Author Topic: Top is in  (Read 338828 times)

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
Re: Top is in
« Reply #2850 on: May 04, 2018, 09:38:17 AM »
Why?  Markets up yo.  Pop champagne

Yeah I must look pretty dumb. I looked like we were going to have a terrible day.

But I am still not where I was before the correction!

Consider taking a couple steps back from the ledge.

(1)  The S&P 500 is less than 10% off it's all-time high.  Say that again slowly--the S&P 500 is less than 10% off it's all-time high.

(2)  You want the market to go down each and every day if you're still investing.  (Well, even better if it drops 90% tomorrow.)   You want to buy stock as cheaply as possible.  Aren't you still investing?  (If your response is yes, but I wished I had market timed the last investment better, nobody here can help you.)

(3)  How much do you have in the market that 10% is critical to your life?  Especially 10% in unrealized "losses"?  It's likely not a huge amount because if you have a lot in the market, it's because you understand how the market works and you've learned to deal with the anxiety.  If you don't have a ton in there (yet!), relax.  Your life isn't going to come down to $10k.

Keep investing, and have some confidence in numbers and history.  And maybe stop checking the markets.  It's not helping!

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
« Reply #2851 on: May 04, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »
Draedel is in.

PathtoFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #2852 on: May 04, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »
Those guys aren't really the "Star Wars" type.  More like Casablanca.

Talkies are overrated

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2853 on: May 04, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »
I am getting so angry. Maybe I am just not cut out for this.

Market timing is the path to the dark side...
That was hilarious. You should troll around for a reason to post it on bogleheads, its hilarity would be grealy magnified by the large relative hilarity differential.

Nah, I troll enough around these forums, I'd better not increase my forum postings for my free times sake. 

techwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #2854 on: May 04, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »
Market timing is the path to the dark side...

The dark side is strong with Thorstach

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2855 on: May 04, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
Red light saber = markets down = top is in

Green light saber = markets up.  A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

techwiz

• Bristles
« Reply #2856 on: May 04, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »

Even Yoda can't tell if the top is in!

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2857 on: May 04, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2858 on: May 04, 2018, 01:50:11 PM »

Suckers bail when the market drops.  Ballers double down and get rich.  Which will you be?
Frugalite in training.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #2859 on: May 04, 2018, 02:16:02 PM »

Thanks guys, you are always quick to jump in and offer support. But I really want to throw my desk out the five story window.

So many feelings.  Painful, eh?

Sorry about that.  Good job for not throwing out the desk, though.  Same for not throwing out your stock allocation.

But I am still not where I was before the correction!

So?  You're not supposed to win that fast.

More empathetically:  KTG, it does in fact delight me that you check in with us and are holding the course.  It is concerning to hear how difficult this is for now.  I hope the feelings re market moves calm down soon.  You can do the right thing (which is nothing, as you now well know) regardless, but I feel for you.

You need a new measuring stick for success.  Whether the market is up or down in the few months since you invested your main chunk of change is irrelevant.  That's money with a long term measurement period, so only long term measurements are relevant.  You won't have any long term measurements for 5 or 10 years or so.  Until then, may I suggest:

1. Any day you left your investments alone is a win.  You may celebrate with one victory dance, or a gleeful remark in an appropriate thread or journal. 
2. Any day you added more savings to your investments according to your wise investment plan is an even bigger win.  Two victory dances or gleeful remarks.
3. Your worth as a person is not related to whether the market went up since the particular day you made an investment.
4. Your dignity and brilliance as an investor is not related o whether the market went up since the particular day you made an investment.
5. Until you find a more entertaining replacement for pondering whether the Mr. Market has gratified your urge to find self worth as The Investor Whose Stock Went Up, you may consider yourself the Michael Jordan of investing for having left your money alone after dropping a reasonable portion into a reasonable equity investment. 
6.  Assuming you are still saving, maybe focus on tracking the amount of new money invested.
7.  I think a lot of people find more peace by establishing a long term plan ("reaching FI takes me 9 more years, assuming I keep investing 50% of take pay") and monitoring success with meeting that goal.  What FIRE-creating actions are you taking?
8.  At least by doing 7, you can find subgoals that you can control, such as savings %, whether you performed responsibly today in area X that you identified as the key next step, and so on.

TL;DR - Find a goal you can control.  Focus on that so the stocks have time to mature without interference.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2860 on: May 04, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »
I know this has been said before KTG, but you really seem like a good candidate for a bond-heavy portfolio. Your asset allocation should be a function of both your investing horizon and your volatility tolerance.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #2861 on: May 04, 2018, 03:18:57 PM »
Hey @KTG

I found MMM back in 2012.   We upped our savings rate dramatically and started investing like crazy.

And I'm a spreadsheet nerd.

I made many different spreadsheets to help me figure out what our FIRE income needed to be and others that helped me plan on when I would reach FI.

Here's the one thing that they all had in common.

I did not include any projected returns during my pre-FIRE period.   I assumed that the investments would keep pace with inflation, just to simplify things.

I didn't look at most of our actual investment account balances more than once a year after setting up the initial spreadsheet with the starting balances.  I would update our current balances in the spreadsheet and then not look at them again for another year.

That way, instead of worrying a whole lot, I was always happy with where I was, because I was either on target or ahead of target.

You might want to try something similar.

And also remember that we're likely near the end of a bull market and you aren't FIRED yet.  So the absolute best thing that could happen for you would be to have stock prices drop 30-40% and stay that way for a few years while you pour more money into stocks.  You should actually be upset when prices are going up while you're still early in the accumulation phase of FIRE.

maizeman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2862 on: May 04, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »
I know this has been said before KTG, but you really seem like a good candidate for a bond-heavy portfolio. Your asset allocation should be a function of both your investing horizon and your volatility tolerance.

While I agree with the second sentence, I'd argue that long term you'll be a lot better off if you can adjust your volatility tolerance to match the asset allocation (selected based on what makes sense for your investing horizon), instead of adjusting your asset allocation to match your volatility tolerance.

Now if you've tried a bunch of the other approaches proposed in this thread and you're still not sleeping well at night -- or still struggling with the urge to throw things out windows -- then by all means go long bonds. But it's often surprisingly easy to change the way you think about things instead.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2863 on: May 04, 2018, 07:39:59 PM »

While I agree with the second sentence, I'd argue that long term you'll be a lot better off if you can adjust your volatility tolerance to match the asset allocation (selected based on what makes sense for your investing horizon), instead of adjusting your asset allocation to match your volatility tolerance.

Now if you've tried a bunch of the other approaches proposed in this thread and you're still not sleeping well at night -- or still struggling with the urge to throw things out windows -- then by all means go long bonds. But it's often surprisingly easy to change the way you think about things instead.

Right. I only posted that after he was still struggling with the urge to throw things out the window in response to relatively mild market turbulence. This despite participating in a thread that is 58 pages of market timing mockery in the midst of a historic market run up. So I guess I stand by both sentences in my post.

aboatguy

• Stubble
« Reply #2864 on: May 05, 2018, 07:04:58 AM »

Suckers bail when the market drops.  Ballers double down and get rich.  Which will you be?
Not a sucker nor a baller
I'm a boatguy so I stay the course

shinn497

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2865 on: May 05, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »
Since this thread started, the SP500 rose 30%.

Yeah. This is why you don't time.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2866 on: May 05, 2018, 10:49:06 PM »
Since this thread started, the SP500 rose 30%.

Technically I think it rose 40%, then dropped 10%.  I'm rounding, obviously, but the market performance during the life of this thread has been truly remarkable in a way that I feel almost justifies the amount of derision it has received.

shinn497

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2867 on: May 06, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
I think this thread just shows that peoples' emotions are irrational. The market always goes up. It swings around a bit, but always goes up in the end. But hey man, I am all for people being stupid and fearful. They'll put stocks on sale for me.

Man investing has turned me into a bit of an evil misanthrope. LWhen people think the sky is falling I just laugh and buy more stock. And then I hope it gets worse.

swashbucklinstache

• Stubble
« Reply #2868 on: May 06, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
I think this thread just shows that peoples' emotions are irrational. The market always goes up. It swings around a bit, but always goes up in the end. But hey man, I am all for people being stupid and fearful. They'll put stocks on sale for me.

Man investing has turned me into a bit of an evil misanthrope. LWhen people think the sky is falling I just laugh and buy more stock. And then I hope it gets worse.

Man top is in
hey hey

Savin' like i got a cape on

My journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/me

Google Fi referral link: https://g.co/fi/r/CUU86H

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2869 on: May 06, 2018, 12:09:58 PM »

Man top is in

Manvesting?

Brother Esau

• Stubble
« Reply #2870 on: May 06, 2018, 03:42:13 PM »
Jeebus, just when you think it's over....

C-note

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2871 on: May 06, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »
Jeebus, just when you think it's over....

It will never be over.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2872 on: May 07, 2018, 10:20:35 AM »

Man top is in

Manvesting?

I definitely like when a skimpy top is in.  Please keep more memes like this one coming.   

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2873 on: May 07, 2018, 11:03:58 AM »
The Chase Trifecta:
Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points with Chase Sapphire Preferred - $4k spend in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/2MOVOLZCEJ
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/18/ENYF0FTS66
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/DBOP9XI9XT

Southwest Cards - Earn 50k miles for $2k spend in 3 months.
Premier -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/224/JY2BMSDZJ2
Plus -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/223/F3ZW8H140N

Recommended Cell Service - Google's Project Fi: https://g.co/fi/r/THK0WX

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2874 on: May 07, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trapped-stock-market-purgatory-153906883.html

Purgatory is in.

From 1999 to 2015, Durango Mountain Resort was in.  Now we're back to Purgatory.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2875 on: May 08, 2018, 07:10:06 AM »
As usual, thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I am very sure I will freak out or get pissy again at some point so bear with me. I only signed on to this methodology at the beginning of the year (even though I have been investing for longer). So I am still trying to adjust I guess.

My friend did send me this: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/07/warren-buffett-10000-invested-in-an-index-fund-when-i-bought-my-first-stock-in-1942-would-be-worth-51-million-today.html

Pretty amazing isn't just the dollar amount, but what occurred during that time frame:
Since that time, Buffett said that Americans have seen 14 U.S. presidents, a world war, 9/11 and the Cuban Missile Crisis. "The only thing you had to believe in [1942] is that America would win the war and that America would progress as it has ever since 1776," he said. "The headlines were terrible every day."

Maybe if I was up more and had more of a cushion like some of you long terms have, it would be easier for me. Who knows, maybe if all goes well, I don't carry on like this next year.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #2876 on: May 08, 2018, 07:57:59 AM »
As usual, thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I am very sure I will freak out or get pissy again at some point so bear with me. I only signed on to this methodology at the beginning of the year (even though I have been investing for longer). So I am still trying to adjust I guess.

My friend did send me this: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/07/warren-buffett-10000-invested-in-an-index-fund-when-i-bought-my-first-stock-in-1942-would-be-worth-51-million-today.html

Pretty amazing isn't just the dollar amount, but what occurred during that time frame:
Since that time, Buffett said that Americans have seen 14 U.S. presidents, a world war, 9/11 and the Cuban Missile Crisis. "The only thing you had to believe in [1942] is that America would win the war and that America would progress as it has ever since 1776," he said. "The headlines were terrible every day."

Maybe if I was up more and had more of a cushion like some of you long terms have, it would be easier for me. Who knows, maybe if all goes well, I don't carry on like this next year.

I was right there with you until those last two sentences.   I don't think you're getting it yet.

You're not planning on retiring in the next couple of years, correct?   Assuming that I remember that correctly, please answer these questions:

1)  How does your life change over the next year if the stock market goes up 50% this year?

2)  How does your life change over the next year if the stock market goes down 50% this year?

3)  Will you be better off if the market goes up 50% this year or drops 20% right away and stays that way for the rest of the year?

==== Correct answers are below ======

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2877 on: May 08, 2018, 08:32:06 AM »

I was right there with you until those last two sentences.   I don't think you're getting it yet.

You're not planning on retiring in the next couple of years, correct?   Assuming that I remember that correctly, please answer these questions:

1)  How does your life change over the next year if the stock market goes up 50% this year?

2)  How does your life change over the next year if the stock market goes down 50% this year?

3)  Will you be better off if the market goes up 50% this year or drops 20% right away and stays that way for the rest of the year?

I was interpreting KTG's comment as meaning that the exercise of keeping in the market and buying into the market more will mean that swings are less painful.  I will say that a 10% swing now bothers me less than a 3% swing did when I had very little money in the market.  I'm just used to not paying attention.  However, it took me a little while to get there.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2878 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »

No I am not retiring for some time, however, in scenario 1) I'd feel like a stud, in 2) I'd feel like an idiot, and 3) I will either feel a lot better about myself if the 50% happens or worse if the 20% drop happens.

I know you will say all this is nonsense.

What is interesting I guess its because I injected a lot of cash into VTI. I am no where near as emotional about the 401k volatility. Maybe because the money is kind of locked there, and I have no plan to withdraw. I guess with the cash purchase, much of it coming from gains in individual stocks, I am more emotional about it because its a lot easier to sell.

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2879 on: May 08, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »
Net worth does not equal self worth. 

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2880 on: May 08, 2018, 09:58:47 AM »
KTG, I'm not sure if you've read this one from MMM from back in Feb, 2016, but it's a good read and was the main thing that helped me change my thinking (and fear-of) investing. 

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/02/29/what-to-do-about-this-scary-stock-market/

Brother Esau

• Stubble
« Reply #2881 on: May 08, 2018, 10:07:41 AM »

Neither

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2882 on: May 08, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »
No I am not retiring for some time, however, in scenario 1) I'd feel like a stud, in 2) I'd feel like an idiot, and 3) I will either feel a lot better about myself if the 50% happens or worse if the 20% drop happens.

I know you will say all this is nonsense.

What is interesting I guess its because I injected a lot of cash into VTI. I am no where near as emotional about the 401k volatility. Maybe because the money is kind of locked there, and I have no plan to withdraw. I guess with the cash purchase, much of it coming from gains in individual stocks, I am more emotional about it because its a lot easier to sell.

It's not "all nonsense".  The emotional side is hard to deal with.  But what are your options?  Take the $$ out?  And put it where?  Nothing else is guaranteed to do better (although some are guaranteed to do worse, by design). 

And, the other thing to consider - how big of a chump will you feel like, if you take it out now and the S&P roars past 3000 in a year? 
Frugalite in training.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2883 on: May 08, 2018, 10:58:04 AM »
Put the phrase "top is in" into Google. 

hadabeardonce

• Stubble
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
    • My Journal
« Reply #2884 on: May 08, 2018, 11:05:04 AM »
The "top is in" thread top is in.
Standard advice: Read "Your Money or Your Life" and "A Random Walk Down Wall Street"
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/had-a-beard-once's-mustachianismishticness-journey/

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2885 on: May 08, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »
2nd hit is - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-the-big-top-is-already-in-for-this-stock-market-2016-05-24

Why the ‘big top’ is already in for this stock market
Published: May 24, 2016 9:04 a.m. ET
The Chase Trifecta:
Earn 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points with Chase Sapphire Preferred - $4k spend in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/2MOVOLZCEJ
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom Unlimited - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/18/ENYF0FTS66
Earn a $150 bonus with Chase Freedom - only $500 spend needed in 3 months.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/DBOP9XI9XT

Southwest Cards - Earn 50k miles for $2k spend in 3 months.
Premier -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/224/JY2BMSDZJ2
Plus -
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/223/F3ZW8H140N

Recommended Cell Service - Google's Project Fi: https://g.co/fi/r/THK0WX

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2886 on: May 08, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »
KTG, I'm not sure if you've read this one from MMM from back in Feb, 2016, but it's a good read and was the main thing that helped me change my thinking (and fear-of) investing. 

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/02/29/what-to-do-about-this-scary-stock-market/

Man, I swear. every time I read something that has to do with settling my nerves my mind pops. Just can't handle it. Especially when I see the date it was written. I don't know what I am so doom and gloom about this. Many, many others have done it and done well with it. I just need to shut the f up.

And it wasn't my intent to just cash out of the market. I meant be more active in trading.

(I can see peeps reaching for something to throw at me now)

Oh no more. Will shut up for at least the rest of the week.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2887 on: May 08, 2018, 11:39:00 AM »

Man, I swear. every time I read something that has to do with settling my nerves my mind pops. Just can't handle it. Especially when I see the date it was written. I don't know what I am so doom and gloom about this. Many, many others have done it and done well with it. I just need to shut the f up.

And it wasn't my intent to just cash out of the market. I meant be more active in trading.

I would seriously reconsider active trading.  If you think passive index investing is stressful, its NOTHING compared to active trading. 
Frugalite in training.

Dabnasty

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2888 on: May 08, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »

Aww. I want that compounding interest.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2889 on: May 08, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »

I would seriously reconsider active trading.  If you think passive index investing is stressful, its NOTHING compared to active trading.
KTG + eTrade + day trading = what could go wrong?  Suggest starting out with something simple and easy to follow, like emerging market junior subordinated debt instruments.

Day trade top is in.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2890 on: May 08, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »
I did make a lot of money buying individual stocks!

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2891 on: May 08, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »
KTG, I don't mean to pick on you here.  Most here are buy and hold investors who use broad index funds for that purpose.

Some here are active stock pickers and I expect there are some day traders too. They might strike it rich and be hugely successful.

I'm not looking to beat the market. I just want to match it.

dougules

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2892 on: May 08, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »

Pretty much everybody's made a lot of "money"* because the market's way up.  And then plenty of people will beat the index** because a certain number of people have to be above average just because of math.  Just ask yourself if you smarter than millions of brilliant people who do it for a living, though.

If you still think you can consistently beat the index, I wouldn't stick around on this thread.  There will be no mercy here. 

*"Money" is not the right word unless it's dividends or you have already sold.
**You cannot beat the market because you are the market. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2893 on: May 08, 2018, 03:10:52 PM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2894 on: May 08, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »
The "top is in" thread top is in.

Google does tend to curate results based on your browsing history

But in this case incognito mode got the same result

Top is in for google

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2895 on: May 08, 2018, 03:13:44 PM »

)  Will you be better off if the market goes up 50% this year or drops 20% right away and stays that way for the rest of the year?

For some people, +/- 50% is the difference between FIRE and SWLAC (still working like a chump)

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #2896 on: May 09, 2018, 11:03:52 AM »
EVERYONE RELAX... I am in the green again.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2897 on: May 09, 2018, 11:38:01 AM »

Green like positive return on investment, green?  Or green like you just got so angry you turned into the Hulk and threw a desk out the window, green?  :)

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2898 on: May 09, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »

Why'd you even look?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2899 on: May 09, 2018, 11:51:25 AM »
Come on S&P.. 2700... yes please..:)

We should break a few more agreements we have made around the globe!