Author Topic: Mr P's Peter Lynch investing 2016  (Read 3654 times)

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
Mr P's Peter Lynch investing 2016
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:51:37 PM »
I have Direct TV because my wife insists (T)
but thats okay because I like it.
In fact I add HBO seasonally for Game of Thrones (TWX)
and love watching CNBC (CMCSA)
my son loves Netflix. Thats his favorite (NFLX)
I went to Star Wars and I plan on buying it, and will buy all three originals if they release the theatrical version on blueray. (DIS)
I have an iphone6 64gig (AAPL) and my service is through verizon (VZ)
I just bought a new ford car (F) because I have a long commute (XOM)
My little guy is still in diapers,and I have been consistently using oldspice for years (PG).
I love soda but drink the cheap stuff (KR)
and despite these expenses Im spending a lot on fixing my house (HD)
like new energy efficient windows to keep my utility bill down (PNW)
I listen to the free satellite radio that came with my car and I think I might want to keep if for the long commute (SIRI)
and my son keeps asking for new games for xbox (MSFT)
one day I would like to break into retail property but I don't have the capital now (O)

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mr P's Peter Lynch investing 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 11:25:46 PM »
I read "One Up On Wall Street" long ago, and think Mr Lynch leaves out an important piece of the puzzle: a team of professionals who take his ideas and validate them.  Given a bunch of stocks that his stock analysts say are the same, Peter Lynch then adds his impression of the place in everyday life.  But without that analysis, I don't think you get the same results.  Not as interesting to write about, but probably more realistic from an investing viewpoint.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 12:26:41 AM »
I read "One Up On Wall Street" long ago, and think Mr Lynch leaves out an important piece of the puzzle: a team of professionals who take his ideas and validate them.  Given a bunch of stocks that his stock analysts say are the same, Peter Lynch then adds his impression of the place in everyday life.  But without that analysis, I don't think you get the same results.  Not as interesting to write about, but probably more realistic from an investing viewpoint.

Yeah I left $5 in my Scottrade account so I can read Mcgraw Hill S&P reports. Real analysts that every index fan will tell you are phoneybologna. They were spot on, on earnings, they just cant predict what the market will do. Out of everything I mentioned Im actually investing in three. Although I love watching financial news tell me on direct tv that the Netflix is going to put them out of business. And the good old bundle keeps me buying ESPN but I never watch it. My wife is a Suns fan so its Fox Sports that holds the power in our house.
Cable going away-- pfft (although they need to watch how much they charge).
I see Century Link in my neighborhood all the time, and Cox Communications just raised their internet again (I hate them) --- greedy little ####. If I didn't just get a brand new modem I would dump them for Century link myself.
Im waiting for Google fiber though.
Oh and I forgot to mention I saved a few hundred bucks switching to Geico Teddy Brosevelt. (BRK.B)

Good God. I can not type while someone is talking to me.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:08:18 AM by mrpercentage »

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 08:21:08 AM »
I am just impressed I found somebody that watches CNBC and actually admitted they love it. :>P

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »
My point is that even with one report a year, you're studying companies less than a team of well paid professionals that spend all of their working hours analyzing stocks.

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »
You're quite a spendypants for someone on a frugality forum!

I don't think Peter Lynch ever said you'd spend more time than the paid analysts. But he did say you'd be looking at companies which are often not on their radar.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 05:08:17 PM »
Full disclosure for this spendy pants.

Based off of annual gross income:
6% to social security
9% to pension
3% to 457
9-12% in direct stock purchases
-----------------------------------
27-30% saver for a future I might never see
plus an additional 3% saver of cash

dontwannaworkforever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 10:55:50 PM »
I have Direct TV because my wife insists (T)
but thats okay because I like it.
In fact I add HBO seasonally for Game of Thrones (TWX)
and love watching CNBC (CMCSA)
my son loves Netflix. Thats his favorite (NFLX)
I went to Star Wars and I plan on buying it, and will buy all three originals if they release the theatrical version on blueray. (DIS)
I have an iphone6 64gig (AAPL) and my service is through verizon (VZ)
I just bought a new ford car (F) because I have a long commute (XOM)
My little guy is still in diapers,and I have been consistently using oldspice for years (PG).
I love soda but drink the cheap stuff (KR)
and despite these expenses Im spending a lot on fixing my house (HD)
like new energy efficient windows to keep my utility bill down (PNW)
I listen to the free satellite radio that came with my car and I think I might want to keep if for the long commute (SIRI)
and my son keeps asking for new games for xbox (MSFT)
one day I would like to break into retail property but I don't have the capital now (O)

lmao this is great but I will forever be in debt to Mr. Lynch. When I was deployed in Afghanistan a few years ago I had all this un-taxed money I didn't know what to do with. I decided to learn how to "invest". We just so happen to have a small library where I was deployed so I just went through the books (I didn't read much prior to this but when you deployed with downtime you'll do anything) and I picked up "One up on Wall Street". This led me to eventually pick up "The Warren Buffet Way". After I came back from my deployment I decided I wanted to start a career in finance and thus started my degree which I'm almost finished...then I found this forum somehow and now I wanna FIRE.

Picking up that book started it all lol

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 12:17:44 AM »
I don't think Peter Lynch ever said you'd spend more time than the paid analysts. But he did say you'd be looking at companies which are often not on their radar.
But if a stranger said that, it wouldn't be very interesting.  Fidelity Magellan Fund made Peter Lynch's book interesting because the fund performed so well during his tenure.  So you have to be sure you're not only taking Peter Lynch's written advice, but you feel that you have the same resources he used to produce those results.