Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3139720 times)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #3100 on: July 25, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »
https://banyanhill.com/exclusives/70-stock-market-crash-to-strike-august-1-economist-warns/?z=974344

70% crash in 6 days!!

"Bauman uses over a dozen indisputable charts to prove his point that a 70% stock market crash is here."

Whelp, I'm convinced. Top is in.

Yup. Time to liquidate everything and buy Bitcoin. I hear it's the currency of the future!

Weird, that site has only been around since mid-2015 but they claim to have called the 1999 (wasn't it in 2000) and 2007 stock market crashes...

Looks like they predicted crashes in 2016 and 2017 too. Notably one of their 2017 calls was for a 80% drop. But now that the market is even higher it will only drop 70% in 2018?
https://banyanhill.com/exclusives/strange-calendar-predicts-stock-market-crash/
https://banyanhill.com/exclusives/80-stock-market-crash-strike-2017-economist-warns/

Another weird thing I noticed about this site is that they are manipulating the posting date of their articles to make them look more recent or something. When I searched Google it said the second link above went up September 26, 2017. But the article itself is dated today. So now it looks like "Stock market to crash in 2017" was posted in 2018. Yeah, that makes you look credible...

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3101 on: July 25, 2018, 03:16:37 PM »
https://banyanhill.com/exclusives/70-stock-market-crash-to-strike-august-1-economist-warns/?z=974344

70% crash in 6 days!!
Well I'm only partway into this fascinating article and I won't watch the video, but I suspect that one of the "undisputable charts" referenced is actually a pineapple!

Well spotted, sir!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3102 on: July 25, 2018, 04:02:10 PM »

70% crash in 6 days!!

"Bauman uses over a dozen indisputable charts to prove his point that a 70% stock market crash is here."

Whelp, I'm convinced. Top is in.

Sounds like the GOAT MOAT to me.  I wonder if Bauman is thorstach? 

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #3103 on: July 25, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »

70% crash in 6 days!!

I suppose morbid curiosity compelled me to click on that link and start to watch the video.  It is so horribly bad.  A piece of advice for Bauman, when you are "fear mongering," try to avoid making it obvious that you have no clue what you are talking about.  Even with the benefit of hindsight, he keeps saying "the market should have corrected in 2014."  So what you are saying is that we should have gotten out when the S&P broke through the 1,500 mark, because, you know, three hills are prettier than two hills on a chart, and missed out on a nearly 100% return (including dividend reinvestment)?  Who could possibly listen to him after that?  Of course, the lamb should have been a dead giveaway.

And now he is basing his 70% crash in 6 days on the fact that some congressmen have written a letter requesting an open hearing on SEC rule 10(b)-18 on stock buybacks somehow leading to an elimination of stock buybacks?  Anyone want to place odds on the chance of stock buybacks going away?

But, of course, top is in!

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #3104 on: July 25, 2018, 04:14:41 PM »
70% crash in 6 days!!
70%? pfft… this is an all or nothing thread. The top is never 70% in... it's 100% in or it's 100% not.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3105 on: July 25, 2018, 04:42:46 PM »
70% crash in 6 days!!
70%? pfft… this is an all or nothing thread. The top is never 70% in... it's 100% in or it's 100% not.

Top is in.  200% crash in 13 days.  I charted the course of a shooting star and the evidence is irrefutable.

Money Maker Mike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3106 on: July 25, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
70% crash in 6 days!!

Top is in.  200% crash in 13 days.  I charted the course of a shooting star and the evidence is irrefutable.

200%? I just ran extensive calculations, and I am seeing 200% as very optimistic. I am out. Have fun eating cat food!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #3107 on: July 25, 2018, 05:37:28 PM »
Technical analysis for the win!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3108 on: July 25, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »
This is definitely the tip top.........portfolio hit an all time high.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #3109 on: July 25, 2018, 09:58:28 PM »
New Top is in for VTSAX total returns! I hope everyone was investing in ALL the stocks (not 500 arbitrary ones, unless you have no choice... thanks 401k) and reinvesting dividends (not ignoring or frittering them away). If you bought in at the January 26 peak you are back in black!

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3110 on: July 25, 2018, 10:03:59 PM »
70% crash in 6 days!!

200%? I just ran extensive calculations, and I am seeing 200% as very optimistic. I am out. Have fun eating cat food!

Sold all my stocks and bought cat food. Bitcoin was the new gold, but cat food is the new Bitcoin. If you don't understand this, it's okay, you're just stupid and old.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3111 on: July 26, 2018, 05:13:29 AM »
70% crash in 6 days!!

That will make for one hellova yard sale, get ready to BUY!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3112 on: July 26, 2018, 07:43:36 AM »
Another weird thing I noticed about this site is that they are manipulating the posting date of their articles to make them look more recent or something. When I searched Google it said the second link above went up September 26, 2017. But the article itself is dated today. So now it looks like "Stock market to crash in 2017" was posted in 2018. Yeah, that makes you look credible...

I just confirmed that the post date of the article above changed to July 26th (today) when yesterday it said July 25th. When was that article even posted? I notice a distinct lack of current dates anywhere besides the moving post date. The title says "August 1" but how do we know they are even talking about August 1, 2018?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3113 on: July 26, 2018, 08:36:23 AM »

I just confirmed that the post date of the article above changed to July 26th (today) when yesterday it said July 25th. When was that article even posted? I notice a distinct lack of current dates anywhere besides the moving post date. The title says "August 1" but how do we know they are even talking about August 1, 2018?

I was in a bar last night and they had a sign above the door that said "free beer tomorrow" -- sounds familiar :P

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3114 on: July 26, 2018, 08:53:11 AM »

I refuse to watch the video to look for signs of a general date, but I will say that the man in the image of the video (presumably Ted Bauman) looks about 5-10 years younger than the photo of Ted Bauman on the expert section of Banyan Publishing (https://banyanhill.com/expert/ted-bauman/). The glasses and goatee muddle the difference a little, but the latter photo shows significantly more puffiness around the eyes and neck, and the hair is grayer and a little more receded. If I had to guess, given his resume suggesting legitimate work in South Africa and for other governmental agencies in the early 2000s along with reporting him working for Habitat for Humanity International 2008-2013 before leaving to work as a researcher/writer, this is probably from 2013-2015. Does he mention Obama or Bernanke in the video?

One slight wrinkle, his dad is the legal counsel for this publishing company as well (and a former Congressman). I think they look sufficiently different to discount that this could actually be his dad in the video.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3115 on: July 26, 2018, 09:24:20 AM »

I refuse to watch the video to look for signs of a general date, but I will say that the man in the image of the video (presumably Ted Bauman) looks about 5-10 years younger than the photo of Ted Bauman on the expert section of Banyan Publishing (https://banyanhill.com/expert/ted-bauman/).

I also noticed this, very weird. I did a Google search for Ted Bauman for articles from 1999-2000 and 2007, the years he and his team presumably called previous crashes, and nothing relevant was found...

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3116 on: July 26, 2018, 09:44:48 AM »

I refuse to watch the video to look for signs of a general date, but I will say that the man in the image of the video (presumably Ted Bauman) looks about 5-10 years younger than the photo of Ted Bauman on the expert section of Banyan Publishing (https://banyanhill.com/expert/ted-bauman/).

I also noticed this, very weird. I did a Google search for Ted Bauman for articles from 1999-2000 and 2007, the years he and his team presumably called previous crashes, and nothing relevant was found...
The trick is to make one video that "calls crashes" and constantly update the date.  Eventually, it's bound to be right!  However, to appear to be a real genius, make a video predicting the top and constantly updating.  Probably right even more!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3117 on: July 26, 2018, 09:53:52 AM »
At the close of the market today, 600k will transfer from mostly aggressive funds to a money market fund for me.  I did pretty well in the 2008-9 crash (in hindsight, at one point, it looked like I'd gotten back in too early).  Just a fun experiment with, what I'm now convinced is very little downside.  The market needs to take a breather from this breathless sprint into ginormous headwinds...  but it'll be hard to know what to do even if the market corrects 20%!  Not really worried, I'm way ahead of schedule on retirement funds, so I can sit it out for a while either way, just more worried than optimistic at this point as the November mid-terms start to ramp up.  Good luck everyone!  Knowing when to invest, for me, is harder than knowing when to sell.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3118 on: July 26, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »

The trick is to make one video that "calls crashes" and constantly update the date.  Eventually, it's bound to be right!  However, to appear to be a real genius, make a video predicting the top and constantly updating.  Probably right even more!

That sounds incredibly complicated and troublesome. The much more obvious conlusion is he in league with John Titor and can travel through time. Unfortunately his predictions distort the time matrix, forever moving the date of the crash by 1 day. He's trapped in an infinite loop. The crash is no longer predictable and will be subject to traditional market forces once again.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3119 on: July 26, 2018, 10:04:10 AM »
At the close of the market today, 600k will transfer from mostly aggressive funds to a money market fund for me.  I did pretty well in the 2008-9 crash (in hindsight, at one point, it looked like I'd gotten back in too early).  Just a fun experiment with, what I'm now convinced is very little downside.  The market needs to take a breather from this breathless sprint into ginormous headwinds...  but it'll be hard to know what to do even if the market corrects 20%!  Not really worried, I'm way ahead of schedule on retirement funds, so I can sit it out for a while either way, just more worried than optimistic at this point as the November mid-terms start to ramp up.  Good luck everyone!  Knowing when to invest, for me, is harder than knowing when to sell.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #3120 on: July 26, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
I liquidated everything and bought rubles.

вершина рынка здесь

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3121 on: July 26, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »
Top is ini si poT

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3122 on: July 26, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
The trick is to make one video thread on MMM that "calls crashes" and constantly update the date.  Eventually, it's bound to be right!  However, to appear to be a real genius, make a video another thread on MMM predicting the top and constantly updating.  Probably right even more!

Fixed that for you.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3123 on: July 26, 2018, 02:24:38 PM »
The trick is to make one video thread on MMM that "calls crashes" and constantly update the date.  Eventually, it's bound to be right!  However, to appear to be a real genius, make a video another thread on MMM predicting the top and constantly updating.  Probably right even more!

Fixed that for you.
Well played!

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3124 on: July 26, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »

Hard to tell if this is dumb or not without knowing what % of your stash 600k is.

If it’s 10 - 40% and you are readjusting from 100 to 60:40 due to anxiety/being risk averse then seems ok.

If it’s 90-100% then wise up man

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3125 on: July 26, 2018, 03:20:57 PM »

Hard to tell if this is dumb or not without knowing what % of your stash 600k is.

If it’s 10 - 40% and you are readjusting from 100 to 60:40 due to anxiety/being risk averse then seems ok.

What if it’s >100%?

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #3126 on: July 26, 2018, 10:41:07 PM »

вершина рынка здесь

in Soviet Russia, rubles buy you

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #3127 on: July 26, 2018, 10:46:25 PM »

вершина рынка здесь

You have eighty bullets.  We have hundred men.  We win.

Topski is canceled by order of the Kremlin.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:52:45 PM by ILikeDividends »

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3128 on: July 27, 2018, 06:37:41 AM »

So when the solid GDP number that is expected comes in today, will you be sad?  I agree it can't rise forever, but very little headwinds are showing other than jitters of how long it has taken.  Curious what you are viewing as ginormous headwinds as I'm not in that same storm front I guess.  Seeing rather smooth sailing ahead for a while.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:39:24 AM by caracarn »

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #3129 on: July 27, 2018, 07:37:15 AM »
The Ted Bauman article is now dated 7/27.  I'm bummed that I will be away from the computer for the week beginning August 1 (70% stock market crash day).  Can someone film the crash using a go-pro for me?   

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3130 on: July 27, 2018, 07:45:22 AM »
70% crash in 6 days!!

If the market crashes 200%, stocks would have a negative value.  Does that mean that people pay me to buy their stock?

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3131 on: July 27, 2018, 07:46:35 AM »
You are doing it wrong! The top is bullish. You should be buying with both hands!

UNLESS, it is the dreaded double-top. That is disastrous. Sell everything you have at that point, take your cash out of the bank, and bury it in the yard.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3132 on: July 27, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »
70% crash in 6 days!!

If the market crashes 200%, stocks would have a negative value.  Does that mean that people pay me to buy their stock?
Yes, companies pay you to buy their stock all the time. They call it dividends or something. As long as you don't reinvest them at the top, you can FIRE in your 20's.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3133 on: July 27, 2018, 08:27:41 AM »

Vanguard sends armed guards to your door and demands cash payments.  In return, you are allowed to continue owning stocks that are worth zero dollars. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3134 on: July 27, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »

вершина рынка здесь

In Soviet Russia, In is the Top

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3135 on: July 27, 2018, 09:08:14 AM »
"Tell them winter came for them." - S&P 500

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #3136 on: July 27, 2018, 10:24:25 AM »
"Tell them winter came for them." - S&P 500

LOL! 

I guess the S really stands for Stark.

thorstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3137 on: July 27, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
Double GOAT MOAT is in

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3138 on: July 27, 2018, 10:58:37 AM »
DOUBLE Goat Moat!  This is it.  I hope everybody's bunkers are finished being built. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3139 on: July 27, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »

Vanguard sends armed guards to your door and demands cash payments.  In return, you are allowed to continue owning stocks that are worth zero dollars.

Also known as margin

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3140 on: July 27, 2018, 08:42:53 PM »
Double GOAT MOAT is in
There's only one GOAT so there can't be a double.

Fake GOAT. Sad!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3141 on: July 28, 2018, 12:49:11 AM »
Double GOAT MOAT is in
There's only one GOAT so there can't be a double.

Fake GOAT. Sad!

The second goat was Bruce Willis the whole time

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3142 on: July 28, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3143 on: July 28, 2018, 09:25:51 AM »
When my eyes are tired, I enlarge the screen on my reader,  to the point that I can't see who's posting. When I read this, I had to shrink the screen to see who it came from. I expected a newb, possibly even a troll-ish newb. To see it came from a respected MMM Forum contributor somehow makes me sad. My hope is that EV 2020 is only referring the portion of their portfolio that's "aggressive" and they still have a decent amount invested more moderately. I kinda doubt it, alas. Looks like that planned Escape might be losing its Velocity. Whatever else they have, it's still market timing. Boo-hoo.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3144 on: July 28, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »
Yes I took this to mean gambling with the "play money" i.e not a significant portion of the entire stash.

I can admit to similar feelings though... The P/E of the market is on the high end of historic valuations and even with some spectacular beats on quarterly earnings (Amazon) the market still tanked on Friday.. My God.. if the market tanks with such great news (GDP at 4.1%,we are the greatest, USA! USA...blah blah yawn) what is it going to do when news is not so great?

So while I know in my head that the great recession was only a 4 year event my heart feels like this is the right time reduce exposure.

The only reason I don't do something rash is because I know I absolutely suck at market timing.. But I sure feel the pull though.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #3145 on: July 28, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »
Based on EV2020's prior posts in this thread, I thought his post about "ginormous headwinds" was tongue in cheek. I imagine his 600,000 little green employees are chuckling on their way to the bank or whistling while they work or something. 

Then again, perhaps they are conspiring with Thorstach about How To Profit From the Coming Cataclysm...

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3146 on: July 28, 2018, 12:42:53 PM »
"Little green employees.. or soldiers". The thought of this metaphor makes me smile for sure..:)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3147 on: July 28, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »
When my eyes are tired, I enlarge the screen on my reader,  to the point that I can't see who's posting. When I read this, I had to shrink the screen to see who it came from. I expected a newb, possibly even a troll-ish newb. To see it came from a respected MMM Forum contributor somehow makes me sad. My hope is that EV 2020 is only referring the portion of their portfolio that's "aggressive" and they still have a decent amount invested more moderately. I kinda doubt it, alas. Looks like that planned Escape might be losing its Velocity. Whatever else they have, it's still market timing. Boo-hoo.

Haven't checked in much since I'm travelling.  Just to throw a little light on what I'm doing, I'm getting ready for an expat assignment which will take up a lot of my time and put me in a time zone where I don't want to have to worry about following my stache for the next year.  I still have the bulk of my net worth in diversified index funds (emerging market, international, domestic, and a smattering of intermediate term munis and TIPS). The 600k is from an old self-directed 401k (thus not a taxable transaction) and I just don't have time to come up with what I want to do.  Maybe they sit out a year while I make good money on my assignment and when I get back mid-2019 I have a clearer picture of what I want to do.  For whatever personal reason, adding more to my S&P500 index funds doesn't quite sound right and I don't want to kick myself for being over-exposed to the US.  Needless to say, I'm not going to be following US politics other than what the French perspective is.  I really don't have the time and energy to try to keep up as well as ramp up on a new project and there is little benefit to it since most coworkers could care less about the nuances of what is going on with Democrats and Republicans.

Maybe this is me being defensive, but I wanted to put up my decision here so that I stick to my guns and put more thought into what I am doing, not just flip flop back and forth jumping in and out of funds.  That is a guaranteed way to lose money, trying to outguess the market on a short-term basis.  With that said, if the market plunges, I'm not going to jump back in and if the market continues to push higher, I'll be grateful for still having some exposure.  Either way, this puts me at ease while the rest of my life gets a little more busy and stressful...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:47:28 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Stachless

• Stubble
« Reply #3148 on: July 28, 2018, 09:10:45 PM »
[bWith that said, if the market plunges, I'm not going to jump back in][/b]

It is your stache to do with as you see fit....but I don't get this part.  If you're not going to jump back in after the market plunges....when will you?

Best of luck on the new gig!!

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3149 on: July 28, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »

Haven't checked in much since I'm travelling.  Just to throw a little light on what I'm doing, I'm getting ready for an expat assignment which will take up a lot of my time and put me in a time zone where I don't want to have to worry about following my stache for the next year.  I still have the bulk of my net worth in diversified index funds (emerging market, international, domestic, and a smattering of intermediate term munis and TIPS). The 600k is from an old self-directed 401k (thus not a taxable transaction) and I just don't have time to come up with what I want to do.  Maybe they sit out a year while I make good money on my assignment and when I get back mid-2019 I have a clearer picture of what I want to do.  For whatever personal reason, adding more to my S&P500 index funds doesn't quite sound right and I don't want to kick myself for being over-exposed to the US.  Needless to say, I'm not going to be following US politics other than what the French perspective is.  I really don't have the time and energy to try to keep up as well as ramp up on a new project and there is little benefit to it since most coworkers could care less about the nuances of what is going on with Democrats and Republicans.

Maybe this is me being defensive, but I wanted to put up my decision here so that I stick to my guns and put more thought into what I am doing, not just flip flop back and forth jumping in and out of funds.  That is a guaranteed way to lose money, trying to outguess the market on a short-term basis.  With that said, if the market plunges, I'm not going to jump back in and if the market continues to push higher, I'll be grateful for still having some exposure.  Either way, this puts me at ease while the rest of my life gets a little more busy and stressful...
via Imgflip Meme Generator