Author Topic: Michael Burry (Big Short) thinks index investing is the next market bubble.  (Read 15517 times)

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
Some of the reasoning behind index investing is that stock prices already closely reflect all information known to a typical investor. Hence, unless you have spectacularly better research than most or you're Warren Buffet, you are best off just going with the index.   

What Michael Burry seems to be claiming here is that there is a saturation point where index funds market share reaches an inflection point and it is no longer reflecting "real market value" -- a "bubble point" -- supposedly at around 50% of total investment share.  I'm not sure what the current ratio is or how this ratio was determined.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-short-michael-burry-explains-104146627.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:42:34 AM by HBFIRE »

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
Re: Michael Burry (Big Short) thinks index investing is the next market bubble.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
Discussion at bogleheads:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=289725&newpost=4733284

My take away was the same as this poster, but I'm no expert:

Yes - his primary objection in the article appears to not be the index funds themselves but rather the "trillions of dollars of assets... indexed to these stocks". In other words various derivatives and such. Much like in CDOs it wasn't just the underlying assets themselves that were a problem but rather the Credit Default Swaps that were indexed to the CDOs themselves. Those CDS essentially created massive leverage against the much smaller market of mortgage backed securities that were held within the CDOs. (As a side note CDO is a very broad term and I'm here only referring to those that held actual securities - there are also "synthetic CDOs" that really are essentially CDS instead).

Now of course the interviewee doesn't get to pick the title of the article. So the reporter who needs a bunch of clicks created the misleading click-bait title which seems well beyond what the person interviewed was saying.

He does state an objection to the index funds themselves with regard to price discovery but it seems the larger warning and the analogy to the CDO/CDS crisis is rather the derivatives linked to indexes.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 10:05:25 AM »
I just figured he's shilling for active investment :).

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 10:09:23 AM »
He does put in a good word for Gamestop. He's obviously not a gamer; it's hard not to guffaw at that recommendation.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »
I just figured he's shilling for active investment :).

Well, that too.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 10:39:16 AM »
Doesn't really make any sense to me.

Assuming the index is large enough, it just means more opportunities for arbitrage for active traders. Which means the ones at the "bottom" of the index fall off anyway. And the larger companies should have enough trading that the index should never impact them anyway.

This sounds a lot like a doom and gloom scenario where index funds somehow become 80%+ of the market and cause irrational propping up of the companies indexed. But that requires so many assumptions, like everyone owning the same indexes and people no longer looking to actively trade, that it seems like a non-issue.

I also want to say, at least according to that article, it completely misunderstands why CDO's were a problem. The problem with them was they were leveraged, and leveraged against each other, no less (CDO's taken out against CDO's, etc). Index funds are always backed by the underlying assets. In fact, the more I think about this, the dumber it all sounds. Burry may have been right once, but I'm wondering if maybe it wasn't a fluke. I remember calling the housing bubble on Fatwallet back in 2006 or 2007. It's not like it came out of nowhere. He's just one person who had the assets required to make a fortune, and the balls to actually time it correctly. I'm not sure we should celebrate that.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:42:34 AM by fattest_foot »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 10:57:40 AM »
Burry may have been right once, but I'm wondering if maybe it wasn't a fluke. I remember calling the housing bubble on Fatwallet back in 2006 or 2007. It's not like it came out of nowhere. He's just one person who had the assets required to make a fortune, and the balls to actually time it correctly. I'm not sure we should celebrate that.

There are a lot of one-hit wonders in the investing world.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 11:29:07 AM »
BH mods merged a bunch of links, so the updated thread there is: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=289284

One thing that really struck me was:

Rob Arnott, in a recent Morningstar podcast, that if you subtract all of the index investors’ holdings you are left with the aggregate holdings of active investors. Which looks exactly like the market, obviously.

I'd never thought about it in precisely those terms, but now that I read it, it's self-explanatory.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 12:01:35 PM »
Josh Brown/ has a good semi-rebuttal to Burry's comments.

TL;DR, index fund-style retirement plans bear a closer resemblance to pension-style plans of yore than to the active management-style ideals that Burry represents and that only became a real force in the 1980s and are on the wane since 2000 and 2008; therefore, its the active management-style investments that are the aberrancy, at least for funding retirements for the masses, and not the other way around that Burry would have you believe.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 04:52:49 PM »
Discussion at bogleheads:

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=289725&newpost=4733284

My take away was the same as this poster, but I'm no expert:

Yes - his primary objection in the article appears to not be the index funds themselves but rather the "trillions of dollars of assets... indexed to these stocks". In other words various derivatives and such. Much like in CDOs it wasn't just the underlying assets themselves that were a problem but rather the Credit Default Swaps that were indexed to the CDOs themselves. Those CDS essentially created massive leverage against the much smaller market of mortgage backed securities that were held within the CDOs. (As a side note CDO is a very broad term and I'm here only referring to those that held actual securities - there are also "synthetic CDOs" that really are essentially CDS instead).

Now of course the interviewee doesn't get to pick the title of the article. So the reporter who needs a bunch of clicks created the misleading click-bait title which seems well beyond what the person interviewed was saying.

He does state an objection to the index funds themselves with regard to price discovery but it seems the larger warning and the analogy to the CDO/CDS crisis is rather the derivatives linked to indexes.
Seems to me that discussing an article that is critical of index investing at Bogleheads is analogous to debating the dangers of a vegan diet at PETA.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 12:57:53 AM »
Bogle himself was clear that if everyone tried to index the result would be chaos, but he also qualified it with saying that the chances of everyone indexing was virtually zero.

However... sometimes the originators of ideas have no idea how far their concepts are taken once they permeate the public subconcious and are adopted as orthodoxy.

I'll bet Bogle didn't really think Indexing would become as popular as it is today, just as I'm sure Keynes never imagined that we could take the ideas of countercyclical fiscal and monetary policy and run with it to the point where we have unprecedented peace-time budgetary deficits and parts ofthe world are issuing return-free risk on 100yr bonds.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:11:18 AM by vand »

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 06:07:52 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but if indexes ever make the market inefficient, won't some active manager(s) come in a make a boatload of money and make the market efficient again? Isn't that the whole point of a market with as much transparency and liquidity as the global stock markets?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but if indexes ever make the market inefficient, won't some active manager(s) come in a make a boatload of money and make the market efficient again? Isn't that the whole point of a market with as much transparency and liquidity as the global stock markets?

You are not wrong, the moment it’s more profitable for the average active investor than the average index investor it’ll level out on its own from a rush of new or returning active investors.  The only way I see an “index bubble” doing harm to index investors is if those new active investors are the ones not valuing companies properly which throws off everything, but even then I can’t see it as much more than normal blip.  As far as valuations being thrown out of whack by tons of money being invested that normally wouldn’t be by the popularity of index investing rising, I could see that causing a bubble and a crash, but I don’t see why it would be much worse than the normal boom/bust fluctuations in the market. 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 11:37:56 AM »
Bogle himself was clear that if everyone tried to index the result would be chaos, but he also qualified it with saying that the chances of everyone indexing was virtually zero.

However... sometimes the originators of ideas have no idea how far their concepts are taken once they permeate the public subconcious and are adopted as orthodoxy.

I'll bet Bogle didn't really think Indexing would become as popular as it is today, just as I'm sure Keynes never imagined that we could take the ideas of countercyclical fiscal and monetary policy and run with it to the point where we have unprecedented peace-time budgetary deficits and parts ofthe world are issuing return-free risk on 100yr bonds.

It's not fair to blame Keynes for the zero-lower-bound problems we're having today. Keynesians wanted more gov't stimulus, but Republicans asked for Sequester here in US, and the conservatives asked for Austerity in Britain.

The large deficits in the US are procyclical, but the slowing in growth we are seeing (and will see through 2020) proves Keynes right.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 04:57:00 PM »
Why does the market go down?  If indexing is taking over and creating a bubble because we're buying stocks whether they deserve our capital or not, wouldn't prices continue to rise?  Clearly somebody still has enough influence over the market for prices to drop when the tea leaves get read and it's not "buy and hold" index investors.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 09:11:47 PM »
*sigh*

@grantmeaname gave an excellent talk on index investing at last year's CM*TO. I brought up the issue of price discovery and my concerns. He was able to convince me that it wasn't an issue due to the price being determined by the active investors. He was successful in convincing me at the time.

However, every time I read an article like this I start getting worried again.

I think I will stalk @grantmeaname at this year's CM*TO and have him explain it all to me again. Now I worry after publicly admitting this, that he will ignore me at camp and we won't be able to even share a Maple Fluff together.

Oh well, let's hope he actually doesn't avoid me at camp.

Montecarlo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 09:28:45 PM »
Yeah, index investing is basically being a freeloader, but it works since if everyone did it there would so many inefficiencies any idiot could kill it stock picking.  Imagine no one reprising BP after deep water horizon.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 05:17:15 AM »

It's not fair to blame Keynes for the zero-lower-bound problems we're having today. Keynesians wanted more gov't stimulus, but Republicans asked for Sequester here in US, and the conservatives asked for Austerity in Britain.

The large deficits in the US are procyclical, but the slowing in growth we are seeing (and will see through 2020) proves Keynes right.

Keynes' proposal was counter-cyclical, but today there is never any true tightening during expansions, only various degrees of stimulus and monetary loosening. When was the last time the US actually posted a budgetary surplus? there was a brief period during the Clinton era, but apart from that it has been continual deficit spending. Do you think that debt can ever be repaid? They can't even repay the interest on the existing debt, hence the need to continually issue more debt.

It goes to show you how absurd an idea can reach when it becomes the orthodoxy and is allowed to run and run.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 05:20:50 AM by vand »

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 06:14:59 AM »
Burry's argument, from my layman PoV, is that due to the large volume in index funds and similar investments that if a crash were to happen then individuals in index funds and ETF's would escalate the crash by pulling out when the drop starts.

I don't doubt the reasoning behind it, but keep playing that scenario out. The economy recovers, where do these people start putting their money? All those individuals who pulled out of ETF's and index funds when they got spooked, what do they do after? I doubt burying the cash in the backyard is a choice.

My bet would be they put it back into a/the market some how and that in turn will help in the recovery from whatever future crash happens.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 07:42:03 AM »

Keynes' proposal was counter-cyclical, but today there is never any true tightening during expansions, only various degrees of stimulus and monetary loosening. When was the last time the US actually posted a budgetary surplus? there was a brief period during the Clinton era, but apart from that it has been continual deficit spending. Do you think that debt can ever be repaid? They can't even repay the interest on the existing debt, hence the need to continually issue more debt.

It goes to show you how absurd an idea can reach when it becomes the orthodoxy and is allowed to run and run.

Why does the debt need to be repaid? Government debt need only be serviced, because the Sovereign government can tax within its own currency forever, it's not like a human being, whose earning power will eventually diminish due to old age and death.

Our economy grew by about 3% during 2018 (roughly $600 billion worth of goods/services). The interest on the debt that year was $324 billion (chart: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FYOINT ), which was less than 10% of Federal revenue.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 10:13:06 AM »
*sigh*

@grantmeaname gave an excellent talk on index investing at last year's CM*TO. I brought up the issue of price discovery and my concerns. He was able to convince me that it wasn't an issue due to the price being determined by the active investors. He was successful in convincing me at the time.

I think I will stalk @grantmeaname at this year's CM*TO and have him explain it all to me again. Now I worry after publicly admitting this, that he will ignore me at camp and we won't be able to even share a Maple Fluff together.

I hope he doesn't avoid you so you can share the insights. :-)

Here's the "problem" I see with the argument: active investors are becoming less and less common due to indexing.  Not really a problem for your large cap stocks because there still a large number of analysts and individual investors watching them.  On the small and mid cap side, notsomuch. So fewer people watching and investing allows for some interesting price moves.  The reason I air quote the word "problem" is that I see an interesting opportunity for individual investors.  So it's not really a problem for me.  See my tagline.

And here's another structural issue that isn't being talked about; the reduction in the number of publicly traded companies in the US over the last 20-25 years.  The number of companies has dropped by about half. I wonder how much indexing is exacerbating that.   

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 10:43:08 AM »
"Today I counted 1,049 stocks that traded less than $5 million in value during the day."

There are about 5,000 stocks in the U.S. stock market, so is he talking about penny stocks?  The most inclusive U.S. ETFs are the Total Stock Market ETFs of iShares (ITOT) and Vanguard (VTI).  But those hold 3540 - 3606 stocks.  They ignore the bottom ~1500 stocks in the market.  So anything that happens to the bottom 1,000 stocks has no impact on the total stock market ETFs, let alone the rest of the investments that include even fewer stocks.

"almost half of those -- 456 stocks -- traded less than $1 million during the day. Yet through indexation and passive investing, hundreds of billions are linked to stocks like this."

This quote turned my opinion on Michael Burry.  "linked to" doesn't mean anything - he's selling us a pile of something.  Yes, the smallest stock in the S&P 500 is "linked to" the S&P 500.  But it's impact is trivial.  But let me be more specific than Mr Burry.  Vanguard holds $68 M in the S&P 500 stock, and $67 M in the S&P 501 stock.  Footlocker is the S&P #501 stock - it has a trading volume is $156 million / day (3 mo avg).  And yet even this stock, with 150x the above limit, is still only 0.013% of the S&P 500.  A stock worth 0.013% is still "linked to" the S&P 500, even if it comprises about 1% of 1%.  Instead of saying "linked to", why not state how much money rests on stocks he mentioned?

"The S&P 500 is no different -- the index contains the world’s largest stocks, but still, 266 stocks -- over half -- traded under $150 million today. That sounds like a lot, but trillions of dollars in assets globally are indexed to these stocks."

The S&P #198 stock is Hilton Hotels (NYSE:HLT).  For the past 30 days, it averaged $179 million/day in trading volume.  But if you look at only the past 10 days, the trading volume was $122 million a day.  There are 17 analysts covering NYSE:HLT.  Does it lack price discovery?  Or is the $150 million criteria wrong?

I'd like to see determined the assets allocated to those 266 stocks he mentioned.  The S&P 500 is top heavy.  The top 10 stocks have 23% of it's asset value, and the top 50 hold about half.  If Microsoft experiences it's own 2008 event, then that -50% loss hits the S&P with a -2.1% loss.  If the same thing happens to Hilton Hotels, that -50% drop would map to a 0.057% loss, so you'd keep 99.94% of your assets intact.  And that's a stock which goes above and below Mr Burry's borderline of $150 million.

I really dislike how he used vague language to avoid being accountable for his statements.  He says "linked with" hundreds of billions in assets.  But he doesn't admit that penny stocks have almost no impact on those assets.  He says some S&P 500 stocks lack price visibility because they don't meet his $150 million/day criteria, but he doesn't say why that criteria is accurate - and ignores analysts covering these stocks.  He says "trillions" of derivative assets when the S&P 500 has $24 trillion in assets.  Overall, he's vague or misleading through most of the article, and I find myself having to limit my good opinion of him to his prediction of the 2008 crisis.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 10:51:49 AM by MustacheAndaHalf »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 07:59:22 PM »
*sigh*

There is no force stronger than the magnetism between maple fluff and my heart.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »
It's a self-correcting problem. The thinner the analyst attention on a stock, the more informationally inefficient the stock's price is. The more informationally inefficient a stock's price is, the more money an astute analyst can make by identifying and taking advantage of a mispricing. The more money an analyst can make on a stock, the more attention they will pay to it.

The rest of us? We are "free riding" on the analyst's hard work to identify an investment opportunity and correct mispricing because we get a more correct price. On the other hand, the market pays the analyst a tiny, tiny piece of excess returns so they keep digging.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 08:38:30 PM »
*sigh*

There is no force stronger than the magnetism between maple fluff and my heart.

It will make you big and strong.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 09:15:46 PM »
Like a maple tree

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 08:41:44 AM »
It's a self-correcting problem. The thinner the analyst attention on a stock, the more informationally inefficient the stock's price is. The more informationally inefficient a stock's price is, the more money an astute analyst can make by identifying and taking advantage of a mispricing. The more money an analyst can make on a stock, the more attention they will pay to it.

The rest of us? We are "free riding" on the analyst's hard work to identify an investment opportunity and correct mispricing because we get a more correct price. On the other hand, the market pays the analyst a tiny, tiny piece of excess returns so they keep digging.

I agree that inefficiency tends towards self-correction, but not always and less so in the very short to short term. Which is part of the reason why I enjoy doing individual stocks as a hobby.  I like to put relatively small amounts of money on the line with so-called value stocks and see if I can do better.   

Every now and then the market really gets it wrong. Its with no small irony that we're discussing whether markets are efficient on a topic about Michael Burry.  Who was one of a few people who profited greatly from the last time the market got it gobsmackingly wrong.

I think you're right in noting that we're free riding on the collective analysts work. With fewer and fewer individual investors in the market, we're relying on fewer and fewer voices to be the "wisdom of the crowd." For the large cap stocks, that's not a problem. Lots of people and analysts looking. Not so true as you move to medium, small, and micro caps. Fewer individual investors, fewer analysts. And decreasing over time.  And here's an interesting thing I've noticed: the same names are analysts for multiple companies in the same industry.  So the same biases that Joe or Jim or Sally have for or against an industry are being replicated.  And there is almost certainly a herd mentality at work.  Again, let's look at the example of Michael Burry.  What set him apart in my view view wasn't so much that he noticed the CDO problem, it was that he and a few others were willing to stand up, say that this is BS, and risk a lot of money on it.  Does your average analyst have that same willingness or ability to do so at the micro-level?  Would they be willing to risk their tiny, tiny piece of the excess returns to stand alone, even if they were convinced they were right?

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 08:41:29 AM »
I think it's also worth considering the various secular forces that have been in play to create the majority of the massive gains the market has experienced this past decade. There are 2 main ones that come to mind. China and the fed.

But my point is that China and the Fed aren't going to do what they did in the last decade. China's growth story has slowed, expansionary policies can't expand the economy forever, and we should heed Bogle's warning that we shouldn't expect returns more than 4 or 5%... if we're investing in total market index funds.

But, if we abandon the total market because its full of stagnant businesses in stagnant industries, we probably can expect superior gains from companies that have consistently demonstrated superior performance and tea leaf reading in growth industries.  I am long companies like MSFT, V, SQ, CSCO and I trim and grow my positions in them based on market overreactions. I have 10-30% individual REIT exposure (also future focused picks, such as CONE and CCI) depending on current valuations.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 08:47:30 AM »
Aren't passive managed funds still under 1/2 the actual market too?

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 09:19:25 AM »

Why does the debt need to be repaid? Government debt need only be serviced, because the Sovereign government can tax within its own currency forever, it's not like a human being, whose earning power will eventually diminish due to old age and death.

Our economy grew by about 3% during 2018 (roughly $600 billion worth of goods/services). The interest on the debt that year was $324 billion (chart: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FYOINT ), which was less than 10% of Federal revenue.

Do you ever actually think about the logical extension of what you write?

Debt is expanding a a faster rate than GDP.

If it never needs to be repaid then what's the point of someone lending you the money they will never get back? Why can't every single country simply run up infinite debt?

The fact that the US can't operate with a balanced budget that simply stops the debt from increasing is a sign of an inherently unsustainable system. No country or civilisation in the history of the world has ever been able to run up debt to infinity. At some point it will stop. If something cannot go on forever then it will end. It may not be in our lifetime, or it may be tomorrow, but it will end.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 10:19:36 AM »
Again, let's look at the example of Michael Burry.  What set him apart in my view view wasn't so much that he noticed the CDO problem, it was that he and a few others were willing to stand up, say that this is BS, and risk a lot of money on it.  Does your average analyst have that same willingness or ability to do so at the micro-level?  Would they be willing to risk their tiny, tiny piece of the excess returns to stand alone, even if they were convinced they were right?

It doesn’t have to be an analyst doing this... Burry or somebody with big enough pockets could buy a bunch of a random small stock, artificially inflating its share price enough to get into one of the indexes. Then once it’s purchased by enough of the funds that track that index, raising its price considerably, they dump it and short it. Obviously if nobody is actively trading then they could pull this off, but not sure what the active vs index traders inflection point would have to be for this to work for them. You’d see this happen with small cap index funds before large cap, so I figure if someone is really worried about this scenario then they ought to stick to large cap index investing?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:23:55 AM by BECABECA »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 12:10:34 PM »
Again, let's look at the example of Michael Burry.  What set him apart in my view view wasn't so much that he noticed the CDO problem, it was that he and a few others were willing to stand up, say that this is BS, and risk a lot of money on it.  Does your average analyst have that same willingness or ability to do so at the micro-level?  Would they be willing to risk their tiny, tiny piece of the excess returns to stand alone, even if they were convinced they were right?

It doesn’t have to be an analyst doing this... Burry or somebody with big enough pockets could buy a bunch of a random small stock, artificially inflating its share price enough to get into one of the indexes. Then once it’s purchased by enough of the funds that track that index, raising its price considerably, they dump it and short it. Obviously if nobody is actively trading then they could pull this off, but not sure what the active vs index traders inflection point would have to be for this to work for them. You’d see this happen with small cap index funds before large cap, so I figure if someone is really worried about this scenario then they ought to stick to large cap index investing?
1) index funds do not declare the date on which they are going to add a stock that has been added by an index
2) index funds do not hold all of the stocks that comprise the index that they track, just enough of them to produce a statistically similar performance. This is even more so true of small/mid cap indices and the smallest stocks in the indices (the ones just being added to the bottom of the 500/1000/2000)
3) if the active trader creates a massively overvalued stock in the meantime there is a mispricing opportunity for other active analysts to exploit by underweighting/shorting the stock
4) pretty sure this is illegal even if it could work. see pump and dump

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 12:18:56 PM »
Not to mention that, at least for the large common indices, adding and removing stocks is done by a committee that has some degree of agency. We're not talking about some completely reductive automated algorithm. Which also puts a bit of a dent in the arguments of those trying to draw clear distinct lines between "passive" and "active"; it's really more like "more active" and "less active" in reality.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 01:16:36 PM »

1) index funds do not declare the date on which they are going to add a stock that has been added by an index
2) index funds do not hold all of the stocks that comprise the index that they track, just enough of them to produce a statistically similar performance. This is even more so true of small/mid cap indices and the smallest stocks in the indices (the ones just being added to the bottom of the 500/1000/2000)
3) if the active trader creates a massively overvalued stock in the meantime there is a mispricing opportunity for other active analysts to exploit by underweighting/shorting the stock
4) pretty sure this is illegal even if it could work. see pump and dump

Your point #2 is the most reassuring. And I agree, #3 corrects the situation as long as there are enough people actively trading individual stocks to notice the overvalued stock. But as for #4, it’s my understanding that what makes pump and dump illegal is putting out false information to trick other people into buying the stock and inflating the price, especially when the people putting out that false info are associated with the company. I don’t think it’s illegal for someone not affiliated with the company to buy a bunch of a stock to artificially inflate the price with their own money. Anyway, this is a really far out hypothetical since there are still plenty of active traders to correct an artificial inflation like this.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
Not to mention that, at least for the large common indices, adding and removing stocks is done by a committee that has some degree of agency. We're not talking about some completely reductive automated algorithm. Which also puts a bit of a dent in the arguments of those trying to draw clear distinct lines between "passive" and "active"; it's really more like "more active" and "less active" in reality.

This is really good to know, thanks for the info. What with seeing algorithm trading do some pretty crazy things to the Chinese stock market a few years back, it makes me feel a lot more secure about index investing knowing there’s still a human in the loop.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 05:01:54 PM »
Uhm, no. This is not accurate
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:22:19 AM by Scandium »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »

This is really good to know, thanks for the info. What with seeing algorithm trading do some pretty crazy things to the Chinese stock market a few years back, it makes me feel a lot more secure about index investing knowing there’s still a human in the loop.
Algorithmic/HST and indexing are not the same thing.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »
Not to mention that, at least for the large common indices, adding and removing stocks is done by a committee that has some degree of agency.

You sure about that?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache

techwiz

• Magnum Stache

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2019, 07:07:07 AM »
I think Burry has already been proven prescient on the small cap value call (maybe he caused it).  He's also probably right that there will be more frequent and/or more severe flash crashes because of some of these products (we've already seen that a few times), but if you don't panic out, it shouldn't impact us long-term. 

I do wonder about the securities lending risks, especially from some of the marginal "johnny come lately" players, as they get more desperate to make "off expense ratio" profits from lending out the securities (which belong to the fundholders, for hidden profits...not exactly great incentives for rational behavior).  It seems like there has to be some way for that blow up at a certain point.  It is lending.

Sounds to me like he would feel that he was right/correct if the U.S. has a nasty, fast, 1987-style crash (maybe without the nearly immediate bounce back) and Japan/EAFE did really well.  I don't think that would shake the faith of most index proponents (even using Bogle's expected return formulae it would make sense).  It's also certainly within the range of observed outcomes in history.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:20:54 AM by CorpRaider »

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2019, 07:22:46 AM »
I've finally had time to read this, as well as MMM's blog post.

What I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that prices aren't determined by the weight of all money invested, but by the weight of the active money. Because passive investors aren't dancing in and out, they're never the marginal investors. The active traders are. So the active traders--the ones who are buying or selling based on price and price movement--are determining the price. And that's fine.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2019, 10:27:11 AM »
That was one of my main points. We passive folk are free riding off the active participants. Someday we may have to pay them a tiny slice of alpha to make all their work worth it, but incredibly they are doing it today for free!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2019, 10:40:28 AM »
I think passive or long-term investors are ALWAYS paying active traders "a tiny slice of alpha" (great way to put it, btw), but that's a heck of a lot cheaper than management fees or transaction costs.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »
Yeah, that's a good way to think about it. More than nothing, less than the cost of their research and transaction fees.

dessie360

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2019, 12:57:39 PM »
It sounds like everyone is shooting down the contrarian view here before it’s had chance to breathe. Shouldn’t we be a little less presumptuous and examine the debate with a bit more diligence? Surely this community, given the comparatively non-traditional life-choices we’re making, is one that should be more open to diverse opinion and alternative insights, not least because it may potentially aid us.

Don’t get me wrong, I too am a massive advocate of passive index investing. I currently have 95%+ of my money invested that way and I have previously worked for a well-known UK version of Betterment, so I totally get the industry, the investment style and the historical landscape to active / passive.

I agree with the MMM blog post, of course, in that the financial media is full of irrelevant speculative guff, designed to baffle the punter and line the pockets of those in the industry. The old adage rings true - if these so-called experts really knew what was going to happen then they wouldn’t be in mid-salary jobs writing about it, they’d be retired on a beach somewhere enjoying the profits.

But I also agree that it’s very different when someone like Burry speaks up, given his rare credentials. (He seldom gives interviews so why he’s chosen to come out about this right now I’m not sure. I see he’s been pushing certain US and Japanese small cap stocks that he’s recently heavily invested in so maybe it’s linked to that??)

Anyway, I think it’s foolish to tear up Burry’s assessment without full investigation and on reflection I believe he makes a lot of very salient points…

1. I totally agree with Burry that there’s a fake environment being created as a result of the very fast rise in passive investing. The switch from active to passive has been dramatic in the last few years! As a result, value and price discovery - essential components of a well-functioning open financial market - are rapidly being disabled. That’s not good. We need true pricing. I believe the more money people throw into the likes of Betterment model portfolios - sold on the undeniable principles of diversification, low fees, rebalancing, auto-reinvest of dividends, etc - then more capital flows to the mainstream funds and ETFs used in constructing said portfolios, and the further the share prices within them get propped up and inflated (on mass) on the FTSE, the S&P and the rest. Active trading is split - buy / sell. The vast majority of passive trading is buying, not selling. So, with the latter, all the buying is simply pumping up the prices without any care for valuation. 

2. I can therefore see why Burry has shifted his investor focus to niche industries and small caps, since ETFs and other passive funds are often more focused on mid and large cap indexes, meaning the smalls are retaining more of their genuine price and so that’s where value can be discovered.

3. MMM says “A small exit door only matters if everyone is running for the exits at once. And even then, as index fund investors (as opposed to active stock traders), we don’t do that”… With the utmost respect, I don’t think passive investors as a whole have the knowledge and acumen to sit tight if things get rocky. They won’t. They’ll run for the hills. Passive investors are now your everyman and everywoman on the street - not just the likes of us. Institutional orgs and pension funds will also get spooked and go running back to their familiar foes at the first glint of mayhem. We’ve recently seen chaos in the UK with the highly popular Woodford Fund where a trickle of withdrawals suddenly became an avalanche. Humans aren’t good at riding out the rollercoaster. 

4. The tipping point MAY not be far off. We simply don’t know. The gap is closing fast between active and passive. And certain activity masks how close things really are. For example - “active trading still outweighs index fund trades by 22-to-1” - yes, of course it does, because by nature there is a high volume of trading in the active style and a low volume of trading in the passive style. But in terms of total value held on the major western indexes, it’s now pretty much a 50/50 split. What even IS the 'tipping point'? We’ve never experienced this before! Who’s to say the prices aren’t hugely inflated already and a bubble-burst is round the corner? We don’t KNOW for certain.

5. Re the MMM blog post on this, to look only at the two ends of the spectrum - the 100% active scenario and the 100% passive scenario - as being workable is a mistake. Yes, both scenarios MAY function fine, but that doesn’t mean every mix of the two along the spectrum would also work ok and not present problems.

6. To say, ‘well, if people withdraw they’ll have to re-invest it again somewhere’ is fair enough to a point, but that doesn’t mean it’ll go back into traditional markets, large cap stocks, or even stocks at all. We MAY end up realising in hindsight that current market valuations on big index firms are actually 30%+ over-priced right now and that they settle back down to that much lower true valuation after a bubble-burst. That would hurt us all, a lot.

Personally, I’m still cogitating and researching. We all have to make our own decision on this stuff. But I would implore everyone to NOT be over-complacent and make sure your decision is a fully-informed one. Don’t hold on to the comfort blanket of passive investing (that you’ve found to be so successful to date) for the sake of it. Nothing lasts forever. Arrogance is easy.

Of course, I don’t know either. But for me, gut feel right now says:

1) A more harmonious combination of active and passive investing may ultimately become the new norm - eg, ‘active’ analysts deciding which stocks go into an ETF, based on risk profile and other factors, not just whether it’s a basket of FTSE 100s or S&P 500s or whatever, which is actually incredibly basic and pretty dumb when you think about it. (Why are investment choices still so dominated by indexes run on size of company, geography and industry??)  

2) A new level of diversification may be needed to combat the risks of a potential passive bubble - eg, I may look to take XX% of my investments out of passive portfolios and spread it across a mix of other investments - small niche caps a la Burry, commodities, the credit markets, the currency markets, etc. Ultimately, I don’t want to have to do this, I want someone doing it for me, but at the moment all passive / index portfolio investment firms seem to have a fairly similar model and are dead set on mid/large cap globalised equity-based funds. YAWN!!!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »
3. MMM says “A small exit door only matters if everyone is running for the exits at once. And even then, as index fund investors (as opposed to active stock traders), we don’t do that”… With the utmost respect, I don’t think passive investors as a whole have the knowledge and acumen to sit tight if things get rocky. They won’t. They’ll run for the hills. Passive investors are now your everyman and everywoman on the street - not just the likes of us. Institutional orgs and pension funds will also get spooked and go running back to their familiar foes at the first glint of mayhem. We’ve recently seen chaos in the UK with the highly popular Woodford Fund where a trickle of withdrawals suddenly became an avalanche. Humans aren’t good at riding out the rollercoaster. 

Why would an active fund investor be more sanguine about a sustained market drop? Yeah, if you're in one of Taleb's (former) funds, you'd be rubbing your hands but how did Burry's fund do in late December during the drop? Even a long-short fund would have trouble treading water in an overall market decline.

(How did his fund do during his water play?)

2) A new level of diversification may be needed to combat the risks of a potential passive bubble - eg, I may look to take XX% of my investments out of passive portfolios and spread it across a mix of other investments - small niche caps a la Burry, commodities, the credit markets, the currency markets, etc. Ultimately, I don’t want to have to do this, I want someone doing it for me, but at the moment all passive / index portfolio investment firms seem to have a fairly similar model and are dead set on mid/large cap globalised equity-based funds. YAWN!!!

?? Passive index investing isn't only limited to the Total Market. Plenty of index investors slice-and-dice/factor tilt.

Eta:

1) A more harmonious combination of active and passive investing may ultimately become the new norm - eg, ‘active’ analysts deciding which stocks go into an ETF, based on risk profile and other factors, not just whether it’s a basket of FTSE 100s or S&P 500s or whatever, which is actually incredibly basic and pretty dumb when you think about it. (Why are investment choices still so dominated by indexes run on size of company, geography and industry??)  

Simple. It's because even stock pickers that get one thing right often can't do it twice. We've seen this over and over and over again. It's why active funds routinely don't do as well as the market average, let alone do better, over a long period of time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:30:25 PM by bacchi »

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2019, 02:27:42 PM »
The vast majority of passive trading is buying, not selling. So, with the latter, all the buying is simply pumping up the prices without any care for valuation. 

Totally agree. This is the most crucial piece right here.

Recently some underperforming mall REITs made news for how close they are to becoming majority passive owned. Who wants to own a company propped up by autopilot purchases? They're like Bernie, and passive inflows are like the bros having a weekend at Bernie's.

We might not be able to pick all the winners, but most of us probably would have avoided buying mall REITs 5 years ago if we were able to remove a few sectors from our indexes.

Makes you wonder how many dead weight stocks you'd want your ETF to shed if you could make that happen. I never like looking at the holdings, I see so many floundering names that will die a slow death and get sold for parts.

ETFs would be great if you uncheck certain boxes rather than getting all the channels like cable TV. But you can't. So why not grow a stable of your own buy and hold positions? Shit, you'd beat the SP500 easily if all you did was invest equal portions in companies whose products/services you have personally consistently & frequently enjoyed using/consuming.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2019, 03:04:43 PM »
Re: "passive" money is mostly buying, not selling...is there data to support this? Just take a step back. If someone is buying, by definition there is a counterparty selling. So is the contention that the buying side is overweighted by "passive" funds, etc., and the selling side is...who? I'm not going to just accept this statement at face value, I would like to know what the research and data show.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »

ETFs would be great if you uncheck certain boxes rather than getting all the channels like cable TV. But you can't. So why not grow a stable of your own buy and hold positions? Shit, you'd beat the SP500 easily if all you did was invest equal portions in companies whose products/services you have personally consistently & frequently enjoyed using/consuming.

Really? If it were that simple we would have a bunch of people beating the indices and beating the market. But that doesn’t happen.