Author Topic: How does my situation look, any suggestions / improvements?  (Read 4095 times)

CAPSISLOCKS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How does my situation look, any suggestions / improvements?
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:42:09 PM »
Long time reader, finally made up mind to ask suggestions since collective experience is much more than mine.

Me and wife are 34 years young (old), 1 kid 4 years, living a normal life however working towards FI for last few years only. Like most people my twenties were full of fun where I never cared how much I made or saved or spent, thankfully i did not spend more than i made.

Debt:
Mortgage - $165k
Auto - $17k
0% CC (till Sep 2015) - $3k

Current Asset/Investment -
Traditional IRA X 2 - $24.5k (100% stocks) (started both last year contributed max 2013 & 2014)
529 - $1,200  (started this year, planing to do 4k by EOY, currently on 100/week plan)
HSA - $2,050 (Vanguard ETF) (started this year, planning to do max 6.55 by EOY)
Cash Saving - $17k
House (living) - $235k (not sure if count as asset since it has mortgage)
Auto - $6k (this one is paid off couple years ago)
~
Off Shore CD Ladder (not in $) - $75k (at lowest currency exchange rate) - Generates $750+ / month and gets reinvested
Off Shore Condo - $115k (paid) - Generates $260 rent / month

2014 plan is to -
5500 X 2 - IRA (Done)
6550 - HSA (In Progress)
4000 - 529 (In Progress)

Any suggestions about where can/should i invest more? Both of us have a steady job and have no major out of ordinary expenses. Monthly expenses are under control, $ in savings are sitting idle and would like to put them to work.

Any guidance or suggestions will be appreciated.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How does my situation look, any suggestions / improvements?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
Do you use the condo? Looks like it's only making you 3% a year. Doesn't seem all that great unless it's in a popular area and the price can appreciate over inflation.

CAPSISLOCKS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »
it is in an upscale area, bought for bought for $70k, kind of retirement home.

saijoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »
Wait a minute.  You're getting $9,000 / year off a CD ladder?  If my math is right, that's 12%.  Not sure where you're getting that, but I'd like to sign up.

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:33:19 PM »
Do either of you have a 401k? What about 401k employer matching? If you have a 401k and the employer matches, contribute at least enough to get the full match.

CAPSISLOCKS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 06:19:49 PM »
Wait a minute.  You're getting $9,000 / year off a CD ladder?  If my math is right, that's 12%.  Not sure where you're getting that, but I'd like to sign up.

About that yes, banks in developing nations pay 8-10% on CD's. You can compound.

CAPSISLOCKS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 06:20:45 PM »
Do either of you have a 401k? What about 401k employer matching? If you have a 401k and the employer matches, contribute at least enough to get the full match.

No 401k for either, would have been priority #1 if we had 401k

YeahNo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »

About that yes, banks in developing nations pay 8-10% on CD's. You can compound.

What bank(s) are you with specifically. Very curious in this....

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »

What bank(s) are you with specifically. Very curious in this....

Interested as well. The only examples of this I've found were in other currencies that had an high-enough inflation to offset the additional yield.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
How does my situation look, any suggestions / improvements?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 03:50:06 AM »
There's a reason emerging markets pay a higher interest rate, because it's riskier. There is no free lunch.

Remember what the Cypress banks did a few years ago? Hope you do.

Hope you've also tried testing the withdrawal process. Many banks take your money, not all of them will return it