, 07:10:11 PM »

Thanks!

God damn it.

Maybe you should just dollar cost average over 5 days...

I like it. I could potentially get fractions more of a share. Every little bit counts.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9112 on: April 29, 2022, 11:37:22 AM »
Only amateurs DCA over the days of the week, what about over hours of the day too??

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9113 on: April 29, 2022, 12:20:46 PM »
I can’t ☹️ All my investments are mutual funds.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9114 on: April 29, 2022, 01:42:26 PM »
I brazenly ignored the fact that Top Is In! over lunch, could have saved myself about $25 on the price of some shiny, new shares of $AVUV.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9115 on: April 29, 2022, 02:03:01 PM »
I brazenly ignored the fact that Top Is In! over lunch, could have saved myself about $25 on the price of some shiny, new shares of $AVUV.

The Top is in over lunch, breakfast and dinner!

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9116 on: April 30, 2022, 03:43:25 AM »
For once my 401k buy was at a discount.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9117 on: April 30, 2022, 05:30:58 AM »

Best discount of the year so far. The Google machine says the S&P 500 is down 13.8% year to date.

Top is in.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9118 on: April 30, 2022, 05:37:41 AM »

Best discount of the year so far. The Google machine says the S&P 500 is down 13.8% year to date.

Top is in.

Worst discount of the year remaining. The S&P 500 has 100% left to fall.

Top is in.

shureShote

• Stubble
« Reply #9119 on: May 03, 2022, 04:39:08 PM »
Figured this thread would wander it’s way to the bottom, which is weird since the top is still in, even from down here.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #9120 on: May 03, 2022, 05:27:13 PM »

Top is in.

If the S&P500 falls 100%, I'm going to buy BIG TIME!!!!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #9121 on: May 04, 2022, 03:02:58 PM »

Top is in.

If the S&P500 falls 100%, I'm going to buy BIG TIME!!!!

I'll put both of my remaining dollars in.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9122 on: May 04, 2022, 03:43:34 PM »
S&P up 3% today?  Holy smokes, I thought the top was in!!!!!!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9123 on: May 04, 2022, 04:39:20 PM »

The fed raised rates 0.5%, which makes a recession more likely, which makes it more likely the fed will cut rates, which makes stocks more valuable, which means a recession less likely, which makes it more likely the fed will raise rates, which makes a recession more likely .....

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9124 on: May 04, 2022, 04:42:25 PM »

The fed raised rates 0.5%, which makes a recession more likely, which makes it more likely the fed will cut rates, which makes stocks more valuable, which means a recession less likely, which makes it more likely the fed will raise rates, which makes a recession more likely .....

Some people think that the market went up because they ruled out any 0.75% rises.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9125 on: May 04, 2022, 06:19:00 PM »
Dead cat bounce!  It's there to fool people who forgot we're still down YTD, so the top is still in.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/deadcatbounce.asp

shureShote

• Stubble
« Reply #9126 on: May 04, 2022, 08:02:20 PM »

Sounds like you are describing some sort of periodic function, so I guess Fourier top is in.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9127 on: May 04, 2022, 08:58:32 PM »

Sounds like you are describing some sort of periodic function, so I guess Fourier top is in.
Could be a Taylor (stock] series too.

shureShote

• Stubble
« Reply #9128 on: May 04, 2022, 09:13:59 PM »

Could be a Taylor (stock] series too.

We should expand around that..

Since top is in, we at least know the sign of the first derivative.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9129 on: May 05, 2022, 06:30:14 AM »

Some people think that the market went up because they ruled out any 0.75% rises.

I think it's because the QT announcement was a 3 month gradual path to $95B/mo. Clearly the Fed believes the inflation top might be in, so they're acting slowly.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9130 on: May 05, 2022, 08:57:48 AM »
The "just kidding" top is in!

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9131 on: May 05, 2022, 09:00:58 AM »

I don't get this panicking over increasing rates. If any business can't survive because it costs 1/2 percent more to borrow money then it doesn't deserve to stay in business anyway!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9132 on: May 05, 2022, 10:17:33 AM »

I don't get this panicking over increasing rates. If any business can't survive because it costs 1/2 percent more to borrow money then it doesn't deserve to stay in business anyway!

Agreed, the whole point of capitalism is churn.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9133 on: May 05, 2022, 11:23:35 AM »

Unfortunately, the stock market is FULL of companies with low-single-digit ROA's. And people are starting to wonder how they remain profitable when their ROA is less than the interest rates on the loans they're going to have to take in the future.

Low-ROA top was in.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9134 on: May 05, 2022, 11:38:30 AM »
Unfortunately, the stock market is FULL of companies with low-single-digit ROA's. And people are starting to wonder how they remain profitable when their ROA is less than the interest rates on the loans they're going to have to take in the future.

Low-ROA top was in.

ops, forgot which thread I was in;

Interest rate top is in!! 1%! Only going down from here!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 01:31:15 PM by Scandium »

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #9135 on: May 05, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »
This is fine.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9136 on: May 05, 2022, 01:48:53 PM »
This is fine.
I'm sure there were some puckered buttholes today!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #9137 on: May 05, 2022, 02:53:28 PM »
This is fine.

Mine included.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9138 on: May 05, 2022, 03:12:59 PM »
This is fine.

Mine included.
Who doesn't enjoy a nice 5% haircut in one day? Lol

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #9139 on: May 05, 2022, 03:16:12 PM »
I found the top (of North America):

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9140 on: May 06, 2022, 07:23:42 AM »
This is fine.

Mine included.
Just reimburse yourself with the diamonds found in your undies.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9141 on: May 06, 2022, 07:31:56 AM »
This is fine.

Mine included.
Just reimburse yourself with the diamonds found in your undies.
Diamond hands? No, Diamond shorts. Top is in!

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9142 on: May 06, 2022, 10:30:41 AM »
Diamond hands?

Did someone say Diamond Hands? I just hope that the market is still down next Friday for my 401k buy. HODL.

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
« Reply #9143 on: May 06, 2022, 10:58:23 AM »
Diamond hands?

Did someone say Diamond Hands? I just hope that the market is still down next Friday for my 401k buy. HODL.
No way. I hear by commit heresy by saying "Bottom is in!"

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9144 on: May 06, 2022, 11:02:40 AM »
Diamond hands?

No way. I hear by commit heresy by saying "Bottom is in!"

I knew that I would get that, and I deserve it.

thorstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9145 on: May 06, 2022, 06:37:18 PM »
Recession is in

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #9146 on: May 06, 2022, 07:49:26 PM »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9147 on: May 06, 2022, 07:56:33 PM »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9148 on: May 08, 2022, 02:34:04 AM »
Diamond hands?

Retail investor NW : top is in.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #9149 on: May 08, 2022, 08:55:37 PM »
Fear is back, VIX above 15, XIV breaking down. SPY to follow, earnings will be a reality check.

Recession is in

Random Thorstach visit top is in!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!