Author Topic: Mosaic Solar  (Read 3183 times)

TSR Capital

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • TSR Capital - Beat Mr. Market
Mosaic Solar
« on: June 16, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
https://joinmosaic.com/

Crowdfunding of solar projects.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Re: Mosaic Solar
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:35:46 PM »
https://joinmosaic.com/
Crowdfunding of solar projects.

Mosaic's services do not constitute "crowd funding" as described in Title III of the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act ("JOBS Act").
Investor Qualifications
Our offerings of Notes may be restricted to investors who meet certain qualifications or who reside in
certain states. This offering is limited to “accredited investors” (as defined below) and up to 35 additional investors
who have such knowledge and experience in financial and business matters that they are capable of evaluating the
merits and risks of the prospective investment.
Interesting business model.  I didn't read each & every note prospectus, but there are 10 of them.  Does this imply that they're looking for only 350 "additional investors"?  Why bother?  Maybe they expect to find more projects but it's difficult to see how this scales without a huge sales/marketing team.

It's very courageous of them to start this company in an era when PV prices are cratering and most states are considering ending their tax credits and other subsidy programs.

Do you have a particular perspective on this company or its accredited investor angels/VCs, or its "additional investors", or are you just spewing links?

FrugalJLW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
I tried out Mosaic by investing a few hundred dollars with them! Although it's too soon to tell if they'll expand nationally, it seems like they're actually a smart option right now for retail investors in CA and NY (and accredited investors in other states). At 4.5%, projects are better than any similar bond or CD. They seem reasonably safe (i.e. my risk is whether Fort Dix will continue to pay its utility bills, but it's just debt, not equity in some venture). I don't know of very many other ways that people can make P2P debt investment in tangible assets (e.g. railroads, real estate, solar or wind or other energy installations). Do you guys? I really like this.

Another upside: a lot of their projects are on cool community buildings, so I feel good about both my environmental impact and the places the solar is being installed. It seems smart!

Anyone else have thoughts?

-Frugal J.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:09:32 AM by FrugalJLW »

VasyaPupkin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:32:52 PM »
Same here- basically a feel good investment with a reasonable rate of return and not too high of a risk (at least IMHO). The terms are pretty long though- 9 years is typical.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!