Author Topic: Can Roth 401k contributions be withdrawn after a rollover to a Roth IRA?  (Read 744 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
The thread title says it all--I'm trying to set myself up for a successful Roth ladder several years from now. I currently contribute to my 401k at work, but am thinking about adding some Roth 401k contributions as well.  Then, when I eventually FIRE, I'd roll the Roth 401k into my existing Roth IRA.

My question is this:  I know I can withdraw Roth IRA contributions after 5 years with no tax or penalty.  How does that apply to rolled-over funds from a Roth 401k?  Would I be able to withdraw the original Roth 401k contributions, after the 401k has rolled over to the Roth IRA?

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Can Roth 401k contributions be withdrawn after a rollover to a Roth IRA?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »
That's precisely what I was looking for!  Thanks--my google-fu was failing me.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 12:53:46 PM »
I know I can withdraw Roth IRA contributions after 5 years with no tax or penalty.

No need to wait five years. You can take your contributions out the next week and pay no tax on them.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »
I know I can withdraw Roth IRA contributions after 5 years with no tax or penalty.

No need to wait five years. You can take your contributions out the next week and pay no tax on them.
You're right--I was thinking of Roth conversions.