Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3139390 times)

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #2650 on: April 02, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »
S&P has broken through the 50 day MA and is heading for the 20. Godspeed, Mustachians!

The market rejected the 20 day moving average and slammed down hard (back to the 50DMA).

How often does the S&P 500 have a sharp correction and rebound making a sharp V bottom and then continue to climb like nothing happened?  Extremely rarely.  The correction isn't over yet.  It's the eye of the storm.
Like I said, the correction ain't over yet. ;)

Please start a thread when the bottom is in.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2651 on: April 02, 2018, 03:45:17 PM »
When the bottom is in, can we say:
Bot is in
?

retireatbirth

• Bristles
« Reply #2652 on: April 02, 2018, 04:03:31 PM »
Are we going to see the bear? That is the question.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2653 on: April 02, 2018, 05:45:51 PM »
Are we going to see the bear? That is the question.

Does this count as a bear?

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #2654 on: April 02, 2018, 06:10:02 PM »
As a fairly new Mustachian, and recently buying into simple investing etc and not trying to time the market, I have to admit I am disappointed I went along with it as I have done. I threw in the rest of my investment money in late Jan which seems like it will be the peak for some time now, and have basically been frustrated since. I know a couple of months is no time for many of you, but I would have preferred to have kept more cash on hand to play the volatility, as a couple of friends I have have done. One just made an easy $20k flipping SQ. I have read Bogleheads, I have read A Simple Path to Wealth, and I am reading the Millionaire next door. But as far as I am concerned, I am off to a horrible start. And I do not think things will end well in 2018, and have all this money invested in the hopes it is the right thing to do.

Now someone will gleefully post 'top is in' as a response to this, and maybe I deserve it. But I feel pretty disappointed and even a little angry about this. Ultimately its my own fault, I make my own decisions. I hope I am proven wrong.

@KTG, my new friend, welcome! 

Trader timeline is minutes to months; investor timeline, years to decades.  So yeah, the emotional roller coaster of listening to your old friends brag about their 20k volatility wins is the hardest part.  You gotta remember there's a little selection bias, though.  The friends who lost 20k are usually quieter than the ones who won.  Meanwhile every trade cost money, yadda yadda.

I hope I'm not distracting too much from the jokes that drive this thread to ever higher highs.  If you're investing new money from earnings every month, and the market would just stay low for a while, you could buy some more at cheaper prices.  Good luck.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread:  Obviously, the top really is in.  Now and forever.  Forever ever.  Thorstach will verify this shortly.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:12:47 PM by Bicycle_B »

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
  • Spending in the front, savings in the back.
« Reply #2655 on: April 02, 2018, 07:43:55 PM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2656 on: April 02, 2018, 09:16:48 PM »
Is sovereign the new thorstach?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2657 on: April 03, 2018, 12:56:28 AM »
As a fairly new Mustachian, and recently buying into simple investing etc and not trying to time the market, I have to admit I am disappointed I went along with it as I have done. I threw in the rest of my investment money in late Jan which seems like it will be the peak for some time now, and have basically been frustrated since. I know a couple of months is no time for many of you, but I would have preferred to have kept more cash on hand to play the volatility, as a couple of friends I have have done. One just made an easy $20k flipping SQ. I have read Bogleheads, I have read A Simple Path to Wealth, and I am reading the Millionaire next door. But as far as I am concerned, I am off to a horrible start. And I do not think things will end well in 2018, and have all this money invested in the hopes it is the right thing to do.

Now someone will gleefully post 'top is in' as a response to this, and maybe I deserve it. But I feel pretty disappointed and even a little angry about this. Ultimately its my own fault, I make my own decisions. I hope I am proven wrong.

@KTG, my new friend, welcome! 

Trader timeline is minutes to months; investor timeline, years to decades.  So yeah, the emotional roller coaster of listening to your old friends brag about their 20k volatility wins is the hardest part.  You gotta remember there's a little selection bias, though.  The friends who lost 20k are usually quieter than the ones who won.  Meanwhile every trade cost money, yadda yadda.

I hope I'm not distracting too much from the jokes that drive this thread to ever higher highs.  If you're investing new money from earnings every month, and the market would just stay low for a while, you could buy some more at cheaper prices.  Good luck.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread:  Obviously, the top really is in.  Now and forever.  Forever ever.  Thorstach will verify this shortly.

Clearly KTG is a relatively new investor and deserves an experienced Mustacian hand on the shoulder. I do sympathise as I remember the gut churning feeling right after I did exactly the same thing not so many years ago.

I am also one of those who can laugh at the fact that I must be what.. 2 full Teslas down from the peak of Jan, but thats easy for me to say with millions of bux sitting in my accounts.. and the same goes true for a lot of the people on this thread.

Basically this comes down to ones perspective of timelines as Bicycle B pointed out. In fact I would point out that the worst pullback in our lifetime has been the 2008 recession. A truely awful event where the economy was on the brink of collapse!

During that event we had a 55% pullback in the S&P and the economy had significant GDP contraction. But guess what? despite how bad that time was, if you had put your money in at the very peak.. You would be making money again 4.5 years later.

4.5 YEARS! you ask?.... yes but... We are in a very different place today. the economy is expanding, unemployment is at record lows which is a very different place to the peak of 2007.

Lets say though, that heck maybe we will have a similar pullback.. well you are going to be putting money into the market EVERY month, which means you are going to be buying stock cheaper, cheap and cheaper.. until the market turns around.. what happens then?

Those contributions thrown into what looked like a bottomless pit of doom will suddenly start showing significant returns.

I know it feels bad now, so turn off the news, automate your contributions and have a look at the end of the yeah.. Chances are you will be making money.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2658 on: April 03, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
I am trying. I am glad some of you realize how hard this is to do. Just frustrated I put so much in a 2018's peak.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2659 on: April 03, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »
I am trying. I am glad some of you realize how hard this is to do. Just frustrated I put so much in a 2018's peak.

It's a bit early to be calling 2018's peak.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2660 on: April 03, 2018, 09:31:53 AM »
Peak as of now!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2661 on: April 03, 2018, 10:13:50 AM »
I remember late in 2008, Warren Buffet was on TV.. I was licking my wounds having lost HALF of my investments.. I felt terrible!

WB was saying.. Stocks are CHEAP.. you should be buying like crazy right now... Last thing I wanted to hear to be honest.

But I thought well "F it".. I rolled all my bonds into stocks, fully maxed my contributions and well I have a job and a paid off house.. I will survive no matter.

The rest is history as they say.

What we have here in nothing more than a hiccup.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2662 on: April 03, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »
I remember late in 2008, Warren Buffet was on TV.. I was licking my wounds having lost HALF of my investments.. I felt terrible!

WB was saying.. Stocks are CHEAP.. you should be buying like crazy right now... Last thing I wanted to hear to be honest.

But I thought well "F it".. I rolled all my bonds into stocks, fully maxed my contributions and well I have a job and a paid off house.. I will survive no matter.

Are we really even to hiccup level yet?

I'm enjoying the sale while it lasts, though. 

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2663 on: April 03, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »
Peak as of now!
Don't let thorstach get to you.

In other words...

[youtube]LK8sxngSWaU[/youtube]

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2664 on: April 03, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »

For now, sure.  What about six months from now?  Every recession starts as a hiccup, right?

I am staying fully invested in my chosen asset allocation.  Having held it for a decade makes it easier to watch the paper losses, because it's just taking back some of the outrageous paper gains of the past few months.  If I had just dumped in cash in January, I might feel differently.

Except I wouldn't, because I had just started dumping in cash in 2008 and then watched half of it go up in smoke, and even then I felt more excitement at the opportunity to buy than dread at the losses. 

How many other things that you buy piss you off when they get cheaper?

High stock prices are good for sellers, like retirees.  Low stock prices are good for buyers, like working stiffs and especially early career working stiffs.  Which are you?  Anyone who is still buying should be thanking their lucky stars every time the market tanks, because that means you are on the right side of the current economic trend.  To a buyer, today's account balance is far less important than today's asking price.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2665 on: April 03, 2018, 11:16:32 AM »
If anyone wants a different vision, I switched over to Questrade in August 2017. (So my profit/loss counter starts there)

I'm still in profitable range at this point... that'll give you an idea of how high the market went last year that even with this dip, it hasn't caught up to summer 2017.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2666 on: April 03, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
The only reason I know there was a hiccup is because we track net worth monthly and it went down this month. Hah.

Guess we gotta save more to account for market swings now!

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2667 on: April 03, 2018, 11:57:06 AM »
In fact I would point out that the worst pullback in our lifetime has been the 2008 recession. A truly awful event where the economy was on the brink of collapse!

I think a lot of people have amnesia around how bad it actually was - it honestly felt like the entire banking industry was imploding. Lehman Brothers - 154-years-old - poof! It was scary in a way I hope to never experience again.

So I think a number of us who lived through that get a little slap-happy over a 10% dip or even a 20%-30% bear. It's been just So Much Worse. However, I do feel a lot of sympathy for KTG - it sucks getting in just when things start going south, it's really demoralizing. Unfortunately, the only thing that can grant perspective is time, and you just have to suffer through it. :-(

Come lean on our shoulders, and whistle past the graveyard with us. The sun will come up sooner than you think.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2668 on: April 03, 2018, 05:00:36 PM »
How many other things that you buy piss you off when they get cheaper?

Pretty much everything.  That's why I always check soon after a purchase to prove to myself that I was suckered and could've got it cheaper.   I'm a masochist that way. 

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2669 on: April 03, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »
I just checked my quarterly statement. Apparently I have lost $4.13 during the last three months. I’m guessing markets have been very boring and haven’t really done much. Did I miss anything exciting that happened?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2670 on: April 03, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »
You sure that decimal point is in the right place?..:)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2671 on: April 03, 2018, 06:17:32 PM »
You sure that decimal point is in the right place?..:)

I've lose 4.%13

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2672 on: April 03, 2018, 07:42:58 PM »

Yup.  Those of us who have seen and lived through a correction like that while having significant wealth, understand.  I had a $900k+ 401k hit close,to $1M while i was worth about 2M and ready to FIRE drop to $450k ish.

Having net worth drop by close to 7 figures is a testing experience.  It is easy to be cocky on line after a 10 year bull run, but hold on kids...

Holy cow!.. so your NW now must be like $6M?..:)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2673 on: April 03, 2018, 10:09:48 PM »

Yup.  Those of us who have seen and lived through a correction like that while having significant wealth, understand.  I had a $900k+ 401k hit close,to $1M while i was worth about 2M and ready to FIRE drop to $450k ish.

Having net worth drop by close to 7 figures is a testing experience.  It is easy to be cocky on line after a 10 year bull run, but hold on kids...

Nope, he went all in on beanie babies

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2674 on: April 04, 2018, 07:57:20 AM »

So like $30M?

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2675 on: April 04, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »

So like $30M?

I thought the top for Beanie babies was over 15 years ago!

If the they are still valuable I think my wife has a box of them in the basement... we could be rich. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2676 on: April 04, 2018, 09:21:11 AM »
Did you all see this thread made the "Best of..." list?

Sarcasm is attractive. Sarcasm is top.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2677 on: April 04, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »
Did you all see this thread made the "Best of..." list?

Sarcasm is attractive. Sarcasm is top.

Are you calling top sarcasm?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2678 on: April 04, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2680 on: April 05, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-05/crash-course-in-market-timing-shows-cost-of-being-wrong-at-tops

Awesome.  That article is just TheTopIsInTheTopIsInTheTopIsInTheTopIsIn for like three pages, broken up by some graphics.  Maybe they read the forum?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2681 on: April 05, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-05/crash-course-in-market-timing-shows-cost-of-being-wrong-at-tops

Awesome.  That article is just TheTopIsInTheTopIsInTheTopIsInTheTopIsIn for like three pages, broken up by some graphics.  Maybe they read the forum?
Given the activity on this forum thread (and threads like it) people who search ER and MMM probably encounter a lot of this and RED DOW.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #2682 on: April 05, 2018, 09:57:27 AM »
How about a top is in Bear Hug

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2683 on: April 05, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »
Is the mother of all bottoms in yet?

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #2684 on: April 05, 2018, 01:47:35 PM »
How does she keep having kids?

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2685 on: April 05, 2018, 08:27:04 PM »
Trump just announced another $100B in tariffs.... so that means something to the markets i guess

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2686 on: April 05, 2018, 08:51:30 PM »
Trump just announced another $100B in tariffs.... so that means something to the markets i guess

In the famous words of Rex Tillerson "top is in." No wait, the quote is Trump is a "fucking moron." Definitely one, maybe both are true.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2687 on: April 06, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »
How does she keep having kids?

The Top was in?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2688 on: April 06, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »
Just the top.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2689 on: April 06, 2018, 01:12:55 PM »
Just did a bit of rebalancing.

I'm out of money to invest =(

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
« Reply #2690 on: April 06, 2018, 05:16:44 PM »
Are we sure Thorstach isn't actually Trump?

Probably got frustrated calling the top and not being right, then decided to give the economy/market a "Trump Bump" off a cliff in order to actually be correct at calling a top.

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2691 on: April 06, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »
Just the top.

Just to see how it feels?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2692 on: April 06, 2018, 07:53:46 PM »

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
« Reply #2693 on: April 07, 2018, 10:05:59 AM »

So like $30M?

I thought the top for Beanie babies was over 15 years ago!

If the they are still valuable I think my wife has a box of them in the basement... we could be rich.

TOP IS NOT IN on beanie babies. They have experienced a local top (the past 15 years) and are poised for a breakout based on my technical analysis. Charts clearly show a reverse bear hug forming.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2694 on: April 07, 2018, 03:00:30 PM »
TOP IS NOT IN on beanie babies. They have experienced a local top (the past 15 years) and are poised for a breakout based on my technical analysis. Charts clearly show a reverse bear hug forming.

Reverse bear hug is already upon us, however we might struggle against it:

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2695 on: April 08, 2018, 01:48:38 AM »

The babies are all grown up, fool.  Beanie fogies are where the money is.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2696 on: April 09, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
Are we sure Thorstach isn't actually Trump?

Probably got frustrated calling the top and not being right, then decided to give the economy/market a "Trump Bump" off a cliff in order to actually be correct at calling a top.

Can't be, it would have gone something like

"Big news, MOST YUGE TOP of all the TOPS is in.  Sad.  Dems and Obama planned for years. Not covered by fake news media.  Sad. 

MrStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2697 on: April 09, 2018, 12:23:00 PM »
This thread will never end! Forever top!

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2698 on: April 09, 2018, 12:35:59 PM »
Yuge!

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2699 on: April 10, 2018, 11:45:32 AM »
Great news headline on Marketwatch: "Dow surges nearly 400 points, defying bearish sell signal - here's a theory as to why"

My first thought? "What's your theory - Technical Analysis is b.s.?"

Second thought was, of course - "Top is NOT in!"