Author Topic: Hello - looking for advice  (Read 1455 times)

ATLInvestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello - looking for advice
« on: October 29, 2018, 07:51:44 AM »
Hello,

I'm looking for advice.. I am in my early thirties... recently FIRE.

I have a pretty good stash ... enough to live off of 3.5 to 4% dividends more than likely for my life.. as long as the dividend payouts keep up with inflation.  Definitely enough to live off of just the dividend income right now and for the well foreseeable future.

Over this last 7-8% downturn I have watched a lot of the dividend stocks not lose anywhere close to that.  I have some funds in Betterment and I've just watched the portfolio tank as opposed to my dividend portfolio which hasn't lost that much. 

I am feeling like if I really want to live a good life the next 10-20 years I need something that is consistent.  I have a hard time dealing with huge downturns.  I just feel like I didn't FIRE to deal with the stress of big market swings.

My question is, if you were in my position would you build a dividend portfolio, buy a high dividend yield ETF, or just throw it all in VTI and take out roughly 3.5% per year?

I also saw a very interesting high dividend fund last night, RDIV... it seems to be yielding 5%+ and I am looking at the top holdings and they seem like household names.   Any comments about that fund would be appreciated as well.

I do have 2 years in living expenses stashed away in a high yield savings accounts at 2%.

Thanks for all the help and advice, I really respect this forum and the movement that has been created here

Happy Monday =)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:08:19 AM by ATLInvestor »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: test
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »
oeueo
Edit: since you edited your post now I look like a dick...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:28:26 AM by RWD »

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
Re: Hello - looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:07:32 AM »
Dividend investing has not been shown to be any better in the long run than normal Index Fund investing. In fact, the opposite is true.

Feel free to search the forum for "Dividend Investing", and you'll see the entire argument play though multiple times.

Best of luck,

JGS

P.S. -look up the Bogleheads website, you'll get even more input into this there

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »
I'd go with a basic broad index fund.  Since it sounds like you struggle with volatility, you might consider adding a healthy % of bonds (or a bond fund) as part of your allocation.  .

RWD

• Walrus Stache

ATLInvestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: test
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 08:14:07 PM »
Thank you for all the replies so far!

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
Did the advice change your mind at all?