Author Topic: Roth IRA Account Location  (Read 1653 times)

53caddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Roth IRA Account Location
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:02:54 AM »
Well I just finished reading a post about how scummy Edward Jones is etc. Well I am currently with a Financial adviser not Edward Jones from when I started my Roth IRA (forced to use this company due to parents now both of us hate them). Well now i notice how scummy they are. Currently charging 1% fee on top of the ETF fee etc.

I am looking at transferring to a new location. Do yall agree? What company should I consider Vanguard, Fidelity, Betterment? Is there another one that I am missing in my research. How do you go about researching the funds you want to invest in etc?

thanks in advance.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Roth IRA Account Location
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 09:10:17 AM »
53caddy, welcome to the forum.

Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard are often mentioned, each with pros and cons.

See Three-fund portfolio - Bogleheads for some reasonable funds at all of those (and some other brokerages as well).

Rob_bob

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »
My Roth is at TDAmeritrade, no account fees. Vanguard and Fidelity seem to have the largest following.  Betterment will charge you a small management fee.

As far as researching funds goes I just search online, use free charts, Portfolio Visualizer website has a back testing tool to compare fund performance, Morningstar website has fund details and a discussion forum.

Google is your friend  :)

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »
Google is your friend  :)
And remembering two things:
1) Past performance does not necessarily predict future results.
2) Most actively managed, high fee funds do not outperform index funds by more than the fee difference.

53caddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:16:23 PM »
Thanks again for all the input.