Author Topic: calling the top  (Read 10281 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
Re: calling the top
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »
No top in sight, now that Trump has revealed the - "even an idiot can get elected if you promise to de-fund government and make corporations rich" strategy.  At any moment, Trump could lower taxes (or push Congress to 'make it so'), repeal Obamacare / Medicare / and Social Security obligations, or just come out and say that corporations have free reign to pollute, pay zero (or negative) taxes, and exploit workers.  Theoretically, the US stock market could rise for '8 more years' if nothing changes (less than half-hearted yay!).  Americans will be more rich (and eating more chocolate cake) that we ever wanted.  Of course, inflation will also start to tick up, but you didn't ask about negative real returns...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:32:09 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »
Transitioning to FIRE'd albeit somewhat cautiously...

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
  • We are all strong, handsome and above average
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2017, 06:50:18 AM »
I did backesting 3 years ago, short-term treasury vs stock market

90% chances to win over any 10 years period
97% over 20 years
100% over 30 years

Even over 3 years periods, 70% had a positive outcome!

Okay, so the answer to sovereign's question appears to be "Yes, it's always been a "can't miss" proposition as long as you're willing to wait up to 30 year."

Did you use real (after inflation) market returns?  If not, any idea on how those numbers change when you account for inflation?

Inflation adjusted
"The real reason this blog exists, is simply to save the entire human race from destroying itself through overconsumption of its own habitat"

-MMM

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2017, 07:00:18 AM »

97% over 20 years
100% over 30 years

Wow. I would not have expected that.

Leveraging with low cost debt always work, if done properly!

You have to borrow money at very low cost, stay the course, pay low fees, optimise taxes, do not overleverage!
"The real reason this blog exists, is simply to save the entire human race from destroying itself through overconsumption of its own habitat"

-MMM

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »

97% over 20 years
100% over 30 years

Okay, so the answer to sovereign's question appears to be "Yes, it's always been a "can't miss" proposition as long as you're willing to wait up to 30 year."

That backtest doesn't really answer that question, because, unless you are the United States government, you generally can't borrow at the short term treasury rate (and even then, not for long term periods).  The type of debt that is best suited for leveraged investing and that is actually available to retail stock market investors (or at least the property-owning subset thereof) is mortgage debt -- the "Welcome and General Discussion" subforum currently has at least a few active threads going that examine the historical success rates of leveraged-investing-via-mortgage strategies, in addition to the umpteen older threads covering that topic that are gathering dust in the forum archives.

Did you use real (after inflation) market returns?  If not, any idea on how those numbers change when you account for inflation?

Factoring in inflation shouldn't change the results (either both sets of returns would be adjusted for inflation, or not, so the historical success rates should remain constant).

I am not in the USA but Canada. When I ran my numbers, I factored everything to be as close as possible to my reality. In Canada, the lowest borowing cost for average Joe is a variable rate mortgage. The main reason for this strategy succes is the risk increase. I am willing to take that risk within reasonable bounds.

-MMM

Retire-Canada

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »
I am not in the USA but Canada. When I ran my numbers, I factored everything to be as close as possible to my reality. In Canada, the lowest borowing cost for average Joe is a variable rate mortgage. The main reason for this strategy succes is the risk increase. I am willing to take that risk within reasonable bounds.

I am in Canada as well. My variable rate is sub 2%. It has a lot of room to increase before it even gets to the 4% rate many folks use for their calculations. Additionally the excess money I invest that could have been used to pay down the mortgage faster is in my TFSA and Non-Reg accounts so it's readily accessible if I decide I should pay my mortgage down fast.

That leaves the risk that at the moment I want to pay down my mortgage there is a market crash. There are many scenarios where even after a significant crash I would have the same or more money available by investing than by accelerating the mortgage. And I would suggest having the liquidity of those investments available to me to deal with whatever comes my way actually reduces my risk so the number of scenarios where I come out worse shrinks again.

I don't see the invest vs. accelerated payments as terribly risky even in Canada. I think the accelerated payment proponents underestimate the risks of that approach.

Le Barbu

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2017, 10:43:28 AM »

I am in Canada as well. My variable rate is sub 2%. It has a lot of room to increase before it even gets to the 4% rate many folks use for their calculations. Additionally the excess money I invest that could have been used to pay down the mortgage faster is in my TFSA and Non-Reg accounts so it's readily accessible if I decide I should pay my mortgage down fast.

That leaves the risk that at the moment I want to pay down my mortgage there is a market crash. There are many scenarios where even after a significant crash I would have the same or more money available by investing than by accelerating the mortgage. And I would suggest having the liquidity of those investments available to me to deal with whatever comes my way actually reduces my risk so the number of scenarios where I come out worse shrinks again.

I don't see the invest vs. accelerated payments as terribly risky even in Canada. I think the accelerated payment proponents underestimate the risks of that approach.

Retire-Canada, you know you can make your mortgage deductible through taxable account investing? My net rate is lower than 1.5% net actually!

-MMM

zoltani

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2017, 11:03:35 AM »
I'll need to check in with old co-workers who discuss trading stocks daily. One of them bought $10,000 of Apple the week it peaked and still complains that his broker screwed him.

I laugh since it went even higher since you posted this.
“The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life. It’s so easy to make it complex. What’s important is leading an examined life.”

Yvon Chouinard

Bateaux

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »
My call was November 2016.  So don't listen to me.  Still fully invested and buying like there is no end in sight.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
 ― Antoine de Saint Exupery-

Class of 2019