Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3139343 times)

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #7900 on: July 01, 2021, 11:07:33 PM »
20% real inflation makes it seem like portfolio is going up! Maybe the value of my dollars is just going down.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7901 on: July 02, 2021, 05:27:09 AM »
20% real inflation makes it seem like portfolio is going up! Maybe the value of my dollars is just going down.

ooooh I love this theory, inflation adjusted top was definitely in!

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7902 on: July 02, 2021, 07:42:33 AM »

Deflation = stimmy = market goes up
Inflation = devaluation of dollar = market goes up

it makes sense if you don't think about it

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #7903 on: July 02, 2021, 09:06:10 AM »

I can simplify further:

Imagine an entire culture and government that prioritizes consumerism and stock market growth above all other things, including the health of its population, internal and external peace and stability, quality of life, the environment, the national debt, babies having time to bond with their parents rather than paid caregivers, tax fairness, free markets, or the lives of certain categories of people like the elderly poor or the mentality ill. If you were stuck in such a dystopia, would you invest in their stock market? I would hope we could all figure this out.  I’m up $7,000 today.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #7904 on: July 02, 2021, 09:13:50 AM »

money in the mattress top is in!

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7905 on: July 02, 2021, 10:13:43 AM »

I can simplify further:

Imagine an entire culture and government that prioritizes consumerism and stock market growth above all other things, including the health of its population, internal and external peace and stability, quality of life, the environment, the national debt, babies having time to bond with their parents rather than paid caregivers, tax fairness, free markets, or the lives of certain categories of people like the elderly poor or the mentality ill. If you were stuck in such a dystopia, would you invest in their stock market? I would hope we could all figure this out.  I’m up $7,000 today.

In a thread of jokes, this was actually very profound.  Thanks.  This just means the top is in.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7906 on: July 02, 2021, 10:18:12 AM »

I can simplify further:

Fully agree.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7907 on: July 02, 2021, 10:31:47 AM »
I can simplify further:

The irony is that this is just an illusion.  In reality, prioritizing long-term stock market growth means prioritizing all the factors you mentioned.  If those implode, they will take the economy and the stock market with them.  But too many people seem to think of that view as the most nonsensical idea in this thread. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7908 on: July 02, 2021, 10:38:45 AM »
I can simplify further:

Best way for me and my children to stay wealthy is for pretty much everyone in this nation to be happy, making a decent living and treated fairly.   

Any other route risks the jacquerie.    They may or may not win in the long run, but there will be a lot of dead rich people before we find out either way.

The irony is that this is just an illusion.  In reality, prioritizing long-term stock market growth means prioritizing all the factors you mentioned.  If those implode, they will take the economy and the stock market with them.  But too many people seem to think of that view as the most nonsensical idea in this thread.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7909 on: July 02, 2021, 10:43:09 AM »
Best way for me and my children to stay wealthy is for pretty much everyone in this nation world to be happy, making a decent living and treated fairly.   

FTFY

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7910 on: July 02, 2021, 11:13:04 AM »
Best way for me and my children to stay wealthy is for pretty much everyone in this nation world to be happy, making a decent living and treated fairly.   

FTFY

Indeed you did!

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #7911 on: July 02, 2021, 11:34:58 AM »
If you were stuck in such a dystopia, would you invest in their stock market?

Hell yeah. How else am I going to afford health care and find a walled oasis to protect me from those who can't afford to?

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7912 on: July 02, 2021, 03:14:03 PM »
Top sin

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #7913 on: July 03, 2021, 06:30:33 PM »
Meet the new Top
Same as the old Top

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

The Who top is in

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #7914 on: July 04, 2021, 07:26:46 AM »
... If you were stuck in such a dystopia, would you invest in their stock market? I would hope we could all figure this out.
Maybe WE would, but what percentage of the population would?  National ad campaigns with widely respected minds (like the Kardashians and other social media savants) may convince the average Joe.

...Any other route risks the jacquerie.    They may or may not win in the long run, but there will be a lot of dead rich people before we find out either way.
On the bright side, SwordGuy taught me a new word today! But oh God, here he goes getting excited about the prospect of living up to his username again.  I wish I had a quarter for every time he's suggested physical violence towards all those DaMnEd RiCh PeOpLe!  I think his dream is to stand over everyone, sword in hand, and be the judge, jury, and executioner for anyone in case they're TOO rich.  Class warfare top is in!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 07:28:24 AM by johndoe »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7915 on: July 04, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »
... If you were stuck in such a dystopia, would you invest in their stock market? I would hope we could all figure this out.
Maybe WE would, but what percentage of the population would?  National ad campaigns with widely respected minds (like the Kardashians and other social media savants) may convince the average Joe.

...Any other route risks the jacquerie.    They may or may not win in the long run, but there will be a lot of dead rich people before we find out either way.
On the bright side, SwordGuy taught me a new word today! But oh God, here he goes getting excited about the prospect of living up to his username again.  I wish I had a quarter for every time he's suggested physical violence towards all those DaMnEd RiCh PeOpLe!  I think his dream is to stand over everyone, sword in hand, and be the judge, jury, and executioner for anyone in case they're TOO rich.  Class warfare top is in!

You kind of got my entire point completely backwards.  I'm not suggesting violence against rich people as a course of action,  I'm pointing out that if things continue to get worse for large numbers of people that THEY will commit violence against US rich people.

Make health care affordable and raise minimum wage to a decent living and most people will be too prosperous to rebel.     

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7916 on: July 04, 2021, 08:01:29 AM »
Continue to get worse? Aren't poor people better off today than they were at any prior point in US history?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7917 on: July 04, 2021, 08:09:33 AM »
It is, but the capacity for how good “things” could be for the poor is far from reached.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7918 on: July 04, 2021, 09:01:29 AM »
Continue to get worse? Aren't poor people better off today than they were at any prior point in US history?

Are they?

Minimum wage jobs didn't keep up with inflation.     College costs have skyrocketed so that path to get out of poverty is that much harder.   Medical care is much cheaper for some but not for all, there are gaps in Obamacare and Medicaid coverage.    Not all states implemented the Obamacare system in full.   

And as they look around, they see themselves falling farther and farther behind the folks with the good paying jobs.    A non-trivial percentage of the American public treat retail and food service workers like crap and management generally lets them, possibly because their management treats them like crap in a professional way.   It's humiliating.  Check out www.NotAlwaysRight.com for story after story from the front line workers.   

Even if they're better off, they're not relatively better off because they're falling further behind those who are doing well.   Think about it, we're able to make so much money we can retire in our 30s or 40s and many of these folks couldn't hope to achieve that on what they make, there just isn't enough income to save enough for retirement.   I've been poor.   We went without health insurance and just hoped.   I don't have all my teeth because getting a tooth pulled was much cheaper than a crown.   We were one injury or illness away from disaster.     We had one paid for car until a bad mechanic ruined it and didn't own up to it.    Then we had no car and not enough income to qualify for a replacement used vehicle -- thankfully someone co-signed for us.      We got out of poverty because I wasn't born poor and had solid middle-class skills and a college education, and I worked 14-16 hour days 6-7 days a week for some years.    It was brutal and not everyone can do that.   And that was in the good ole days of President Reagan...   Cut the earning power of minimum wage work from inflation and jack up the cost of school and medical care and lodgings and it's worse.

A minimum wage worker working 30 hrs per week at their job for 50 weeks out of the year (the rest goes to unpaid holidays and illness or a staycation) grosses $10,875 a month with no benefits.   Why not work 40 hours per week, the lazy slackers, you ask?  Ah, but that would make them full time and the employer would have to treat them like a full time employee.   There might be paid benefits then, and that would NEVER do.   So if that worker wants to work 40 hrs per week for an extra $3625 per year they'll have to get a second job and cover the costs of a second commute.    Remember that article by MMM on the evils of commuting?   Yeah, well, double those evils on poverty wages and think about that.     Double commuting time and add in the wasted time between two shifts at different employers and then wonder why they don't have lots of energy left for improving their lot in life.   And remember, this assumes that the primary employer will actually set a standard work day and work hours and stick to it -- lots of them change the worker's schedule around all the time.  That makes it harder to find a second job and to work enough hours at that job and not to have to work them at crazy times of the day that interfere with sleep patterns.    And it makes it harder to take a class at a school to improve their situation, too, assuming they could cover the costs of that school somehow.    I had one employer back when I had those kinds of jobs that would make out the schedule the day before.   The day before!   How the HELL is someone supposed to plan anything around that?   I was lucky, I had FU room and board at my parents and they would cover the college tuition if I couldn't.   Lots of my coworkers didn't have that luxury.

And just to make things more dangerous, toss recently re-empowered bigots on the alt-right into the mix who are looking to start a fight and take away hard-won rights from others and things could get ugly.

And don't kid yourself -- some of those folks are looking forward to a war so they can go kill the libtards and the rest will be cheering crowds while others do it.    These random alt-right nutcases who go on murder-sprees are the canary in the social coal mine -- there will be more and on a larger scale if we don't break the back of the alt-right propaganda machine.   It's a machine that's funded by a subset of us rich folks who think that they can squeeze the poor and working class folks even harder for more money and more social control.   

The way to stay rich and avoid violent reprisals against the rich is to make sure that anyone who works is prosperous and well-treated.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7919 on: July 04, 2021, 09:06:42 AM »
woah woah woah seriousness top was definitely in :)

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7920 on: July 04, 2021, 02:36:06 PM »
...I've been poor.   We went without health insurance and just hoped...   We got out of poverty because I wasn't born poor and had solid middle-class skills and a college education, and I worked 14-16 hour days 6-7 days a week for some years.    It was brutal and not everyone can do that... 

The way to stay rich and avoid violent reprisals against the rich is to make sure that anyone who works is prosperous and well-treated.

All very good points!

That said, what made me LOL was:

On the bright side, SwordGuy taught me a new word today! But oh God, here he goes getting excited about the prospect of living up to his username again. 

I mean, it wasn't what SwordGuy meant, but it was funny!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7921 on: July 05, 2021, 07:07:08 PM »
What!?  Nobody announced Top is In today?  Fine.  Top is In.  You’re welcome. 

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7922 on: July 05, 2021, 07:14:35 PM »

Stock markets aren't open (in the USA at least).

Either the top was already in on Friday, or the top won't be in until tomorrow.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7923 on: July 05, 2021, 07:20:03 PM »

Stock markets aren't open (in the USA at least).

Either the top was already in on Friday, or the top won't be in until tomorrow.

That just confirms top was in from Friday. Couldn't go up or down on Monday, therefore top was in Friday.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7925 on: July 06, 2021, 09:49:14 AM »
Out of curiosity has anyone ever seen Burry predict the market was going to go up? He's been around for at least a couple of decades at this point.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7926 on: July 06, 2021, 12:59:13 PM »

Enslaved people were better off in 1860 than at any prior point in US history, too.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7927 on: July 06, 2021, 02:03:33 PM »

Enslaved people were better off in 1860 than at any prior point in US history, too.

Really? You couldn't go all the way and bring in Hilter too?

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7928 on: July 06, 2021, 02:23:33 PM »

Just because "Better off than at any time in history" is said, doesn't really prove anything about the merits of the system. So, saying that our poor are better off now doesn't mean that the system is working great. The same can be said of lots of other less than perfect systems, such as the antebellum South, thus the shout out.

However, to answer your question, no, I don't think that in Germany in 1939 all groups of people were better off than in 1933. I am also quite sure that all citizens of Germany were much worse off in 1945 than in 1933.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7929 on: July 06, 2021, 02:27:55 PM »
So nazi top was in? I'm confused now.  When should I liquidate my stonks?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7930 on: July 06, 2021, 02:28:22 PM »
What do you guys think?

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/michael-burry-jeremy-grantham-predict-epic-stock-market-crash-warnings-2021-7

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/michael-burry-wallstreetbets-reddit-stock-market-predictions-analysis-bubble-crash-2021-7

I guess the top will be in...at some point...maybe? It's going to be EPIC!

I think…. Positions or ban

I’m sure only a small number of his predictions are reflected in his personal holdings

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7931 on: July 06, 2021, 08:08:16 PM »

Slavery was part of US history from the get-go.   It's appropriate to the discussion.

I still meet people who try to tell me how slavery in the old south wasn't evil and quote me multiple chapters and verse from the Bible to back up their position.    I tell them to go fuck themselves in the ass in as impolite and bitingly sarcastic a manner as I can muster at the time.   If they leave my presence in the slightest doubt that I think they are human scum I failed in my attempt.

But as for bringing up Hitler, the Republicans are trying to elect Nazis to public office so give them time.  (And no, I do not exaggerate.  The description of Nazi is from the Illinois Republican Party who, to do them credit, attempted to get Republican voters NOT to vote for the Nazi candidate running as a Republican. Over 54,000 Republican voters in a single legislative district in Illinois voted for Arthur Jones, a known Nazi.   To paraphrase Jones, "These people know who I am and they like it." )

At least the Germans had the sense to lock that bastard Hitler up after his failed coup attempt, which is more than I can say about more than a handful or two of Republicans in office after Trump's attempt.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7932 on: July 06, 2021, 08:40:51 PM »
So nazi top was in? I'm confused now.  When should I liquidate my stonks?

its nazi nazi top yet

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7933 on: July 06, 2021, 10:55:00 PM »

Slavery was part of US history from the get-go.   It's appropriate to the discussion.

I still meet people who try to tell me how slavery in the old south wasn't evil and quote me multiple chapters and verse from the Bible to back up their position.    I tell them to go fuck themselves in the ass in as impolite and bitingly sarcastic a manner as I can muster at the time.   If they leave my presence in the slightest doubt that I think they are human scum I failed in my attempt.

But as for bringing up Hitler, the Republicans are trying to elect Nazis to public office so give them time.  (And no, I do not exaggerate.  The description of Nazi is from the Illinois Republican Party who, to do them credit, attempted to get Republican voters NOT to vote for the Nazi candidate running as a Republican. Over 54,000 Republican voters in a single legislative district in Illinois voted for Arthur Jones, a known Nazi.   To paraphrase Jones, "These people know who I am and they like it." )

At least the Germans had the sense to lock that bastard Hitler up after his failed coup attempt, which is more than I can say about more than a handful or two of Republicans in office after Trump's attempt.
Great post.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7934 on: July 07, 2021, 08:53:39 AM »

Top is in, we have jumped the shark!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7935 on: July 07, 2021, 02:15:56 PM »

Top is in, we have jumped the shark!

Thanks for this. I just spent a few weeks in a land without WiFi or cell signal or sunsets this time of year. I came back to a much darker thread despite many new tops while I was away. Clearly the sun top is in at least for the Northern half of earth.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #7936 on: July 07, 2021, 05:57:03 PM »
Nazi's?.. Gotta have Nazi's, I mean where would the US Space program be without Nazi's?

After their war record was whitewashed of course!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7937 on: July 07, 2021, 08:09:54 PM »
Call him a Nazi, he won't even frown
"Ha, Nazi, Schmazi" says Wernher von Braun
Don't say that he's hypocritical
Say rather that he's apolitical
"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department" say Wernher von Braun

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7938 on: July 07, 2021, 08:17:36 PM »

Brilliant song, particularly as the composer was Jewish.

On a lighter note.. I think the top is in. I mean at 4358 the S&P can't POSSIBLY go any higher!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7939 on: July 07, 2021, 08:18:48 PM »
ugh my false prophecy had its moment

but top was not in then. It's in now.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #7940 on: July 07, 2021, 08:21:22 PM »
ugh my false prophecy had its moment

but top was not in then. It's in now.
Gotta be honest I did nazi that coming

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7941 on: July 07, 2021, 08:24:34 PM »
it was all just a game man, all just a game.

imaginary top is in

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7942 on: July 07, 2021, 11:12:36 PM »

On a lighter note.. I think the top is in. I mean at 4358 the S&P can't POSSIBLY go any higher!

All those days during the Great Recession, I really thought the top was in.  I kept shoveling in money, but I was certain the top was in.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7943 on: July 08, 2021, 12:55:09 AM »

All those days during the Great Recession, I really thought the top was in.  I kept shoveling in money, but I was certain the top was in.

Haha.. yeah me too. The way I looked at it was.. if this all goes to Hell I work forever. If I don't invest.. I'll work forever.. But maybe, just maybe it will turn out alright.

That was 3 million dollars ago..:)

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7944 on: July 08, 2021, 04:25:04 AM »

Haha.. yeah me too. The way I looked at it was.. if this all goes to Hell I work forever. If I don't invest.. I'll work forever.. But maybe, just maybe it will turn out alright.

At some point, the S&P 500 will be at 5000, 6000, 7000. Those of us that still need save and invest more will be pining for the days when it was only 4358. We'll certainly see some corrections and bear markets between those numbers, but we'll see them at some point.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7945 on: July 08, 2021, 06:17:41 AM »

At some point, the S&P 500 will be at 5000, 6000, 7000. Those of us that still need save and invest more will be pining for the days when it was only 4358. We'll certainly see some corrections and bear markets between those numbers, but we'll see them at some point.

That doesn't add up. If the Top Is In, then the S&P will never see 5000, 6000, or 7000.

Steeze

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7946 on: July 08, 2021, 06:19:03 AM »

If S&P returns 10% a year over long periods then over the next 100 years...
2021 = 4,358
2022 = 4,800
2023 = 5,300
2024 = 5,800
2025 = 6,400
2030 = 10,300
2035 = 16,600
2040 = 26,650
2045 = 43,000
2050 = 69,000
2060 = 179,000
2070 = 465,000
2080 = 1,200,300
2090 = 3,130,000
2100 = 8,115,000
2121 = 60,056,000

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7947 on: July 08, 2021, 07:11:43 AM »
Dividends should be part of this.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7948 on: July 08, 2021, 07:26:17 AM »

If S&P returns 10% a year over long periods then over the next 100 years...
2021 = 4,358
2022 = 4,800
2023 = 5,300
2024 = 5,800
2025 = 6,400
2030 = 10,300
2035 = 16,600
2040 = 26,650
2045 = 43,000
2050 = 69,000
2060 = 179,000
2070 = 465,000
2080 = 1,200,300
2090 = 3,130,000
2100 = 8,115,000
2121 = 60,056,000

S&P 60,000,000 here we come :D

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7949 on: July 08, 2021, 07:27:22 AM »

That doesn't add up. If the Top Is In, then the S&P will never see 5000, 6000, or 7000.

Oops. Didn't mean to contradict the prophecy.