Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 3194433 times)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
Re: Top is in
« Reply #9450 on: September 08, 2022, 01:35:30 PM »
Queen top is in.

Too soon.

Is it too soon to ask why the British monarchy is still a thing?

I haven't considered it a thing in quite some time...actually not sure I ever did.

You've clearly never naturalized in a commonwealth country.*

* - where you are required to swear allegiance to the monarch.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9451 on: September 08, 2022, 01:46:44 PM »
Queen top is in.

Too soon.

I haven't considered it a thing in quite some time...actually not sure I ever did.

Weird!  I've lived in Canada my whole life and have never sworn allegiance to a monarch . . . but apparently it's a requirement to become a citizen.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9452 on: September 08, 2022, 02:25:32 PM »
Queen top is in.

Too soon.

Weird!  I've lived in Canada my whole life and have never sworn allegiance to a monarch . . . but apparently it's a requirement to become a citizen.

I'm the same way. I was born a British citizen and never swore allegiance to the queen. But my best friend immigrated to Canada and did for citizenship. 

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9453 on: September 09, 2022, 01:56:59 AM »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9454 on: September 09, 2022, 06:25:17 AM »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9455 on: September 09, 2022, 07:07:01 AM »

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #9456 on: September 09, 2022, 07:07:14 AM »
Queen top is in.

Too soon.

I'm the same way. I was born a British citizen and never swore allegiance to the queen. But my best friend immigrated to Canada and did for citizenship.

I'll be doing this myself (to the king, I suppose) in a couple of years as part of the process of becoming a Canadian citizen.  In an absolute sense, I don't like the idea of swearing allegiance to a monarch, but in context I recognize this oath as being essentially meaningless.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9457 on: September 09, 2022, 09:03:02 AM »
I'm amused by all the Americans criticising UK for installing a 73-year old as their new head of state.

It's like they don't remember our last election between a 74-year old and a 77-year old!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9458 on: September 09, 2022, 09:15:27 AM »
I'm amused by all the Americans criticising UK for installing a 73-year old as their new head of state.

It's like they don't remember our last election between a 74-year old and a 77-year old!

Especially since the monarch has no real powers, whereas the US head of state can order nuclear strikes.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9459 on: September 09, 2022, 09:48:19 AM »
The only US President to order a nuclear attack on another country was in the calendar year of his sixty-first birthday. Imagine if a young, impulsive man in his forties--perhaps one with debilitating health challenges--were to be entrusted with the office and face a crisis!?!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9460 on: September 09, 2022, 10:02:18 AM »

Especially since the monarch has no real powers, whereas the US head of state can order nuclear strikes.

Anyone criticizing the 73 year old new king probably doesn't know much about UK and the political history of parliament.
The polarizing figure du jour is Liz Truss.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9461 on: September 09, 2022, 10:08:30 AM »
Is that a real billboard!?

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9462 on: September 09, 2022, 10:14:02 AM »

Is the top in on geriatric leaders?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9463 on: September 09, 2022, 10:20:02 AM »

That depends, is 2024 Biden v Trump 2?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9464 on: September 09, 2022, 10:27:41 AM »

Not quite. This 98 year old is still going strong. The local memes going around are comparing him to Highlander ("there can only be one" and all that).

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9465 on: September 09, 2022, 11:38:14 AM »

Not quite. This 98 year old is still going strong. The local memes going around are comparing him to Highlander ("there can only be one" and all that).

Geriatric leaders and their enablers like the 2 Chucks (Grassley and Schumer) need to get chucked out. Grassley is 90 next year, IIRC.
We need an age limit in all 3 branches. 67 max, then mandatory GTFO.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #9466 on: September 09, 2022, 12:02:03 PM »

Holy smokes! What a dramatic and turbulent life.

Many of his accomplishments seem to have been negative, like logging most of the country's forests, but quite a force. Hard to kill too, I guess.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9467 on: September 09, 2022, 12:56:36 PM »

Strictly speaking, I'm not sure that's true (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_of_the_British_Armed_Forces). In practice the UK head of state doesn't do much, but I'm not sure it is true that they couldn't if they tried.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9468 on: September 09, 2022, 01:08:18 PM »

Holy smokes! What a dramatic and turbulent life.

Many of his accomplishments seem to have been negative, like logging most of the country's forests, but quite a force. Hard to kill too, I guess.

Yep, he's about as sleazy as they come. Exceptional political survival skills, though.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9469 on: September 09, 2022, 01:16:55 PM »
Queen top is in.

Too soon.

Pretty much the same in the US.  If you are born here, you don’t have to swear anything.  To be naturalized you have to swear quite a long oath. 

Quick, someone tell me: what’s the difference between a civilian and a citizen?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9470 on: September 09, 2022, 01:35:24 PM »
Queen top is in.

Too soon.

Pretty much the same in the US.  If you are born here, you don’t have to swear anything.  To be naturalized you have to swear quite a long oath. 

Yea, but that pales in comparison to a Canadian citizen swearing allegiance to the UK head of state. That's just weird.

I'm of the firm belief that civilian is not well defined in the constitution and as such I choose to believe that it is anyone that isn't the the military.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9471 on: September 09, 2022, 02:43:34 PM »

Citizens belong to a particular country.  Civilians are citizens who aren't a part of a military or paramilitary group.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9472 on: September 09, 2022, 02:45:07 PM »
We need an age limit in all 3 branches. 67 max, then mandatory GTFO.

Hard disagree. Age has nothing to do with the uselessness of politicians.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9473 on: September 09, 2022, 03:42:35 PM »
Yea, but that pales in comparison to a Canadian citizen swearing allegiance to the UK head of state. That's just weird.

But they're not swearing allegiance to the UK head of state. They're swearing allegiance to the Canadian head of state, they just happen to be the same person. i.e. Queen Elizabeth II holds the separate titles of Queen of Canada as well as Queen of the UK and other places.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9474 on: September 09, 2022, 05:25:51 PM »

Citizens belong to a particular country.  Civilians are citizens who aren't a part of a military or paramilitary group.

Wrong

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9475 on: September 09, 2022, 09:48:26 PM »
Queen top is in.

Rave to this actually happening, I was driving and got a push notification from Apple on my iPhone that the queen had died and literally seconds later the classic rock station I was listening to started playing Another One Bites The Dust by Queen.  I like to think they knew exactly what they were doing. 

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9476 on: September 10, 2022, 12:54:13 AM »

But they're not swearing allegiance to the UK head of state. They're swearing allegiance to the Canadian head of state, they just happen to be the same person. i.e. Queen Elizabeth II holds the separate titles of Queen of Canada as well as Queen of the UK and other places.

Yes, the 15 commonwealth realms. You are technically correct, but all my Canadian friends IRL think that it is weird.

EDITed to add: "Queen Elizabeth II’s death could hasten efforts by some countries to reassess their relationship with the British Crown, and provide momentum to activists who have long argued that their nations shouldn’t have a foreign ruler as head of state." - WSJ: Queen Elizabeth II’s Death Could Jump-Start Efforts to Abolish Monarchy in Former British Colonies
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 10:00:38 AM by PDXTabs »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9477 on: September 13, 2022, 10:11:05 AM »
It's days like this that make me think the top might be in.

-3%

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9478 on: September 13, 2022, 10:33:14 AM »

-3%

Right?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9479 on: September 13, 2022, 11:16:08 AM »
FIRED folk vs. Accumulators:

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9480 on: September 13, 2022, 01:59:20 PM »

-3%

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9481 on: September 13, 2022, 02:29:40 PM »

Only if the drop lasts through our purchase days. I just need the market to keep taking a massive shit through Monday.

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #9482 on: September 13, 2022, 02:35:27 PM »

Only if the drop lasts through our purchase days. I just need the market to keep taking a massive shit through Monday.
Only if the FIRE'd have a heavy stock allocation AND are cashing stocks in for withdrawal AND have a lean portfolio. There could be nice opportunities for higher yielding fixed and later on, perhaps some good rental real estate buys if the housing market declines again.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9483 on: September 13, 2022, 02:45:04 PM »

-3%

Cranking the Ooofs up to 11

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9484 on: September 13, 2022, 03:11:00 PM »

-3%

If the Oofs reach 20 I am taking action. Of course the action I will take is to buy more equities. The money sitting in my 401k bond fund better not get too comfortable, it may end up in the SP500 fund with the 0.01% ER by the end of the week. At least some of it may have to, I have a chance at a rebalance band.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9485 on: September 13, 2022, 03:36:40 PM »
Only if the FIRE'd have a heavy stock allocation AND are cashing stocks in for withdrawal AND have a lean portfolio. There could be nice opportunities for higher yielding fixed and later on, perhaps some good rental real estate buys if the housing market declines again.

Bonds aren't doing very well either!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9486 on: September 13, 2022, 03:51:00 PM »

-3%

If the Oofs reach 20 I am taking action. Of course the action I will take is to buy more equities. The money sitting in my 401k bond fund better not get too comfortable, it may end up in the SP500 fund with the 0.01% ER by the end of the week. At least some of it may have to, I have a chance at a rebalance band.

Why would you buy equities if the top is in?

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9487 on: September 13, 2022, 03:56:25 PM »

-3%

I forgot to transfer money from my kid's savings account into their Roth IRA earlier this month and just did it last night. I went to place an order today and was pleasantly surprised to see the total market index fund had dropped 4.3%. They'll thank me in 45-50 years when they can access the money.

Also, I just increased my thrift savings plan contribution rate a couple of weeks ago so when I get paid for my National Guard drill this weekend, I'll be picking up some stocks on sale (though it could just as easily go back up in the week or two before I get paid).

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9488 on: September 13, 2022, 04:11:41 PM »

-3%

Ooofs above 15, markets breaking down, Top is In

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9489 on: September 13, 2022, 04:51:28 PM »

-3%

Why would you buy equities if the top is in?

Just giving up, fed up with this top being in. Partial capitulation…I can’t handle it.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9490 on: September 13, 2022, 05:58:14 PM »

-3%

OMG.....we are back to a month ago or 4 months ago or 18 months ago! 

But inflation adjusted its far worse though.   

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9491 on: September 14, 2022, 01:49:15 AM »
If you had FIRED on Monday with a 100% stock portfolio and planning on a vanilla 4% SWR to safely see you through.. your portfolio dropped the next day by your entire next year's allocated spending. Welcome to The Roaring Twenties.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9492 on: September 14, 2022, 07:21:01 AM »
If you had FIRED on Monday with a 100% stock portfolio and planning on a vanilla 4% SWR to safely see you through.. your portfolio dropped the next day by your entire next year's allocated spending. Welcome to The Roaring Twenties.
The nice thing is that you only lock in your 3% loss on the money you withdraw while it's still down :D

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9493 on: September 16, 2022, 09:13:36 AM »

My 401k buy is today. I also bought some more in my taxable brokerage. Maybe the top really was in, the market is never down on my 401k buy day. I guess my 401k buy isn't until market close, but I did get those ETFs locked in in my brokerage.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9494 on: September 16, 2022, 09:59:43 AM »

My 401k buy is today. I also bought some more in my taxable brokerage. Maybe the top really was in, the market is never down on my 401k buy day. I guess my 401k buy isn't until market close, but I did get those ETFs locked in in my brokerage.

My 401(k) buy is on the Monday after payday now which kind of sucks. I have all that money floating in limbo doing nothing for a few days. First world problems...

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9495 on: September 19, 2022, 02:07:53 PM »

My 401(k) buy is on the Monday after payday now which kind of sucks. I have all that money floating in limbo doing nothing for a few days. First world problems...

You got totally fucked.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9496 on: September 19, 2022, 02:46:42 PM »

You got totally fucked.

Yeah, the market's having its way with me today. I have to pay 0.69% premium.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9497 on: September 20, 2022, 09:53:28 PM »
Somehow the market always knows what day your 401k contribution is going in

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9498 on: September 21, 2022, 07:29:31 AM »

I thought I was the only one...my 401k purchase day is Wednesday, and I swear it's always after a big green day.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9499 on: September 21, 2022, 07:43:08 AM »

I thought I was the only one...my 401k purchase day is Wednesday, and I swear it's always after a big green day.

The market know when we buy, and it also seems to know when thorstash calls the Top. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!