Author Topic: Tax loss harvesting - avoiding wash sale  (Read 1699 times)

joninnyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tax loss harvesting - avoiding wash sale
« on: December 01, 2018, 02:55:16 PM »
Hey, I've got shares in VTI and VEU that I want to sell and get some sweet capital losses to reduce my income for the year. Anyone have suggestions of similar ETFs that track different indexes to avoid a wash sale?

jacoavluha

• Bristles
Re: Tax loss harvesting - avoiding wash sale
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 05:11:58 PM »
VOO or SCHZ
VXUS or 85/15 VEA+VWO

appleshampooid

• Bristles
  • Relentless Snacker
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 07:41:29 PM »
VOO or SCHZ
VXUS or 85/15 VEA+VWO
I think you mean SCHB for the Schwab equivalent to VTI? That's their broad-market fund
VXUS is a good partner for VEU. I just swapped VTIAX for VFWAX (same exact thing you will be doing if you use VXUS, just on the fund side of it).

joninnyc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 08:31:49 PM »
VOO or SCHZ
VXUS or 85/15 VEA+VWO
I think you mean SCHB for the Schwab equivalent to VTI? That's their broad-market fund
VXUS is a good partner for VEU. I just swapped VTIAX for VFWAX (same exact thing you will be doing if you use VXUS, just on the fund side of it).

This all makes sense - thanks for the quick answers, very helpful! Maybe we could even build some sort of Wiki/resource that matches similar funds for people taking losses for the year?

jacoavluha

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:13:55 PM »
VOO or SCHZ
VXUS or 85/15 VEA+VWO

yep SCHB sorry you’re right