Author Topic: Do you Get a Good Feeling When the Market is Up the Day After You Invest?  (Read 3711 times)

EdwardMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've been investing for 15 years--mostly in retirement accounts. I still get joy if I have some type of windfall from a business payment or whatever, and I put that money in the market, and the next day the market is up. I get that it's just the standard swells and valleys in the waves. But psychologically it's much easier to see a 1% gain the day after you drop money in the market than a 1% drop.

Today that happened - as I invested $50K at the end of last week in a Betterment Account I just opened. The $50K had been sitting in a savings account and was accumulating dust - it represented revenues from a rental property we managed that I had just been lazy about putting to work.

Do other seasoned investors still feel this way?

Edward

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
I wouldn't call myself a seasoned investor, I've never dropped a chunk of cash like $50k into an investment account, but yeah I get a small grin on my face when I throw $1k or 2 into my index funds and they bump up 1% the next day.  Not as big as the grin I get when I see dividends have been reinvested into more shares though :)

thenextguy

• Stubble
Not really.  That money you invested could show a loss in the next 12 months. It's pretty meaningless in the long-term.

EdwardMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Not really.  That money you invested could show a loss in the next 12 months. It's pretty meaningless in the long-term.

It definitely could! Nevertheless, I like getting started with an increase, even if tomorrow yields a 5% crash.

The 585

Seems like most of the time the opposite happens to me. On Friday I decided to initiate the transfer of a $7000 chunk of savings to Vanguard, but it doesn't buy until the end of the next business day. And of course, to my dismay, I see the stocks surge 1% today, right before my funds will be purchased after close. *face palm*

And then naturally, tomorrow they'll be back down and I will have bought at the 'peak'. I swear most of my larger investments happen this way...

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
Made a big purchase Friday, over 200k.  Should have made over $10000 today.  It will give and take.  Time evens it out.   Shit. Forgot a zero.  Made over 10k yesterday.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:55:33 PM by Bateaux »

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
I tend to not even know what the market is doing on a daily basis.  I may see a number here or there, but unless I'm actively doing something (as I just did when moving everything out of Betterment to avoid the fees for little value) I just stay the course and check things every year or two.

Ebrat

• Stubble
I tend to not even know what the market is doing on a daily basis.  I may see a number here or there, but unless I'm actively doing something (as I just did when moving everything out of Betterment to avoid the fees for little value) I just stay the course and check things every year or two.

Yeah, I don't think I would even notice if it went one way or the other the next day. I try to pay as little attention as possible to that.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
Made over 10k yesterday.  How bout dat!

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy when I saw it go up after buying. I just started my Roth IRA last week. I'm up a cool $41 on my initial $3000 :D

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy when I saw it go up after buying. I just started my Roth IRA last week. I'm up a cool $41 on my initial $3000 :D

Getmum Mies!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
We check our account monthly (mostly just to make sure there were no mistakes that zeroed it out or something...)

It's always nice to see it up.  Right now it seems our gains are just from deposits though :(

Ann

• Bristles
Yes!
I always check the next day to make sure the trade has gone through for my non-automated purchases.  And it does give me a happy to see that it is up.  It's like seeing a rainbow or pretty cloud.  Transient, mostly meaningless but still gives me a small good feeling.

I don't check the automated investments because I forget.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
I check my accounts about quarterly at this point. So no. I've moved on from watching the ticker towards life. My savings are on autopilot and I get to do other things. That is not to say I didn't do those things for a solid chunk of time but I realized once I understood things I no longer needed to follow them with a magnifying glass.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
Debbie Downer: No.  Honestly I get disappointed.  Unless you're about to draw off of that, you want the price to stay low until you are ready to sell.  Every time dividends reinvest off of that, they don't go as far. 

As long as you're in buying mode, turn the chart upside down and smile every time it nudges down a little bit.  Or better yet watch earnings instead and smile every time they go up. 

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache

Getmum Mies!

I'm stackin' cheddar now... In the long run, I know that $41 means nothing. My goal is to get the next $2500 in by early June. If I'm lucky, I'll catch a day when the prices are down a little. If not and it loses value the next day, no big deal. My time line is pretty long and it will eventually bounce back.