Author Topic: Roth IRA to buy individual stocks? Vanguard  (Read 27209 times)

cbr shadow

• Bristles
Roth IRA to buy individual stocks? Vanguard
« on: January 04, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »
Is it possible to use my Vanguard Roth IRA (or 401k) to purchase individual stocks?  Meaning right now my Roth IRA has $5450 in it and I would like to take $1500 of that and invest in an individual stock.  That's just an example.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: Roth IRA to buy individual stocks? Vanguard
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:05:46 AM »
I'm not certain about Vanguard but I know you can do it with Fidelity. It should work the same where they will charge you a transactional fee for it.

My answer would lean towards yes.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 11:20:41 AM »
When you open an account, Vanguard asks if you want it to be Vanguard fund-only or a brokerage account. If you're trying to use existing funds from an account of the former type, you might have to convert it or transfer them to a new account or something.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 04:36:16 PM »
Is it possible to use my Vanguard Roth IRA (or 401k) to purchase individual stocks?  Meaning right now my Roth IRA has $5450 in it and I would like to take $1500 of that and invest in an individual stock.  That's just an example.

I don't believe Vanguard allows for individual stock picks. But IRAs and 401ks can be invested in anything, from stocks to bonds to real-estate to gold to almost anything so long as you or your relatives aren't directly benefiting from it while it's in the retirement account. It all requires your investment provider to allow it.

jdchmiel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:22:53 AM »
I rolled over an old 401k to vanguard a few years ago into a brokerage account and purchased 3 different ETF's.  It was like purhsing stocks with a purchase order, price and such.  Basically, Vanguard anything, just call them and they help you.  They have the best and most competent customer service of any entity I have ever dealt with.

COguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37:57 AM »
You can set up a brokerage account at vanguard in your IRA:

https://investor.vanguard.com/what-we-offer/stocks-bonds-cds/stocks

you can attach it to a money market in your IRA as a sweep account and then you will have an IRA brokerage account.  If that doesn't make sense, just give them a call and let them know what you want to do.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 11:14:22 AM »
I rolled over an old 401k to vanguard a few years ago into a brokerage account and purchased 3 different ETF's.  It was like purhsing stocks with a purchase order, price and such.  Basically, Vanguard anything, just call them and they help you.  They have the best and most competent customer service of any entity I have ever dealt with.

I'll second this, I've dealt with a few companies and Vanguard has had the best customer service by far.  When I moved my IRA to Vanguard they asked if I wanted any available for individual stocks.  I said no but it wouldn't have been a big deal if I had, sounded like just a couple extra steps.