Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3138995 times)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #8050 on: August 02, 2021, 08:02:53 PM »
This thread is all fun and games but I'm legit spooked now that a wild thorstach appeared.  If his past announcements are any indication we need to strap in for the rocket ride we are about to endure.  Thorstach saying the top is in means surely it can go up another 10-20%.

My FIRE withdrawal rate is going to be lower than my Vanguard expense ratios.

So, each year you will pay Vanguard more than you pay yourself? I need to think about that.
I don't.   This is a clear MPP if I've ever seen one.  :-)

Now if you were talking Edward Jones, then of course you'll be paying them more than yourself. and NOT an MPP.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #8051 on: August 02, 2021, 11:41:37 PM »
I called it! I called the Top call! I think I need a promotion. Assistant Prophet? Assistant to the Prophet? Prophet of the Prophet?  A raise is also in order... maybe shares in an inverse leveraged SP500 ETF, since Top is in.

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8052 on: August 03, 2021, 01:46:43 AM »
Top is in

I've been coming back to this thread wondering if we'd ever get another sighting. I gave up.... and I completely lost my shit!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8053 on: August 03, 2021, 04:07:57 AM »
Sounds like a bogleheads thread.  I'm under 0.04% WR, but is it really safe? I mean really safe, or should I continue working and amassing more money?

You must keep working. If you can't afford to buy a new Audi and iPhone Pro every year, eat out every day, live in a 3000 square foot McMansion with only one other person that is kept at 72F at all times with an acre of grass to mow, a 40' diesel pusher RV that tows your Ford F-150 when you aren't in your McMansion, and a boat what is the point of even having all that money? You couldn't possibly find something meaningful to do with your time if you weren't maintaining all your stuff.

None of that matters now. We have official confirmation the top is in.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8054 on: August 03, 2021, 06:17:17 AM »
clearly if you are under 65 years old, you don't have enough saved. Not sure why that math is so mind bogleing.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8055 on: August 03, 2021, 06:43:56 AM »
clearly if you are under 65 years old, you don't have enough saved. Not sure why that math is so mind bogleing.

Savings top is never in.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8056 on: August 03, 2021, 10:37:52 AM »
I think it's Radagast's fault for posting a chart.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8057 on: August 03, 2021, 12:02:52 PM »
Sounds like a bogleheads thread.  I'm under 0.04% WR, but is it really safe? I mean really safe, or should I continue working and amassing more money?

You must keep working. If you can't afford to buy a new Audi and iPhone Pro every year, eat out every day, live in a 3000 square foot McMansion with only one other person that is kept at 72F at all times with an acre of grass to mow, a 40' diesel pusher RV that tows your Ford F-150 when you aren't in your McMansion, and a boat what is the point of even having all that money? You couldn't possibly find something meaningful to do with your time if you weren't maintaining all your stuff.

More importantly, could you still afford it all if the US went into the worst financial crisis in its history, then an asteroid hit the earth vaporizing Australia and scattering a highly contagious subterranean platypus death virus. 

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8058 on: August 03, 2021, 12:35:39 PM »

More importantly, could you still afford it all if the US went into the worst financial crisis in its history, then an asteroid hit the earth vaporizing Australia and scattering a highly contagious subterranean platypus death virus.

Nope. Keep working just in case any other terrifying but unlikely situation occurs. Working more is the only thing you can do to stave off such a catastrophe.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8059 on: August 03, 2021, 12:54:07 PM »

Tell me more about this subterranean platypus death virus. Does it only kill subterranean platypodes? Because if so, I think my portfolio is resilient. But once it starts taking out platypi on the surface, then we're into here-there-be-dragons economic territory.

Also the various arguably correct plural forms of platypuses is a one joy even the top being in cannot take away from us all.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8060 on: August 03, 2021, 01:19:42 PM »

Tell me more about this subterranean platypus death virus. Does it only kill subterranean platypodes? Because if so, I think my portfolio is resilient. But once it starts taking out platypi on the surface, then we're into here-there-be-dragons economic territory.

Also the various arguably correct plural forms of platypuses is a one joy even the top being in cannot take away from us all.

We won't know until it happens, so your portfolio needs to be able to handle all possibilities.  You wouldn't want to invest only in platypi only to have platypuses or platypese take off instead. 

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8061 on: August 03, 2021, 01:25:17 PM »
You wouldn't want to invest only in platypi only to have platypuses or platypese take off instead.

Words to live by.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #8062 on: August 03, 2021, 02:10:00 PM »
S&P all time closing high top is in!

Again.:)

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8063 on: August 03, 2021, 03:32:08 PM »

My new goal for the month of august is to use platypodes in a social setting.
After that I will get Apple to add platypodes to their autocorrect dictionary.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8064 on: August 03, 2021, 03:50:30 PM »

Is thorstach using reverse psychology on the market?  If so, it's definitely working. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8065 on: August 03, 2021, 05:18:01 PM »

Is thorstach using reverse psychology on the market?  If so, it's definitely working.

Oh, that’s been proven, almost every post we got from The Great One was after or during the second consecutive day of over 1% S&P500 losses, only for it to rebound hard immediately after his post. 

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8066 on: August 03, 2021, 06:09:48 PM »
Maybe All-time High Friday is moving to Tuesday!

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #8067 on: August 03, 2021, 09:06:14 PM »

The platypus is a metaphor for whatever is keeping you down. Corporations are a platypus. The government is a platypus. Your teacher is a platypus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZM5bxoccc

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #8068 on: August 03, 2021, 10:22:27 PM »

The platypus is a metaphor for whatever is keeping you down. Corporations are a platypus. The government is a platypus. Your teacher is a platypus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZM5bxoccc

LOL. Thanks for that, Radagast.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8069 on: August 04, 2021, 12:35:03 AM »

Oh, that’s been proven, almost every post we got from The Great One was after or during the second consecutive day of over 1% S&P500 losses, only for it to rebound hard immediately after his post.

Historically speaking, what would be a superior strategy:

DCA $10k every month on the first or
keep the monthly $10k in cash and then lump sum your savings when thorstsche posts?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8070 on: August 04, 2021, 07:09:28 AM »

It will be back to All-time High Friday by Friday I predict. 

MyOtherBrotherDarryl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8071 on: August 04, 2021, 08:23:41 AM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:25:51 AM by MyOtherBrotherDarryl »

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8072 on: August 04, 2021, 08:48:17 AM »

keep the monthly $10k in cash and then lump sum your savings when thorstsche posts?

I’ve given this some thought. I can’t quite convince myself to invest on the whims of the profit though.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8073 on: August 04, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »

I’ve given this some thought. I can’t quite convince myself to invest on the whims of the profit though.

I thought pretty much everyone was doing?  You didn't think it was just just coincidence that the market goes up when the prophet speaks?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8074 on: August 04, 2021, 09:17:01 AM »

I thought pretty much everyone was doing?  You didn't think it was just just coincidence that the market goes up when the prophet speaks?

I assume the profit has access to insider info and is sharing it in the only legal way by saying the opposite…

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #8075 on: August 04, 2021, 10:26:13 AM »

I assume the profit has access to insider info and is sharing it in the only legal way by saying the opposite…

But what's driving him (her)? The profit motive or, ah, the prophet motive?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #8076 on: August 04, 2021, 09:44:35 PM »

My working theory is that anyone who can this acutely counter predict the market no longer has a profit motive and has therefor moved on to the higher calling of prophet… based on today’s chart it’s clear the top is in!

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8077 on: August 05, 2021, 06:06:00 AM »

My working theory is that anyone who can this acutely counter predict the market no longer has a profit motive and has therefor moved on to the higher calling of prophet… based on today’s chart it’s clear the top is in!
Maybe if we all keep quoting we can build a pyramid that can reach The Top!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8078 on: August 05, 2021, 06:49:22 AM »
Pyramid quote top was in.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8079 on: August 05, 2021, 11:58:38 AM »
And Ender came down to see the quote tower, which the children of man had built.

“Come, let us go down and there confuse their language, so that they may not understand one another's speech.”

And from there Ender dispersed their quotes over the face of all the forum.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #8080 on: August 05, 2021, 01:46:02 PM »

Pyramid quote top was not in.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #8081 on: August 05, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »

Pyramid quote top was not in.
@ender must be the @thorstach of pyramid quotes.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8082 on: August 05, 2021, 03:05:48 PM »
... maybe :D

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8083 on: August 05, 2021, 05:28:11 PM »
I see Goldman Sachs has predicted the S&P will climb from here.

So this must the "Goldman Sachs top"!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8084 on: August 05, 2021, 05:34:03 PM »
Happy All-time High Day! :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8085 on: August 05, 2021, 05:51:02 PM »
Happy All-time High Day! :)

Love it when I’m down in the morning and then come back here to learn the top is in

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8086 on: August 06, 2021, 08:08:50 AM »
I love the smell of TOP in the morning

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8087 on: August 06, 2021, 08:37:11 AM »

Aww you've jinxed it now.. Down by the end of the day!.. Hopefully I've fixed it..:)

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8088 on: August 06, 2021, 12:43:00 PM »

I hope you really enjoyed it today, because the top is in, you know.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8089 on: August 06, 2021, 02:11:15 PM »

It will be back to All-time High Friday by Friday I predict.

And you were right!.. I never doubted you.. ahem..:)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8090 on: August 06, 2021, 05:56:14 PM »
YES! All-time High Fridays are BAcK! Glad they only took one week off. :)

I just told my wife, "All-time High Friday!" with a big smile and she replied, "Aren't they all?" Hahahahaha.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 06:03:20 PM by Mr. Green »

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8091 on: August 07, 2021, 12:45:37 PM »
Really hate weekends as top can't be in.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8092 on: August 07, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »

Top was already in, so it remains in all weekend.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8093 on: August 07, 2021, 01:24:40 PM »

Yeah, but that assumes you can hold on to a Friday top through the weekend. On the other hand you never know what Monday brings so it might be doable. Maybe Friday was indeed the top. But hard to know for sure.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #8094 on: August 07, 2021, 01:58:03 PM »

Yeah, but that assumes you can hold on to a Friday top through the weekend. On the other hand you never know what Monday brings so it might be doable. Maybe Friday was indeed the top. But hard to know for sure.

Contact your physician if your Top remains in for greater than 24 hours.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8095 on: August 07, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »
Contact your physician if your Top remains in for greater than 24 hours.

Cheaper to drop paying your physician and just wait for the next top. Might be as early as next Friday even. Always wait a few days before contacting a professional unless something is clearly urgent.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8096 on: August 07, 2021, 07:19:44 PM »
I got a bad case of the the tops doc.  My entire portfolio is festering.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8097 on: August 07, 2021, 09:46:54 PM »
I got a FEVER! And the only thing that will fix it is more Top!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8098 on: August 08, 2021, 03:20:37 AM »

Really explore the space

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8099 on: August 08, 2021, 05:38:53 AM »

Really explore the space

Babies.. before the top is done here.. you'll all be wearing gold-plated diapers.