Author Topic: How to invest for the short term (1-2yrs)?  (Read 3978 times)

Kimbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to invest for the short term (1-2yrs)?
« on: June 18, 2013, 05:14:53 AM »
Hi, Everyone!

I am in the process of selling my house (closing next week) and will have after all the fees and taxes accounted for about $260K.  I've read much of the great advice here on MMM and jlcollinsnh, etc. and have a good idea about how I would allocate the funds for the longterm.  However, and here are the crazy thoughts,  I've been mulling over starting my own veterinary practice for quite a while.   I'm finally at a point in my life where it doesn't sound quite as crazy as it once did.

I am not ready to make the jump today but maybe I will be in the next 1-2years.  So, my question is,  part of that $260 will go to fund my startup so how should I invest the money in the meantime? I'd say the odds of starting my own business right now is 50/50.  I've got lots to learn and think over before I decide whether its the right thing to do for me.   

Thanks for your help.

Kimberly

matchewed

• Magnum Stache

Kimbl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How to invest for the short term (1-2yrs)?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:25:30 AM »
Thanks for the link.  Missed that one...

So, the upshot is put up to the FDIC limit in one or more savings accounts and any leftover in T-bills?

Kimberly

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:36:20 AM »
I would personally go with just savings accounts for all the good reasons listed in the linked thread.

George_PA

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »
I agree in that a savings account is your best option even though interest rates are so low right now;

Most other options would give you a higher return, but there would be a good chance that you 260k would be less 260k when you took it out in a year or two if you choose those other options.