Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 507747 times)

thorstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Top is in
« Reply #3150 on: July 27, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
Double GOAT MOAT is in

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3151 on: July 27, 2018, 10:58:37 AM »
DOUBLE Goat Moat!  This is it.  I hope everybody's bunkers are finished being built. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3152 on: July 27, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »
If the market crashes 200%, stocks would have a negative value.  Does that mean that people pay me to buy their stock?

Vanguard sends armed guards to your door and demands cash payments.  In return, you are allowed to continue owning stocks that are worth zero dollars.

Also known as margin

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3153 on: July 27, 2018, 08:42:53 PM »
Double GOAT MOAT is in
There's only one GOAT so there can't be a double.

Fake GOAT. Sad!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3154 on: July 28, 2018, 12:49:11 AM »
Double GOAT MOAT is in
There's only one GOAT so there can't be a double.

Fake GOAT. Sad!

The second goat was Bruce Willis the whole time

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3155 on: July 28, 2018, 08:22:46 AM »

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3156 on: July 28, 2018, 09:25:51 AM »
At the close of the market today, 600k will transfer from mostly aggressive funds to a money market fund for me.  I did pretty well in the 2008-9 crash (in hindsight, at one point, it looked like I'd gotten back in too early).  Just a fun experiment with, what I'm now convinced is very little downside.  The market needs to take a breather from this breathless sprint into ginormous headwinds...  but it'll be hard to know what to do even if the market corrects 20%!  Not really worried, I'm way ahead of schedule on retirement funds, so I can sit it out for a while either way, just more worried than optimistic at this point as the November mid-terms start to ramp up.  Good luck everyone!  Knowing when to invest, for me, is harder than knowing when to sell.
When my eyes are tired, I enlarge the screen on my reader,  to the point that I can't see who's posting. When I read this, I had to shrink the screen to see who it came from. I expected a newb, possibly even a troll-ish newb. To see it came from a respected MMM Forum contributor somehow makes me sad. My hope is that EV 2020 is only referring the portion of their portfolio that's "aggressive" and they still have a decent amount invested more moderately. I kinda doubt it, alas. Looks like that planned Escape might be losing its Velocity. Whatever else they have, it's still market timing. Boo-hoo.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3157 on: July 28, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »
Yes I took this to mean gambling with the "play money" i.e not a significant portion of the entire stash.

I can admit to similar feelings though... The P/E of the market is on the high end of historic valuations and even with some spectacular beats on quarterly earnings (Amazon) the market still tanked on Friday.. My God.. if the market tanks with such great news (GDP at 4.1%,we are the greatest, USA! USA...blah blah yawn) what is it going to do when news is not so great?

So while I know in my head that the great recession was only a 4 year event my heart feels like this is the right time reduce exposure.

The only reason I don't do something rash is because I know I absolutely suck at market timing.. But I sure feel the pull though.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #3158 on: July 28, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »
Based on EV2020's prior posts in this thread, I thought his post about "ginormous headwinds" was tongue in cheek. I imagine his 600,000 little green employees are chuckling on their way to the bank or whistling while they work or something. 

Then again, perhaps they are conspiring with Thorstach about How To Profit From the Coming Cataclysm...

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3159 on: July 28, 2018, 12:42:53 PM »
"Little green employees.. or soldiers". The thought of this metaphor makes me smile for sure..:)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3160 on: July 28, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »
At the close of the market today, 600k will transfer from mostly aggressive funds to a money market fund for me.  I did pretty well in the 2008-9 crash (in hindsight, at one point, it looked like I'd gotten back in too early).  Just a fun experiment with, what I'm now convinced is very little downside.  The market needs to take a breather from this breathless sprint into ginormous headwinds...  but it'll be hard to know what to do even if the market corrects 20%!  Not really worried, I'm way ahead of schedule on retirement funds, so I can sit it out for a while either way, just more worried than optimistic at this point as the November mid-terms start to ramp up.  Good luck everyone!  Knowing when to invest, for me, is harder than knowing when to sell.
When my eyes are tired, I enlarge the screen on my reader,  to the point that I can't see who's posting. When I read this, I had to shrink the screen to see who it came from. I expected a newb, possibly even a troll-ish newb. To see it came from a respected MMM Forum contributor somehow makes me sad. My hope is that EV 2020 is only referring the portion of their portfolio that's "aggressive" and they still have a decent amount invested more moderately. I kinda doubt it, alas. Looks like that planned Escape might be losing its Velocity. Whatever else they have, it's still market timing. Boo-hoo.

Haven't checked in much since I'm travelling.  Just to throw a little light on what I'm doing, I'm getting ready for an expat assignment which will take up a lot of my time and put me in a time zone where I don't want to have to worry about following my stache for the next year.  I still have the bulk of my net worth in diversified index funds (emerging market, international, domestic, and a smattering of intermediate term munis and TIPS). The 600k is from an old self-directed 401k (thus not a taxable transaction) and I just don't have time to come up with what I want to do.  Maybe they sit out a year while I make good money on my assignment and when I get back mid-2019 I have a clearer picture of what I want to do.  For whatever personal reason, adding more to my S&P500 index funds doesn't quite sound right and I don't want to kick myself for being over-exposed to the US.  Needless to say, I'm not going to be following US politics other than what the French perspective is.  I really don't have the time and energy to try to keep up as well as ramp up on a new project and there is little benefit to it since most coworkers could care less about the nuances of what is going on with Democrats and Republicans.

Maybe this is me being defensive, but I wanted to put up my decision here so that I stick to my guns and put more thought into what I am doing, not just flip flop back and forth jumping in and out of funds.  That is a guaranteed way to lose money, trying to outguess the market on a short-term basis.  With that said, if the market plunges, I'm not going to jump back in and if the market continues to push higher, I'll be grateful for still having some exposure.  Either way, this puts me at ease while the rest of my life gets a little more busy and stressful...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:47:28 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Stachless

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3161 on: July 28, 2018, 09:10:45 PM »
[bWith that said, if the market plunges, I'm not going to jump back in][/b]

It is your stache to do with as you see fit....but I don't get this part.  If you're not going to jump back in after the market plunges....when will you?

Best of luck on the new gig!!

Radagast

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3162 on: July 28, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »

Haven't checked in much since I'm travelling.  Just to throw a little light on what I'm doing, I'm getting ready for an expat assignment which will take up a lot of my time and put me in a time zone where I don't want to have to worry about following my stache for the next year.  I still have the bulk of my net worth in diversified index funds (emerging market, international, domestic, and a smattering of intermediate term munis and TIPS). The 600k is from an old self-directed 401k (thus not a taxable transaction) and I just don't have time to come up with what I want to do.  Maybe they sit out a year while I make good money on my assignment and when I get back mid-2019 I have a clearer picture of what I want to do.  For whatever personal reason, adding more to my S&P500 index funds doesn't quite sound right and I don't want to kick myself for being over-exposed to the US.  Needless to say, I'm not going to be following US politics other than what the French perspective is.  I really don't have the time and energy to try to keep up as well as ramp up on a new project and there is little benefit to it since most coworkers could care less about the nuances of what is going on with Democrats and Republicans.

Maybe this is me being defensive, but I wanted to put up my decision here so that I stick to my guns and put more thought into what I am doing, not just flip flop back and forth jumping in and out of funds.  That is a guaranteed way to lose money, trying to outguess the market on a short-term basis.  With that said, if the market plunges, I'm not going to jump back in and if the market continues to push higher, I'll be grateful for still having some exposure.  Either way, this puts me at ease while the rest of my life gets a little more busy and stressful...
via Imgflip Meme Generator

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3163 on: July 29, 2018, 12:33:24 AM »
[bWith that said, if the market plunges, I'm not going to jump back in][/b]

It is your stache to do with as you see fit....but I don't get this part.  If you're not going to jump back in after the market plunges....when will you?

Best of luck on the new gig!!

Like I said in the first post, I got back in too soon after the October 2008 plunge.  At the time, I only went 40% back in with my initial move but it got painful toward March 2009 when the real bargains were to be had and I only had a few hundred k instead of my full million.  Also, 600k is not 40% of my net worth this time around, so I have no problem keeping this on the sideline as dry powder.  Maybe I miss out on a 10% gain (60k), I'll still have that in extra savings from the extra work coming up.  Just looking at this move as another form of diversification. 

Plus, I'm not greedy, this account has done much better than expected.  I learned my lesson during the 1990's to put some outsized gains aside.  I had meant to sell some tech stocks and buy those 6% 30 yr bonds while I went back to school to start my Wall St. career (since I was such a genius at investing in tech stocks at the time).  All worked out fine although I lost a ton in the March 2000 tech collapse (CSCO, especially).  If only I'd held my AMZN tho!  Took those gains way too early, so I also get where you younger folks are coming from.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 12:35:49 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3164 on: July 31, 2018, 05:05:48 AM »
I liquidated everything and bought rubles.

вершина рынка здесь

in Soviet Russia, rubles buy you

In Soviet Russia, In is the Top

Yoda is Russian?

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3165 on: July 31, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »

вершина рынка здесь

Yoda is Russian?

In Soviet Russia, Russians are Yoda

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3166 on: July 31, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »

вершина рынка здесь

Yoda is Russian?

Or should I say

In Soviet Yoda, sentence is normal. 

DS

• Bristles
« Reply #3167 on: July 31, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »

вершина рынка здесь

Yoda is Russian?

Or should I say

May the Top be in you. ;)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3168 on: July 31, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »

вершина рынка здесь

Yoda is Russian?

Or should I say

May the Top be in you. ;)

Gross

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #3169 on: August 02, 2018, 06:24:55 PM »
https://banyanhill.com/exclusives/70-stock-market-crash-to-strike-august-1-economist-warns/?z=974344

70% crash in 6 days!!

August first came and went with hardly a wiggle.  Ho hum.

"Indeed, Bauman uses a lamb analogy to prove his points."

Oh my.  With the undeniable lamb analogy, how could he have been proven so decisively wrong?

Ah, I see now.  The link still has "august-1" in the URL, but the article has been edited to push his predicted slaughter fest out to September first.  Who cares about ethics when you can just hide the evidence of your past mistakes? Hahahaha.

I wonder if he has 12 different editions of his video, too; one for each month.  Eventually, he will be right.  And it will be that prediction that he shouts from the mountain tops as proof of his, ahem, "brilliance," to lure unsuspecting subscribers.

What a slimy scamming putz!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:21:50 PM by ILikeDividends »

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3170 on: August 02, 2018, 08:35:30 PM »
https://banyanhill.com/exclusives/70-stock-market-crash-to-strike-august-1-economist-warns/?z=974344

70% crash in 6 days!!

August first came and went with hardly a wiggle.  Ho hum.

"Indeed, Bauman uses a lamb analogy to prove his points."

Oh my.  With the undeniable lamb analogy, how could he have been proven so decisively wrong?

Ah, I see now.  The link still has "august-1" in the URL, but the article has been edited to push his predicted slaughter fest out to September first.  Who cares about ethics when you can just hide the evidence of your past mistakes? Hahahaha.

I wonder if he has 12 different editions of his video, too; one for each month.  Eventually, he will be right.  And it will be that prediction that he shouts from the mountain tops as proof of his, ahem, "brilliance," to lure unsuspecting subscribers.

What a slimy scamming putz!

This reminds me of a Parks And Recreation episode where the leader of a doomsday cult wanted to book the park for some end of the world ceremony for his followers on the day he's been telling everyone the world will end, they say sorry the park is booked that evening and the cult leader is like "oh, did I say this day? I meant one week from that day".
LOL

slow hand slow plan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Living the dream of Leaving the Dream
« Reply #3171 on: August 03, 2018, 12:16:19 PM »
Intraday Top Is IN.......... It could be the real top of tops at closing  .....

techwiz

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3172 on: August 03, 2018, 01:29:56 PM »

Should we roll the dice?

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #3173 on: August 03, 2018, 02:11:27 PM »
Since this thread has become a meme-fest, I thought some of you might enjoy this subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets

Some funny shit in there.  But, it is a complete WS gamblers thread.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3174 on: August 03, 2018, 06:03:39 PM »

Should we roll the dice?

Depends what is on the other faces

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3175 on: August 03, 2018, 09:12:02 PM »

Option, short, and panic.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3176 on: August 03, 2018, 09:54:14 PM »

Option, short, and panic.

I like those odds!

shinn497

• Stubble
« Reply #3177 on: August 05, 2018, 05:55:28 PM »
Just remember if you want to feel on top of the world. That is exactly where you are, since the world is a sphere.

It is also where the stock market is right now.

And the world is an oblate spheroid.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3178 on: August 05, 2018, 07:30:44 PM »
Just remember if you want to feel on top of the world. That is exactly where you are, since the world is a sphere.

So, what you are saying is the world is round, and markets are at the top, like the surface of the earth and if markets go flat, the earth will be flat. 

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #3179 on: August 06, 2018, 02:50:33 AM »

So, what you are saying is the world is round, and markets are at the top, like the surface of the earth and if markets go flat, the earth will be flat.

The earth isn't already flat? 

Terrestrial top is in!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:56:57 AM by ILikeDividends »

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3180 on: August 06, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »
The flat earth society has members around the globe!  Top is in.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #3181 on: August 06, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »

The only thing flat earthers have to fear...

is sphere itself...

slow hand slow plan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Living the dream of Leaving the Dream
« Reply #3182 on: August 06, 2018, 10:11:38 AM »
It seems flat up here to me.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3183 on: August 06, 2018, 11:11:27 AM »
A new top is in!
VTI just hit $147.02 going above the previous Jan 28, high of $146.86.
 It's about time!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3184 on: August 06, 2018, 04:21:57 PM »
A new top is in!
VTI just hit $147.02 going above the previous Jan 28, high of $146.86.
 It's about time!

No way!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3185 on: August 06, 2018, 04:25:25 PM »
Is anyone else running the data and seeing a TRIPLE GOAT MOAT on the horizon?  Fibonacci are dropping, and Mercury (retrograde) in Leo.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #3186 on: August 06, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »

is sphere itself...

Prior to reading this, my ego thought I was funny.  It has been flattened.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #3187 on: August 06, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »

is sphere itself...

Prior to reading this, my ego thought I was funny.  It has been flattened.

like the flat earth?

which begs the question. if the earth is truly round as some hypothesize, would not a falling sky actually be...contracting?

MrStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3188 on: August 07, 2018, 07:40:32 AM »
New top is about to set... As soon as it does, I'll be checking in here and be sure to bring popcorn!!

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3189 on: August 07, 2018, 02:03:18 PM »
Is anyone else running the data and seeing a TRIPLE GOAT MOAT on the horizon? 

Did you say... triple double GOAT?

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3190 on: August 07, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »
I look exactly like that guy.  Except I'm a middle aged white guy with no muscles and no tattoos.

ILikeDividends

• Bristles
« Reply #3191 on: August 07, 2018, 08:53:54 PM »
I look exactly like that guy.  Except I'm a middle aged white guy with no muscles and no tattoos.

I'm exactly like you and him too; except I'm pretty well past middle age, and I'm not entirely sure what a basketball is used for.

dbm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3192 on: August 07, 2018, 10:47:42 PM »
Even though this conversation is no longer about the fact the top is or isn't in, which sounds so wrong, I'm saying the top is about to be in.

Only due to the fact I sold an investment property and over the next week will be buying a few big whacks of ETF's, and LIC's...  Once these are done, knowing my luck the top is in and down we go...

aboatguy

• Stubble
« Reply #3193 on: August 08, 2018, 07:15:02 AM »
The new top is almost in...?

Brother Esau

• Bristles
« Reply #3194 on: August 08, 2018, 09:57:45 AM »
...  Once these are done, knowing my luck the top is in and down we go...

Thanks for ruining the party

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Financial Velociraptor
« Reply #3195 on: August 08, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »
Even though this conversation is no longer about the fact the top is or isn't in, which sounds so wrong, I'm saying the top is about to be in.

Only due to the fact I sold an investment property and over the next week will be buying a few big whacks of ETF's, and LIC's...  Once these are done, knowing my luck the top is in and down we go...

Infamous "dbm indicator" flashing red!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3196 on: August 09, 2018, 10:06:10 AM »

Dbm indicator has been obsolete for years.  Most traders use at least modified DBM or the more controversial DBM II

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3197 on: August 09, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »
I'm ready for the next GOAT to swim through.  The stock is too damn high.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3198 on: August 09, 2018, 11:02:01 AM »

Dbm indicator has been obsolete for years.  Most traders use at least modified DBM or the more controversial DBM II

To be serious for a moment, I'd like to point out that this perfectly captures the 2 ideas that drive the idea that the market can be beat.  First, the idea that there are "insider" bits of knowledge that give you a leg up.  The second is that other people (the insiders) know what it is and are using to make a KILLING!!

I'd like to point out that neither of these ideas are actually true.

markbike528CBX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3199 on: August 09, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »
The TOP must be in, or the 1st post-FIRE withdrawal I made on Tuesday has no meaning.