Author Topic: Good Deal on 401k management  (Read 3882 times)

AngusBoom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Good Deal on 401k management
« on: January 04, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »
Hi all,
I am 35 and have roughly 130k in my 401k.  My company offers a financial service to help manage my 401k in order to maximize the return. It is totally voluntary, I can choose to manage it myself if I wish.   I really don't know much about how to manage my own 401k.  It is currently in a 2040 target fund.  The company that offers this service is called Voya, and they charge 51 dollars a month which would be deducted directly from my 401k each month.

Is this service worth the cost?  Should I consider it? Or just leave it alone?  I'd appreciate any feedback.  Thanks in advance.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
Re: Good Deal on 401k management
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 07:19:30 PM »
What exactly does Voya provide that you can't do?
It is it anymore than Blooom (15/mo) which just handles asset allocation?

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »
This is a terrible deal.  Over $600 a year to put you in managed funds you are likely much better off avoiding.  Even the target date fund you are in should be scrutinized to see what the expenses of the underlying funds are as well as the expenses of this "fund of funds."

Start by reading up a little on investing.  Think about how you want your money allocated. You will get a lot of opinions here, but in your shoes I would look at the funds available to you and construct a portfolio of low cost index funds.  If you post the funds available, you will get suggestions.

AngusBoom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:37:41 PM »
I haven't paid a dime towards any management of my 401k thus far.  This was a service offered to me by Voya through my company.  From what I could understand the company would manage my 401k for me and make moves depending on the market.  Im guessing from both of your responses that it isn't a good idea.  I just won't accept the service and will educate myself on what is best for my 401k and continue to manage myself.  Thanks for the input I really do appreciate it.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:51:41 PM »
I haven't paid a dime towards any management of my 401k thus far.

Just a tiny clarification-- As Another Reader mentioned above, you pay a management fee on an ongoing basis, the expense ratio of your fund.  You just don't "see" it because it's subtracted from your gains.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:04:53 PM »
I haven't paid a dime towards any management of my 401k thus far.  This was a service offered to me by Voya through my company.  From what I could understand the company would manage my 401k for me and make moves depending on the market.  Im guessing from both of your responses that it isn't a good idea.  I just won't accept the service and will educate myself on what is best for my 401k and continue to manage myself.  Thanks for the input I really do appreciate it.
I want to be clear. Unlike Another Reader, for some people at some stages in their life with some nominal balance, this service could make sense. I'm thinking of cases like:
-With a larger nominal amount like you (e.g. it would cost you 4 basis points, and fall over time so I don't think it's that egregious)
-Where the employee never touches their 401k and leaves it to a default, such as a money market fund. Some folks can't handle or don't want to handle investment decisions. That's where Voya's target is.*

But if you are on this forum, I think we can give you more credit and assume you're up to the task of figuring out how to set up your investments. If you aren't sure, list the choices, your investment goal, and we can give suggestions for you to consider**. I had used Blooom for one month out of curiosity; in case you aren't familiar, they gauge your risk tolerance, years before retirement, and then set up an allocation with rebalancing. You could be 100% hands off still, but their fee is much less. Honestly though, it isn't that difficult to set up a good-enough investment plan and stick to it on your own.

*I'm assuming in these two cases that Voya just sets up allocations and rebalances. If they're actively moving your money in and out of funds then eek! You don't want to hand over the keys to your retirement to an active manager.
**Course most of us can't claim to be financial professionals and it's ultimately all your decision.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:06:57 PM by JZinCO »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 10:09:46 PM »
I am 35 and have roughly 130k in my 401k.  My company offers a financial service to help manage my 401k in order to maximize the return.
I think this is your wording, that they "maximize the return".  No company would promise that and stay in business. For example, if large cap value funds beat the S&P 500, you sue them for not picking large cap value.  Same thing for small cap, or emerging markets.  Nobody can predict next what will return the maximum.  Anyone promising that can be sued and they won't be able to deliver.  I think the company wanted you to think as you did, but it cannot predict the maximum fund for the upcoming year.

Does your 401(k) plan offer mutual funds from Voya?  If you opt for Voya investment management, I would expect they would prefer Voya mutual funds for your portfolio.  Many Voya funds have high expense ratios - you can see that on their website.  So I think you'll pay much more with Voya investment management than using your own selection of broad market funds.  A target retirement fund is already diversified across US/international, stocks/bonds.  Take a look at the Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 fund you're already using:
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0696&FundIntExt=INT
In the portfolio tab, you can see exactly how Vanguard has allocated.  Note target retirement funds automatically move towards bonds as you approach retirement.  So you already a decent plan with just this fund, and that for an expense ratio of 0.18%.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 10:12:32 PM by MustacheAndaHalf »

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 10:20:01 PM »
Take a look at the Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 fund you're already using

You may be right, but I don't think the OP has said the target fund is actually Vanguard.  OP, the Vanguard TRD funds *are* great, but confirm that's what you have.  Lots of other target date funds are... less good.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 06:35:19 AM »
You may be right, but I don't think the OP has said the target fund is actually Vanguard.  OP, the Vanguard TRD funds *are* great, but confirm that's what you have.  Lots of other target date funds are... less good.

I can't imagine they're less good than $51/month for "portfolio management." Even if OP's current target fund has a 1% ER, that's probably still cheaper than $51/mo plus fund expenses and any transaction fees incurred by active management.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 07:14:22 AM »
Take a look at the Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 fund you're already using
True.  It's more likely OP is looking at something like Voya Target Retirement 2040 Fund Class I:
http://financials.morningstar.com/fund/expense.html?t=IRSOX
Voya charges 0.70% yearly where Vanguard charges 0.18% yearly.