Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3139037 times)

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #2500 on: March 09, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »
We had a ~20% pullback in 2016, that most people don't even remember. Do you remember a catastrophic Black Monday panic?

It was more like 10-11%, but yes I remember...I managed to dump my IRA contributions at the bottom! (Not by design, just when I had funds available).

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/buckle-up-folks/

^A 2016 version of "Top is in."

I love the bottom of the first page, someone is getting out and shorting the SP500 at around 2,000

OUCH!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2501 on: March 09, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »
We had a ~20% pullback in 2016, that most people don't even remember. Do you remember a catastrophic Black Monday panic?

It was more like 10-11%, but yes I remember...I managed to dump my IRA contributions at the bottom! (Not by design, just when I had funds available).

I love the bottom of the first page, someone is getting out and shorting the SP500 at around 2,000

OUCH!
Hope they didn't actually do that - if they actually shorted at 2040, which hit just about 1 month after that post, they'd have had to get out within 2-3 months just to more or less break even.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2502 on: March 09, 2018, 08:40:08 AM »
Hope they didn't actually do that - if they actually shorted at 2040, which hit just about 1 month after that post, they'd have had to get out within 2-3 months just to more or less break even.

I never bet against the market, even when I think it's tanking. 

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2503 on: March 09, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »
Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 07:20:26 AM »
I moved my 401k in late Aug from out of the market into safer bonds and for the year I am up a little.

Will move into stocks at a later date when I see market is ready.

No reason to see my 401k go down 40% and waste a year or two to just get back that 40%.

I have followed the market for years and know about trading and would not suggest this for most people.

Did he/she call the bottom correctly??

I get MPT and all that, but the bull market is over, and 'paper losses' are real folks. Yes I might miss gains before I get back into some VTI etc.. but it feels good to remember you can choose NOT to be in the market.

The bull market was over on Feb 18, 2016, folks.  Pack it up.

Because adding "new" money to the broad stock market at todays valuation offers less than 1% annual return over the next decade along with a double-digit potential drawdown. This is essentially risking dollars to make pennies. There are better opportunities right now other than the stock market, and that is where my money is headed.

There were/are better opportunities than the 44% ROI over the last 2 years.  Duh!

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/why-i-am-reducing-mkt-exposurehave-been-since-2015/

Why I am reducing mkt exposure+have been since 2015.
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:55:31 AM »

This guy called the top.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2504 on: March 09, 2018, 09:59:11 AM »

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2505 on: March 09, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »
This is the 2016 version of top is in:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/here-it-comes-red-dow/

Bah, only 7 pages, and a lot of that is actual information.  I didn't see any bacon. 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2506 on: March 09, 2018, 11:07:55 AM »

Bah, only 7 pages, and a lot of that is actual information.  I didn't see any bacon.

I'm just sad mrpercentage hasn't been on this board since September 2016, I'd love to get some updates on how his stock picks have been working out for him. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2507 on: March 09, 2018, 11:10:18 AM »

The world just wasn't ready for that yet

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #2508 on: March 09, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »
Yes, bring MR% back pl0x!  Entertaining little bugger.

dreadmoose

• Bristles
  • Compounding
« Reply #2509 on: March 09, 2018, 12:33:32 PM »
I'm just sad mrpercentage hasn't been on this board since September 2016, I'd love to get some updates on how his stock picks have been working out for him.

Unfortunately he had to sell his computer to cover some calls on his stock picks so we won't hear from him again.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2510 on: March 09, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
*Milton from Office Space voice*

Excuse me, I was told the top was in....

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #2511 on: March 09, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »

At the time I was bummed that thread was shut down because we were “piling on” but clearly there is some use to letting this sort of thing run.  There was some real bull-cockery going on with Mr. P and his stock picks that just begged for it.  That school yard scrum got broken up and is reconvening here.   The point has not been to grind good old thor into the ground as much as it serves to remind all readers of the silliness of calling the market. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2512 on: March 09, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »

At the time I was bummed that thread was shut down because we were “piling on” but clearly there is some use to letting this sort of thing run.  There was some real bull-cockery going on with Mr. P and his stock picks that just begged for it.  That school yard scrum got broken up and is reconvening here.   The point has not been to grind good old thor into the ground as much as it serves to remind all readers of the silliness of calling the market.

From what I read I don't think this thread is quite as mean-spirited as that one.   

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2513 on: March 09, 2018, 04:01:48 PM »
From what I read I don't think this thread is quite as mean-spirited as that one.

That may be because thorstach doesn't appear to be a serious poster actually engaging in financially destructive short trades.  I think he/she is a comedy sock puppet account for another forum member.

Mrpercentage also said the market was crashing, but he was independently a participant in the rest of the forum, he openly discussed the faulty reasoning behind his beliefs, and he offered specific trades he was making.  Thorstach doesn't seem to exist, except to show up on the worst day of the month and say "the top is in."

I would viciously tear into thorstach too, except it's all apparently in good fun. Because the top is in.

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2514 on: March 09, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »

I maintain my previous empirical observation that threads like this thrive on poorly timed market calls; however they wither when someone comes along and nail the top and the bottom in quick succession as evidenced by the lull we had witnessed between Mar 2nd to Mar 6th.

We all love to pile on people that f%^& up but feel inadequate and uncomfortable in the presence of something beyond comprehension and divine.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2515 on: March 09, 2018, 04:47:53 PM »

I maintain my previous empirical observation that threads like this thrive on poorly timed market calls; however they wither when someone comes along and nail the top and the bottom in quick succession as evidenced by the lull we had witnessed between Mar 2nd to Mar 6th.

We all love to pile on people that f%^& up but feel inadequate and uncomfortable in the presence of something beyond comprehension and divine.

You don't stare at the sun

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2516 on: March 09, 2018, 05:00:47 PM »
You don't stare at the sun

If you stare long into the abyss at sun, the abyss sun also stare at you.

we become what we love and hate.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2517 on: March 10, 2018, 09:24:36 AM »

Who called a top on Mar 2nd and a bottom on Mar 6th?
I just scrolled back through the thread and couldn't find anything like that.

EDITED TO ADD:
Also, it looks like the market went up between Mar 2 and Mar 6, so if anyone did in fact call a top and then bottom they would have been wrong.  I assume I completely misunderstood what you meant.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:29:26 AM by MrDelane »

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2518 on: March 10, 2018, 09:38:20 AM »
Why are people acknowledging that there could even possibly be a top?

Anyway, top is in.

anisotropy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2519 on: March 10, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »

EDITED TO ADD:
Also, it looks like the market went up between Mar 2 and Mar 6, so if anyone did in fact call a top and then bottom they would have been wrong.  I assume I completely misunderstood what you meant.

Hi Mr.D
I am afraid of further jinxing, but hopefully all will be revealed, in time :)
fingers crossed.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2520 on: March 10, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »
No top for you, come back in one month.

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
  • Spending in the front, savings in the back.
« Reply #2521 on: March 10, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »

Top is in.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2522 on: March 12, 2018, 06:47:32 AM »

That may be because thorstach doesn't appear to be a serious poster actually engaging in financially destructive short trades.  I think he/she is a comedy sock puppet account for another forum member.

Mrpercentage also said the market was crashing, but he was independently a participant in the rest of the forum, he openly discussed the faulty reasoning behind his beliefs, and he offered specific trades he was making.  Thorstach doesn't seem to exist, except to show up on the worst day of the month and say "the top is in."

I would viciously tear into thorstach too, except it's all apparently in good fun. Because the top is in.
Mrpercentage was odd, because he was very open about his risky behavior, but would occasionally mention that he was mostly in index funds.  It stood starkly in contrast with his constant advice to buy whatever stocks had done super well over the previous five to ten years.  He also couldn't get his head around the sunk cost fallacy.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2523 on: March 12, 2018, 10:02:39 AM »

ysette9 has one of the better posts in that thread, which I've seen others post similar in various threads as well.

If a 10% temporary correction throws your finances out of whack then you have the wrong asset allocation.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2524 on: March 12, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »

Perfect market timers do exist; Top is in! they're just completely invisible Top is in! like the air all around you. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:05:31 AM by dougules »

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #2525 on: March 12, 2018, 04:44:04 PM »
If the top was in and the market is going to crash time stack bacon deep

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #2526 on: March 12, 2018, 10:06:01 PM »

Edit: Top is in.
I know I'm late saying it but I still need to say this is a great summary of the thread. I want a poster too!

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #2527 on: March 13, 2018, 06:25:26 PM »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2528 on: March 13, 2018, 10:08:29 PM »

I know I'm late saying it but I still need to say this is a great summary of the thread. I want a poster too!

It's official, I've changed my profile picture to this

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #2529 on: March 13, 2018, 11:30:08 PM »
Schrödinger's bouncy cat riding bacon to the edge of the universe as it reaches for the top. That might be the best most top profile picture.

Toad

• Bristles
« Reply #2530 on: March 14, 2018, 01:10:34 AM »
After performing a rigorous analysis, I have determined without a doubt that...the top is in.  Attached please find irrefutable proof.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2531 on: March 14, 2018, 08:24:00 AM »

EDITED TO ADD:

Hi Mr.D
I am afraid of further jinxing, but hopefully all will be revealed, in time :)
fingers crossed.

Of course, when dealing with analytics it makes sense that 'jinxing' is of the utmost concern.
:)

I look forward to all being revealed.

Mr. Boh

• Stubble
« Reply #2532 on: March 14, 2018, 08:33:25 AM »

Brilliant!

I must admit that I'm a little bit sad and jealous that I didn't think of that.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2533 on: March 16, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »
Top?

(I think this thread might be running out of steam.)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2534 on: March 16, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »

Steaming to the TOP!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2535 on: March 16, 2018, 03:31:09 PM »

Steaming to the TOP!

Wrong!  All downhill from here!  Top is in!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2536 on: March 17, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »

Steaming to the TOP!

At least there is a solid floor?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2537 on: March 17, 2018, 07:28:41 PM »

You're obviously not thinking fourth dimensionally!

Top was in on November 5, 1955

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2538 on: March 17, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2539 on: March 17, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »
There you have it - we aren't melting up.  We're melting laterally.

You guys just aren’t thinking fourth dimensionally. We are melting through time

Great Scott!

Anyone else getting dèjá vu?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2540 on: March 17, 2018, 11:47:25 PM »
There you have it - we aren't melting up.  We're melting laterally.

You guys just aren’t thinking fourth dimensionally. We are melting through time

Great Scott!

Anyone else getting dèjá vu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PG5PCd284o

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2541 on: March 18, 2018, 06:44:40 AM »

Yeah, right, I always have a problem with that doc...

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2542 on: March 18, 2018, 09:08:41 AM »

Yeah, right, I always have a problem with that doc...

Whoa, this thread is getting heavy

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2543 on: March 18, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »

Is there something wrong with the Earth's gravitational pull when the top is in?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2544 on: March 18, 2018, 09:55:38 PM »

Is there something wrong with the Earth's gravitational pull when the top is in?

No no no.  But we need a top to generate the 1.21 jiggawatts of electricity I need

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2545 on: March 18, 2018, 11:07:33 PM »

No no no.  But we need a top to generate the 1.21 jiggawatts of electricity I need

When this thread hits 88 pages, you're going to see some serious shit

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2546 on: March 19, 2018, 05:18:23 AM »
In, top is.

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #2547 on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:11 AM »
In, top is.

Concur!  You correctly called the top for 3/19/2018.  I believe there will be a new top someday.  The new top may be tomorrow or some time way off in the future.  However, we could see the bottom tomorrow or at a long off future date.  Anyhow it looks like the US markets will be down more than one percent today.  I hope the trend continues until at least Friday so my paycheck can buy at a discount/sale price for my TSP!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:49:32 AM by aboatguy »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2548 on: March 19, 2018, 12:07:09 PM »
In, top is.

Concur!  You correctly called the top for 3/19/2018.  I believe there will be a new top someday.  The new top may be tomorrow or some time way off in the future.  However, we could see the bottom tomorrow or at a long off future date.  Anyhow it looks like the US markets will be down more than one percent today.  I hope the trend continues until at least Friday so my paycheck can buy at a discount/sale price for my TSP!

If the top is in, and you don't cash out, you'll regret it.  Maybe not today.  Maybe not tomorrow.  But soon, and for the rest of your life.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2549 on: March 19, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
If the top is in, and you don't cash out, you'll regret it.  Maybe not today.  Maybe not tomorrow.  But soon, and for the rest of your life.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!