Author Topic: OFFICIAL: Blockchain / Crypto-Currency Portfolios and Discussion  (Read 173692 times)

runbikerun

• Bristles
Re: OFFICIAL: Blockchain / Crypto-Currency Portfolios and Discussion
« Reply #1200 on: July 02, 2018, 05:58:50 AM »
Oh, I know the details of Tether on Bitfinex have been discussed before. Tonyahu, however, has not even mentioned it once. Ignoring it is pretty consistent with their posting history.

jmecklenborg

• Stubble
« Reply #1201 on: July 02, 2018, 01:27:58 PM »
You're probably just one of those initial-spoke-offering shills trying to make a quick buck getting more suckers to buy into your worthless "low cost fun 150 year old transportation technology". I've reported you to the mods.

-W

Yeah I've jumped over (full disclosure: picked up and carried) a few fallen 150 year-old trees out in the woods.  Took it downtown to ride on the 150 year-old cobbles and streetcar tracks.  I even rode it down a 150 year-old freight railroad between two farmer's fields, between the rails and over the ties and gravel. 

Gives new meaning to the phrase "rails-to-trails" when you can ride a mountain bike a half mile down an active railroad and it's a pretty smooth ride. 

jmecklenborg

• Stubble
« Reply #1202 on: July 02, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »
Why didn't you buy the bike with your crypto? Oh yeah that's right. No one really takes crypto to buy anything and no one actually uses to buy anything.

Nice bike!

The guy at the bike shop told me I was the second guy to come in and buy a new bike with crypto earnings. 

I'm a pretty cheap person but I was easily persuaded to buy the $1,400 bike instead of the first one I rode, which was about $800.  No comparison.

And no comparison between the $1,400 bike and my last mountain bike, which was $450 with 26" wheels from 2002.  The advances in mtb construction are just seismic and the sport itself has evolved to be almost unrecognizable.  The "old" mtb trails in my area from the 1990s have been semi-abandoned in favor of the newer flow and downhill trails.

If there's anything I took away from the MMM articles, it was the advice to get "cheap hobbies".  Luckily I was already doing that, since even with decent-quality bikes, bicycling is still a very cheap hobby as compared to fishing, skiing, boating, etc. 

runbikerun

• Bristles
« Reply #1203 on: July 02, 2018, 03:29:36 PM »
Why didn't you buy the bike with your crypto? Oh yeah that's right. No one really takes crypto to buy anything and no one actually uses to buy anything.

Nice bike!

The guy at the bike shop told me I was the second guy to come in and buy a new bike with crypto earnings. 

I'm a pretty cheap person but I was easily persuaded to buy the $1,400 bike instead of the first one I rode, which was about $800.  No comparison.

And no comparison between the $1,400 bike and my last mountain bike, which was $450 with 26" wheels from 2002.  The advances in mtb construction are just seismic and the sport itself has evolved to be almost unrecognizable.  The "old" mtb trails in my area from the 1990s have been semi-abandoned in favor of the newer flow and downhill trails.

If there's anything I took away from the MMM articles, it was the advice to get "cheap hobbies".  Luckily I was already doing that, since even with decent-quality bikes, bicycling is still a very cheap hobby as compared to fishing, skiing, boating, etc.

Road bikes have evolved almost as drastically - the top-of-the-line bikes that were used by Grand Tour winners at the turn of the millennium are now objectively inferior to $800 entry-level machines, while the current high-end models are so far beyond those older bikes that they might as well be in a different sport. It's one of the most promising signs in road cycling as a professional sport that the last decade or so of ever-advancing wind tunnel testing, weight shaving, kit shrinking and mathematically precise training and dietary plans is only now producing times marginally faster than 2001-2007.

All this is unfortunately off topic, though, so...rabble rabble Bitcoin rabble rabble Ponzi rabble rabble transformative rabble rabble?

jmecklenborg

• Stubble
« Reply #1204 on: July 02, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »
Road bikes have evolved almost as drastically - the top-of-the-line bikes that were used by Grand Tour winners at the turn of the millennium are now objectively inferior to $800 entry-level machines, while the current high-end models are so far beyond those older bikes that they might as well be in a different sport. It's one of the most promising signs in road cycling as a professional sport that the last decade or so of ever-advancing wind tunnel testing, weight shaving, kit shrinking and mathematically precise training and dietary plans is only now producing times marginally faster than 2001-2007.

All this is unfortunately off topic, though, so...rabble rabble Bitcoin rabble rabble Ponzi rabble rabble transformative rabble rabble?

Yeah I was at a group ride recently where a guy showed up with a circa-2002 Trek Madone.  It looked like a museum piece.  Hell, my 2015 Felt Z5 already looks dated.  Hopefully it lasts another 10 years.  You've just got to not care that you're going to be in the bottom 30% on Strava segments, no matter what! 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1205 on: July 03, 2018, 08:15:56 AM »
I'd never be one to argue that a modern expensive bike isn't a very nice thing to ride . . . but 90% of the weight and aerodynamics is going to be related to the shape and position of the engine on that bike.  I ride around on a 25+ lb steel frame touring bike, and it's pretty unusual for me to get dropped on a ride.

It's always going to be much cheaper to take 5 lbs off the engine than the bike, and the rider's body position and clothing worn matters an awful lot more than the aerodynamics of the frame he/she is on.  :P

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1206 on: July 03, 2018, 08:18:47 AM »
I'd never be one to argue that a modern expensive bike isn't a very nice thing to ride . . . but 90% of the weight and aerodynamics is going to be related to the shape and position of the engine on that bike.  I ride around on a 25+ lb steel frame touring bike, and it's pretty unusual for me to get dropped on a ride.

It's always going to be much cheaper to take 5 lbs off the engine than the bike, and the rider's body position and clothing worn matters an awful lot more than the aerodynamics of the frame he/she is on.  :P

Tires and appropriate frame flex are more important than either aerodynamics [between typical road bikes] or 5lbs in weight.

Just to stay on topic I want to say that using crypto to buy bikes is a great idea. Then I can tell my GF I have no idea where the new machine came from and she can't trace the payment back to me. ;)

jmecklenborg

• Stubble
« Reply #1207 on: July 03, 2018, 10:56:23 AM »
Just to stay on topic I want to say that using crypto to buy bikes is a great idea. Then I can tell my GF I have no idea where the new machine came from and she can't trace the payment back to me. ;)

Now THERE we have a legit legal use for crypto!!!

I'd never be one to argue that a modern expensive bike isn't a very nice thing to ride . . . but 90% of the weight and aerodynamics is going to be related to the shape and position of the engine on that bike. 

We have an annual ride up a few of the city's steep 20%+ streets...this year a guy on a 20+ year-old aluminum frame was beating all the guys on new carbon bikes by 100-200 feet on every hill.  He was about 6'2" and 140lbs.  I enjoy fried chicken a little too much to contend for local bragging rights. 

runbikerun

• Bristles
« Reply #1208 on: July 03, 2018, 12:28:44 PM »
As a 90+kg rider with a sprinter's power profile, I can't say I approve of course profiles that look like crypto price histories. I'm more of a fan of routes that look like the histories for cash funds.

Orin!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1209 on: July 05, 2018, 02:14:14 AM »
I have lost 5k on crypto. 5.5k is my current value. I plan to just hold onto this variety of holdings as I do have long-term belief in it.

Otherwise I have been busy selling tradelines, signing up for bank bonuses and credit card bonuses over the last two months have made 7k there so I consider this has covered the hole my crypto investment made short term.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #1210 on: July 05, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
I have lost 5k on crypto. 5.5k is my current value. I plan to just hold onto this variety of holdings as I do have long-term belief in it.

Otherwise I have been busy selling tradelines, signing up for bank bonuses and credit card bonuses over the last two months have made 7k there so I consider this has covered the hole my crypto investment made short term.

Great report, @Orin! !

Good luck on all of your adventures.

Orin!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1211 on: July 05, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »

Great report, @Orin! !

Thank you !

If someone put enough energy into it, they could achieve financial independence just off bank bonuses, credit card sign ups and tradelines.

I mean - isnít that what banks do?

The banking system is too rigged for them to profit in. It is also inefficient and too regulated which is why I believe in long term value of crypto.

LurkingMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1212 on: July 09, 2018, 05:15:17 PM »

Great report, @Orin! !

Thank you !

If someone put enough energy into it, they could achieve financial independence just off bank bonuses, credit card sign ups and tradelines.

I mean - isnít that what banks do?

The banking system is too rigged for them to profit in. It is also inefficient and too regulated which is why I believe in long term value of crypto.

Legitimately curious in how you could possibly average 7k in churning/tradelines in two months.  I've done tradelines and commissions on them at least for what I saw was about $100-$200 per user, and at most I'd end up with 4 in a month.  Banking bonuses typically pay quarterly or every 180 days.  Would love to hear what else you are doing!

waltworks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1213 on: July 09, 2018, 09:52:14 PM »
Legitimately curious in how you could possibly average 7k in churning/tradelines in two months.  I've done tradelines and commissions on them at least for what I saw was about $100-$200 per user, and at most I'd end up with 4 in a month.  Banking bonuses typically pay quarterly or every 180 days.  Would love to hear what else you are doing!

I am also curious about this - my spreadsheet says I've had 54 different credit cards (some repeats before Chase cracked down) over roughly the last 5 years. I've made about $21k in bonuses, plus maybe $10k in normal cashback. That's great, but it's $6k a year, not FI money. It also winds down after a while - I still get the occasional Amex offer, and I have a ton of Hilton points and other non-cash rewards - but I can't actually get much in the way of signup bonuses anymore.

Now, if the Chase rinse-and-repeat cards were still an option, you could kill it. Bummer.

Bank bonuses (if you have plenty of spare cash, which most folks here do) can get you maybe 500 bucks a quarter if you spread money around and spend a lot of time on it. Again, not enough to be FI, and quite a bit of work to boot (in fact, probably less than most of us make at our day jobs).

I don't know jack about tradelines, but I'd be pretty shocked if you could do more than $500 a month or something.

I guess if you did all of it simultaneously, you could squeak out $10k a year until you started running out of credit card bonuses.

But maybe I'm missing something?

-W

Orin!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1214 on: July 12, 2018, 11:37:40 PM »
@waltworks
@LurkingMustache

Credit cards:
Chase Sapphire - $550 for 4K spend with adding one AU
Amex PGR - 50k Amex points for 1k spend. Sold points for $625

Bank bonuses:
Chase - $300
Disc savings - $200
Disc savings player 2 - $200
Valley National Bank - $200
Suntrust - $500
Memory bank - $100
PNC - $200
TD - $150
Hancock Whitney - $300
Elements - $200
5/3rd - $250
Fidelity - $200
Chase player 2 - $200

All bank bonuses posted 5/15 to present.
I started applying for them approx 4/15.

Tradelines:
9 lines available. 28 slots sold. 16 slots I sold myself. 12 I sold through two tradeline companies. I turned down two recent buys from one of the tradeline companies as I need to wait three weeks as I am currently maxed out the lines per card in a two month time period (average 3 per line which is on the slightly aggressive side).

The above equals 7.8k (tradelines, bank bonuses and cc bonuses).

It is on the aggressive side and the bank bonuses could not be maintained at that rate every three months. Neither could tradelines as I would not routinely do more than 2 per line per 2 months.

But if you had a player 2 to work with (a spouse or friend or family member) it could be done 3-4K every three months.

waltworks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1215 on: July 13, 2018, 01:43:46 AM »
Sure, but lots of what you're doing (especially the Chase stuff) is one time only. Trust me, I know.

Amex can be gamed a bit more as they're desperate for business lately, but all the other stuff you're doing with cards and bank bonuses can't easily be repeated. It's great while it lasts, though. I've probably made $10k off of Chase (over many years), so I understand why they won't give me bonuses for anything anymore.

To be clear: kudos. I did the exact same things for a couple of years (though not the credit line thing). It's a nice kick of free cash. It's not, and will never be, a way to be FI on it's own, however.

-W

Orin!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1216 on: July 17, 2018, 07:50:57 PM »
Back to the thread topic - bitcoin up 9% in last 24 hours. Think a bull run is on?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1217 on: July 17, 2018, 08:17:11 PM »
lol.

No, I don't think a bull run is on.  This thread is dead for a reason.

seattlecyclone

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1218 on: July 17, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »
Is there any actual fundamental reason cited for the ridiculous run-up, or is it just the same old people manipulating prices again?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #1219 on: July 18, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »
Is there any actual fundamental reason cited for the ridiculous run-up, or is it just the same old people manipulating prices again?

It's the... you know, markets, stability, crypto, future blockchain based app ecosystem things!

maizeman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1220 on: July 18, 2018, 11:27:36 AM »
So I can tell you the reasons it's being attributed to. However, keep in mind this is just like those articles written every day about the the stock market went up or down. If the market moved the opposite direction each day, people could certainly articles with just as much/little logic:

-The Financial Stability Board (which is tied in to the G20 somehow?) put out a report that said "bitcoin and cryptocurrencies do not currently pose a material risk to the global financial system."

-Blackrock, whose CEO previously had a lot of negative things to say about bitcoin announced they are investigating the potential for investing in cryptocurrencies/blockchain applications (yes this is as hand wavy as it sounds).

-Goldman Sachs lost their previous CEO and appointment their current COO to the role, who was seen as more positive on bitcoin than the outgoing guy.

Anyway, I suspect all three are just so stories that people have identified after the fact to explain the way the markets moved. *shrug*

jmecklenborg

• Stubble
« Reply #1221 on: August 14, 2018, 11:10:44 PM »
I just re-watched this interview from the peak of Bitcoin hype in December 2017.  Look at the comments...everyone's talking about how dumb Joe Rogen is.  Pretty much all of those commenters lost money -- some of them a lot of it -- just a few weeks later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JSEiCl136Q

Whoever this guy is who they interviewed saw a ton of money disappear.  Ripple, for example, is down 90%.  From over $3 to just 26 cents.  How does Ripple now recruit new employees?  It's like working for Myspace. 

The guy I knew who was up well over $100,000 on ETH is now only up $20,000.  In just a few months he went from being an object of jealousy to a bit of a joke.  Why didn't you sell when all those ETH's you bought at $50 were worth $1,400?  It's all so obvious in hindsight. 

runbikerun

• Bristles
« Reply #1222 on: August 15, 2018, 03:32:38 AM »
I read the other day that even though the Turkish lira is in free fall, with commentators seriously discussing the possibility of capital controls or an IMF intervention, it has still held value better so far in 2018 than bitcoin.

maizeman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1223 on: August 15, 2018, 06:16:06 AM »
Hahaha. You're not wrong.

Bitcoin is -54% since the end of December. Turkish Lira is -38%. Of course last December is about the peak of bitcoin. Going back twelve months bitcoin is +54% and the Turkish Lira is -43%.