Author Topic: Is it possible to transfer a fund to other country?  (Read 2019 times)

Diego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is it possible to transfer a fund to other country?
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:56:28 AM »
Hello guys, I'm completely noob in this and I want to begin my investing career path, but I don’t live in the USA (yet). I’m currently living in Spain (my birthplace) and I’m searching for an opportunity to work in the USA.

Right now I have around 20k little employees lazing off in the bank, and I would like to make them earn some money.

I can put them in a Vanguard fund, but in Spain, in order to put our money in Vanguard, we have to do it through an intermediary bank, thus the commission is higher (~ 0.35%).

The question I have is: Will I be able to transfer this fund to a Vanguard fund when I go to the USA (or to UK)? Is it worth starting a Vanguard fund in my situation? (I’m searching for a job, but I don’t know how much time it will take).

Thank you!

Diego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Is it possible to transfer a fund to other country?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:45:37 AM »
Thanks for your response. That's a good point, but do you think I will need more than those 20k to "get started" in USA?

I work as a programmer :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 04:46:42 AM »
Maybe you have read this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/eupersonalfinance/comments/3rwxgf/spain_lowcost_index_funds_in_spain/

I think you shouldn't focus on Vanguard. That is something primarily for Americans. You should just focus on buying a worldwide low cost index fund. In Norway I can't buy Vanguard either, but I can buy from a Norwegian index fund that covers either the whole world, or certain regions, like Asia. Maybe one of the Spanish banks or another Spanish company has a good index fund with 0,2% - 0,3% yearly cost.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 05:14:08 AM »
$20k could be a lot of money in the US or it could be little.  Really depends on where you live.  From my experience a career change or a move from one job especially when I moved tended to be a pretty expensive endeavor.  A programmer will make more in a city.  But that tends to be expensive