Author Topic: Market timing - duplicate -please delete  (Read 786 times)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Market timing - duplicate -please delete
« on: February 29, 2020, 09:33:16 AM »
I see alot of people asking about selling and market timing.

Is anyone doing the opposite and buying more than they normally would?  I suppose it's still market timing, but it'll have to go back up eventually....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 06:58:52 AM by Kroaler »

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Market timing
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 09:40:05 AM »
I guess I bought 401k funds yesterday.

Does that count?

Actually I'm not sure if that went through yet but it will soon :)

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:59:29 AM »
Quite guilty, but I bought in at the lowest price last week.  I bought around 11:15 am EST Friday, when VTI was down about -3.3%, and it ended that day down -0.7%.  I also did a Roth Conversion that same day.

All of the news focused on fear of coronavirus, other news was bad as well, and every index seemed to have losses.  It was a gut feel of panic and dread.  When it's that extreme, it's usually too far...   my style of "bond tent" actually waits for market losses, and then increases my equity allocation while rebalancing against the losses.  So this fits with my approach.

I can't predict next week - it could continue.  But after -15% in losses, is it more likely to push all the way to -30%, or stabilize somewhere near -15%?  I tried to remove panic from the situation, and see that the entire market is afraid, and decided to buy.

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
  • Absolute power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 10:09:11 AM »
I was sitting on about 10% cash. I put a bunch to work yesterday.

I still have a decent amount sitting around. If things keep going down I'll keep buying.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 10:14:51 AM »
I'm deciding if I'm going to do a rebalance on Monday.  We're a bit off of target, but not terribly so yet.  We'll see how I feel about it next week.  If things do keep going down I'll rebalance soon.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!