Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3139331 times)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Re: Top is in
« Reply #7500 on: February 01, 2021, 04:35:47 PM »
Top is in.  But like... for realz.

BIL, who is almost professionally ignorant, now wants to buy stocks.  The things he is saying make it clear he has NO clue how even the basics work, but he he seems convinced he can't lose.  After all, the WSB dudebros did it!  (BIL likely doesn't even know what WSB is, and surely couldn't explain even the basics of shorting--would likely think you meant 'sharting'-- but has probably heard stories about lots of regular people making lots of money.  He's 'regular people' and he wants more money, so of course this should work out well!)

Sell, my friends.  Sell.
Can we take a short position on BIL net worth? BIL top is in!

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #7501 on: February 01, 2021, 05:06:36 PM »
But doesn't fresh capital injection *raise* prices? Perhaps I'm not understanding the problem of millions of new wannabe investors.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #7502 on: February 01, 2021, 06:23:47 PM »

BIL, who is almost professionally ignorant, now wants to buy stocks.  The things he is saying make it clear he has NO clue how even the basics work, but he he seems convinced he can't lose.  After all, the WSB dudebros did it!  (BIL likely doesn't even know what WSB is, and surely couldn't explain even the basics of shorting--would likely think you meant 'sharting'-- but has probably heard stories about lots of regular people making lots of money.  He's 'regular people' and he wants more money, so of course this should work out well!)

Sell, my friends.  Sell.

I was thinking of taking a shart position.

My fifth grade students were talking about GameStop before school. We are definitely headed for a crash when ten year olds are talking about getting in on the market.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7503 on: February 01, 2021, 06:31:55 PM »

Sell, my friends.  Sell.

Can you short a negative number? 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7504 on: February 01, 2021, 06:37:02 PM »

Sell, my friends.  Sell.

Can you short a negative number?
Only if BIL believes zero point energy is the solution to our global energy woes.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7505 on: February 01, 2021, 06:49:54 PM »
I'm gonna go short on you and bankrupt you and bring you to zero net worth!

Most Americans: thank God, release me from this crushing debt

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
« Reply #7506 on: February 01, 2021, 07:30:30 PM »
I just closed a shart position

SmartyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7507 on: February 01, 2021, 08:10:25 PM »
I'm gonna go short on you and bankrupt you and bring you to zero net worth!

Most Americans: thank God, release me from this crushing debt

Ahem. In my misspent twentysomething youth, I skipped a "how to double your net worth" seminar because my net worth was negative and you know what happens when you double a negative number. . . I knew even then I was being superstitious but could.not.make.myself.go. Yeah.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7508 on: February 02, 2021, 09:11:37 AM »
I feel like there's a meme for that, @SmartyCat

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7509 on: February 02, 2021, 09:32:30 AM »

Yeah, but how many people with a negative net worth would get it?   

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7510 on: February 02, 2021, 09:37:24 AM »
My wife, who does not as a practical matter know the difference between a stock and a bond (she does have a PhD in biochemistry, though), just forwarded me an article about GME...

-W

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7511 on: February 02, 2021, 09:41:39 AM »

As long as you put a wealthy person on your vision board, you are good to go. Just listen to the Law of Attraction or Prosperity Gospel.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7512 on: February 02, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »

As long as you put a wealthy person on your vision board, you are good to go. Just listen to the Law of Attraction or Prosperity Gospel.

The sarcasm is strong with this one...

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7513 on: February 02, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »
My wife, who does not as a practical matter know the difference between a stock and a bond (she does have a PhD in biochemistry, though), just forwarded me an article about GME...

-W

Top is most definitely in!

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7514 on: February 02, 2021, 09:49:37 AM »

No Top is Not in!

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
« Reply #7515 on: February 02, 2021, 09:56:55 AM »

-W

Yeah, a regional sports podcast that never talks about stocks, talked about GME and Robinhood Monday.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7516 on: February 02, 2021, 11:25:44 AM »
Everyone is talking about GME and other stocks.  Irrational exuberance top is in.

I'm holding onto my VTSAX with diamond hands, whatever that means.  :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket:

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7517 on: February 02, 2021, 11:48:43 AM »
Everyone is talking about GME and other stocks.  Irrational exuberance top is in.

I'm holding onto my VTSAX with diamond hands, whatever that means.  :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket:

Yay! a diamond TOP

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7518 on: February 02, 2021, 05:48:22 PM »

If more people make money on GME than lose, I think irrational exuberance is just getting started.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7519 on: February 02, 2021, 05:53:19 PM »
We'll get a GME bubble to go along with the real estate and crypto bubbles. You get a bubble, and you get a bubble, everyone gets a bubble! Bubble bath top is in 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7520 on: February 04, 2021, 08:30:31 AM »
Maybe this whole GME thing is going to slowly die.

My sister contacted me yesterday to inquire about investing in the market like I do.  After some back and forth it was determined she has student loans, her husband has student loans, they have a car note with 20% interest, owe money to our parents, and literally don't even have a savings account.  Less than a year ago she was asking to borrow money to pay back property taxes because apparently they just haven't paid them for a few years because of lack of money.  But she wants to start dumping money into the market?  Where is she getting this money? What the fuck is even going on?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7521 on: February 04, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »

My sister contacted me yesterday to inquire about investing in the market like I do.  After some back and forth it was determined she has student loans, her husband has student loans, they have a car note with 20% interest, owe money to our parents, and literally don't even have a savings account.  Less than a year ago she was asking to borrow money to pay back property taxes because apparently they just haven't paid them for a few years because of lack of money.  But she wants to start dumping money into the market?  Where is she getting this money? What the fuck is even going on?
Silver bullets are much easier than long term lifestyle changes or the crushing realization that it may not be easy (and in some cases wealth may be unattainable). Nihilism top is in.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7522 on: February 04, 2021, 09:31:21 AM »
Don't want to jinx it, but it looks like the top is in just in time for the 2 year anniversary of the "welp" timing thread...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7523 on: February 04, 2021, 10:27:12 AM »
My cash out mortgage refinance is in the process of being underwritten; expecting big cash out to happen sometime in March. So likely top won't actually be in until I receive the check and dump it in the market.  Everyone's got another 30-60 days of raging bull.

Not gonna lie, I am hoping for a massive down turn in the market between the time my refinance is officially completed and when I actually have the funds ready to invest.  Not going to attempt to time market, and I already made plans for exactly what I am setting aside and what is being dumped into my index funds, but it sure would be nice to dump that in at a discount rather than a record high at the end of a bull run. 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #7524 on: February 04, 2021, 02:48:33 PM »
Market prices seem a little ridiculous.

I got a lot of bonds even in retirement, so a big pullback certainly wouldn't break my heart..:)

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7525 on: February 04, 2021, 02:59:09 PM »

I got a lot of bonds even in retirement, so a big pullback certainly wouldn't break my heart..:)

Are you saying Top is in?!?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #7526 on: February 04, 2021, 03:13:00 PM »

Are you saying Top is in?!?

Hah.. I'm far to old to know anything when it comes to markets..:)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7527 on: February 04, 2021, 06:39:58 PM »

This sounds a lot more like "going to end in fire with much wailing and gnashing of teeth than "slowly die" to me.

One too many sob stories about someone who couldn't pay their taxes because their wild speculation "investment"  didn't pay off plus a couple of well placed lobbyist and we might find we're all unqualified to invest our own money... Back to the "safety" of paying an advisor 5% off the top and 1% a year for us little folk. For our own protection of course.

Enough the doom though, it's a new TOP for us today!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7528 on: February 04, 2021, 06:44:27 PM »

This sounds a lot more like "going to end in fire with much wailing and gnashing of teeth than "slowly die" to me.

One too many sob stories about someone who couldn't pay their taxes because their wild speculation "investment"  didn't pay off plus a couple of well placed lobbyist and we might find we're all unqualified to invest our own money... Back to the "safety" of paying an advisor 5% off the top and 1% a year for us little folk. For our own protection of course.

Remember when GW Bush wanted to convert social security to people making private investment accounts?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7529 on: February 04, 2021, 07:06:32 PM »

Remember when GW Bush wanted to convert social security to people making private investment accounts?

I accept the reduced return of SS as part of my contribution to society.

If all the money I've put into SS was in a 401k like account in my name instead (which is how it works for DW as an Alaska teacher) I'd be a much richer man. The AK teacher program does limit her choices for investments and to my dismay VTSAX isn't an option, but they have semi-reasonable fees as advised funds go... I don't quite understand how the AK teachers union was able to call a 403b like plan a pension and not pay SS. It is a much better deal for DW than either SS or the older defined benefit plan that required 25 years of service.   

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7530 on: February 04, 2021, 08:40:15 PM »

I remember the horrific looks on people's faces when the anticipated price tag to switch over was going to be $1 trillion.  Funny how it's not that uncommon of a word now.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7531 on: February 05, 2021, 12:34:39 PM »

I remember the horrific looks on people's faces when the anticipated price tag to switch over was going to be $1 trillion.  Funny how it's not that uncommon of a word now.

A trillion here, a trillion there,  and pretty soon you're talking real money!

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #7532 on: February 05, 2021, 02:52:15 PM »
I looked at the financial press today...

"S&P 500 jumps 1% to a record high, posts its fourth positive day in a row"  [emphasis mine]

Looks like, finally, after all these years, top is in

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #7533 on: February 05, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
I looked at the financial press today...

"S&P 500 jumps 1% to a record high, posts its fourth positive day in a row"  [emphasis mine]

Looks like, finally, after all these years, top is in

Weird.  My sources say S&P500 is only up 0.39% today.  Rounding Way Up Top Is In.

P.S. - VIX is still above 15.  No clue what XIV is.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7534 on: February 05, 2021, 06:42:36 PM »
It means fear is back.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7535 on: February 05, 2021, 06:45:02 PM »
No clue what XIV is.

Roman top is long since in.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7536 on: February 05, 2021, 07:28:25 PM »
No clue what XIV is.

Roman top is long since in.

Don’t start this Roman numeral business again. It got completely out of hand last year.

(what is a VIX anyway? I’ve never figured that one out).

Roman numeral. Sooo...that's ten minus 6 I think, so 4.

Thanks! That had really been bothering me.
No, it's not a Roman numeral.   4 would be IV, 1 less than 5.

VIX appears to be some sort of stock volatility index.

It is definitely a Roman numeral. Like in movies. MCMXCVII

That is 1,100 minus 990 plus 105 minus 2, so 213. They use it to show you how many people worked on the movie.

You are either kidding with us or don't understand Roman numerals and how they work.   MCMXCVII is

M = 1000
CM = 1000 - 100 = 900
XC = 100 - 10 = 90
VII = 5 + 2 = 7

1997, which would have been when the movie was made.    There aren't any films from 213...

No, 1997 would be IXXIIIC

https://www.calculateme.com/roman-numerals/to-roman  gives MCMXCVII when given 1997.

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/roman-numerals-converter.html?x1=IXXIIIC&x2= says IXXIIIC is not valid.

I’m sorry. I’m being juvenile and this has gotten out of hand. Can we get back to a serious discussion of how the top is in?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7537 on: February 05, 2021, 07:42:30 PM »
Did anyone see that GME is down to LXVI? That's a long ways down from CCCXVI. Caveat emptor! In summo est!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7538 on: February 06, 2021, 02:11:53 PM »
The Romans were really good at philosophy, the arts, and military conquest. But their math sucks.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7539 on: February 06, 2021, 04:54:11 PM »
The Romans were really good at philosophy, the arts, and military conquest. But their math sucks.

If my country was one of the last metric hold outs in the world, I wouldn't cast stones in this direction.

:P

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7540 on: February 06, 2021, 05:40:34 PM »

If my country was one of the last metric hold outs in the world, I wouldn't cast stones in this direction.

C'mon, be fair.    Most Americans can't do math in Imperial measurements either.   We don't convert because then no one else can figure out we're inumerate, which is illiterate only with numbers.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7541 on: February 06, 2021, 08:43:35 PM »
My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7542 on: February 06, 2021, 08:49:23 PM »
That lines right up with the 30-50 feral hogs estimate

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7543 on: February 06, 2021, 10:18:11 PM »

C'mon, be fair.    Most Americans can't do math in Imperial measurements either.   We don't convert because then no one else can figure out we're inumerate, which is illiterate only with numbers.

This is unfortunately why the Rebel Alliance will likely win.

/r/EmpireDidNothingWrong

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7544 on: February 07, 2021, 12:10:20 AM »
My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it.

Had to scroll left to see the username.  Knew it would be you.  Always good for a simpsons quote

bigblock440

• Bristles
« Reply #7545 on: February 07, 2021, 09:39:08 PM »

One country has landed men on The mOon, (P)the rest use the metrIc System.   (IN)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7546 on: February 09, 2021, 07:35:39 AM »
My work requires that I discuss the large fiscal and monetary actions with people as we contemplate the direction of the economy. I've tried really hard to standardize all units in $billions, so the Biden relief package is a $1,900 billion package, and the program to send everyone checks costs about $290 billion.

I think we want to make it easy for people to compare things.

And if you're working in metric, that's...the same because the US dollar is the world's reserve currency ;-)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7547 on: February 09, 2021, 11:54:39 AM »

Americans use metric for a ton of super-American stuff! Bullets. Soda bottles. Nutrition labels*. Hard liquor. Oreo serving size. Illegal drugs. Bombs. Protein power. Liquid limits for airport security theater. Electric metering for all our stupid devices.

*The calorie is an SI-based unit, though in fairness we print it as "cal" instead of the more accurate Kcal.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7548 on: February 09, 2021, 06:42:20 PM »

Americans use metric for a ton of super-American stuff! Bullets. Soda bottles. Nutrition labels*. Hard liquor. Oreo serving size. Illegal drugs. Bombs. Protein power. Liquid limits for airport security theater. Electric metering for all our stupid devices.

*The calorie is an SI-based unit, though in fairness we print it as "cal" instead of the more accurate Kcal.

I have never received an airstrike that was measured in kilograms. 500 pounders all day thank you!

About those nutrition labels - the box of food itself is in imperial with metric in smaller print so serving size is either ignored or feels like a polite suggestion because I can't measure out 2.5 servings.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7549 on: February 09, 2021, 07:17:43 PM »

'Mericans use 7.62x39mm and 7.62x51mm as very separate things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9739mm ie COMMIE and worse...     vs   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9751mm_NATO   .... who hooooh
7.62x51mm is a smaller packaging of the 30-06 beloved by 'Mericans.

I recently overheard a bar discussion about the unavailability of 9mm and 5.56mm ammo. so even 'Mericans get some of the metric system, even if not in a otherwise socially acceptable way.
I noted in the bar discussion that I heard _no_ mention of imperial/US units.

For those interested in such discussions I recommend :   https://www.youtube.com/c/ForgottenWeapons/videos

I'm amused about the number of non-US persons checking out the gun porn, complete with Gun Jesus. 
No I'm not kidding.   Just to be clear, he IS kidding and slightly shy about it , just like Brian.
https://www.hkpro.com/threads/hk-gun-jesus-poster.491582/         although if you are a French gun, you do get a pass to Heaven :-), as he has written a book on the subject.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!