Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3139019 times)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #8800 on: January 07, 2022, 07:58:43 AM »
Round of lamb

Ford cars named after horses

to Lamborghinis named after bulls (my favourite was always the Countach https://www.lamborghini.com/en-en/news/marcello-gandini-tells-the-story-behind-the-name-countach)

to a military truck Gama Goat.

I see what you did there, Top is in for dragoncar's hunger cravings?  Although, I don't think dragoncar eats cars!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #8801 on: January 07, 2022, 05:37:21 PM »
Negative growth is still counts as growth for Growth Stocks right??

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #8802 on: January 07, 2022, 05:43:29 PM »
|Absolutely|

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8803 on: January 07, 2022, 06:02:52 PM »
|Absolutely|
That's how you put a positive spin on something!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8804 on: January 07, 2022, 06:05:32 PM »
One week into 2022, the market is on track to decline 75% by the end of the year.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8805 on: January 07, 2022, 06:47:30 PM »
One week into 2022, the market is on track to decline 75% by the end of the year.

I’m seeing a 2% decline this week. Wouldn’t that put us at a 77% decline for the year?

S&P 500 at 1,600 by Christmas 2022. I’m calling it now.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8806 on: January 08, 2022, 05:04:21 AM »

I’m seeing a 2% decline this week. Wouldn’t that put us at a 77% decline for the year?

S&P 500 at 1600 should be an accumulator's dream. I'd be happy with 3600 right now. Don't tease me like that!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8807 on: January 08, 2022, 07:00:19 PM »

S&P 500 at 1600 should be an accumulator's dream. I'd be happy with 3600 right now. Don't tease me like that!

Investing on leverage top?

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8808 on: January 09, 2022, 03:46:13 AM »

Wishful thinking top. I just want to see a correction so I can get more shares with my regular taxable and 401(k) purchases.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8809 on: January 09, 2022, 04:43:36 AM »

Wishful thinking top. I just want to see a correction so I can get more shares with my regular taxable and 401(k) purchases.

If housing went through a correction in a year or two - I wouldn't be very upset.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8810 on: January 10, 2022, 03:42:24 PM »
Does @thorstach work for the Wall Street Journal now? And is his name Karen?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #8811 on: January 10, 2022, 04:19:25 PM »
Does @thorstach work for the Wall Street Journal now? And is his name Karen?
Karen would like to talk to the Manager about the economy.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8812 on: January 10, 2022, 09:53:46 PM »

If housing went through a correction in a year or two - I wouldn't be very upset.

Yeah, seriously.  I’ve been trying to get a place for years but the market just keeps outpacing what I can earn.  Top is happening? 

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8813 on: January 18, 2022, 06:55:43 PM »
Mighty quiet around here....

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #8814 on: January 18, 2022, 07:15:29 PM »

I'm just in shock and awe at thorstach's bold and amazing prediction.  I mean, how did he know that the Top Would Be In one thousand, seven hundred, forty seven days in advance?  And back when the S&P was at an adjusted price of 2,340.75?

I mean, just ... just ... wow!  What you're hearing over here is just stunned silence at the bold call.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8815 on: January 19, 2022, 07:40:23 AM »
60% of the time it works every time.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8816 on: January 19, 2022, 08:09:15 AM »
Ex-employer asked me to close down my 401K and roll it over to an IRA.   The fees were high so I didn't mind.  Should have done it 3 years ago when I retired but just didn't get around to it.

Coincidentally the money was pulled out at very near the tippy top.  The check is on its way to Vanguard.  I'm hoping for a big dip that will last a day past the money being put back into S&P 500 stock.   

So, thanks Thorstache for predicting this top!   I'm hoping to turn $198K into $300K -- or at least avoid turning it into $100K.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8817 on: January 19, 2022, 08:54:37 AM »
I am sick of the Top being in. Can't we just get some gains? Jeez.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8818 on: January 19, 2022, 11:21:39 AM »

Ye of little faith!

Behold, for the Top is all that shall remain!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8819 on: January 19, 2022, 02:14:51 PM »

I hope this dips lasts through at least tomorrow. I have a 401(k) contribution about to happen.

Accumulators be like:

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8820 on: January 19, 2022, 04:04:13 PM »
The top is so in we're down to prices not seen in seven weeks.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8821 on: January 19, 2022, 04:15:49 PM »

I'm glad I was able to kick start this thread again.  It's one of my favorites.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8822 on: January 20, 2022, 01:44:57 PM »
Today's reversal does not bode well for the rest of this year imo.

I don't know how many people still remember the GFC and how that unfoldered, but I do quite vividly. I remember January 2008 very well... there was one particular session where the market just dropped over 5% having felt very skittish all month.   I remember that day very well and thinking to myself "we're in real trouble here" after market closed.   

I'm getting the similar sort of vibes today.  The market is already deeply oversold and set up for a good rally. If today's bounce has been completely faded then it I think we could be headed for some real trouble again.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8823 on: January 20, 2022, 01:48:34 PM »

I don't know how many people still remember the GFC and how that unfoldered, but I do quite vividly. I remember January 2008 very well... there was one particular session where the market just dropped over 5% having felt very skittish all month.   I remember that day very well and thinking to myself "we're in real trouble here" after market closed.   

I'm getting the similar sort of vibes today.  The market is already deeply oversold and set up for a good rally. If today's bounce has been completely faded then it I think we could be headed for some real trouble again.

I remember that I started investing in 2007 . . . and then over 2008 watching my investments drop about 50% of their value.  Shit happens, stock goes up and down, time in the market is better than timing the market.  And bonds have a place in a portfolio - it's when things tank . . . which haven't happened in a long while, but will happen again at some point.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8824 on: January 20, 2022, 02:20:58 PM »

I remember that I started investing in 2007 . . . and then over 2008 watching my investments drop about 50% of their value.  Shit happens, stock goes up and down, time in the market is better than timing the market.  And bonds have a place in a portfolio - it's when things tank . . . which haven't happened in a long while, but will happen again at some point.

You feel differently about it depending what stage of life you are at.

When you have a year's worth of savings in the market then you have very little skin in the game and a crash is the best thing that can happen for you., but when you have a lifetime's worth of savings in the market then you are a little less gungho about it.

Bond haven't been acting as the portfolio shock absorbers in the last month and have been tanking along with stocks.  The danger, as we have discussed in various other threads, is the threat of a crisis that has been caused as a consequence of the the actions that were taken to get us past the last crisis - namely, an inflationary recession.  That changes the game for the role of bonds in the supposedly "balanced" portfolio.  If the market tanks because of inflation then bonds are not going to be the saviour they are in a deflationary downturn.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8825 on: January 20, 2022, 02:34:51 PM »
I have no real concerns about inflation tanking the stock market.

If prices of equities drop, I'll continue to rebalance and buy more of them.  If prices go up, then I'll continue to rebalance and buy more bonds.  If the market completely tanks (both stocks and bonds) then I'll reduce consumption as much as possible . . . and worse comes to worse coudl sell my home (fully paid off and worth about 50% of the total amount I've got invested.)

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8826 on: January 20, 2022, 02:37:56 PM »
Bond haven't been acting as the portfolio shock absorbers in the last month and have been tanking along with stocks.

I would say bonds haven’t performed for the last several years!  But I do understand they are supposed to move opposite of stocks, and I haven’t looked up the explicit data on that.  Bonds have been performing so badly that I dumped my bond funds a few years ago.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8827 on: January 20, 2022, 02:46:04 PM »
Guys, the top is in. I'm serious. Of course the stock market is going down. You've known this for almost five years now.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8828 on: January 20, 2022, 02:48:40 PM »
Bond haven't been acting as the portfolio shock absorbers in the last month and have been tanking along with stocks.

I would say bonds haven’t performed for the last several years!  But I do understand they are supposed to move opposite of stocks, and I haven’t looked up the explicit data on that.  Bonds have been performing so badly that I dumped my bond funds a few years ago.

I think bonds work better than bond funds as shock absorbers -- because you don't have to sell the bonds, you can just collect the interest.   In a bond fund, if enough people panic, bonds get sold that shouldn't have been just to raise the cash.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8829 on: January 20, 2022, 02:55:28 PM »
Guys, the top is in. I'm serious. Of course the stock market is going down. You've known this for almost five years now.

Agreed. Old news move along

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8830 on: January 20, 2022, 02:57:08 PM »

It's just not true. Historically bonds do not offer any real assurance of moving opposite stocks.

The correlation between stocks and bonds is one of the most
important inputs to the asset allocation decision. However,
it is difficult to estimate reliably, and can change drastically
with macroeconomic conditions.1 From 1927 to 2012, the
correlation between the S&P 500 and long-term Treasuries
– as calculated by calendar year based on monthly data – has
changed sign 29 times, and has ranged from −93% to +86%.
The full sample average of the realized correlation is 10%.
However, there is a substantial variation around this mean:
The correlation estimates vary in the range of −93% to +86%
with a standard deviation of 40%. Also, the correlation was
below −50% in seven years, and above +50% in 14 years,
which indicates a greater tendency for the correlation to
“spike” up versus going down. It is also remarkable that the
persistently positive estimates of this correlation in the 1970s
and 1980s gave way to persistently negative values since the
mid-1990s. This, however, is not just a current phenomenon.
Negative correlations were observed during the 1950s as well
as during the Great Depression, and in general during periods
when the business cycle dominated asset returns.
- PIMCO: The Stock-Bond Correlation

thorstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8831 on: January 20, 2022, 02:59:36 PM »
Top is in. Stagflation is in.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #8832 on: January 20, 2022, 03:01:22 PM »

HE LIVES

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8833 on: January 20, 2022, 03:16:11 PM »
The short term relationship between stocks and bonds is a fairly complicated on. Over the longer term both asset classes thrive in disinflationary environments. Bonds also do even better in outright deflationary environment whereas stocks don’t.

Both tend to struggle in inflationary environments whilst stocks can tolerate mild inflation, but both get clobbered in highly inflationary environment (don’t believe those those say that German stocks thrived during hyperinflation, they are full of shit).

But despite whatever the prevailing macroeconomic environment, bonds do have a tendency to act as a short term flight to a safer asset when the riskier asset gets sold off hard. So even if we are entering a stagflation period, and both stocks and bonds struggle, there will be times when the stock market sells off hard and the bond market will get a little bump up as the least worst short term option.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8834 on: January 20, 2022, 03:20:38 PM »

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8835 on: January 20, 2022, 03:28:53 PM »

OMFG does this mean we're going to be up another 100% or so?

Your last top call worked out really well for me so I'm psyched to hear another one!

-W

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8836 on: January 20, 2022, 03:31:00 PM »

Your last top call worked out really well for me so I'm psyched to hear another one!

-W

NO!!!   NO!!!   NO!!!

Wait until the end of the week for the new top!

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8837 on: January 20, 2022, 03:36:47 PM »
Bonds also do even better in outright deflationary environment whereas stocks don’t.

You won't get any argument from me there. But will we ever see that in our lifetimes? I don't think so.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8838 on: January 20, 2022, 03:37:55 PM »

-W

Right? A couple more of these and I can retire.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #8839 on: January 20, 2022, 03:45:49 PM »

My hero!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #8840 on: January 20, 2022, 03:55:27 PM »

You feel differently about it depending what stage of life you are at.

When you have a year's worth of savings in the market then you have very little skin in the game and a crash is the best thing that can happen for you., but when you have a lifetime's worth of savings in the market then you are a little less gungho about it.

Bond haven't been acting as the portfolio shock absorbers in the last month and have been tanking along with stocks.  The danger, as we have discussed in various other threads, is the threat of a crisis that has been caused as a consequence of the the actions that were taken to get us past the last crisis - namely, an inflationary recession.  That changes the game for the role of bonds in the supposedly "balanced" portfolio.  If the market tanks because of inflation then bonds are not going to be the saviour they are in a deflationary downturn.
So what you are saying is buy buy buy… amiright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #8841 on: January 20, 2022, 03:58:01 PM »

Wish you would've told me that the top was in at 4818.62 instead of 4482.73...

Wish you would've told me when stagflation was going to start so I could've loaded up on real assets when they were cheaper...

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8842 on: January 20, 2022, 03:58:57 PM »
Bonds also do even better in outright deflationary environment whereas stocks don’t.

You won't get any argument from me there. But will we ever see that in our lifetimes? I don't think so.

Yeah unlikely whilst we have a central bank hellbent on destroying the purchasing power of the currency in your pocket.

The latest figure from the AAII sentiment survey are deeply bearish to the levels that are usually a strong contrarian indicator. However this feels like more than just a technical pullback to me. If my fears are unfounded then we should rally to new highs from here.. but it could also lead into a waterfall decline if the current levels do not hold.

Real wages are now declining as inflation squeezes living costs, and while the stock market is not the economic, it is not a good recipe when your economy is 70% driven by consumption.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8843 on: January 20, 2022, 04:34:52 PM »

Yeah unlikely whilst we have a central bank hellbent on destroying the purchasing power of the currency in your pocket.

I think that it is generally accepted that the deflation during the great depression was a VeryBadThing™. So yea, they'll err on the side of inflation before deflation and I can't blame them.

DaTrill

• Bristles
« Reply #8844 on: January 20, 2022, 06:48:36 PM »

Same.  Sold riskiest positions for the last hour of trading, will de-risk the portfolio tomorrow.  Lost more in the last week than I will make all year and FIRE this year.  Will be market neutral as much as I can without major tax hit.  I'm old enough to also have been around for 2001 and remember someone shockingly saying "The Nasdaq is below 4,000!!!" Two years later, around 1,000.  These selloffs can take a long time and this one will probably be the same.  Normally leverage is what tanks a market and leverage is not excessive in the stock markets but is out of control in crypto/NFT markets.       

DaTrill

• Bristles
« Reply #8845 on: January 20, 2022, 06:49:39 PM »
I have no real concerns about inflation tanking the stock market.

If prices of equities drop, I'll continue to rebalance and buy more of them.  If prices go up, then I'll continue to rebalance and buy more bonds.  If the market completely tanks (both stocks and bonds) then I'll reduce consumption as much as possible . . . and worse comes to worse coudl sell my home (fully paid off and worth about 50% of the total amount I've got invested.)

Famous last words. 

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #8846 on: January 20, 2022, 07:43:55 PM »

Damn, tomorrow's payday and I have my TSP deposit going in.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8847 on: January 21, 2022, 02:46:47 AM »
Small cap growth is getting hammered. This is reflected in the Nasdaq composite that has been the weakest of the main indexes. In fact it is trading below its 200dma which presents a big problem for the bull market.

The VBK Vanguard Small-Cap Growth ETF is -20% from its 52 week high just a couple of months ago, and -14% from its level a year ago.

But by contrast the value plays have held up really well..

VSPVX Vanguard S&P 500 Value Index Fund is only in a -7% drawdown and still up 16% over 1yr, and the value-packed FTSE100 (current CAPE 16) is currently trading only a couple of % down from multi-year highs, so beneath the surface there is a lot going on.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8848 on: January 21, 2022, 02:48:46 AM »

I hope this dips lasts through at least tomorrow. I have a 401(k) contribution about to happen.

Accumulators be like:

Retired folks be like:

TURN IT OFF!!! TURN IT OFF!!!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8849 on: January 21, 2022, 03:19:48 AM »

Accumulators be like:

Retired folks be like:

TURN IT OFF!!! TURN IT OFF!!!

That's right. We're taking Uncle Rico's time machine back in time to October of 2021.