Author Topic: Income Funds?  (Read 1914 times)

PBandJelli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Income Funds?
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:48:03 AM »
I see lots of recommendations for total market index funds, but for those of you who are FIRE'd how do you get to 4%?  Do you use income funds?  The total market funds I see named here only spit off 1.5-1.9 percent in dividends.

Newbie here...sorry for the silly question.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:29:44 PM by PBandJelli »

Rob_bob

• Bristles
Re: Income Funds?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
Not fired but you sell shares in addition to the dividend to get the 4%.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 05:21:51 AM »
I had that question too, here's a case study that was done on my situation by Early Retirement Now:

https://earlyretirementnow.com/2018/01/10/ask-big-ern-a-safe-withdrawal-rate-case-study-for-mr-and-mrs-shirts/

The long answer is:

- Dividends plus sales from the taxable account
- Slow conversions out of my IRA to Roth IRA
- Withdraw Roth Conversions.

I do own 10%+ in Real Estate Investment Trusts, the two I own pay 6% and 7.4% out in monthly dividends. 

PBandJelli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 06:46:29 AM »
Super helpful, thank you!

salmo trutta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 04:28:51 PM »
You might look at PIMCO - I like the PIMCO Dynamic Income Fund (PDI). It has a long track record of solid capital preservation and a rock solid yield approaching 9%. You could also consider PCI, the PIMCO Dynamic Credit Income Fund that will offer you some the same capital protection and a yield approaching 9% as well, I own that one too. Another good one is PONDX that is very stable and yields over 5%.

Through ETFs, preferred stocks, and REITs I have built a portfolio that yields over 7% and provides for market stability, income stability, and capital growth that well outpaces inflation - it also provides me the income I need to satisfy my objectives...

Cheers!