Author Topic: best guaranteed ROR for $150k  (Read 480 times)

kenmoremmm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
best guaranteed ROR for $150k
« on: January 10, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »
looking at selling a property in the highly appreciating, but likely bubbling, RE market of seattle. tempted to 1031 the proceeds, but would have to invest out of state to find something worthwhile (and then lose $ on management fees).

so, option B is to just dump it into something with no chance for a loss. i believe the market is overvalued and i will take the risk of not investing into stocks, crossing my fingers that this market timing works. if not, then it's a loss of some % on the money, and i will live with that.

i'm not familiar with much outside of CDs and bonds, and even bonds seem confusing to me at times.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
Re: best guaranteed ROR for $150k
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:55:50 AM »
For guaranteed return, there are CD's paying upward of 2% now.

You may regret it though, most folks are feeling pretty darn good about the new tax policy, share buybacks, etc.......often time the end of the bull is where the most of the gains are made.

If you time the market and sit on cash, how will you decide when to buy in?

Highly unadvised.

Amiright @homestead neohio ;)
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

29 Months till FI - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:09:56 AM »
It depends on the goal. If you plan to utilize these funds in the next year or two and you need to preserve all the capital (cannot handle a loss), holding in a money market or CD could be fine.  You may forgo some returns as you noted, but if you can live with that, it would achieve your goal.

If you plan to add this money to your FIRE stash and retire on it with a 4% SWR where your time horizon is 30 years, I'd drop it in the market per your IPS and AA.  Time in the market > timing the market.  Lump sum > DCA > paralysis and not investing.  If those thoughts make you squeamish, perhaps your AA is too aggressive for your true risk tolerance.

I tease 2B1S about his cash position because he counts it as part of his stash for 4% SWR (long time horizon) and it is against his AA.  He's taking some steps, so I alternate encouragement and face punches.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »
Don't market time.

Bonds are generally not a good place for short term money right now because of rising interest rates. I think CDs are the best no risk investment today, but there might be a higher yield FDIC insured account out there somewhere.

ChpBstrd

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 08:30:40 PM »
The "guaranteed" part is a binding constraint. I can think of many investments that aren't correlated with stocks, bonds, or Seattle real estate, but only treasuries and bank CDs come with a full guarantee. How much risk is acceptable?