Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3140263 times)

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #2850 on: May 06, 2018, 03:42:13 PM »
Jeebus, just when you think it's over....

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #2851 on: May 06, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »
Jeebus, just when you think it's over....

It will never be over.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2852 on: May 07, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »
I think this thread just shows that peoples' emotions are irrational. The market always goes up. It swings around a bit, but always goes up in the end. But hey man, I am all for people being stupid and fearful. They'll put stocks on sale for me.

Man investing has turned me into a bit of an evil misanthrope. LWhen people think the sky is falling I just laugh and buy more stock. And then I hope it gets worse.

Man top is in

Manvesting?

I definitely like when a skimpy top is in.  Please keep more memes like this one coming.   

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2853 on: May 07, 2018, 11:03:58 AM »

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2854 on: May 07, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trapped-stock-market-purgatory-153906883.html

Purgatory is in.

From 1999 to 2015, Durango Mountain Resort was in.  Now we're back to Purgatory.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2855 on: May 08, 2018, 07:10:06 AM »
As usual, thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I am very sure I will freak out or get pissy again at some point so bear with me. I only signed on to this methodology at the beginning of the year (even though I have been investing for longer). So I am still trying to adjust I guess.

My friend did send me this: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/07/warren-buffett-10000-invested-in-an-index-fund-when-i-bought-my-first-stock-in-1942-would-be-worth-51-million-today.html

Pretty amazing isn't just the dollar amount, but what occurred during that time frame:
Since that time, Buffett said that Americans have seen 14 U.S. presidents, a world war, 9/11 and the Cuban Missile Crisis. "The only thing you had to believe in [1942] is that America would win the war and that America would progress as it has ever since 1776," he said. "The headlines were terrible every day."

Maybe if I was up more and had more of a cushion like some of you long terms have, it would be easier for me. Who knows, maybe if all goes well, I don't carry on like this next year.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2856 on: May 08, 2018, 07:57:59 AM »
As usual, thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I am very sure I will freak out or get pissy again at some point so bear with me. I only signed on to this methodology at the beginning of the year (even though I have been investing for longer). So I am still trying to adjust I guess.

My friend did send me this: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/07/warren-buffett-10000-invested-in-an-index-fund-when-i-bought-my-first-stock-in-1942-would-be-worth-51-million-today.html

Pretty amazing isn't just the dollar amount, but what occurred during that time frame:
Since that time, Buffett said that Americans have seen 14 U.S. presidents, a world war, 9/11 and the Cuban Missile Crisis. "The only thing you had to believe in [1942] is that America would win the war and that America would progress as it has ever since 1776," he said. "The headlines were terrible every day."

Maybe if I was up more and had more of a cushion like some of you long terms have, it would be easier for me. Who knows, maybe if all goes well, I don't carry on like this next year.

I was right there with you until those last two sentences.   I don't think you're getting it yet.

You're not planning on retiring in the next couple of years, correct?   Assuming that I remember that correctly, please answer these questions:

1)  How does your life change over the next year if the stock market goes up 50% this year?

2)  How does your life change over the next year if the stock market goes down 50% this year?

3)  Will you be better off if the market goes up 50% this year or drops 20% right away and stays that way for the rest of the year?

==== Correct answers are below ======

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2857 on: May 08, 2018, 08:32:06 AM »

I was right there with you until those last two sentences.   I don't think you're getting it yet.

You're not planning on retiring in the next couple of years, correct?   Assuming that I remember that correctly, please answer these questions:

1)  How does your life change over the next year if the stock market goes up 50% this year?

2)  How does your life change over the next year if the stock market goes down 50% this year?

3)  Will you be better off if the market goes up 50% this year or drops 20% right away and stays that way for the rest of the year?

I was interpreting KTG's comment as meaning that the exercise of keeping in the market and buying into the market more will mean that swings are less painful.  I will say that a 10% swing now bothers me less than a 3% swing did when I had very little money in the market.  I'm just used to not paying attention.  However, it took me a little while to get there.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2858 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »

No I am not retiring for some time, however, in scenario 1) I'd feel like a stud, in 2) I'd feel like an idiot, and 3) I will either feel a lot better about myself if the 50% happens or worse if the 20% drop happens.

I know you will say all this is nonsense.

What is interesting I guess its because I injected a lot of cash into VTI. I am no where near as emotional about the 401k volatility. Maybe because the money is kind of locked there, and I have no plan to withdraw. I guess with the cash purchase, much of it coming from gains in individual stocks, I am more emotional about it because its a lot easier to sell.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2859 on: May 08, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »
Net worth does not equal self worth. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2860 on: May 08, 2018, 09:58:47 AM »
KTG, I'm not sure if you've read this one from MMM from back in Feb, 2016, but it's a good read and was the main thing that helped me change my thinking (and fear-of) investing. 

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/02/29/what-to-do-about-this-scary-stock-market/

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2861 on: May 08, 2018, 10:07:41 AM »

Neither

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2862 on: May 08, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »
No I am not retiring for some time, however, in scenario 1) I'd feel like a stud, in 2) I'd feel like an idiot, and 3) I will either feel a lot better about myself if the 50% happens or worse if the 20% drop happens.

I know you will say all this is nonsense.

What is interesting I guess its because I injected a lot of cash into VTI. I am no where near as emotional about the 401k volatility. Maybe because the money is kind of locked there, and I have no plan to withdraw. I guess with the cash purchase, much of it coming from gains in individual stocks, I am more emotional about it because its a lot easier to sell.

It's not "all nonsense".  The emotional side is hard to deal with.  But what are your options?  Take the $$ out?  And put it where?  Nothing else is guaranteed to do better (although some are guaranteed to do worse, by design). 

And, the other thing to consider - how big of a chump will you feel like, if you take it out now and the S&P roars past 3000 in a year? 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2863 on: May 08, 2018, 10:58:04 AM »
Put the phrase "top is in" into Google. 

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #2864 on: May 08, 2018, 11:05:04 AM »
The "top is in" thread top is in.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2865 on: May 08, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »
2nd hit is - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-the-big-top-is-already-in-for-this-stock-market-2016-05-24

Why the ‘big top’ is already in for this stock market
Published: May 24, 2016 9:04 a.m. ET

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2866 on: May 08, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »
KTG, I'm not sure if you've read this one from MMM from back in Feb, 2016, but it's a good read and was the main thing that helped me change my thinking (and fear-of) investing. 

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/02/29/what-to-do-about-this-scary-stock-market/

Man, I swear. every time I read something that has to do with settling my nerves my mind pops. Just can't handle it. Especially when I see the date it was written. I don't know what I am so doom and gloom about this. Many, many others have done it and done well with it. I just need to shut the f up.

And it wasn't my intent to just cash out of the market. I meant be more active in trading.

(I can see peeps reaching for something to throw at me now)

Oh no more. Will shut up for at least the rest of the week.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2867 on: May 08, 2018, 11:39:00 AM »

Man, I swear. every time I read something that has to do with settling my nerves my mind pops. Just can't handle it. Especially when I see the date it was written. I don't know what I am so doom and gloom about this. Many, many others have done it and done well with it. I just need to shut the f up.

And it wasn't my intent to just cash out of the market. I meant be more active in trading.

I would seriously reconsider active trading.  If you think passive index investing is stressful, its NOTHING compared to active trading. 

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2868 on: May 08, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »

Aww. I want that compounding interest.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2869 on: May 08, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »

I would seriously reconsider active trading.  If you think passive index investing is stressful, its NOTHING compared to active trading.
KTG + eTrade + day trading = what could go wrong?  Suggest starting out with something simple and easy to follow, like emerging market junior subordinated debt instruments.

Day trade top is in.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2870 on: May 08, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »
I did make a lot of money buying individual stocks!

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2871 on: May 08, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »
KTG, I don't mean to pick on you here.  Most here are buy and hold investors who use broad index funds for that purpose.

Some here are active stock pickers and I expect there are some day traders too. They might strike it rich and be hugely successful.

I'm not looking to beat the market. I just want to match it.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2872 on: May 08, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »

Pretty much everybody's made a lot of "money"* because the market's way up.  And then plenty of people will beat the index** because a certain number of people have to be above average just because of math.  Just ask yourself if you smarter than millions of brilliant people who do it for a living, though.

If you still think you can consistently beat the index, I wouldn't stick around on this thread.  There will be no mercy here. 

*"Money" is not the right word unless it's dividends or you have already sold.
**You cannot beat the market because you are the market. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2873 on: May 08, 2018, 03:10:52 PM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2874 on: May 08, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »
The "top is in" thread top is in.

Google does tend to curate results based on your browsing history

But in this case incognito mode got the same result

Top is in for google

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2875 on: May 08, 2018, 03:13:44 PM »

)  Will you be better off if the market goes up 50% this year or drops 20% right away and stays that way for the rest of the year?

For some people, +/- 50% is the difference between FIRE and SWLAC (still working like a chump)

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2876 on: May 09, 2018, 11:03:52 AM »
EVERYONE RELAX... I am in the green again.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2877 on: May 09, 2018, 11:38:01 AM »

Green like positive return on investment, green?  Or green like you just got so angry you turned into the Hulk and threw a desk out the window, green?  :)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2878 on: May 09, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »

Why'd you even look?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2879 on: May 09, 2018, 11:51:25 AM »
Come on S&P.. 2700... yes please..:)

We should break a few more agreements we have made around the globe!

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2880 on: May 09, 2018, 12:14:24 PM »
I think we all know what this means...

Top is in

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2881 on: May 09, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »

Green Top is in!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:50:49 PM by techwiz »

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2882 on: May 09, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »
Green like positive return on investment, green?  Or green like you just got so angry you turned into the Hulk and threw a desk out the window, green?  :)

Investment!

Why'd you even look?

Because one must do... what one does!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2883 on: May 09, 2018, 01:19:18 PM »

Top is in

I love this thread

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2884 on: May 09, 2018, 01:33:14 PM »

Top is in

I love this thread

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2885 on: May 09, 2018, 02:13:05 PM »

Top is in

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2886 on: May 09, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »

Top is in
Ooh, I was having trouble with moving and italics.  Nicely done!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2887 on: May 09, 2018, 05:02:29 PM »
I love this thread, it's like watching a CNN ticker of nonsense.

The scrolling text reminded me of this gem from page 1

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2888 on: May 09, 2018, 07:55:09 PM »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2889 on: May 10, 2018, 05:40:31 AM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2890 on: May 10, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
I love this thread, it's like watching a CNN ticker of nonsense.

The scrolling text reminded me of this gem from page 1

DJI 24,620.37 ↑ 77.83 VTI 139.58 ↑ 0.50 M 29.26  ↓ 0.71 SKY ✈=BLUE TOP ☠ = IN THE SMART INVESTOR THIS SEASON WILL ALWAYS COLLATERALIZE SEQUENTIAL-PAY LOAN PORTFOLIOS. IN UNSECURED SECTORS, NEVER UNDERWRITE HIGHER-CLASSED AMORTIZATIONS. OTC CAPITAL ADEQUACY REQUIREMENTS: IN THE AERONAUTICS MARKETPLACE, BE SURE TO SECURITIZE THEM.TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN TOP IS IN

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2891 on: May 10, 2018, 08:08:53 AM »
I maintain my previous empirical observation that threads like this thrive on poorly timed market calls; however they wither when someone comes along and nail the top and the bottom in quick succession as evidenced by the lull we had witnessed between Mar 2nd to Mar 6th.

We all love to pile on people that f%^& up but feel inadequate and uncomfortable in the presence of something beyond comprehension and divine.

Who called a top on Mar 2nd and a bottom on Mar 6th?
I just scrolled back through the thread and couldn't find anything like that.

EDITED TO ADD:
Also, it looks like the market went up between Mar 2 and Mar 6, so if anyone did in fact call a top and then bottom they would have been wrong.  I assume I completely misunderstood what you meant.

Hi Mr.D
I am afraid of further jinxing, but hopefully all will be revealed, in time :)
fingers crossed.

It's been two months since that post now... so...how much more time do we need for all to be revealed?

Granted, calling something after it happens doesn't really take much insight.

I mean, I knew back at the start of March that the S&P would dip down a bit just to climb back up to spitting distance of where it was 2 months ago today, but I didn't want to jinx it by making the claim publicly beforehand.  Now that the danger of any jinxing has passed I can safely let you all in on my insights, however.

[/friendly sarcasm]

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2892 on: May 10, 2018, 08:56:39 AM »
Fear is back, VIX above 15, XIV breaking down. SPY to follow, earnings will be a reality check.

Fear is back, VIX above 15, XIV breaking down. SPY to follow, earnings will be a reality check.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2893 on: May 10, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
Somehow, my investment accounts have magically recovered all of their February losses, and my spreadsheet is showing new record highs day after day.  This correction doesn't feel nearly as threatening as I thought it would.

As it turns out, being a buyer during a downturn is pretty profitable.  Vive la top.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2894 on: May 10, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »
Somehow, my investment accounts have magically recovered all of their February losses, and my spreadsheet is showing new record highs day after day.  This correction doesn't feel nearly as threatening as I thought it would.

As it turns out, being a buyer during a downturn is pretty profitable.  Vive la top.
Sol, you are probably reading the chart wrong.  Cross conventional charts with a negative Y axis demonstrate that gains are impossible.  Only one fact remains.  Top is in... top is always in.

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #2895 on: May 10, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »

Incorrect.  You did not have February losses!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2896 on: May 10, 2018, 10:43:46 AM »

The imaginary portion of my investment account is at all time highs.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2897 on: May 10, 2018, 10:50:26 AM »

If I didn't have losses, then I haven't had gains either.  It's all paper funny money until you spend it.

In a way, virtually every penny I've ever invested has had 100% losses.  I put real money in, and got nothing back out.  I could have spent that money on real economic activity, but instead I gave it to vanguard or similar, and they gave it to someone who was selling.  That person made money, and I lost money.  And all I have to show for my losses is an arbitrary and ever growing tally of shares in a computer server somewhere, and the hope that I can someday trade those shares for real money.

Suddenly bitcoin seems a little less stupid, right?

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2898 on: May 10, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »
We all had February losses. We have losses every day from now on, because Top is in.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2899 on: May 10, 2018, 10:57:14 AM »

If I didn't have losses, then I haven't had gains either.  It's all paper funny money until you spend it.

In a way, virtually every penny I've ever invested has had 100% losses.  I put real money in, and got nothing back out.  I could have spent that money on real economic activity, but instead I gave it to vanguard or similar, and they gave it to someone who was selling.  That person made money, and I lost money.  And all I have to show for my losses is an arbitrary and ever growing tally of shares in a computer server somewhere, and the hope that I can someday trade those shares for real money.

Suddenly bitcoin seems a little less stupid, right?

You can point at expansions in companies you own shares in, and say that .00000001% of that money came from you, and they will be giving you back the profits from that.
Bitcoin....no idea. You bought a currency.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!