Author Topic: Leaving job haven't maxed put 401k any options and bonus question?  (Read 1525 times)

Kimm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm taking a new job and I haven't maxed out my 401k for the year. My new job's 401k won't start until January. I still have ~$7000 to meet the max, usually my yearend bonus rounds it out my 401k. Any options open to me? I already have done the max Roth for the year. Can I do anything with an IRA or am I stuck?

Also Has anyone left a company and worked through the end of their fiscal year and still received their bonus after they left? I didn't know if this was a weird question to ask HR? Our fiscal ended Sept 30, however we never get out bonus until the end of December/January of the following year. I am also staying until the end of October to help them through an annual audit.

If I could get my bonus could it still go into my 401k after I left the company?

Thanks

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Leaving job haven't maxed put 401k any options and bonus question?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 06:36:30 AM »
Whether you get the bonus depends on the company policy.  Generally, I wouldn't count on it.  You're SOL for contributing to the 401k, the best you can do is contribute 100% for your next few paychecks.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:40:36 AM »
Whether you get the bonus depends on the company policy.  Generally, I wouldn't count on it.  You're SOL for contributing to the 401k, the best you can do is contribute 100% for your next few paychecks.

What ooeei said. Immediately up your 401k contribution to push in as much as possible prior to your last paycheck. And there's no way you're getting that bonus.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 02:07:35 PM »
Try to put as much into your 401k as you can for your last paychecks.  Also check with HR about whether your last paycheck (if paid after your last day) can still have 401k contributions. You have to be an employee to contribute to a 401k and your plan may have wording in it as to whether you are still considered an employee when you receive your last paycheck.  As far as the bonus, it doesn't hurt to ask HR.  My guess is the company has a policy saying you have to still be employed to receive the bonus, but if they say you will still receive the bonus get it in writing/email and make sure you keep it so you can call them on it if you don't receive the bonus.