Author Topic: pick your 5 stock firesale basket  (Read 2503 times)

EliteZags

• Bristles
pick your 5 stock firesale basket
« on: May 11, 2022, 04:17:19 PM »
other than funds, what 5 stocks are you buying the most in this bottom (pleassseee be the bottom)

I've been pickup up
TSLA
PYPL
PLTR
ENPH
AMZN

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
Re: pick your 5 stock firesale basket
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 04:46:08 PM »
Bottom? VTI kissed the bear but closed just above today. The bottom will be here after chained -5% days hitting the breakers. (See 2020 for reference)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 05:59:17 PM »
I have to pick five? Okay:
ABNB
RKLB
more ABNB
more RKLB
more more ABNB

As far as I can tell the fundamentals for these stocks haven't changed one bit. So I'm either dumb for owning them, or I'm not, but it has nothing to do with the recent market declines (cost of capital notwithstanding, I guess).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 06:09:05 PM by PDXTabs »

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 06:42:30 PM »
ABNB
RKLB
more ABNB
more RKLB
more more ABNB

As far as I can tell the fundamentals for these stocks haven't changed one bit. So I'm either dumb for owning them, or I'm not, but it has nothing to do with the recent market declines (cost of capital notwithstanding, I guess).

You mean they’re still not making any money?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 07:15:12 PM »
ABNB
RKLB
more ABNB
more RKLB
more more ABNB

You mean they’re still not making any money?

I'm pretty sure that ABNB had some profitable quarters pre-IPO (pre-pandemic), but I could be wrong. I'm also pretty sure that their GAAP EPS in Q4 2021 was positive. https://seekingalpha.com/news/3800365-airbnb-gaap-eps-of-0_08-beats-0_04-revenue-of-1_53b-beats-70m
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 07:17:28 PM by PDXTabs »

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 09:31:04 AM »
Here is a good list to choose from:

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 09:41:57 AM »
Maybe COIN?

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 09:47:10 AM »
I think FB, NTFLX, SHOP, SQ & COIN are decent comeback stocks.  They are all (?) still the top dogs in their respective industries.  I'm a little unsure on COIN since I do think crypto is failing, and their company is going to be directly coupled to that drop.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 02:11:43 PM »
Maybe COIN?

Not with bitcoin crashing? It's below its 1 year long support level now.  Seems really risky.  Also the fact that BTC is entirely a speculative environment like with Tulips some years ago.  It gives you nothing.. now ownership of a country or land , real estate etc..

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 02:16:53 PM »
I know a lot of people say to get ABNB but I am afraid of it. With inflation like it is and perhaps a recession soon, who will have lots of money to be vacationing all the time? I see issues with growth here?   I dunno.  Its market cap is still a whopping $88 billion and P/E is at 99 times earnings right now even after it dropped.

https://finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=ABNB
http://djcs.factsetdigitalsolutions.com/cxb/analystpdf/MarketGrader/ABNB.pdf

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 04:05:12 PM »
I know a lot of people say to get ABNB but I am afraid of it. With inflation like it is and perhaps a recession soon, who will have lots of money to be vacationing all the time? I see issues with growth here?   I dunno.  Its market cap is still a whopping $88 billion and P/E is at 99 times earnings right now even after it dropped.

ABNB is definitely a long term bet that in five or ten years they have continued to grow and push out mainstream hotels. I'm not sure that is a bad bet. I just booked a month long trip to Scotland and most of it is in ABNB properties with a few nights in local hostels. Also, I only have 1% of my portfolio in individual stocks. I don't put any money into individual stocks that I can't afford to lose.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 08:37:20 PM »
Just like in the spring of 2000, not all tech stocks and hopium miners will survive this rate hiking environment and recession. So if I "knew" it was the bottom, I'd buy profitable growth companies operating at scale, like:

CRM
MSFT
Alphabet
AAPL
NVO or LLY (can't decide, both have new weight loss drugs that are going to be blockbusters)

And avoid like the plague any company that somehow managed to lose money in 2021.

Unfortunately, all my picks are still overpriced for the world of 5-7% treasury bonds that we might soon inhabit.

Also unfortunately, you never know when it's the bottom, so I'll probably actually pick up some preferred stock funds when their yield hits 7.5% again, retire on the interest, and not worry about this kind of thing ever again.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 08:49:32 PM »
Just like in the spring of 2000, not all tech stocks and hopium miners will survive this rate hiking environment and recession. So if I "knew" it was the bottom, I'd buy profitable growth companies operating at scale, like:

CRM
MSFT
Alphabet
AAPL
NVO or LLY (can't decide, both have new weight loss drugs that are going to be blockbusters)

No AMZN? I don't feel the need to own AMZN by virtue of how much I already have in my indexes, but if I was going to buy a FAANG AMZN would be it if only because I know how much my boss pays to AWS every month.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 09:10:25 PM »

CRM
MSFT
Alphabet
AAPL

No AMZN? I don't feel the need to own AMZN by virtue of how much I already have in my indexes, but if I was going to buy a FAANG AMZN would be it if only because I know how much my boss pays to AWS every month.

AMZN has a worse return on assets, a higher PEG ratio, and a lower quarterly growth rate than FedEx, all while trying to prop up a PE ratio 5x higher. Granted, not all my other picks excel on those metrics or others, so sure, swap it out for Apple if you want. Apple is just an appliance manufacturer anyway, and it is doubtful they could do well in the event of disruption in China, so I'm indifferent to the trade.

I am 100% certain the working from home trend is here to stay for knowledge workers, so I like CRM, MSFT, and GOOG. The end of meetings, cubicle discussions, and water cooler chit chat has left an information gap that these providers are filling brilliantly. I'm interested in these names because I know how much my boss pays to keep an empty office building downtown, while simultaneously paying MSFT, CRM, and GOOG increasing sums for the way we actually work now. We're remotely managing just-above-entry-level call center workers who are WFH. Many people still think that can't be done.

The productivity gains and cost savings for WFH are bigger and are coming faster than the transition from fully paper-based offices to partially-digital offices in the 1990s.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 09:14:37 PM by ChpBstrd »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 09:30:30 PM »

CRM
MSFT
Alphabet
AAPL

AMZN has a worse return on assets, a higher PEG ratio, and a lower quarterly growth rate than FedEx, all while trying to prop up a PE ratio 5x higher. Granted, not all my other picks excel on those metrics or others, so sure, swap it out for Apple if you want. Apple is just an appliance manufacturer anyway, and it is doubtful they could do well in the event of disruption in China, so I'm indifferent to the trade.

I am 100% certain the working from home trend is here to stay for knowledge workers, so I like CRM, MSFT, and GOOG. The end of meetings, cubicle discussions, and water cooler chit chat has left an information gap that these providers are filling brilliantly. I'm interested in these names because I know how much my boss pays to keep an empty office building downtown, while simultaneously paying MSFT, CRM, and GOOG increasing sums for the way we actually work now. We're remotely managing just-above-entry-level call center workers who are WFH. Many people still think that can't be done.

The productivity gains and cost savings for WFH are bigger and are coming faster than the transition from fully paper-based offices to partially-digital offices in the 1990s.

We too pay GOOG and MSFT and AAPL, but none of that is critical. All of it could be replaced (if only with each other). We were hybrid before the pandemic, it can be done. But AMZN is what lets us make our customers happy without running our own data-centers. Actually, probably some CRM too.

As to AMZN return on assets, perhaps the US government will eventually break them up. Breaking up Ma Bell was great for shareholders.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2022, 09:41:02 PM »
I own some shares of ENPH, if I were buying stock I’d get more

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 09:53:36 AM »
Most of the big fallers recent are one hit wonders that could easily become obsolete if they don't diversify their businesses.

AMZN
DIS
FB
MSFT
JPM

I think they're all good businesses that will be around in 30-50 years time.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 09:57:18 AM by vand »

svosavvy

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2022, 05:44:26 AM »
I see most of my problem children listed already.  One I would add is Beyond Meat (BYND).  Short interest is pushing 40% as well making it a nice short squeeze candidate eventually.  When? Who knows? Still long some and adding.  Adding a lot of COIN here also while "catching the falling knife".  My buy last week of COIN is still up 35%, however, my initial buy is down like 70%.  Down 45% as a whole on that one.  That's life.  These positions aren't huge and don't affect my life situation as I am fairly liquid enough to play the game.  I think you will see some of these "no earnings" "tech" stocks bottom before the overall market does.  Especially since it is super in fashion to dump growth stocks that aren't making money yet coupled with a daily rant from cramer about them. 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2022, 08:18:54 AM »
Every paycheck I'm trying to squeeze the amount of 401K contributions from other sources and increase my taxable investments by that amount. Buying $AVUV if I cannot think of a better choice, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to watching some of the ones y'all are listing.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2022, 03:39:21 PM »
this thread is reminding me it's time to start scrapping up everything i can to invest during the downturn.

Been doing a lot, but I do want to do more.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2022, 06:43:14 PM »
SBUX
GNRC
INMD
TYL
TTD

Edited to add:

V as a bonus and BABA as purely speculative

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2022, 07:54:16 PM »
I think VTI/VOO is the safest bet.  I can't have hope in any single stock but can have hope in VTI/VOO.

These stocks that have dropped 75%, I looked at their P/E and it's still quite high and they are reporting poor earnings lately.  They could easily drop 50% more even after buying at the 75% discount.  The were rapidly driven to sky-high prices that didn't make any sense.  The ARKK fund quadrupled in less than a year.. that's ridiculous.  It makes sense all these tech stocks are dropping down. I think a P/E of 12-15 might be good for them since most aren't even profitble yet.. they are sitting at P/E of 25+ still after dropping 75%.  Very sad fundamentals.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 07:57:27 PM by JenniferW »

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2022, 09:23:38 PM »
PTF