Author Topic: Financial Advisor doesn't have a clue  (Read 7685 times)

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
Financial Advisor doesn't have a clue
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:51:23 PM »
I divorced myself from my EJ financial advisor a while back and moved my IRA accounts and 529 plans to different companies. Since then he's called wanting to talk to my husband about his accounts, and asking me about some inherited money coming to me in a few months. Said he wants to invest it for me. It's hard to believe he thinks I'd come back and invest with him again. He's a nice guy but he calls or emails every other week or so. It is crazy. He should move on to someone else.

Mighty-Dollar

• Bristles
Re: Financial Advisor doesn't have a clue
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:29:07 PM »
He's a shark. Just invest in a couple of index funds. Done.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:45:03 AM »
He should realize I "divorced" myself from his investment firm and it's not likely I would refer my spouse or anyone else for his services, either.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:38:07 AM »
"We no longer have a business relationship.  That will not change.  Any further contact by you will be viewed as sexual harassment and reported as such.  Thank you.  Good bye."  And hang up.

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:40:08 AM »
"We no longer have a business relationship.  That will not change.  Any further contact by you will be viewed as sexual harassment and reported as such.  Thank you.  Good bye."  And hang up.

Sounds like a good line except for the sexual part.  That's sounds a bit out of left field.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:46:28 AM »

Sounds like a good line except for the sexual part.  That's sounds a bit out of left field.

On the other hand, this really isn't a financial advisor, it's just a salesman. I have this theory that it's OK to be a little bit rude to sales people because it's the only form of "no" they can hear.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 10:50:35 AM »

I don't know about the sexual part. The guy has never hit on me in that way. He's more interested in my wallet than anything else.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 10:51:27 AM »
On the other hand, this really isn't a financial advisor, it's just a salesman. I have this theory that it's OK to be a little bit rude to sales people because it's the only form of "no" they can hear.

Yes, salesman. That is why I stopped doing business with Edward Jones. I realized they weren't real financial advisors. They were sales people.

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »

+1

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 01:51:35 PM »
You need to clearly say to him "Do not call me ever again".  If he does, file a complaint with the police.  Nothing will likely happen besides the visit from an officer.  Hopefully that would send the message.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »

Hi.  I'm a salesman.  We understand the word no.  But we have to sell.  And there are a lot of people who say no but don't really mean no.  Or don't understand what they don't know.  Or think you're someone else.  Or who sign up for something but forgot they signed up for something.

In sales no does not mean no.  Rude doesn't mean no.  No calling back doesn't mean no.  Ignoring me, blocking me, none of that doesn't mean no.  Because I don't know that!!!!!!!  There are people who have said yes after 20 phone calls, not because they weren't interested, but because they were distracted, forgot, plain lazy, or just had bad timing.

This is what means no:
Please take me off of your list.

That is the one thing that means no.

Don't be mean to salesman.  They are doing their job.  Are there sleazy companies out there, sure.  But not all salesman are bad and not all contact is initiated by them.  Be polite and ask they to remove you from their list. 

In this case it sounds like your husband is still with him so he's trying to get you back.  Maybe you should convince your husband to leave them as well.  To be fair, if he really is calling and email as often, you should keep track of it and tell him as such specifically.  I had an adviser for years and barely heard from them except for a yearly checkup.  I like silence.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »

Hi.  I'm a salesman.  We understand the word no.  But we have to sell.  And there are a lot of people who say no but don't really mean no.  Or don't understand what they don't know.  Or think you're someone else.  Or who sign up for something but forgot they signed up for something.

In sales no does not mean no.  Rude doesn't mean no.  No calling back doesn't mean no.  Ignoring me, blocking me, none of that doesn't mean no.  Because I don't know that!!!!!!!  There are people who have said yes after 20 phone calls, not because they weren't interested, but because they were distracted, forgot, plain lazy, or just had bad timing.

This is what means no:

Don't be mean to salesman.  They are doing their job.  Are there sleazy companies out there, sure.  But not all salesman are bad and not all contact is initiated by them.  Be polite and ask they to remove you from their list. 

In this case it sounds like your husband is still with him so he's trying to get you back.  Maybe you should convince your husband to leave them as well.  To be fair, if he really is calling and email as often, you should keep track of it and tell him as such specifically.  I had an adviser for years and barely heard from them except for a yearly checkup.  I like silence.

Thanks for chiming in, fudge. And thanks for the tip too. I'll definitely try that next time I need to.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »

This is what means no:

Huh? My husband has never invested with Edward Jones. He has all his accounts with Vanguard.

And the salesman here is the one initiating the contact.  Not me or my husband.

And where are you getting that I'm "mean" to the salesman? How am I being mean to him? Please explain.  Are we "being mean" to him by not investing with him? Is that what you are trying to say here?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:11:46 PM by Chesleygirl »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 05:14:56 PM »
I think they were referring to my suggestion.

I mis-read your earlier comments.  I originally understood that the salesperson was pestering you after being told "No" multiple times.   I missed that they also wanted to talk to your husband.

"Take me off your list." is perfectly adequate in most cases.  Always try that first.   

If you have already told them not to call back, then tell them what you need to tell them to get them to stop.  And you are under no obligation to be nice after that.   

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 12:41:16 AM »

FIFY

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 04:53:09 AM »

This is what means no:

I was willing to give salespeople the benefit of the doubt before your post, but lines such as the highlighted show how sleazy they can be. If someone says yes after 20 nos, it is more likely it's the only way they can think of to get rid of you. Or that they got distracted or lazy or tired that one time after holding out as long as they could.

Sounds more like a police interrogation tactic likely to produce false confessions.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »
Say no and be a little rude.

Danger Internet Law advice! I believe if your husband still has accounts with them, and if you are in a community property state, then he has to  talk to you and your husband 1 or 2 times a year about the accounts. So getting on a do not call list may not be possible unless hubby also ditches him.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 09:12:42 AM »

This is what means no:
Please take me off of your list

Don't be mean to salesman.  They are doing their job. Are there sleazy companies out there, sure.  But not all salesman are bad and not all contact is initiated by them.  Be polite and ask they to remove you from their list. 

Okay, so thats apparently where you draw the line and stop.  But what if for some other less reputable salesman that's just considered playing hard to get? 

And, why should potential victims of high-pressure sales tactics need to make it a polite, pleasant experience for the salesman?  Badgering people with 20 phone calls, and trying to catch them off-guard or just plain wear them down doesn't seem to me like you are exhibiting the politeness you expect to receive. Most sales people are asking for and deserve the rudeness they get.

It sounds funny until you live the life.  I'm not badgering people with 20 phone calls routinely.  If someone tells me no twice, I literally stop talking to them.  But when they talk to our people and express an interest, I call them.  Sometimes a lot.  Sometimes a little.  It all depends on how much they sounded interested.  I leave voicemails.  I have no clue that you aren't interested by not answering me or telling me now's now a good time, or even saying no and hanging up.  I've had plenty of people who say no, not because they're not interested, but because it wasn't a good time to talk.  I've left 20 messages because the person said they wanted to be called and it took that long for them to finally answer.  Do not assume that I know what it is that you are thinking.  For every person who says no in a certain set of circumstances, there are those who say yes in the same set.  I've literally had a person start by saying no and then switching to a yes, not because of badgering, but because they thought we were offering something else.  We've had people who sound extremely interested and then never answer and say, "oh I thought you knew I wasn't interested because I didn't answer."  Salesman do not know what is going on in your head.

Seriously, don't assume the salesman is a jerk.  Don't assume that no means no.  Don't assume they are sleazy or that they are out to get you.  If you want them to stop calling, say, "Please take me off your list."  That is it.  Now if you are harassed after that request is made, that's an entirely different conversation.

And no Chelseygirl, I didn't mean you were being mean, that was from one of the other comments.  It sounded like your husband had accounts with him still since you said something about the adviser wanting to talk about his accounts.  If you have nothing left, then seriously yeah, tell him to stop calling and take you off his list.  If he keeps badgering you after that, then it's time to take it further up the chain.  I'd start with his company at first, but I like to keep things at the lowest level possible to resolve conflicts.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 09:21:46 AM »
+ 70,000,000
Do not accuse people of sexually harassing you if they are not doing so... this makes is harder for those who actually need to report sexual harassment or the like and makes reports of this type of harassment viewed and treated with growing skepticism. 
Please please don't suggest someone cry-wolf with this tactic.  It's a real thing that happens and need to be treated as such.
I have no other advice related to the OP, but I just couldn't let that go and get back to my workday in good conscience. 

+1

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
Seriously, don't assume the salesman is a jerk.  Don't assume that no means no.  Don't assume they are sleazy or that they are out to get you.  If you want them to stop calling, say, "Please take me off your list."  That is it.  Now if you are harassed after that request is made, that's an entirely different conversation.

And no Chelseygirl, I didn't mean you were being mean, that was from one of the other comments. 

The word "mean" came directly from your own comment, not someone else's. Go back and re-read your post. Your words were "don't be mean to the salesman". That came from you.

And sorry, but no does mean no. It always means no. It's never meant anything else.

I realize you are in sales, but I don't have to try and understand the viewpoint of the salesperson. It's not my problem. From what I have read about edward jones, most of their salespeople only last one year anyway. It's not a long term career for most.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 01:02:07 PM by Chesleygirl »

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 01:00:04 PM »
+ 70,000,000
Do not accuse people of sexually harassing you if they are not doing so... this makes is harder for those who actually need to report sexual harassment or the like and makes reports of this type of harassment viewed and treated with growing skepticism. 
Please please don't suggest someone cry-wolf with this tactic.  It's a real thing that happens and need to be treated as such.
I have no other advice related to the OP, but I just couldn't let that go and get back to my workday in good conscience. 

Are you talking to me? If so, I never said anything about accusing anyone of sexual harassment.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 01:08:39 PM »
And, why should potential victims of high-pressure sales tactics need to make it a polite, pleasant experience for the salesman?  Badgering people with 20 phone calls, and trying to catch them off-guard or just plain wear them down doesn't seem to me like you are exhibiting the politeness you expect to receive. Most sales people are asking for and deserve the rudeness they get.

That reminds me of a friend I know, who has been involved in dozens of MLMs over the years. She lives her life being upset and resentful at people who won't join, won't let her recruit them, won't buy her products. She never sees herself as the problem. She never considers getting a real career, other than multi-level marketing, hosting parties and pestering people on social media. She loves to try and wear people down. She's hardly ever earned a dime! And I realize not all sales are the same thing as MLM pyramid structures, but many sales jobs offer little to zero opportunity of ever earning a real income.

This Edward Jones guy has come over to my house with out calling first. The first few times, I didn't mind but once I stopped doing business with him, it became a nuisance for him to knock on the door. It's like I am his only potential customer. He's not doing good if he can't branch out to meet more people to talk to.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 01:46:49 PM »

And no Chelseygirl, I didn't mean you were being mean, that was from one of the other comments. 

The word "mean" came directly from your own comment, not someone else's. Go back and re-read your post. Your words were "don't be mean to the salesman". That came from you.

And sorry, but no does mean no. It always means no. It's never meant anything else.

I realize you are in sales, but I don't have to try and understand the viewpoint of the salesperson. It's not my problem. From what I have read about edward jones, most of their salespeople only last one year anyway. It's not a long term career for most.

Chelseygirl, you're right.  You don't have to understand the viewpoint of a salesperson.  I never did until I worked in sales.  And that's why this discussion is going on today.  If people just said to take me off your list, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  But people don't spend the time to see it from another perspective.  Have you ever had a friend say no I don't really want to go out, but then you got them to come out and have fun with you?  Guess what, that's a no turning into a yes.  That is sales.  Life is sales.  It's all a matter of what you're selling.  No doesn't always mean no.

I would much rather have a quick conversation where someone said to take me off the list and I never talk to them again, rather than call them even two times.

Also, here's what I was referencing to Chelsey.  I never said you were being mean.  And Janet wasn't referencing you either, but what someone said in a previous post about poor false sexual harassment advice.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 02:15:42 PM »

This is what means no:

Calling 20 times?  Thats absurd.    No doesnt mean no?   Also absurd.   No means no the first time.       Pestering someone until they cave is like preying on the weak IMO

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
Ooops, no- I don't remember who originally said it- SwordGuy or some name like that?  Wasn't referring to you

+ 70,000,000

Are you talking to me? If so, I never said anything about accusing anyone of sexual harassment.

GreatLaker

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 06:39:31 AM »
Be blunt and direct with him. Tell him not to contact you by phone, email or mail or in person any more. Tell him if he contacts you one more time you will escalate to his branch manager and EJ corporate headquarters and client relations. Then immediately after you tell him that, follow up with an email saying the same.

Avoid being mean, rude, or making unsubstantiated allegations like the previous suggestion about claiming sexual harassment. If you do so, and need to escalate to the branch manager or EJ corporate you will have weakened your own position.

Added: also keep detailed notes of every time he contacts you and what he said and your response. That will be helpful if you need to escalate to EJ HQ.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:01:01 PM by GreatLaker »

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 08:58:18 AM »
I would just ask him to take you off his list and then block his number with your mobile.  Seems easy to avoid calls in 2017.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 01:46:53 AM »
Oh my - this is why I never engage with salespeople. No means no, and I'd never give anyone with tactics that I see as dishonest any of my custom.

And yes, if salespeople really believe no does not mean no, I can see this straying into sexual assault issues - I can see the court case now, salesman up on charges, in the dock as his witness the company trainer and sales training.....

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!